Back from the Game - Stoke City (H)

234 posts
Who Moved The Goalposts?

Re: Back from the Game - Stoke City (H)

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 21 Aug 2012 14:23

Extended-Phenotype Jesus, talk about over-analysis.

Scrambled clumsy goal – it happens. Otherwise defence were solid, though Stoke are not going to be their biggest test. In attack we weren’t prolific but unlike their attack, Stoke’s defence is as good as any top team and better sides will be more open than they were.

Not much to complain about, and the only thing we have learned is that McCleary warrants a starting place. For a team with several changes and playing it’s first game against top flight oppo, we did a pleasing job.

Now to stuff Chelsea in a game with zero pressure.

I would like to see some shorter, sharper passing in midfield - the stats show that we played 20.4% of all our passes long (last year the Prem average was 12.9%) and that both sides had an overall accuracy of 65% completed successfully. Only 4 matches last year had worse results, all involving Bolton.

Whilst stats can be interpreted to suit an argument (as well know on here!!), this does kinda reinforce my impression of the game.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 21 Aug 2012 14:32

Who Moved The Goalposts?

Scrambled clumsy goal – it happens. Otherwise defence were solid, though Stoke are not going to be their biggest test. In attack we weren’t prolific but unlike their attack, Stoke’s defence is as good as any top team and better sides will be more open than they were.

Not much to complain about, and the only thing we have learned is that McCleary warrants a starting place. For a team with several changes and playing it’s first game against top flight oppo, we did a pleasing job.

Now to stuff Chelsea in a game with zero pressure.

I would like to see some shorter, sharper passing in midfield - the stats show that we played 20.4% of all our passes long (last year the Prem average was 12.9%) and that both sides had an overall accuracy of 65% completed successfully. Only 4 matches last year had worse results, all involving Bolton.

Whilst stats can be interpreted to suit an argument (as well know on here!!), this does kinda reinforce my impression of the game.

Meaningless numbers which overlook that over half of those long balls were hit cross-field in an effort to switch play, of which precisely a third were completed, dead-on average for long ball accuracy in the prem. Also, as Melon pointed out, some fookin anal-bead has decided 30 yards or over is a long ball, and yet 29 is not. What’s the point of basing opinion on something so arbitrary?

Having watched the game, it did not feel like we were hitting excessive long balls and I trust my eyes far more than stupid stats written in children’s fanzine 4-4-2 by some temp who wasn't even there.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 21 Aug 2012 14:39

Extended-Phenotype
Who Moved The Goalposts?

Meaningless numbers which overlook that over half of those long balls were hit cross-field in an effort to switch play, of which precisely a third were completed, dead-on average for long ball accuracy in the prem. Also, as Melon pointed out, some fookin anal-bead has decided 30 yards or over is a long ball, and yet 29 is not. What’s the point of basing opinion on something so arbitrary?

Having watched the game, it did not feel like we were hitting excessive long balls and I trust my eyes far more than stupid stats written in children’s fanzine 4-4-2 by some temp who wasn't even there.

:D Know what you mean about the arbitrary line that someone draws. Can't agree about the passing though - I think the figures have some merit. I felt at times we played the "channel ball" far too often, and with more the savvy, faster and better positioned defences we will be facing every week this season (QPR excepted on Sats performance), it won't work in this division.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 21 Aug 2012 14:45

Possibly, though I do have a sneaking suspicion we may change our tactics from game to game.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 21 Aug 2012 14:58

Extended-Phenotype Possibly, though I do have a sneaking suspicion we may change our tactics from game to game.

I think a 5 man midfield will be a necessity for some of the tougher away games. It could even be Weds night.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 21 Aug 2012 15:03

anal-bead

snigger

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 21 Aug 2012 15:29

Alexander Litvinenko Did we? We know he looks great coming on as sub and running at a tired defence on the hottest Saturday of the year. I very much want to see if he's as effective starting a game.

At last, someone who can see beyond a 20 minute appearance. I seem to remember Thomas Cwyka having a similar impact when he came on for the last 20 mins against Brizzle City, got us a penalty and we won a game we had been drawing. He was an overnight hero then we didn't see him again. That said GMac looked special when he came on but whether he would have the same impact starting, I'm not sure. I would have him on the bench so he can exploit his clearly superior speed coming on in the second half. If we play him from the start and he's marked out of the game, we've got nothing up our sleeve and his confidence could be dented. We need to know he can play at that tempo for a full 90 and I would wait until next Tuesday to do that. I know Posh are not Chelsea but they'll be difficult opponents.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Aug 2012 15:43

It would be interesting to know if McCleary had started and HRK had come on as a sub if he had made a similar impact. HRK has often looked excellent in sub appearances (I am sure I will get shot down by the HRK hates for saying this but it is none the less true). I have concluded that it is just easier for a winger to come on late in a game against a tiring defence - especially on such a hot day.

On the other hand I hope that I am wrong and that McCleary is just a fantastic player. My bet is that if he starts against Chelsea that he will not look half the player he did on Saturday but time will tell – and as I say I really hope I am proved wrong.

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 21 Aug 2012 15:45

M Brook We need to know he can play at that tempo for a full 90 and I would wait until next Tuesday to do that. I know Posh are not Chelsea but they'll be difficult opponents.

Finally, sense. Absolutely agree. "Low" risk opportunity for a full 90 combined with a few more apps off the bench, make a decision coming out of the long break.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 21 Aug 2012 15:50

andrew1957 On the other hand I hope that I am wrong and that McCleary is just a fantastic player. My bet is that if he starts against Chelsea that he will not look half the player he did on Saturday but time will tell – and as I say I really hope I am proved wrong.

To be fair, he'll be up against this country's best full-backs, still a consistently good player despite his age, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect McCleary to no have much joy against Ashley.

On that note, anyone remember the pre-season friendly against Chelsea? I think HRK played on the right of a front 3 (Kebe on the left, can't remember who was main striker) and had a decent game against Ashley Cole.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 21 Aug 2012 16:27

Hal was excellent in that game, but he was playing at a much higher intensity than most the Chelsea team for obvious reasons

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2012 18:32

CayeneMatt
Ian Royal Re-watched their goal several times now and it looks to me like Kightly was Ledge's man, but he drifted off him into the box whilst Ledge was watching the ball out wide and moved towards it, Guthrie in place to spot it and cover by following Kightly, but instead stayed where he was. Neither Ledge or Gorkss could get to Kightly in time.

So for me, that's a combination of poor marking, a poor defensive header (under-pressure) and an absolute howler from the keeper. We better not (and won't) conceed many goals as error stroon as that or we'll be in a lot of trouble.

Not Harte or Pearce's fault :o

Partly Pearce's fault, he made the poor headed clearance. Nothing to do with Harte, the goal came through the middle.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 21 Aug 2012 19:24

MouldyRoyal
andrew1957 On the other hand I hope that I am wrong and that McCleary is just a fantastic player. My bet is that if he starts against Chelsea that he will not look half the player he did on Saturday but time will tell – and as I say I really hope I am proved wrong.

To be fair, he'll be up against this country's best full-backs, still a consistently good player despite his age, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect McCleary to no have much joy against Ashley.

On that note, anyone remember the pre-season friendly against Chelsea? I think HRK played on the right of a front 3 (Kebe on the left, can't remember who was main striker) and had a decent game against Ashley Cole.

Playing against Cole, I think that McCleary's defensive attributes will be under more scrutiny than what we saw against Stoke.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 21 Aug 2012 21:19

Ark Royal
MouldyRoyal

Playing against Cole, I think that McCleary's defensive attributes will be under more scrutiny than what we saw against Stoke.

Which could be interesting/revealing/promising (delete as appropriate after the game) given that he and Gunter is probably the best prtnership we have on the right.

234 posts