CONFIMRED - Oliver Norwood

248 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Oliver Norwood

by sandman » 21 Aug 2014 20:43

Maybe he's already gone, he has a habit of going awol.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Aug 2014 21:12

This should be on the team board by now..

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 21 Aug 2014 21:21

[quote="Winston Smith"]He's got one of them squiffy eyes where you end up feeling awkward not knowing which one to look at. Hope it doesnt affect his passing

could explain the creativity - he's actually oxf*rd up, but by a fluke it comes off and looks brilliant

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 21 Aug 2014 21:23

[quote="Nameless"]Not sure it's fair to call Karacan injury prone, he's had two bad injuries as a result of tackles. For me an injury prone player is one who breaks down a lot in training, pulls muscles easily etc, not one who gets attacked by Leeds players on a regular basis...

tbf the second of the bad injuries was where Karacan was doing the fouling; however, whatever the cause, he should be kept away from Leeds games forever

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Aug 2014 21:51

To add some perspective against the opinions of the fellas up north who should stick to their rugby league, here's the Coventry fans' opinion of him:

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/17876-hudds-fan-in-peace

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 21 Aug 2014 22:39

A rich mans sammy clingan eh? Praise indeed.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 Aug 2014 23:35

sandman Not entirely sure why we needed to make a permanent signing in a position where, when everyone does get fit, we are quite well stocked in and have some very talented youngsters coming through. Wouldn't have minded someone in on loan to cover for the injuries in there but surely money could've been invested in players in positions where we need players.

Welcome anyway.

Maybe someone's perma-crocked. I think we need a completely uninformed and speculatory poll as to who it might be.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 22 Aug 2014 00:27

MmmMonsterMunch This should be on the team board by now..

The fact that it isn't has me worried. Do the mods know something we don't?

@sonkimarsson

by @sonkimarsson » 22 Aug 2014 00:52

Can we have this as confirmed before I have to take the Ice Bucket Challenge please?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 22 Aug 2014 03:42

Royal Ginger
sandman Not entirely sure why we needed to make a permanent signing in a position where, when everyone does get fit, we are quite well stocked in and have some very talented youngsters coming through. Wouldn't have minded someone in on loan to cover for the injuries in there but surely money could've been invested in players in positions where we need players.

Welcome anyway.

Maybe someone's perma-crocked. I think we need a completely uninformed and speculatory poll as to who it might be.

Well if that is the case, and if I was to hazard a guess, I would say Williams. To be dealing with the same knee problem he did last season, at this point, would indicate there are serious problem(s) with the knee. I hope that is not the reason for this signing, and all it is about is strengthening our midfield, but the same thought crossed my mind.

But in anticipation of this eventually being moved to the TB...welcome Oliver! 8)

This team right now is crying out for a technically gifted midfielder. If he can keep to the script, and play up to his potential, this could be a huge signing for the club.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 22 Aug 2014 07:36

Welcome!

Blind Bigot

Re: CONFIMRED - Oliver Norwood

by Blind Bigot » 22 Aug 2014 09:25

In my view you've got a very good player in Ollie Norwood! Be patient with him, he's young and still learning but he has all the right qualities to become an excellent player. He needs to work on his consistency because there were times at Huddersfield he 'went missing' during games but he's not the ball winner sort which is what we really need. Give him the ball and he'll provide the ammunition for your front men. He has vision, a terrific passing range and a great shot/free kick on him.

I wish him well, my onlyonly regret is it didn't work out for him with us!

Blind Bigot (HTFC) :lol:

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 22 Aug 2014 09:28

Pepe the Horseman

Welcome anyway.

Maybe your man Guthrie's on his way out.

Fingers crossed.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Aug 2014 09:31

Blind Bigot In my view you've got a very good player in Ollie Norwood! Be patient with him, he's young and still learning but he has all the right qualities to become an excellent player. He needs to work on his consistency because there were times at Huddersfield he 'went missing' during games but he's not the ball winner sort which is what we really need. Give him the ball and he'll provide the ammunition for your front men. He has vision, a terrific passing range and a great shot/free kick on him.

I wish him well, my onlyonly regret is it didn't work out for him with us!

Blind Bigot (HTFC) :lol:

Cheers m8, good luck with the rest of your season. You look like you have a couple of very decent midfielders in Coady and Butterfield anyway.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Aug 2014 09:34

TheBaldOne Norwood and Karacan/ Williams for the starting cms for me, possibly all three in a 4-3-3. Guthrie as back up. Kuhl pushing for a place, think he needs another year in the 21s before becoming a starting member. The reality is as well that Guthrie, Karacan, and Williams are all very injury prone so Kuhl might get more starts than we think.

Yes please to 4-3-3

Royal Biscuits

by Royal Biscuits » 22 Aug 2014 09:56

Watching Aaron Kuhl on Tuesday did confirm to me my surprise that we are signing another central midfielder but as another poster said it may mean Guthrie's, Karacan's, and/or Williams' injuries are worse than feared. I also believe that Guthrie is in the last year of his contract and given his likely large wages it may mean he does not have much future at the club.

I asked my mate who's a Huddersfield fan about Norwood and he was surprised we were after him. He thought he could see him being really good in a couple of years but was far too inconsistent and lightweight at the minute so was happy to sell at the price that was rumoured!

Another mate who's a Coventry fan thinks he's quality so it sounds like we're signing a talented player who needs to start realising his potential. Unfortunately we already have quite a few players who already fall into that category.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 22 Aug 2014 10:10

We can't rely on Kuhl to play all season (or even most of the season) and it's also rash to judge him on a 45 minute appearance when Reading are pouring forward chasing a game.

More midfield options means more protection of Kuhl and more careful transition into the first team, which is good for all concerned.

Royal Biscuits

by Royal Biscuits » 22 Aug 2014 10:25

Maguire We can't rely on Kuhl to play all season (or even most of the season) and it's also rash to judge him on a 45 minute appearance when Reading are pouring forward chasing a game.

More midfield options means more protection of Kuhl and more careful transition into the first team, which is good for all concerned.

Very true. Over the course of the season I can see him moving ahead of Akpan to become our fifth choice central midfielder. Maybe he might go out on loan once Guthrie and Karacan return. It would surely be more beneficial for us to have him playing regularly rather than being a reserve.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Aug 2014 10:55

Guthrie has flattered to deceive really and with him being in the last year of his contract, I think this signing is partly planning for life without him.

Classic Reading signing really, relatively young but with decent experience, bags of potential and maybe something to prove. At £750,000, a very good signing IMO

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Aug 2014 11:08

Thought he was on a four year contract?

248 posts