BFTG - Brizzle

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Brizzle

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Aug 2021 08:35

Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal One observation that stood out to me from last night was on Azeez's goal.

Ball is crossed. Coming into Puscas to strike on goal, unmarked. Bristow tries to run in on it for a strike facing Puscas and effectively tackles him, though I'm not sure if either touches ball, taking it off his toes.

Luckily it falls to Azeez who finishes.

But WTAF is a teenage LB playing LW doing trying to take a shot off the toes of our only fit senior striker?

Was the other way round wasn't it? Bristow teeing it up and Puscas nicked it off him.

Not in my view. Ball coming straight to Puscas to swing and Bristow running in on it and stretching

Could be persuaded otherwise on rewatching. But that would at least make sense.

Just rewatched it and I think you're right.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 18 Aug 2021 08:36

tee peg One up front at home is a no go, especially Puscas.

The 1st half we played with 2 in 3-5-2.

You couldn’t tell though as the 2 strikers didn’t link. Azeez put himself out a lot more than Puscas

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 18 Aug 2021 08:43

Let's face it we have to be realistic. This will now be a fight against relegation. We need to adopt a far more defensive formation as most teams now will be better than us and try and pick up enough points to survive. During this time perhaps 2/3 of the young players will develop into championship quality.
Last night we gave the game away against a side that had not won in 12. We beat a poor side in Preston also.
We have to re-evaluate and accept that although we have a few good players we don't have a team and you need both. Be happy if we survive to fight for better things next season.
Having watched Reading for 59 years I'm well prepared for this!

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Aug 2021 08:50

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman Was the other way round wasn't it? Bristow teeing it up and Puscas nicked it off him.

Not in my view. Ball coming straight to Puscas to swing and Bristow running in on it and stretching

Yup! Bristow completely blind sided Puscas and put in a great tackle to prevent him to shoot. Luckily it fell to Azeez!!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Aug 2021 09:21

Joao being out til the new year is a massive blow and we need to bring a forward in on loan. That's if the EFL actually show discretion to our situation.

We may be scoring goals now but teams will work out how to nullify our forward threat.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2021 09:35

paddy20 Let's face it we have to be realistic. This will now be a fight against relegation. We need to adopt a far more defensive formation as most teams now will be better than us and try and pick up enough points to survive. During this time perhaps 2/3 of the young players will develop into championship quality.
Last night we gave the game away against a side that had not won in 12. We beat a poor side in Preston also.
We have to re-evaluate and accept that although we have a few good players we don't have a team and you need both. Be happy if we survive to fight for better things next season.
Having watched Reading for 59 years I'm well prepared for this!

It's not a relegation battle yet but could easily turn into one. This season goes one of two ways from here - we keep scoring fairly regularly and the defence gets sorted, we put a bit of a run together and move up the table. Our goals start to dry up and the defence remains all at sea, we're in for a long tough battle to stay up. Both are equally likely at this point.

We are, according to the club, now able to bring in loans and free's under certain guidelines, so the period up until after the break will be key for us - ideally get a few players in and use the break as a 2nd pre season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2021 09:40

Feel we are going to need some clever signings. Losing Joao and Meite for a huge chunk of the season is a hammer blow on top of the embargo

Azeez a big bonus but very clear we’ll need to bring some good players in or else it could get ugly

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 18 Aug 2021 09:43

I will try to be generous.However how bad was that Ref last night ? I will give him the benefit of the doubt on the 4 Penalty shouts;although a couple looked very “giveable”.At times he completely lost the plot,and surely after all that time wasting by Brizzie,5 minutes of extra time looks well short.However this sort of performance from the man in the middle has been going on for years.TBF to the EFL they would respond ,with well that’s the best we have got.My Son said last night that at local level,that there are very few young lads coming through to Ref,and that as the older refs disappear the grass roots game has a serious problem.
Another thread on this Forum mentioned declining attendances;I think more than any other factor;if I have to sit through another game of such poor refereeing,then I am gone.I just find it so frustrating that across a whole season, we generally have to put up with that sort of level of incompetence week in week out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2021 09:49

The handball looked very much a pen from behind the goal without benefit of a replay. But not heard it mentioned too much on here.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Aug 2021 09:49

Coppells Lost Coat
Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal Not in my view. Ball coming straight to Puscas to swing and Bristow running in on it and stretching

Yup! Bristow completely blind sided Puscas and put in a great tackle to prevent him to shoot. Luckily it fell to Azeez!!

That's harsh on Bristow.

The truth is you're both right, just poor communication I think.

Bristow to be fair to him did all the hard work running in from the left, planned a lovely one-two which would have worked nicely as the ball came straight back to him as he intended and might have worked had Puscas not decided to go for it. On the other hand technically Bristow runs in on it seemingly from nowhere and prevents Puscas' shot. Depends how far back you look to see what was going on. Can argue either way. Noone's at fault.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Aug 2021 09:59

I'll put this in bold as the young lads might be keeping tabs on the mood so...

WELL DONE BOYS!!!

Seriously, we're all doom and gloom after a close 3-2 defeat, playing with effectively a reserve team with key injuries too. Our 'kids' are doing brilliantly well. ONCE AGAIN Bristow sets it up from the left and Azeez scores from the right.

Ok so with Joao's injury especially we're not going to win the league this season, but let's see it for what it is, a team with some young lads making their mark and playing their hearts out. Bristow already looks 20 times better in my opinion than Richards ever did when he first played, and Azeez has done more and has an infinitely better attitude than Olise ever did in his first games. What a fantastic academy. The future is bright.

4 quick points:

Puscas - how shit must you be feeling as record signing to be taken off for an 18year old?
Moore - flipping amazing goal from nowhere - well done!!! Moore-odonna!
Azeez - another game, another goal, WOW
Zonal Marking for set pieces - just **** right off

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Aug 2021 10:07

Westwood52 I will try to be generous.However how bad was that Ref last night ? I will give him the benefit of the doubt on the 4 Penalty shouts;although a couple looked very “giveable”.At times he completely lost the plot,and surely after all that time wasting by Brizzie,5 minutes of extra time looks well short.However this sort of performance from the man in the middle has been going on for years.TBF to the EFL they would respond ,with well that’s the best we have got.My Son said last night that at local level,that there are very few young lads coming through to Ref,and that as the older refs disappear the grass roots game has a serious problem.
Another thread on this Forum mentioned declining attendances;I think more than any other factor;if I have to sit through another game of such poor refereeing,then I am gone.I just find it so frustrating that across a whole season, we generally have to put up with that sort of level of incompetence week in week out.

Hound The handball looked very much a pen from behind the goal without benefit of a replay. But not heard it mentioned too much on here.

The east stand side lino was abysmal too - guessing on half of the decisions.

Their 2nd goal was miles offside surely?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Aug 2021 10:18

Millsy
Coppells Lost Coat
Pepe the Horseman Just rewatched it and I think you're right.

That's harsh on Bristow.

Bristow to be fair to him did all the hard work running in from the left, planned a lovely one-two which would have worked nicely as the ball came straight back to him as he intended and might have worked had Puscas not decided to go for it. On the other hand technically Bristow runs in on it seemingly from nowhere and prevents Puscas' shot. Depends how far back you look to see what was going on. Can argue either way. Noone's at fault.

It is no ones fault because we scored. But realistically, Bristow could see Puscas and him being the striker its his right to go for the cut back and Bristow steamed in and stretched for it to take it.

It was 100% a penalty the ball struck his hand which was about 10 inches away from his body, we will see those given plenty of times this season.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Aug 2021 10:18

Westwood52 I will try to be generous.However how bad was that Ref last night ? I will give him the benefit of the doubt on the 4 Penalty shouts;although a couple looked very “giveable”.At times he completely lost the plot,and surely after all that time wasting by Brizzie,5 minutes of extra time looks well short.However this sort of performance from the man in the middle has been going on for years.TBF to the EFL they would respond ,with well that’s the best we have got.My Son said last night that at local level,that there are very few young lads coming through to Ref,and that as the older refs disappear the grass roots game has a serious problem.

Another comment that grinds my gears. What are you waffling on about. I say waffle because you took a lot here without any examples. What were the decisions which were so outrageous?

Penalties, struggling to give any of them, handball at a push.
Injury time, 5 is about right. How many did you want 10? Lost the plot? Really?
What else? Kept his card in pockets. Only complaint was the hesitancy in throw in decisions between him and his assistant but in main they got them right.

Now, this referee is not my number one choice, but seriously, your post, come on!!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Aug 2021 10:23

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal One observation that stood out to me from last night was on Azeez's goal.

Ball is crossed. Coming into Puscas to strike on goal, unmarked. Bristow tries to run in on it for a strike facing Puscas and effectively tackles him, though I'm not sure if either touches ball, taking it off his toes.

Luckily it falls to Azeez who finishes.

But WTAF is a teenage LB playing LW doing trying to take a shot off the toes of our only fit senior striker?

Was the other way round wasn't it? Bristow teeing it up and Puscas nicked it off him.

Not the way I saw it. Ball clearly running to Puscas in the better position to shoot. Just a case of over-enthusiasm by from a youngster keen to impress. If you look at the photo of Azeez striking the ball for the goal you can see Bristow had continued his run pretty much into the six yard box.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 18 Aug 2021 10:24

Millsy I'll put this in bold as the young lads might be keeping tabs on the mood so...

WELL DONE BOYS!!!

Seriously, we're all doom and gloom after a close 3-2 defeat, playing with effectively a reserve team with key injuries too. Our 'kids' are doing brilliantly well. ONCE AGAIN Bristow sets it up from the left and Azeez scores from the right.

Ok so with Joao's injury especially we're not going to win the league this season, but let's see it for what it is, a team with some young lads making their mark and playing their hearts out. Bristow already looks 20 times better in my opinion than Richards ever did when he first played, and Azeez has done more and has an infinitely better attitude than Olise ever did in his first games. What a fantastic academy. The future is bright.

4 quick points:

Puscas - how shit must you be feeling as record signing to be taken off for an 18year old?

I agree with this. Felt for puscas but it was deserved he clearly wasn't gonna score. Must have been a low point for him though. Let's hope he uses it for motivation but somehow I doubt it. Moore in general wasn't great but I guess he slightly redeemed himself. Kids were the best players on our team as others have said it was the experienced players who were slacking.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Aug 2021 10:26

Bigtimmeh
Millsy I'll put this in bold as the young lads might be keeping tabs on the mood so...

WELL DONE BOYS!!!

4 quick points:

I agree with this. Felt for puscas but it was deserved he clearly wasn't gonna score. Must have been a low point for him though. Let's hope he uses it for motivation but somehow I doubt it. Moore in general wasn't great but I guess he slightly redeemed himself. Kids were the best players on our team as others have said it was the experienced players who were slacking.

He was carrying an injury from about 20 minutes onwards I reckon. Clearly limping 15 minutes before he came off and limped to the sideline. Don't be surprised if he's not fit for Saturday.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Aug 2021 10:27

Coppells Lost Coat
Millsy
Coppells Lost Coat

That's harsh on Bristow.

It is no ones fault because we scored. But realistically, Bristow could see Puscas and him being the striker its his right to go for the cut back and Bristow steamed in and stretched for it to take it.

It was 100% a penalty the ball struck his hand which was about 10 inches away from his body, we will see those given plenty of times this season.

Agreed on the penalty. Bristol City fans saying he had his arm by his side but since the footage clearly shows a gap between his hand and the outside of his thigh, his hand/arm are by definition away from his body and therefore under the new guidelines he is making his body unnaturally large and it's a penalty. Maybe harsh but, as you say, we will see (and already have in previous seasons) plenty given for that. And that is the reason defenders tuck their hands behind their bodies nowadays.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 18 Aug 2021 10:32

Those were never pens.

Aside from letting some rough challenges go unpunished, and the hesitancy at awarding throw-ins, the only thing they really got wrong were a few GK/corner decisions.

We've seen far worse

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Aug 2021 10:49

For the handball the ref could not have been closer, he indicated the defender had his arms down by his side, correct decision in my view.