MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a)

233 posts
Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a)

by Loafer » 27 Feb 2022 11:03

Kitsondinho T. Ince was trying way too hard to have an amazing game! The Blackpool fans were on him from the first minute, which seemed to fire him up…but in the wrong way. More than once he tried to run through 2/3 of their defenders, rather than play the simple ball. He also tried several shots that were blocked easily because of how close the Blackpool players were to him. Their fans really got to him…agree he needed to be taken off.

I've never rated him

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Feb 2022 11:30

CountryRoyal
SCIAG
CountryRoyal
The header, tame shot straight at Southwood in the box and the lad unmarked at the edge of the box who skied it.

Infogol’s xG model has it at 1.29-1.23 at full time. Suggests the quality of the chances was very even.

In fairness it’s really difficult to determine the quality of our chances in the first half from the away end.

Yeah definitely, you get one look, from a long distance, with emotions running high.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Feb 2022 22:52

Just watched the highlights, I still stand by that Blackpool we’re deserved winners, but huge bit of fortune with their last 2 goals. 3rd megged tmac and 4th bounced inches under a jumping Yids. 9/10 those will both be blocked tbh but that being said, our defending is tragic. These things happen when you let the opposition get into dangerous areas.

Won’t add too much to the Hein v Southwood debate, I’ve already shared my views on it prior to this match, but watching the game my first thought at the time was the goal doesn’t get scored if we have Hein. Watching the highlights I think Southwood should do better for the first as well, needs to just come for the ball, if he takes out the man so be it. As it is, stays on his line too long and then when he decides to come out it’s too late. Common theme with him is indecision, several goals (and near goals) are him getting caught in no mans land.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Feb 2022 09:12

Yeah he was far too indecisive for the first goal and the 2nd goal he wasn't strong enough either really. I know they keep saying there was a foul in there somewhere but they are scoring a goal from 2/3 yards out from a corner in the middle of the goal nearly, it's criminal defending.

I'm happy enough to write this one off really, players out of position etc but the defending at times was inexcusable, Hopefully a good week on the training field and potentially bringing a couple of players back into the fold and we are in a better situation.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Feb 2022 10:22

other than Baba, there might not been any significant absences through injury by Millwall. obvs Laurent a doubt. No real excuses from this point onwards. Would hope Dann will add a lot to our ability to defend set pieces - if you have him, Joao, Laurent, McIntyre and Morro/Holmes - that really should be plenty good enough

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Feb 2022 16:08

YorkshireRoyal99 I know they keep saying there was a foul in there somewhere but they are scoring a goal from 2/3 yards out from a corner in the middle of the goal nearly, it's criminal defending.

He was basically in the goal by the time Madine headed it, and by the time the ball reached Southwood he was well behind the line. No idea what he was doing tbh.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Feb 2022 16:43

CountryRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99 I know they keep saying there was a foul in there somewhere but they are scoring a goal from 2/3 yards out from a corner in the middle of the goal nearly, it's criminal defending.

He was basically in the goal by the time Madine headed it, and by the time the ball reached Southwood he was well behind the line. No idea what he was doing tbh.

Did see it mentioned that he slipped, which was true, but again he was behind the line considerably anyway, he was in no position to either effect the play or save the ball, as you've rightfully said, no mans land. Similar to his first goal, he didn't come and get it but also didn't stand tall to close the angle either, he just effectively did nothing and was caught in no mans land again. Especially the first goal, it was hardly fired through at pace, it was a looping second ball into the box.

I do want Southwood to exceed coming through our academy and genuinely think he could do, he could maybe use a seasons loan spell at an Oxford, Wycombe, Swindon etc in League One before coming back in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Feb 2022 16:48

CountryRoyal

He stumbled from trying to recover from having tried to move near post.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 01 Mar 2022 10:31

YorkshireRoyal99
CountryRoyal

Did see it mentioned that he slipped, which was true, but again he was behind the line considerably anyway, he was in no position to either effect the play or save the ball, as you've rightfully said, no mans land. Similar to his first goal, he didn't come and get it but also didn't stand tall to close the angle either, he just effectively did nothing and was caught in no mans land again. Especially the first goal, it was hardly fired through at pace, it was a looping second ball into the box.

I do want Southwood to exceed coming through our academy and genuinely think he could do, he could maybe use a seasons loan spell at an Oxford, Wycombe, Swindon etc in League One before coming back in.

If you take a glance at League One you will see that Oxford and Wycombe are in the promotion hunt so there is a good chance one of them will be in the division above Reading next season. And Swindon are in the promotion hunt from L2, so a good chance they will be in the same division as Reading next season.

Not sure any of these teams will want a keeper who has fundamental flaws to his game.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Mar 2022 12:32

Greatwesternline
YorkshireRoyal99
CountryRoyal

If you take a glance at League One you will see that Oxford and Wycombe are in the promotion hunt so there is a good chance one of them will be in the division above Reading next season. And Swindon are in the promotion hunt from L2, so a good chance they will be in the same division as Reading next season.

Not sure any of these teams will want a keeper who has fundamental flaws to his game.

I was hypothetically speaking that all of those clubs would be in L1 next season and we would be in the Championship, it was merely an example.

He's a good enough goalkeeper for League One, without doubt. He's made his errors at this level, but the standard of playing is better as well. Having a season to build confidence, preferably towards the top of L1, would benefit him I think.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 01 Mar 2022 12:38

YorkshireRoyal99
Greatwesternline
YorkshireRoyal99

I was hypothetically speaking that all of those clubs would be in L1 next season and we would be in the Championship, it was merely an example.

He's a good enough goalkeeper for League One, without doubt. He's made his errors at this level, but the standard of playing is better as well. Having a season to build confidence, preferably towards the top of L1, would benefit him I think.

Not sure he's good enough for League one. Lot of crosses in league one, its more direct. Being good with your feet matters less. I dont think Southwood is good enough for a relegation threatened championship team. If i was a fan in league one i'd not be welcoming him with open arms. in the same way we are not welcoming Hein.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Mar 2022 12:43

Greatwesternline
YorkshireRoyal99
Greatwesternline

Not sure he's good enough for League one. Lot of crosses in league one, its more direct. Being good with your feet matters less. I dont think Southwood is good enough for a relegation threatened championship team. If i was a fan in league one i'd not be welcoming him with open arms. in the same way we are not welcoming Hein.

The quality aspect is the difference though. Plenty more crosses in League One, yes, but with far less quality. True, I wouldn't say it's a coup signing in League One, but he has scored one of the highest ratings in our division this season due to his shot stopping ability, he'd be more than capable in League One. He could probably use a full seasons experience a division below and then work his way back into our team.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 01 Mar 2022 13:02

Southwood is 23/24 , he’s not going to get any bigger . Don’t go thinking that he would get an easier life in L1 , he won’t . He will struggle in professional football , they don’t give you an easy time .

233 posts