MATCHWATCH : Cheltenham Town (a)

235 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cheltenham Town (a)

by Hound » 30 Dec 2023 13:15

Snowflake Royal Preach.

For all our up turn in form, I don’t think we're actually playing that well. We've just reduced the errors and started taking those individual chances.

Yeah. Said at the time when we were losing we weren’t playing terribly just the errors/missed chances

Not a lot has changed other than our strikers being much more efficient and have stopped conceding the late goals in the last set of fixtures

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 30 Dec 2023 13:22

YorkshireRoyal99 After a truly abysmal 40 odd minutes we showed really good character to take a point from the game being 2-0 down, credit to the players for that. It was always going to be a struggle against an improving side, so far from the worst result in the world considering where we were near half time.

1 defeat in 8 although we need to beat Exeter and start turning some of these draws into wins just to get amongst the group in mid-table.

It’s the sort of game we would’ve fallen apart in a couple of months ago, especially after conceding such a comical second. Cheltenham we’re seventh over the previous ten going into the game; based on last night, they’ll get out of the relegation zone - there are far worse sides in lower mid-table.

We do need to convert some of these draws into wins, but we’ve played a lot of the better sides in the division recently. The next three are very winnable on paper.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Dec 2023 14:30

Royal_jimmy
scumbag
WestYorksRoyal When I see these "how we have fallen" comments, my thought is always "where the oxf*rd have you been?".

Yes, we have fallen. Big time. It's been shit for worse, with 2023 merely piling on diarrhoea icing on a shit cake we built from 2017 - 2022. But, there is a chance that this season is the worst it gets if we stay up on the pitch and get new owners off it. We may not have shit sprinkles to go on top of a GBBO style showstopper shit cake. So celebrate a lucky point at Cheltenham, celebrate if we scrape past Exeter. Celebrate anything that may help us arrest the decline, as the reality is we may not have stopped falling yet.

Power post.

Yes it sucks we have to mix with teams like Cheltenham in the league but it is what it is. If we weren't a basket case club because of Dai Yongge we'd still be in the championship.

Getting relegated is never a good thing and to the small number of fans that thought relegation would be a blessing you know why I'm right. It can be a long road back and it will be for us as well. With a lot more pain to come.

The "teams like Cheltenham" idea always grates with me, as if playing Cheltenham in the third tier is a bigger fall than playing Charlton in the same division.

themwasthedays

by themwasthedays » 30 Dec 2023 14:39

I knew we wouldn't lose as I found my old lucky jumper (from Elm Park days)at the back of my wardrobe!!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2023 14:43

tmesis
Royal_jimmy
scumbag
Power post.

Yes it sucks we have to mix with teams like Cheltenham in the league but it is what it is. If we weren't a basket case club because of Dai Yongge we'd still be in the championship.

Getting relegated is never a good thing and to the small number of fans that thought relegation would be a blessing you know why I'm right. It can be a long road back and it will be for us as well. With a lot more pain to come.

The "teams like Cheltenham" idea always grates with me, as if playing Cheltenham in the third tier is a bigger fall than playing Charlton in the same division.

Jimmy is the sort of fan we'd all detest if he supported a different club.

Belittling teams and calling them tinpot left, right and centre like his team has a divine right to be bigger and better. And he supports Reading ffs!!! :lol: :lol:

The irony.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 30 Dec 2023 17:50

Cheltenham away > pretty much all of the championship away days

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Dec 2023 11:03

Snowflake Royal
tmesis
Royal_jimmy

Belittling teams and calling them tinpot left, right and centre like his team has a divine right to be bigger and better. And he supports Reading ffs!!! :lol: :lol:

The irony.

The irony.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 31 Dec 2023 11:22

leon
Snowflake Royal
tmesis The "teams like Cheltenham" idea always grates with me, as if playing Cheltenham in the third tier is a bigger fall than playing Charlton in the same division.

The irony.

The irony.

The irony

(Sorry, I thought this was a new game)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Dec 2023 11:23

Franchise FC
leon
Snowflake Royal Jimmy is the sort of fan we'd all detest if he supported a different club.

The irony.

The irony.

The irony

(Sorry, I thought this was a new game)

It is

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2023 11:45

leon
Snowflake Royal
tmesis The "teams like Cheltenham" idea always grates with me, as if playing Cheltenham in the third tier is a bigger fall than playing Charlton in the same division.

The irony.

The irony.

Waddle back over to AE leon, you obviously have nothing to contribute here.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 31 Dec 2023 12:15

Stick around, Leon. You have plenty to add.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 31 Dec 2023 14:21

Brogue Cheltenham away > pretty much all of the championship away days

I agree. Thought it was a very enjoyable one despite the first half performance. Cheltenham is one of the nicer places as well and not a shithole like places such as Middlesbrough, Swansea, Birmingham, Preston and Huddersfield which are.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 31 Dec 2023 14:47

Royal_jimmy

I agree. Thought it was a very enjoyable one despite the first half performance. Cheltenham is one of the nicer places as well and not a shithole like places such as Middlesbrough, Swansea, Birmingham, Preston and Huddersfield which are.

Indeed I stayed the night and had a mooch around the town on that Saturday. Very nice indeed

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 31 Dec 2023 16:24

Hope they stay up if we survive we I'd be gutted to lose that away day next season

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 31 Dec 2023 16:51

Brogue
Royal_jimmy

Indeed I stayed the night and had a mooch around the town on that Saturday. Very nice indeed

I was tempted to go a few hours early and have a wander round. In the end, getting there at 5.30 and finding a pub for a beer and some food was fine this time round.

There are some nice places about, but when I was an away regular, it never occurred to me to take a bit of time to look round somewhere like Chester, for example, instead of heading straight to the ground.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 Dec 2023 17:07

The away days in League One are generally better than those in the Championship. League Two might not be so good. I loved Cheltenham and the ground, especially being so close to the pitch. I like the modern stadiums (although a bit soulless), but I definitely miss the character and atmosphere that can be generated in the older grounds.

Mopsus

by Mopsus » 31 Dec 2023 20:48

I think of Cathedral cities as normally propping up the lower end of League Two, but for some reason there are a number of them in League One this year: Peterborough, Carlisle, Lincoln, Exeter and, erm, Oxford among them. All worth a look with the possible exception of Peterborough.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Dec 2023 23:44

Royal_jimmy

Wouldn't describe Huddersfield or Swansea as shitholes. They're both pretty decent places if you go there for anything other than football. Actually much the same is true for Birmingham and Preston. I've not spent any time in Middlesbrough other than for football so can't judge.

How do you think people judge Reading if they only see Whitley?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 01 Jan 2024 00:24

From Despair To Where?
Royal_jimmy

Wouldn't describe Huddersfield or Swansea as shitholes. They're both pretty decent places if you go there for anything other than football. Actually much the same is true for Birmingham and Preston. I've not spent any time in Middlesbrough other than for football so can't judge.

How do you think people judge Reading if they only see Whitley?

Agreed have some friends in Swansea the mumbles is great, went to a weddding there. Really nice

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jan 2024 10:28

Ugh, Birmingham is a hole.

235 posts