How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Dec 2012 19:50

Woodcote's post above is the classic example of players getting better when they don't play.
Everybody seemed to be clamouring for Pearce to return-now he is out again.
The same happened with Cummings who was back to his "rabbit in the headlights" self on Monday after posters were desperate for him to replace Gunter.

The point is that they are all much of a muchness and Woodcote goes on about "luck" as if with a fair amount of more luck we might be mid-table.
Doesn't he understand that other teams go on about bad luck-it's an irrelevance and an unknown factor and really it is just clutching at straws.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Dec 2012 20:08

Hoop Blah hat single win against Everton should really have seen us about 4-0 down at half time

Didn't have you down as one of the rewriting history brigade.

Why "should" we have been 4-0 down against Everton?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 19 Dec 2012 20:43

Maguire
Hoop Blah hat single win against Everton should really have seen us about 4-0 down at half time

Because they missed clear-cut chances, gifted by our ever clueless defending. They should also have had a penalty for Morrison handball.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 19 Dec 2012 20:49

floyd__streete
Maguire

Because they missed clear-cut chances, gifted by our ever clueless defending. They should also have had a penalty for Morrison handball.

i'll help you out bruv

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Dec 2012 20:51

floyd__streete
Maguire

Seem to remember Le Fondre missing an open goal in the first half too :|

Amazingly players do miss chances and if you just award them a goal for all the ones they miss whilst simultaneously not doing the same for us then yeah, of course they "should" have been winning by loads :roll:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Dec 2012 20:54

Maguire

I think they should've had two penalties and taken more of the decent chances they created in a half where we looked as bad as at any other point this season. One poster on here even said that the 'first half was men against boys - the sort of performance that makes you think we're doomed (guess who said that?).

They obviously didn't take those chances or got those decisions so perhaps could would've been a better choice of word than should but to think that it's re-writing history is bollocks I'm afraid.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Dec 2012 21:12

Naismith dived - it was right in front of me and a poster on here, guess which one, was so enraged he leapt to his feet to scream at the culprit.

Nobody's suggesting we played well in that half but to say we "should have been 4-0 down" is, to coin a phrase, bollocks i'm afraid.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Dec 2012 21:24

A fair reflection of that first half of football would've seen them 3 or 4 goals ahead, IMO.

I'm pretty anal at times but for me that's enough for me to interchange could/should/might've been on a football forum when discussing the potential scores of a game where they obviously didn't make their superiority count as much as they COULD'VE done.

Point is that it was men against boys and so holding that win up as an example of 4-4-2 earning us a win and so is worth sticking with after 1 win all season is totally flawed.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Dec 2012 22:31

Hoop Blah A fair reflection of that first half of football would've seen them 3 or 4 goals ahead, IMO

Well i'm glad it's been downgraded to three but football just does not work like that. Arsenal deserved to be three ahead, not Everton.

Anyway, I don't disagree with the point about 4-4-2 or whatever so let's knock this tedium on the head, accepting the fact that i started it.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Dec 2012 10:16

:D

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Dec 2012 10:28

I think points should be awarded to the teams who missed the best chances in a game, that's really what football is all about. With bonus points for those who hit the woodwork. Bust especially to the team that misses the first gilt edged chance in a game. (Kebe against Arsenal.)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Dec 2012 10:38

Over time results follow performances RR. If you create enough chances and prevent them at the other end you'll ultimately end up winning the games you deserve.

Make as many flippant comment about it as you like but that's pretty much what happens in the long term and that's what we're seeing happen now. Our performances aren't good enough and we're paying the price.

Nobody, in their right mind, who was at that Everton game thought we were in the game at half time and we could easily have been dead and burried. Play like that most weeks and, as we've seen since, we'll conceed too many goals to pick up points.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Dec 2012 10:39

coulda woulda shoulda

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 20 Dec 2012 10:57

Hoop Blah Over time results follow performances RR. If you create enough chances and prevent them at the other end you'll ultimately end up winning the games you deserve.

Make as many flippant comment about it as you like but that's pretty much what happens in the long term and that's what we're seeing happen now. Our performances aren't good enough and we're paying the price.

Nobody, in their right mind, who was at that Everton game thought we were in the game at half time and we could easily have been dead and burried. Play like that most weeks and, as we've seen since, we'll conceed too many goals to pick up points.

Are you assuming this or can you back this up with research

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Dec 2012 11:05

Hoop Blah Over time results follow performances RR. If you create enough chances and prevent them at the other end you'll ultimately end up winning the games you deserve.

You need to lighten up.

What's your favourite TV sitcom of all time?

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 20 Dec 2012 11:27

Royal Rother

You need to lighten up.

What's your favourite TV sitcom of all time?

Only Fools and Royals.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Dec 2012 11:39

Victor Meldrew Woodcote's post above is the classic example of players getting better when they don't play.

Utter nonsense.

We agree about Pearce (and McDermott swapped him for Gorkss against Arsenal) but all of McCarthy, Morrison, Karacan and Kebe are now starters when fit and, as such, their absence significantly weakens our starting 11 which (surprise, surprise!!! :| ) has been reflected in our worst form of the season so far.

There's more evidence here of McDermott's detractors using this misfortune to trash his reputation.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 20 Dec 2012 11:42

Woodcote Royal talking a fair amount of sense here.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Dec 2012 11:44

But only one of of them played in our only win WR? Only Kebe is a certain starter when fit as the manager has selected others over all those players so how can their absence be deemed to significantly weaken the team.

Remember that Morrision only came into the side as our form deteriated and played in 4 of the 6 consecutive defeats.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Dec 2012 11:46

southbank1871 Woodcote Royal talking a fair amount of sense here.

It's hard for McDermott with players being injure yes, but none of those players (apart from Kebe I suppose) are players he's seen as worthy of automatic selection so they're hardly the automatic starters that WR makes them out to be. If they were that much better than their competition why wasn't McDermott selecting them in the first place?

3209 posts