What has happened to you all?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 30 Sep 2007 12:22

Fat Leather Jacket A new Manager would still have the problem of attracting players to the club. We couldnt get the players we wanted in the summer before a ball had been kicked - and that was after we finished 8th.

Come to Reading, we're struggling but we'll give you 50k a week.

Although we don't know, everything the club has said has indicated we could attract players in the summer, but Coppell didn't want them. Which is gonna play massively against Coppell.

Yeah it's gonna be bloody hard to attract players in Jan, but that it seems is because of Coppell's decisions this summer.

Plus it's what Chairman do. I think lesser Chairman's than JM could have sacked Coppell last night.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 30 Sep 2007 12:26

PEARCEY
PEARCEY
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe I disagree strongly about Coppell. He's has done amazing with this club, when things are going well he's the best manager on the planet. But when things are bad, just look at the season before we got promoted and ask yourself, is Coppell gonna get us out of this? If so, why?

Coppell will get till Jan. If things are still this bad and there is no sign that they won't be, The Chairman, who cannot afford to be relegated, rightly or wrongly will swing the axe.

I would be surprised if SC was sacked...besides who is available to take his place and try and bring in players good enough within a very tight and limited wage structure?

The Chairman will want to spend all the money he can in Jan. He'll lose an unbelievable amount of money if we go down.

It's not just about bringing players in, can Coppell motivate them when things are bad? The season before we got promoted he didn't have a clue what to do and we didn't even make the play offs when we'd looked certs for automatics in Jan. It wasn't until Hammond and the board put their foot down and restructured in the summer that things improved.

I agree that JM will lose a lot of money if we go down but I feel you are being unduly harsh on SC. Yes we were poor in the second half of the season two years ago but every manager is entitled to have a bad run at some stages.
SC is more than capable of keeping us up and I cannot agree with you about the money side of things. As far as I can read it JM wants wages kept within strict parameters.

It's harsh to harp back to the season before promotion after all the guy has done in the last two seasons. But it's the only other time we've been in this situation with Coppell and he didn't know what to do. It was so similar to this situation. He kept Brooker and Hughes, we had Owusu up front, he kept refusing to buy players, despite all the teams around us strengthening.

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 30 Sep 2007 12:28

hybrid2005 we thrive on a challenge :lol:

we doing it for the suspence before winning every game after xmas and still missing out on europe the reading way :wink:

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 30 Sep 2007 12:30

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL
hybrid2005 we thrive on a challenge :lol:

we doing it for the suspence before winning every game after xmas and still missing out on europe the reading way :wink:

....He says with tongue very firmly in cheek.

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 30 Sep 2007 12:34

Fat Leather Jacket A new Manager would still have the problem of attracting players to the club. We couldnt get the players we wanted in the summer before a ball had been kicked - and that was after we finished 8th.

Although we don't know, everything the club has said has indicated we could attract players in the summer, but Coppell didn't want them. Which is gonna play massively against Coppell.

Yeah it's gonna be bloody hard to attract players in Jan, but that it seems is because of Coppell's decisions this summer.

Plus it's what Chairman do. I think lesser Chairman's than JM could have sacked Coppell last night.

The only way we are going to get players to this club is by doubling the wage ceiling, and im not sure I want to see Reading go down that route. The only criticism I have of Coppell at the moment would be his loyalty to certain players who could frankly do with a long bloody rest on the bench.

We have players chomping at the bit wanting competitive football and instead they are decaying in the reserves.

Coppell should a get a bollocking from the Chairman, and possibly that has already happened.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 30 Sep 2007 12:43

Fat Leather Jacket

The only way we are going to get players to this club is by doubling the wage ceiling, and im not sure I want to see Reading go down that route. The only criticism I have of Coppell at the moment would be his loyalty to certain players who could frankly do with a long bloody rest on the bench.

We have players chomping at the bit wanting competitive football and instead they are decaying in the reserves.

Coppell should a get a bollocking from the Chairman, and possibly that has already happened.

The wage structure will be broken come Jan. Even if that means the Chairman going over Coppell's head.

That could be a very bad thing, Coppell will have to earn his money and make it work though.

This squad playing the way it is will go down. I really think you over estimate the quality we;ve got to come in.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Sep 2007 14:53

PEARCEY
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe I disagree strongly about Coppell. He's has done amazing with this club, when things are going well he's the best manager on the planet. But when things are bad, just look at the season before we got promoted and ask yourself, is Coppell gonna get us out of this? If so, why?

Coppell will get till Jan. If things are still this bad and there is no sign that they won't be, The Chairman, who cannot afford to be relegated, rightly or wrongly will swing the axe.

I would be surprised if SC was sacked...besides who is available to take his place and try and bring in players good enough within a very tight and limited wage structure?

The Chairman will want to spend all the money he can in Jan. He'll lose an unbelievable amount of money if we go down.

It's not just about bringing players in, can Coppell motivate them when things are bad? The season before we got promoted he didn't have a clue what to do and we didn't even make the play offs when we'd looked certs for automatics in Jan. It wasn't until Hammond and the board put their foot down and restructured in the summer that things improved.

You mean it wasn't until Coppell finished building his own team and set them loose on the world. He's now rebuilding again. If we can make it through this season he'll unleash a monster on the prem, and if not then we're strong enough to stay at the top of the champ.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 30 Sep 2007 14:55

What's he rebuilding with?? He can't do anything until Jan at the earliest and I can't see loads of players beating a path to our door when we're adrift of the Prem.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Sep 2007 15:44

Fat Leather Jacket I very much doubt our Chairman would sack Coppell in January should we still be dire. It would achieve absolutely nothing.
Agreed. I can't see any other manager doing any better and getting more out of the players with the funds available.

If the worst happens and we go down, We can be thankfull we've got a manager who can get teams promoted, knows the championship very well, can spot a bargain and will be more experienced.