Shane Long, take a bow

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 22 Apr 2007 13:01

Alan Partridge He was the difference when he came on. Before we looked sluggish, disorganised and one dimensional, we were never going to score.

Long gave us that bit of pace, a willingness to run the channels and an outlet.

I'm not convinced Kitson is good enough for this level, it may be down to his injuries or whatever, but he looks disinterested, easy to play against and he doesn't have that swagger he had a year ago.

I agree think that if Kitson doesn't do well next year he will never be a premiership player - the mental thing is that I can't say that about anyone else in the squad let alone the team (well maybe Oster). Don't be surprised if Coppell picks up a big striker at some point over the coming season...

doylefan

by doylefan » 22 Apr 2007 13:02

the game changed when Long came on. he allowed Doyle and Hunt to make the runs and provided some much needed pace - well done Long!

fool

by fool » 22 Apr 2007 13:27

I wouldn't right off Kitson yet I think he will prove himself at this level.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 22 Apr 2007 13:30

mikey0406 hmmmmm, spoke to kits after the game outside the playrs entrance, he quoted:

when asked about his injury:
"definatly not 100%, and wont be until the end of preseason, i would like to blame my performance today on that, but i was just crap"

Long gotta start next week, with Kits now as little as poss till the end of the season, we dont need anyone missing preseason!

Thanks for sharing that info, I have been of the opinion that Kits is not fit.
Hope that next season he is back to his best, his best being good enough for me.

As for Shane Long, he does not need to go on loan anywhere, he is learning his trade at RFC. He fits in well with his team mates and you can clearly see his enjoyment. IMHO loaning him out would be a BIG mistake and I do not think that it will happen unless another striker is brought in.
Shane is learning from Doyle and runs the channels for the team, and in doing so creates space for others. I actually think he has more skill that Doyle but needs to add strength which will come within a year or two.

What a prospect.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 22 Apr 2007 13:33

fool I wouldn't right off Kitson yet I think he will prove himself at this level.

Not writing him off at all, just an observation. So far he's been below par, may be fitness? i don't think it will be a lack of belief with him.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 22 Apr 2007 13:34

an excellent talent, changed the game.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 22 Apr 2007 13:44

Ollie Kearns is in Buxton
Coppell's Right Footed 11 ... lucky Seol played a decent ball in.

and lucky Doyle scored...

Many players wud have cut infield rather than crossing from where he finally collected Long's wayward effort. He tee-d it up n trusted himself to deliver fairly accurately, flatish n with pace.

Still, if that's called being lucky, hope it continues!

You misinterpreted what i meant to say, my fault to be honest i did'nt make it clear. Meant lucky Seol played a decent ball in, as in it was Lucky Seol played a decent ball in otherwise a good position to score from Long would of been wasted

Ollie Kearns is in Buxton
Location: Near the source of the UK's No 1 Natural Mineral Water

by Ollie Kearns is in Buxton » 22 Apr 2007 15:44

Use of the adverb 'Luckily' wud have bin better than the adjective then...no probs then.

My Objection is happily withdrawn!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 22 Apr 2007 16:16

Schards#2
Royalee
Maguire
Royalee
Y21 Super sub or starter? For now, I'd stick with the super sub appearances - Kitson still ahead of him for the starting bearth.

Starter - he was superb at Charlton and as much as I like Kits, he's been simply dreadful lately and needs a full pre-season before he's ready again. Long fully deserves his chance and I'm not basing this on just today, I'm basing it on the last 4 or 5 times I've seen him play.

"Superb" at Charlton??

I know I slept through half the game, but did he actually touch the ball?

Several times and made good use of it. You obviously chose to go to sleep at wrong times of the game.

:lol:

Well done Long for yesterday, but he had a mare at Charlton. You're trying to rewrite history to support your argument, but to say he was "Superb at Charlton" just totally undermines it.

You clearly weren't at Charlton then.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 22 Apr 2007 16:17

mikey0406 hmmmmm, spoke to kits after the game outside the playrs entrance, he quoted:

when asked about his injury:
"definatly not 100%, and wont be until the end of preseason, i would like to blame my performance today on that, but i was just crap"

Long gotta start next week, with Kits now as little as poss till the end of the season, we dont need anyone missing preseason!

Typical honest Kitson - fair play to him for admitting his performance was below par and I'm sure he'll prove his immense class next season when he's 100% fit.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Apr 2007 16:32

Woah woah hang on.

It's one thing to say well done to Long for his superb job but it's another thing to say Kitson is therefore rubbish.

You have to factor in the change of tactics, Coppell's instructions to Long and the fresh legs of Long when he came on.

The old game plan wasn't working - not Kitson himself: Long changed things by introducing a new game plan with fresh legs (and his own excellence). If he was on from the beginning and Kitson was the one to come on with fresh legs and a new tailored gameplan we might have been singing Kitson's praises instead!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Apr 2007 16:57

Royalee
Schards#2
Royalee
Maguire
Royalee
Y21 Super sub or starter? For now, I'd stick with the super sub appearances - Kitson still ahead of him for the starting bearth.

Starter - he was superb at Charlton and as much as I like Kits, he's been simply dreadful lately and needs a full pre-season before he's ready again. Long fully deserves his chance and I'm not basing this on just today, I'm basing it on the last 4 or 5 times I've seen him play.

"Superb" at Charlton??

Several times and made good use of it. You obviously chose to go to sleep at wrong times of the game.

Well done Long for yesterday, but he had a mare at Charlton. You're trying to rewrite history to support your argument, but to say he was "Superb at Charlton" just totally undermines it.

You clearly are living in an alternate universe.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 22 Apr 2007 22:04

Platypuss
Royalee
Schards#2
Royalee
Maguire
Royalee

"Superb" at Charlton??

You clearly are living in an alternate universe.

It isn't worth the effort. There are some people out there who will not believe that Long is a footballer. Tney are wrong, and that is that. Sad really isn't it, that they can be so deliberately blind to the facts..

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 22 Apr 2007 22:31

Long -very good yesterday, good prospect and is different to our other strikers because he is quick!!

but he was shit at Charlton. How anyone can say otherwise is stunning. :shock: