MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

257 posts
higher
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

by higher » 01 Nov 2022 21:44

Clean sheet and an away point. Disjointed performance. Luton crapper than us.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Nov 2022 21:44

Unfortunate not to come away with all 3, probably shaded the game in terms of opportunities created, just lacked quality in the final third. Decent point overall all things considered, good to keep us ticking over.

MOTM: Tom Holmes for me.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Nov 2022 21:45

Hound
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 This must be the worst I've seen Hoilett in the final third for a good long while.

Ince, Hendrick, Lumley Long and Holmes are the only ones with any credit...

Bit Unfair

Thought we were by far the better side away at a top ten side

Just lacking the final ball or finish - Carroll should have had a couple. Decent away point but should have been 3

We were better, but both sides were really poor.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 01 Nov 2022 21:46

Exciting? Utterly dire game of football. Loose passes, players constantly miscontrolling the ball, and few shots on target.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Nov 2022 21:46

Apparently we had 17 shots

Cov beating Blackburn…this division is ridiculous

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Nov 2022 21:47

Decent result. Thought we competed really well and edged the game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Nov 2022 21:48

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal Ince, Hendrick, Lumley Long and Holmes are the only ones with any credit...

Bit Unfair

Just lacking the final ball or finish - Carroll should have had a couple. Decent away point but should have been 3

I doubt many teams will come to this dump and look great tbh. Luton drag you down to their terrible level

Disappointing thing for me was the amount of situations we had that’d didn’t end in a good chance. Poor crosses, shooting from too far out etc. thought defensively and generally in midfield we were pretty good

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Nov 2022 21:55

Carroll was poor in some areas but my God he got through some work.

Fair play to him, no doubting his commitment to the cause. Considering he is probably a multi millionaire earning a tenth of what he has done I am full of admiration for him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Nov 2022 22:04

Our strikers are not scoring enough
Carroll should have done a lot better with his headers. Meite should have buried his chance.

We are not scoring enough.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Nov 2022 22:08

Zip Our strikers are not scoring enough
Carroll should have done a lot better with his headers. Meite should have buried his chance.

We are not scoring enough.

True, we don't really seem to have an alternative when Joao is out of form.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 01 Nov 2022 22:16

Hound Apparently we had 17 shots

Cov beating Blackburn…this division is ridiculous

Bottom three all won

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 01 Nov 2022 22:24

Good point but two useless teams. Our passing is woeful, how the hell did Chelsea pay so much for Baba, he’s worse than Colin Bailie.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Nov 2022 22:52

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound
Bit Unfair

I doubt many teams will come to this dump and look great tbh. Luton drag you down to their terrible level

Disappointing thing for me was the amount of situations we had that’d didn’t end in a good chance. Poor crosses, shooting from too far out etc. thought defensively and generally in midfield we were pretty good

Truth.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Nov 2022 23:13

Just home. For a 0-0 that was a decent game. We had the best chances to win that and probably should have done. A point is good though. Glad to see the team keep it up after that sucker punch at Burnley.

I like Carroll and Long but I don't think there's enough goals between them, both work hard but aren't great finishers. João must start on Friday v Preston. Carroll who had a good game should be benched.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 01 Nov 2022 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Nov 2022 23:18

Surprised at some of the negativity on here. It wasn’t a great game by any stretch but Luton do the ugly side of the game very well and we more than matched them, a far cry from some of the weak insipid teams we’ve had in the past that would have rolled over. You only have to go as far back as January against Luton under Paunovic to notice the improvements in the side

Would put everyone at pretty much a 6/10, Holmes and Ince slightly higher, Hoilett and Rahman slightly lower. Said pre match that those two are a concern and they were our weakest players once again, very little attacking output from either of them. Would be surprised if Guinness Walker isn’t back in on Friday

Ejaria getting a fair amount of stick but thought he did OK, battled well in midfield. I’m not sure what people are expecting from him, he hasn’t consistently provided offensively in the three/four years he’s been here. If he can contribute in other areas of the midfield, he can be a useful asset for the squad
Last edited by URZZZZ on 01 Nov 2022 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Nov 2022 23:22

URZZZZ Surprised at some of the negativity on here. It wasn’t a great game by any stretch but Luton do the ugly side of the game very well and we more than matched them, a far cry from some of the weak insipid teams we’ve had in the past that would have rolled over. You only have to go as far back as January against Luton under Paunovic to notice the improvements in the side

Would put everyone at pretty much a 6/10, Holmes and Ince slightly higher, Hoilett and Rahman slightly lower. Said pre match that those two are a concern and they were our weakest players once again, very little attacking output from either of them. Would be surprised if Guinness Walker isn’t back in on Friday

Ejaria getting a fair amount of stick but thought he did OK, battled well in midfield. I’m not sure what people are expecting from him, he hasn’t consistently provided offensively in the three/four years he’s been here. If he can contribute in other areas of the midfield, useful asset for the squad

Agree on Ejaria who had a solid game today. People know what he is capable of and is very tricky, but away from home you have to dig in a bit and he definitely did that. He often slows the game down and this was a tough slog tonight. I do wish he was more consistent but if he was then he wouldn't be our player

JR

by JR » 02 Nov 2022 00:34

Millsy Don't quite understand people knocking the game, there's been quite a few chances and drama.

The ground is shit - makes Loftus Road look good - but the game itself isn't bad.

Agreed Millsy, it was a thoroughly enjoying encounter. Liked it being a bit more agricultural.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Nov 2022 00:46

Scrappy game void of any real quality but good to stop the rot away from home. A point and clean sheet is all you can ask for atm.

My first time to Kenilworth Road, what an absolute dive but very cool walking through the houses.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Nov 2022 07:37

My expectations are maybe low but I thought that was a decent game last night. Yes, it was ugly in places but we got a point away at one of last season’s playoff teams. We had the better chances to win the game and overall it was a solid performance.

It’s good to see us not getting thumped these days. We have lost recent games by the odd goal and we were competitive in all of them and we’ve been on the end of some poor refereeing decisions. I’d take a point away from home all day long.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2022 08:14

URZZZZ Surprised at some of the negativity on here. It wasn’t a great game by any stretch but Luton do the ugly side of the game very well and we more than matched them, a far cry from some of the weak insipid teams we’ve had in the past that would have rolled over. You only have to go as far back as January against Luton under Paunovic to notice the improvements in the side

Ejaria getting a fair amount of stick but thought he did OK, battled well in midfield. I’m not sure what people are expecting from him, he hasn’t consistently provided offensively in the three/four years he’s been here. If he can contribute in other areas of the midfield, he can be a useful asset for the squad

Agree with all of this. Don’t need a long memory to recall games when we’d have rolled over, let them beat us up and come away with a 2-0 defeat.

We more than matched them and that’s a huge step in the right direction

Noted someone called Ejaria a luxury player in the thread. As said it’s been years since he was that. I thought he was solid bar the two slips and won his fair share of tackles and headers. Not a great game but a 6/10 like most of the rest of them

257 posts