So what did for Rodgers?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: So what did for Rodgers?

by paultheroyal » 16 Dec 2009 20:54

the fact our next manager is about to be poached by Sheffield Wednesday.

AbingdonRoyal

by AbingdonRoyal » 16 Dec 2009 21:02

people were waiting for him to come out of the stadium on Saturday in the car park, I dont think they were waiting for autographs! Probably nothing to do with it but probably didnt help

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 16 Dec 2009 21:05

Just listened to that podcast. Was that it? Quivering public schoolboy nervously asks a very poorly worded question and Rodgers gets a bit annoyed. What a disappointment.

Bit like Rodgers' overall reign I guess.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Dec 2009 21:06

Ian Royal TBH if Rodgers went to Madejski and said I need a few million in Janaury, Madj would have been well within his rights to take him by the ear and throw him out the door saying:

"I gave you £3.5m in the summer and you've oxf*rd up the first 6 months spectacularly you odious little toad. What the hell makes you think I'm going to trust you with another £3m!?"

And the response might have been "The real toad, or should that be turd, is sat in front of me. You really are the egotistical, not for turning tight wad that some supporters have been describing you as. I would remind you Mr High and Mighty Chairman that I only sold and bought the players that I did, after you assured me that you would provide the funding that I required to purchase my main target and the player who was always key to me delivering on my promises to you. Trouble was, you were so slow trying to extricate that wallet out of your tight posterior that we lost out on him. 'Never mind' you said, ' the money that we were going to spend on Smith is still available and that's in addition to the McAnuf and Rasiak signings'. Now, when I come to you to explain that I need to buy a proven goalscorer in the January transfer window, in order to ensure our survival in this division, not only do you tell me the £2M is not there but that I've also got to sell at least one member of the current first team in order to balance the books!'

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 16 Dec 2009 21:25

Personally i can see it both ways.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 16 Dec 2009 21:26

One word response: Mills.

No, a few more. Are you seriously suggesting that the success of our entire season depended on signing Smith? Come on, please. Rodgers was out of his depth. How many strikers did we have on Saturday playing? One. How many on the bench? nil. FFS, most of us could have done a better job.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Dec 2009 21:28

Man Friday One word response: Mills.

No, a few more. Are you seriously suggesting that the success of our entire season depended on signing Smith? Come on, please. Rodgers was out of his depth. How many strikers did we have on Saturday playing? One. How many on the bench? nil. FFS, most of us could have done a better job.

The only trouble I'd have had in out performing Rodgers is credibility with the players.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 16 Dec 2009 21:30

I'm convinced Rodgers walked due to lack of money in January. Whoever we get next will either be promoted from within or on a short term contract, no doubt with bonuses for keeping us up to offset the poor wage he'll be on.

I'm beginning to wonder if Madejski has personal financial issues.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Dec 2009 21:35

79Royal I'm convinced Rodgers walked due to lack of money in January. Whoever we get next will either be promoted from within or on a short term contract, no doubt with bonuses for keeping us up to offset the poor wage he'll be on.

Well that will be easy to answer after January when we see who is our manager aand who (s)he signs.

Although even if we spend a fair amount and bring in players the same old culprits will trot out the same old lines about no money and tightness.

I was right in the summer, I see no reason to be of a different view now. Money is tight, but we'll bring a few players in. We have no choice.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 16 Dec 2009 21:40

Ian Royal
79Royal I'm convinced Rodgers walked due to lack of money in January. Whoever we get next will either be promoted from within or on a short term contract, no doubt with bonuses for keeping us up to offset the poor wage he'll be on.

Well that will be easy to answer after January when we see who is our manager aand who (s)he signs.

Although Mr Mad might be more willing to give money to someone new to rebuild and bring in players with the 'right DNA' than to give Rodgers even more money to bring in more players with the right DNA who just sit on the bench or lose their position to someone who plays a completely different position and so on...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Dec 2009 21:42

rob the royal
Ian Royal

Although Mr Mad might be more willing to give money to someone new to rebuild and bring in players with the 'right DNA' than to give Rodgers even more money to bring in more players with the right DNA who just sit on the bench or lose their position to someone who plays a completely different position and so on...

Well yes, that's definitely a good point. I mean you'd have to be hesitant about throwinig more Money at Rodgers given what he'd achieved with £3.5 MILLION. Madj must have been having flashbacks to Burns.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 16 Dec 2009 21:43

He certainly knew he was on borrowed time. He made a comment a week or two ago that surprised me suggesting that if he got the boot, life goes on. Didn't think much of it at the time but looking back...

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 16 Dec 2009 21:44

Ian Royal is our manager aand who (s)he signs..

Are you drunk? lol

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 16 Dec 2009 21:51

Woody_Royal
runrunrunrungilksey Has anyone got a link to this "Dellor" interview?

You can listen to it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/readingfc

First time I had listened to that. Rodgers definitely over-reacted a bit bit how anyone could say we were worse v Scunthorpe rather than v Palace is beyond me - idiot.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 16 Dec 2009 21:54

Royal Rother I doubt it was results alone.

I suspect SJM will have been singularly unimpressed with Rodgers' inability to keep his cool under pressure and that it may actually have been Dellor's interview that nailed him.

Thoughts?

I agree. I couldn't believe the Dellor interview. I don't think that helped one iota. Discussions around money (or lack of) and having to sell to raise funds (i.e Marek) may also be contributory factors

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 16 Dec 2009 21:58

FiNeRaIn

Are you drunk? lol

LOL

Didn't notice that.

Come on Ian, spill the beans... who is it gonna be? Delia Smith? Karen Brady?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Dec 2009 22:00

rob the royal
FiNeRaIn

Are you drunk? lol

LOL

Didn't notice that.

Come on Ian, spill the beans... who is it gonna be? Delia Smith? Karen Brady?

I've got Hope. :wink:

:lol:

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 16 Dec 2009 22:05

The Rouge
Woody_Royal
runrunrunrungilksey Has anyone got a link to this "Dellor" interview?

You can listen to it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/readingfc

First time I had listened to that. Rodgers definitely over-reacted a bit bit how anyone could say we were worse v Scunthorpe rather than v Palace is beyond me - idiot.

Tim Dellor = total idiot

Rodgers response may not have been the cleverest but I'd be pissed off with Dellor who's been looking to cause trouble all season.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 16 Dec 2009 22:54

What did for him, same as any other manager - results (not performances). I would presume there were targets set when he got the job and he was nowhere close when it came to review time. Many of those targets would also impact on the club in general - half season ticket offers, new commercial sponsors, optimistic positive supporters prepared to spend their dosh in the club shop. What did SJM get, a side closer to relegation than is comfortable, declining attendances, apathetic fan base due to lack of home wins, poor merchandising and franchise sales and a direction of travel that was down instead of up.

Some of that may be due to the economy in general but much of it was down to the lack of identity or focus round the team, a team that consistently failed to win at home, a team that had not gelled and a manager that didn't really connect with the supporters in general as the gap between his public statements and what was happening on the pitch was massive - Palace and Scunthorpe probably put the tin hat on the decision as once again instead of building on a positive away result the his team self destructed taking one point from a very winnable six just before the budget decisions for the January window.

Blue_Elm

by Blue_Elm » 17 Dec 2009 00:03

Royal Rother I doubt it was results alone.

I suspect SJM will have been singularly unimpressed with Rodgers' inability to keep his cool under pressure and that it may actually have been Dellor's interview that nailed him.

Thoughts?

If so, can we build a Dellor statue in the car park