MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (a)

643 posts
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Peterborough United (a)

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 Dec 2021 14:07

Twitter saying 15 players have tested positive (inc U23s), agree can't see Fulham happening.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Dec 2021 14:08

Hound
Zip
Hound
Really? Each to their own I suppose, just find the ‘gallows humour’ tiresome and dull and makes me skip the rest

Guess I don’t have to read them etc etc

I’m surprised at you. The Reading meme stuff including your own contributions were of a similar vein. It’s light hearted stuff and in these difficult times we need some humour.

Well obviously I’m being a grumpy old git but I didnt previously read a match watch thread intro for Sutekh’s moans about Reading, often which I disagree with anyway. Sure they used to be a more objective bit of info on the match and the oppo not tired jokes about how bad we are.

The meme thread IS obvs for tired jokes about how bad we are and the regular Pauno out/relegation ones are ones where I'll go if I want to read whinges about how rubbish we may or may not be. No issue at all with threads or posts with 'humour' in them, just preferred this one as an objective match warm up, and not ones that make me want to pick holes in it

Thanks for the feedback and support on these threads. I tend to lean more towards “gallows” humour so supporting Reading down the years has been ideal for that, sorry there I go again!

Given the insanity everywhere in the world at the moment the humour is one of the few ways to try and get some people (myself included) to smile and therefore perhaps be a bit more “feelgood” - at least for a few seconds.

Of course it would help the tone a little if the club could string some decent results and/or performances together and that life would stop throwing injuries at the squad like they are going out of fashion but even so I’ll try to please everyone and add a bit more info/objectivity so it doesn’t read quite so much like a list of bad one liners.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Dec 2021 14:21

Hound Yep be very surprised if the Fulham game stays on

I’m not too disappointed from a Reading point of view -obvs be a bit bored without the games but it really should give a number of players a decent chance of getting back fit for the second half of the season.

Next game after Fulham is 3rd vs Derby - then the FA Cup game. So could be just 1 more league game before 15th Jan

May even have Joao back by then, along with Swift, Drinkwater, Ejaria, Azeez, Clarke, McIntyre and Morrison.

Could be a very different side to the WBA game. Obvs no Yiadom and Baba in January but it might only be a couple of games

Could also be a chance that we have seen the last of Andy Carroll in a Reading shirt unless we can extend his deal - ends on the 15th Jan doesn't it?

Couple of papers (admittedly one being the Mail) suggesting that there is serious consideration to behind closed doors games again - could impact our budget in terms of the FFP penalty and make extending deals even harder if it transpires.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 Dec 2021 14:45

Stranded

I’m not too disappointed from a Reading point of view -obvs be a bit bored without the games but it really should give a number of players a decent chance of getting back fit for the second half of the season.

Next game after Fulham is 3rd vs Derby - then the FA Cup game. So could be just 1 more league game before 15th Jan

May even have Joao back by then, along with Swift, Drinkwater, Ejaria, Azeez, Clarke, McIntyre and Morrison.

Could be a very different side to the WBA game. Obvs no Yiadom and Baba in January but it might only be a couple of games

Could also be a chance that we have seen the last of Andy Carroll in a Reading shirt unless we can extend his deal - ends on the 15th Jan doesn't it?

Couple of papers (admittedly one being the Mail) suggesting that there is serious consideration to behind closed doors games again - could impact our budget in terms of the FFP penalty and make extending deals even harder if it transpires.

Yes, just announced max gate in Scotland 500 from Boxing Day so we may follow

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Dec 2021 14:47

Mid Sussex Royal
Stranded

What’s the point in allowing just 500 in? Just adds more cost for football clubs to steward it.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Dec 2021 14:48

So people are urged to do something in order to carry on doing the things they enjoy doing but are rewarded with said things being taken away?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Dec 2021 14:59

Sutekh
Hound
Zip
I’m surprised at you. The Reading meme stuff including your own contributions were of a similar vein. It’s light hearted stuff and in these difficult times we need some humour.

Well obviously I’m being a grumpy old git but I didnt previously read a match watch thread intro for Sutekh’s moans about Reading, often which I disagree with anyway. Sure they used to be a more objective bit of info on the match and the oppo not tired jokes about how bad we are.

The meme thread IS obvs for tired jokes about how bad we are and the regular Pauno out/relegation ones are ones where I'll go if I want to read whinges about how rubbish we may or may not be. No issue at all with threads or posts with 'humour' in them, just preferred this one as an objective match warm up, and not ones that make me want to pick holes in it

Thanks for the feedback and support on these threads. I tend to lean more towards “gallows” humour so supporting Reading down the years has been ideal for that, sorry there I go again!

Given the insanity everywhere in the world at the moment the humour is one of the few ways to try and get some people (myself included) to smile and therefore perhaps be a bit more “feelgood” - at least for a few seconds.

Of course it would help the tone a little if the club could string some decent results and/or performances together and that life would stop throwing injuries at the squad like they are going out of fashion but even so I’ll try to please everyone and add a bit more info/objectivity so it doesn’t read quite so much like a list of bad one liners.

Thanks Sutekh, sorry and yes I was being a bit grumpy but honestly preferred them as a read when a bit more straight at least in the intro bit. Then let people pile in with the negativity and crap jokes from there :)

I mean some of us don't actually think we are either that bad or doing that badly considering the circumstances. Without the deduction (in no way Pauno's fault) and with a horrendous run of luck and injuries we'd actually be fairly stable lower mid table. So for me seeing stuff like 'so bad they lost to Reading' just grates a little. But do enjoy all the info and team news stuff and appreciate the effort.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Dec 2021 15:03

Stranded

Yeah there is that, but a fit and on form Joao is probably more effective than Carroll. But in some ways suspect its more likely he'd extend as there'd be maybe slightly less chance of a bigger club taking a punt on him without him playing more games for us?

Would hope the EFL would take that into consideration if we have to play behind closed doors again. though if we keep cancelling games, they might well be no restrictions again by the time we next have a home game...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Dec 2021 15:06

Mid Sussex Royal Twitter saying 15 players have tested positive (inc U23s), agree can't see Fulham happening.

be interesting if they did all track the infections back to the WBA game. But yeah unlikely, though depends when they tested positive. May all be out of the 10 day period by then

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Dec 2021 15:29

Hound
Mid Sussex Royal Twitter saying 15 players have tested positive (inc U23s), agree can't see Fulham happening.

be interesting if they did all track the infections back to the WBA game. But yeah unlikely, though depends when they tested positive. May all be out of the 10 day period by then

Depends on when symptoms started to show (if symptomatic) and if many still test positive at the end of quarantine - as well as how many are having to isolate as close contact of a omicron case - this could trundle on for a little while - especially if we still have a large number of players out injured making naming a squad in line with what the EFL say you need close to impossible.

Fulham is possible but am expecting the first game to be Derby and that that will be behind closed doors.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 Dec 2021 15:51

Zip
Mid Sussex Royal
Stranded

What’s the point in allowing just 500 in? Just adds more cost for football clubs to steward it.

Completely agree, ask Nicola Sturgeon

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 21 Dec 2021 15:57

Hound
Sutekh
Hound

Thanks Sutekh, sorry and yes I was being a bit grumpy but honestly preferred them as a read when a bit more straight at least in the intro bit. Then let people pile in with the negativity and crap jokes from there :)

I mean some of us don't actually think we are either that bad or doing that badly considering the circumstances. Without the deduction (in no way Pauno's fault) and with a horrendous run of luck and injuries we'd actually be fairly stable lower mid table. So for me seeing stuff like 'so bad they lost to Reading' just grates a little. But do enjoy all the info and team news stuff and appreciate the effort.

I think most of us realise the comments are meant to be a joke, though. Some of the Sutekh's comments can even bring a short lasting smile to crack this old, sad face of mine! I know we have been dealt an awful hand this season (worst I can remember in a lifetime of following the Biscuitmen/Royals), if we can't have a little bit of humour in this gone crazy world, when can we?

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 21 Dec 2021 17:25

[/quote]

Hi Hound, i think i read somewhere that the ACON may not go ahead due to covid. Would be a huge bonus if this gets scrapped. :D

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Dec 2021 17:25

Match off according to Sky

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Dec 2021 17:27

Mid Sussex Royal
Zip
Mid Sussex Royal

Completely agree, ask Nicola Sturgeon

Isn’t that about 1/4 attendance outside the big 4 in Scotland?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Dec 2021 17:35

Stranded
Hound

Depends on when symptoms started to show (if symptomatic) and if many still test positive at the end of quarantine - as well as how many are having to isolate as close contact of a omicron case - this could trundle on for a little while - especially if we still have a large number of players out injured making naming a squad in line with what the EFL say you need close to impossible.

Fulham is possible but am expecting the first game to be Derby and that that will be behind closed doors.

I’d be hacked off if Derby is behind closed doors. I haven’t seen my long standing mate for a few years. He is a Derby fan and we were planning to meet up for the game. He has bought his tickets. He has lost both parents this year. His dad died on the day of his mother’s funeral. How tough is that?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 21 Dec 2021 22:06

Mid Sussex Royal
Stranded

Seems a large number for most Scottish games

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 21 Dec 2021 22:06

Ascotexgunner Match off according to Sky

Pauno out

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 22 Dec 2021 07:21

Ridiculous now. Just cancel football ffs

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Dec 2021 07:35

NathStPaul So people are urged to do something in order to carry on doing the things they enjoy doing but are rewarded with said things being taken away?

Maybe try convincing those that are not doing something to do it

643 posts