BFTG Norwich

276 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Norwich

by Royal Lady » 22 Apr 2013 09:39

sandman I realise it's an alien concept on here but...

You can criticise a manager for making mistakes in a certain game and still be able to see what they're trying to do in the long term.

Exactly - I already countered my criticism of no subs by saying I can see we're passing the ball more and I can see what he is trying to do - but no subs was just :|

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 22 Apr 2013 09:52

The most relevant statistic from yesterday was the fact that we enjoyed 55 per cent of possession, said to be the first game we've done that this season.

OK the possession was largely passing it back and forwards etc but it means the Adkins style is taking hold. If we've got the ball, the other team can't score.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Apr 2013 09:56

Apart from Saturday when they did...twice. :wink:

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 22 Apr 2013 10:06

For my two pennies worth....

1. I hated the decision to sack McDermott. If they were going to do it why not before January or end of the season? Why wait after the transfer window and give the new manager nothing to get his players in with. Personally I would have given him till the end of the season after what he achieved but it's done now so everyone should move on.

2. I back Adkins, if people were saying Adkins out on BBC Berks they need their heads testing, come on he's had 4 games FFS, he is slowly getting the players to play his way, bar 10 mins 2nd half we played well. Norwich were probably the worst team I've seen away from home, can see them in trouble next season if they stay up. Keeping hold of McCarthy, McAnuff, McCleary, ALF & Guthrie is key for next season.

Then again, 5 games into next season everyone will be on his back so this is probably a waste of typing! :D

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 22 Apr 2013 10:39

we are down

adkins brought in early to assess squad, and plan for next year
using these games to assess all of our players ready for sales/purchases in the summer

i understand this probably doesnt make those that rravelled feel batter, but we dealt well with them in the first half, began to impose our selves on the game, but only really lost it in 5 minutes of madness.
thats not that bad tbf

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 22 Apr 2013 10:41

I don't think anybody is really suggesting Adkins OUT.

Esteban

by Esteban » 22 Apr 2013 10:48

Royal Lady

You can criticise a manager for making mistakes in a certain game and still be able to see what they're trying to do in the long term.

Exactly - I already countered my criticism of no subs by saying I can see we're passing the ball more and I can see what he is trying to do - but no subs was just :|

It was from our point of view, but not for Adkins. We can only guess why he made that decision, but I think we all know it wasn't for tactical reasons. It could have been that he got a chance to see how we react to being two goals down, perhaps gave those on the substitutes bench that thought they'd definitely get on a kick up the backside (Le Fondre) and maybe to check out the fitness of the first 11.

I'm not trying to make excuses for him, just trying to work out the reasoning behind his decision.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 22 Apr 2013 10:54

sandman Apart from Saturday when they did...twice. :wink:

You probably noticed that we didn't have the ball on those occasions.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 22 Apr 2013 11:01

I think there are a few crossed wires on here. I don't think anyone is arguing against Adkins. The only thing i would
point out is the selective reasoning based on no empirical evidence. We play well for 20 mins it's down to Adkins, we
go two goals down its down to that 'bald pcunt McD'.

I would prefer to see the style of Adkins but it doesn't guarantee success

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 22 Apr 2013 11:09

creative_username_1 I think there are a few crossed wires on here. I don't think anyone is arguing against Adkins. The only thing i would
point out is the selective reasoning based on no empirical evidence. We play well for 20 mins it's down to Adkins, we
go two goals down its down to that 'bald pcunt McD'.

I would prefer to see the style of Adkins but it doesn't guarantee success

Given, I'm still a fan of Brian (and a fan of Leigertwood) - Adkins shouldn't really be here, etc .... but he is. I can't fault his selections. Survival has never been the point since his appointment - the point is for the (current) manager to explore what the team can do before the summer decisions time.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Apr 2013 13:30

Royal Lady

+2, being a tad narked that Adkins apparently didn't try to win on Saturday (is he still pissed off with Alfie after St Mary's last year?) =/= thinking he's doing everything wrong and should be sacked

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Apr 2013 13:57

LOL @ the Danish fellas sat near me who seemingly had attended an English Premier League game expecting Green Street and ending up with something closer to Terry & June. 26k Norwich fans with their clap-banners and the usual mute away following from Reading.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 22 Apr 2013 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Apr 2013 14:08

Maguire
LoyalRoyalFan We've had months of people slagging McDermott and McAnuff off.

Uncalled for.

Thank you. You truly are a LoyalRoyal

:lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Apr 2013 14:21

Thoughts on the game? Not a lot; defended pathetically, tried to play a bit of football and largely failed at it.

Adkins should be expected to start the season like a house on fire next season given this 8-game pre-season now followed by a second pre-season in July/August.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 22 Apr 2013 14:27

floyd__streete Thoughts on the game? Not a lot; defended pathetically, tried to play a bit of football and largely failed at it.

Adkins should be expected to start the season like a house on fire next season given this 8-game pre-season now followed by a second pre-season in July/August.

Not with the squad as it stands.

It's really shit or bust in the transfer market.

It will be a huge indication on where the club is headed in the next decade.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 22 Apr 2013 14:36

Royal With Cheese
floyd__streete Thoughts on the game? Not a lot; defended pathetically, tried to play a bit of football and largely failed at it.

nah

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 22 Apr 2013 14:45

Then that will be a huge indication on where the club is headed in the next decade.

Esteban

by Esteban » 22 Apr 2013 15:13

Royal With Cheese

Is it really fair to base a clubs' 10 year ambition on the strength of one summer transfer window?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 22 Apr 2013 15:15

Esteban
Royal With Cheese

Is it really fair to base a clubs' 10 year ambition on the strength of one summer transfer window?

After the first change of ownership in 20 odd years I'd say yes.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 Apr 2013 15:18

We were still in with a chance to win that game. I appreciate Adkins sees these games as training for next season, but the fans are still paying full price on tickets and expect our team to battle for survival up until it's impossible.

A throw of the dice is not too much to expect in a game like that, for the players as much as the fans. While Nigel is having fun 'learning' that Blackman and Karacan can extend their contribution of f/ck all to the full 90 minutes, I think I'd have had more fun seeing him change things up, get an extra man up top and go for it.

Surely that would have been worth more than watching McDermott Season Saving Signing Nicky McNofeet count 'left' or 'right' out loud each time he puts a foot down.

276 posts