Official RFC Clownovic Day. The protest thread

338 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Official RFC Clownovic Day. The protest thread

by NathStPaul » 12 Feb 2022 22:03

CountryRoyal
NathStPaul
Millsy Excellent reporting from Benjy on the Chronicle website for anyone who wants to see what went down.

He let himself down a bit this evening. Blocked a former player for daring to question his reporting of the pitch invasion. Subsequently apologised.

Who was it?

Guy called Jordan. Got a lot of history with the club, has a right to say whatever he likes.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Feb 2022 22:05

Possibly. But a lot of people are jumping down his throat over one word, which he's probably right about too

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Feb 2022 22:09

NathStPaul
Millsy Excellent reporting from Benjy on the Chronicle website for anyone who wants to see what went down.

He let himself down a bit this evening. Blocked a former player for daring to question his reporting of the pitch invasion. Subsequently apologised.

Agreed. Players were not chased off the pitch at all. Silly reporting.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Feb 2022 22:15

Zip
NathStPaul

Agreed. Players were not chased off the pitch at all. Silly reporting.

From what I saw the few who went on were fairly respectful of all the players, opposition ones included. That's pretty much why I support it, their only intention was to be noticed by the owner and listened to by the manager. It wasn't sinister or violent, at least from the footage I've seen.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Feb 2022 22:23

I remember one protest in the 80's, I think it was after a game against Bristol City, there was about 2000 fans demonstrating outside the club entrance for about 40 minutes. I think it dispersed after a delegation of supporters (the Taking The Biscuit guys IIRC) were allowed in to talk to Smee and Branfoot.

Remember the Port Vale one quite well

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 12 Feb 2022 22:27

From Despair To Where? I remember one protest in the 80's, I think it was after a game against Bristol City, there was about 2000 fans demonstrating outside the club entrance for about 40 minutes. I think it dispersed after a delegation of supporters were allowed in to talk to Smee and Branfoot.

Notts County, 1-3 defeat.

It wasn't really a delegation. Someone from the club came out and just grabbed a few people who were nearest. Far fewer than 2000 made it round to the entrance. 200 would be more like it, if that.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 12 Feb 2022 22:27

NathStPaul
Zip Players were not chased off the pitch at all. Silly reporting.

From what I saw the few who went on were fairly respectful of all the players, opposition ones included.......It wasn't sinister or violent, at least from the footage I've seen.

... no judgement one way or t'other .... but from my vantage point at the very back of the ED, something definitely went on with Yids who looked as if he had to be pulled away from the melee by a couple of stewards, who then followed him round on his walk past the N.Stand.

Couple of other players did disappear pretty sharpish off the field - resonated a bit later on BBC Baaarks : where Mick Gooding related similar 'protest' type invasions he'd been caught up in.
(Did point out one was when he was at Chesterfield)

PS aplos if I've inadvertently had a 'Quote Fail' above ..... perils of using a clapped out iPad :?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Feb 2022 22:33

tmesis
From Despair To Where? I remember one protest in the 80's, I think it was after a game against Bristol City, there was about 2000 fans demonstrating outside the club entrance for about 40 minutes. I think it dispersed after a delegation of supporters were allowed in to talk to Smee and Branfoot.

Notts County, 1-3 defeat.

It wasn't really a delegation. Someone from the club came out and just grabbed a few people who were nearest. Far fewer than 2000 made it round to the entrance. 200 would be more like it, if that.

Seemed more than that. I was stuck on the corner of Norfolk Rd and Wantage Rd when a fcuking huge police horse stood on my foot and it was pretty densely packed.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Feb 2022 22:43

My memory is hazy as I wasn't even 10 years old, but weren't there pitch invasions against Terry Bullivant?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Feb 2022 22:46

genome My memory is hazy as I wasn't even 10 years old, but weren't there pitch invasions against Terry Bullivant?

Yep. Elm Park after a really awful defeat to Port Vale.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Feb 2022 22:52

That Port Vale defeat was awful. Didn’t really agree with the protest at the time. And seeing as it gave us Burns, I'm not that keen in retrospect either.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Feb 2022 22:59

Just had a look. That pitch invasion was after 7 defeats out of 8 (1 win), which started after only 2 losses in 12. Situation now is worse form-wise. We'd go on to lose 16 of the last 18 games of the season though :lol:

We are on 14 losses out of 19 already.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 12 Feb 2022 23:27

Snowflake Royal That Port Vale defeat was awful. Didn’t really agree with the protest at the time. And seeing as it gave us Burns, I'm not that keen in retrospect either.

Remember being there, was 10 at the time. If memory serves me correctly, it was done after the players were off the pitch. A guy ran into the centre circle & sat down and it was all directed at the board.

I’m not a fan of confronting players. I think half the problem with the current set is the set up & coaching. I can imagine there’s some motivation issues with players out of contract, but we have players capable of winning games.

However, at least feelings are being shown and hopefully it will become more coordinated between the fanbase as the protests continue, which they simply have to.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Feb 2022 23:30

genome Just had a look. That pitch invasion was after 7 defeats out of 8 (1 win), which started after only 2 losses in 12. Situation now is worse form-wise. We'd go on to lose 16 of the last 18 games of the season though :lol:

We are on 14 losses out of 19 already.

That's 3 managers in Spurs book......and 5 in Watford's. :D :D

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Feb 2022 00:19

Snowflake Royal That Port Vale defeat was awful. Didn’t really agree with the protest at the time. And seeing as it gave us Burns, I'm not that keen in retrospect either.

At least Burns was a name manager with a half decent pedigree, he got Kolmarnock back into the SPL with back to back promotions.

More pissed off that we turned down Bernd Schuster for Bullivant. Fair enough he had no coaching experience having just retired as a player but in the following 10 years he achieved Elche's 2 highest ever finishing positions, got Getafe into Europe and won the Spanish League and Cup double double with Real Madrid.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 13 Feb 2022 00:25

NathStPaul
CountryRoyal
NathStPaul He let himself down a bit this evening. Blocked a former player for daring to question his reporting of the pitch invasion. Subsequently apologised.

Who was it?

Guy called Jordan. Got a lot of history with the club, has a right to say whatever he likes.

Jordan is a desperate attention seeker. He was once a youth player. He was a nobody, but he's friends with Ady and he reminds everyone about it every opportunity he gets.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Feb 2022 01:43

My friends and I used to be on the Elm Park pitch for one reason or another all the time in the early 90s.

This is the shittest team I can recall mind you.

Not because they aren’t good far from it.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 13 Feb 2022 07:40

One of my main recollections was when quite a few of us went on the pitch at Elm Park having been trounced by Palarse, 6-0/6-1, something like that. Johnny Mad took the mike and promised us the world. And to be fair, compared to what we've got now, the bloke did alright :wink:

Branfoot Out

by Branfoot Out » 13 Feb 2022 08:09

The Cap One of my main recollections was when quite a few of us went on the pitch at Elm Park having been trounced by Palarse, 6-0/6-1, something like that. Johnny Mad took the mike and promised us the world. And to be fair, compared to what we've got now, the bloke did alright :wink:

6-1 loss home to Palace - Sep 1996. Big pitch invasion to get Quinn and Gooding out. Uri Geller came out in the main stand to try and calm everyone down!

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 13 Feb 2022 08:38

NathStPaul

Former player :lol: The bloke went to a soccer school once and lauds it over everyone

338 posts