CONFIRMED - Michael Hector to Chelsea

323 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: CONFIRMED - Michael Hector to Chelsea

by Franchise FC » 02 Sep 2015 13:24

Hoop Blah Not really bothered by the debate, just thought it was a bit of an over reaction by H&P to bring up Sidwell etc as if they were proof that there aren't a number of players who've left us and then generally failed.

Some of them are just natural career paths of course, but some are just bad career moves, a bit like Hectors could be.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr I personally think that this is a great move for everybody. We give him games whilst Chelsea decide what to do with him; we get an extra CB for a year - and he has a season to impress his new bosses. If of course, we play him. And lets face it 4 mill is there or thereabouts

Hoop Blah Without really thinking about it, here are a few that left us 'for better things' that didn't really work out that way for various reasons

Ashdown - He wasnt even first team for us. His move was definitely an improvement for him He left us at a time when he probably would've progressed to become our number 1, spent years on the bench or in the stands for Pompey before dropping down through the leagues
Shorey -Granted
Lita - A succession of sideways moves. No blockbusters. He was a bit of a special case, but he certainly thought he was going on to bigger things than us but never really had success to match, and despite moves to 'bigger' clubs he kept getting bombed out on loan
Kitson - Pretty much fits your description
Doyle - Wolves killed him. He was probably their best player (Mick loved him) but they didnt play him as a goalscorer Harsh perhaps as he did have success in the Premier League at first
Seol -Hang on, we got him from the premiership. He left because we apparently sang songs about him eating dogs. He still left us for a Premier League side but never quite made it (less than 20 games in 2 seasons) and got sent back to the the Saudi and Korean leagues.
Bikey - ??? What was this big move again He left us, in the Championship, to sign for Premier League Burnley. Guess you could argue he did ok there (including another relegation) but he was soon back in the Championship and is now a free agent after stints at Charlton and some side in Greece. Did he succeed elsewhere or end up back in the Championship?
Mills - We sold him to a team in the same league because we hated him We still left for a team he thought was bigger, better and more likely to go up than us, for the money ultimately, and where did he end up? Below us as we went on to win the league!
Sonko - He got dropped by Stoke because he kept treading on the ball, but he didnt go there to sit on the bench. They played him. So he was largely on the bench before returning to the Championship and below then?
Little - LOL. What on Earth are you talking about here - he moved strictly for the contract. He was spent. We wanted him to stay, he went elsewhere, admittedly for one last crack at the Premier League before his legs totally gave up, and then he ended up worse off.
Federici (so far but early days of course) - LOL. Christ on a bike. errrm, he's left us to go and sit on the bench at another club. We'll have to wait and see how that works out for him but my money is on him being back in the Championship or still on a bench in two years time.
McCarthy (initially) - Still early days
Halford - We sold him for 'undisclosed reasons'. He's actually had a pretty decent career, given that So we sold him to a Premier League side, where he bombed, and then ended up in the Championship after failing there?
Hunt - Which one? Shunt was played frequently in the Prem. Nhunt was an end of contract special. Stephen, and to be fair he did get a couple of Premier League moves before naturally dropping back down to his level in the Championship. It's probably harsh to have him on the list
Marriappa (not down the leagues,yet) - So whats your point? He's hardly played for Palace, but yeah, not dropped down back to his level yet, presumably because he's too expensive to attract a Championship club to take him not because he's been a success after jumping ship after a season with us
Kebe - Granted.

I don't think any of them have left Reading and enjoyed any real success or progression have they?

But the inference in 'they left us' is that they chose to do so when we wanted them to stay.
Of that list :
Ashdown wasn't even getting game time
McCarthy had somehow become second choice behind Federici (by the way I would say AMc has definitely progressed)
Halford we couldn't get him out the door fast enough after discovering the 'personal' issues
Little was all but completely finished when he left - as shown by his fruitless return

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 02 Sep 2015 13:27

Hoop Blah Without really thinking about it, here are a few that left us 'for better things' that didn't really work out that way for various reasons

Ashdown
Shorey
Lita
Kitson
Doyle
Seol
Bikey
Mills
Sonko
Little
Federici (so far but early days of course)
McCarthy (initially)
Halford
Hunt
Marriappa (not down the leagues,yet)
Kebe

I don't think any of them have left Reading and enjoyed any real success or progression have they?

add Morrison and Le Fondre.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Sep 2015 13:30

I think the point is that very few players have left us for big money and then achieved a lot for their new clubs.

I mean, Stephen Hunt is being talked about as a success story. He has been relegated from the PL three times.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Sep 2015 13:46

Franchise FC But the inference in 'they left us' is that they chose to do so when we wanted them to stay.
Of that list :
McCarthy had somehow become second choice behind Federici (by the way I would say AMc has definitely progressed)
Halford we couldn't get him out the door fast enough after discovering the 'personal' issues
Little was all but completely finished when he left - as shown by his fruitless return

Ashdown wasn't getting games? That's not how I remember it and having just checked he actually played the last 10 games of the 03-4 season with Hahnemann returning from injury and having to make do with being on the bench for the last few games.

As I recall it there was a lot of debate as to who would be first choice keeper the following season. That debate ended when Ashdown didn't sign a new contract and instead went to Pompey as Shaka's understudy.

As for McCarthy, the only reason he started the season on the bench was because the club knew he was leaving and so Federici started the season as number 1.

SCIAG I think the point is that very few players have left us for big money and then achieved a lot for their new clubs.

I mean, Stephen Hunt is being talked about as a success story. He has been relegated from the PL three times.

This ^

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 02 Sep 2015 13:53

Hoop Blah
Franchise FC But the inference in 'they left us' is that they chose to do so when we wanted them to stay.
Of that list :

Ashdown wasn't getting games? That's not how I remember it and having just checked he actually played the last 10 games of the 03-4 season with Hahnemann returning from injury and having to make do with being on the bench for the last few games.

As I recall it there was a lot of debate as to who would be first choice keeper the following season. That debate ended when Ashdown didn't sign a new contract and instead went to Pompey as Shaka's understudy.

As for McCarthy, the only reason he started the season on the bench was because the club knew he was leaving and so Federici started the season as number 1.

SCIAG I think the point is that very few players have left us for big money and then achieved a lot for their new clubs.

This ^

question, has any ex Reading player finished 8th or above in the premier league since leaving us? Gylfi with Swansea last season?

GreaterTorontoRoyal

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 02 Sep 2015 14:00

WoodleyRoyal
Hoop Blah
Of that list :

This ^

question, has any ex Reading player finished 8th or above in the premier league since leaving us? Gylfi with Swansea last season?

Sidwell finished second with Chelsea in the Prem if that counts

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 02 Sep 2015 15:09

floyd__streete From a selfish point of view, good news for the club itself as a move to CPFC would presumably not have included the loan back clause.

Bad news for the player himself in that he'll be consigned to Chelsea's 'buy and rent out' policy for the next few seasons. At least he'll be set for life I guess, that is the main thing, right :?: Chelsea's policy of hoovering up as much young talent as possible if only to prevent their rivals from getting their hands on such players is as reprehensible as you would expect from that repulsive club.

And if Reading were remotely a big club they would do the same.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Sep 2015 15:17

WoodleyRoyal

Sidwell at Chelsea has been mentioned. He and Shorey finished 7th at Villa. Bertrand at Chelsea. Bertrand and Long at Southampton. So yeah there's been a few.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 02 Sep 2015 15:30

Shaka Hislop

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Sep 2015 15:40

maffff

Ashdown
Shorey
Lita
Kitson
Doyle
Seol
Bikey
Mills
Sonko
Little
Federici (so far but early days of course)
McCarthy (initially)
Halford
Hunt
Marriappa (not down the leagues,yet)
Kebe

add Morrison and Le Fondre.

Once again - they didn't 'choose to leave us' - they were pretty much told to go to enable the club to pay HMRC

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Sep 2015 16:06

No Fixed Abode
floyd__streete From a selfish point of view, good news for the club itself as a move to CPFC would presumably not have included the loan back clause.

Bad news for the player himself in that he'll be consigned to Chelsea's 'buy and rent out' policy for the next few seasons. At least he'll be set for life I guess, that is the main thing, right :?: Chelsea's policy of hoovering up as much young talent as possible if only to prevent their rivals from getting their hands on such players is as reprehensible as you would expect from that repulsive club.

But none of the big clubs in the PL do this to the extent that Chelsea do

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 02 Sep 2015 16:10

that's 'cos Chelsea are bigger.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 02 Sep 2015 16:48

Silver Fox
No Fixed Abode

But none of the big clubs in the PL do this to the extent that Chelsea do

But why does Floyd think it makes Chelsea repulsive? Repulsive is robbing your own fans for tickets, killing football fans, wearing t-shirts in support of a player who openly admitted he called a former Manchester United player a racist term...

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Sep 2015 16:53

LOLz, easiest Kesbingo line ever

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 02 Sep 2015 16:56

And Chelsea aren't breaking any rules. Don't h8 the player, h8 the game.....

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 02 Sep 2015 17:06

Seems a good place to put this tenuously linked Hector article...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/101653-20150902101653

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 03 Sep 2015 07:54

LUX that's 'cos Chelsea are bigger.

Yes, but bigger what?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Michael Hector to Palace

by sandman » 30 Sep 2015 21:01

Platypuss McCarthy - starting for the Palace first XI
Federici - on the bench for Bournemouth

Both decent keepers, but facts >>> opinions.

:?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Michael Hector to Palace

by PistolPete » 30 Sep 2015 22:59

sandman
Platypuss McCarthy - starting for the Palace first XI
Federici - on the bench for Bournemouth

Both decent keepers, but facts >>> opinions.

:?

Haha, and the most stupid thing about this is that the 'fact' was based on somebodies opinion. It's possible that fairly soon McCarthy will be third choice behind Speroni and Hennessy.

Facts. :lol:

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Nov 2015 15:46

323 posts