Back From The Game - Nottm Forest

313 posts
79Royal

Re: Back From The Game - Nottm Forest

by 79Royal » 11 Aug 2009 14:53

Tried to find the average number of passes per game last season, but failed miserably! In any case I'd put my mortgage on last season's pass per game average being well below 483 - not that it makes much difference.

As Bob Paisley once said (via Alan Hasen), it's not about the long pass, or the short pass, it's about the right pass - or words to that effect. I'd like to think that's what BR means when he says that we will get better with the ball. That our decision making will improve and that will lead to better chances.

Still think we need a better striker than we have right now to finish them though. As good as I think Church is...

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 11 Aug 2009 15:28

350 or so rings a bell on the passes front.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 11 Aug 2009 15:37

79Royal Tried to find the average number of passes per game last season, but failed miserably! In any case I'd put my mortgage on last season's pass per game average being well below 483 - not that it makes much difference.

As Bob Paisley once said (via Alan Hasen), it's not about the long pass, or the short pass, it's about the right pass - or words to that effect. I'd like to think that's what BR means when he says that we will get better with the ball. That our decision making will improve and that will lead to better chances.

Still think we need a better striker than we have right now to finish them though. As good as I think Church is...

I think he means both that and our movement off the ball. A Give-and-Go passing approach to the game. Quick 1-2's, interchangable runs, etc.
All of this would be massively improved if Matejovsky played regularly.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Aug 2009 16:20

SteveRoyal All of this would be massively improved if Matejovsky played regularly.

...and he stopped giving the ball away so cheaply!

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 11 Aug 2009 16:29

Hoop Blah
SteveRoyal All of this would be massively improved if Matejovsky played regularly.

... which is better than not scoring any goals because everyone else was too scared to play a forward ball.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Aug 2009 16:34

SteveRoyal
Hoop Blah

... which is better than not scoring any goals because everyone else was too scared to play a forward ball.

How?

joe999

by joe999 » 11 Aug 2009 16:45

SteveRoyal
Hoop Blah

^this.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Aug 2009 16:51

The Matejovsky of last season wasn't giving the ball away cheaply by attempting this awe inspiring, ultra creative forward passes you seem to be expecting from him. I can forgive him that if he's trying to be creative.

The cheap surrender of possession I'm refering to is his worring ability to cock up the simple passes and touches that should be finding their target 99% of the time for a player with less ability than him. It was almost as if he was just being complacent or lazy with them. We won't be able to play the possession football that Rodgers is trying to introduce if we just gift the ball back to the opposition like he did far too often when he played last season.

I still think he's likely to be the key creative force in the side this year, but he has to cut that aspect out if he's going to fulfil his potential.

joe999

by joe999 » 11 Aug 2009 16:55

true, but the only game I REALLY remember him being that bad in was Southampton away, when he was only just back from inury to be fair, he had a few stuning games after that and IMO was our best player between January and the end of the season

Played a few stunning balls game in, game out. Take the one down at plymouth on an awful pitch, managed to play Kebe into 10 yards of space with ease and got us the equaliser.

Just the way Im seeing it, but by the time we managed to get the link up play sorted between the defense and midfield on Saturday (sort of Mid-second half), we really needed someone to push forward to Long when he came on, I think Marek would be a good option

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Aug 2009 17:03

It seemed to me that most of his excellent through balls went to Kebe who was completely incapable of doing anything with them unfortunately.

joe999

by joe999 » 11 Aug 2009 17:05

Royal Rother It seemed to me that most of his excellent through balls went to Kebe who was completely incapable of doing anything with them unfortunately.

Agreed, give him time though, he has the potential to be brilliant.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 11 Aug 2009 17:35

Hoop Blah The Matejovsky of last season wasn't giving the ball away cheaply by attempting this awe inspiring, ultra creative forward passes you seem to be expecting from him. I can forgive him that if he's trying to be creative.

The cheap surrender of possession I'm refering to is his worring ability to cock up the simple passes and touches that should be finding their target 99% of the time for a player with less ability than him. It was almost as if he was just being complacent or lazy with them. We won't be able to play the possession football that Rodgers is trying to introduce if we just gift the ball back to the opposition like he did far too often when he played last season.

I still think he's likely to be the key creative force in the side this year, but he has to cut that aspect out if he's going to fulfil his potential.

Much as everyone is w*nking over the passing on saturday, a hell of a lot of simple passes went to the opposition (which on another day may have buried us).

In fact someone around me remarked how badly Marek would have been got at had he made the same passes last season.

This new team/style needs Marek

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Aug 2009 17:43

I think people are willing to forgive some wayward passes given the age of most of the players and the newness of the system. Davies was a culprit. Pearce dropped at least one clanger. Rosenior got stuck for it. I think Bertrand had the odd one a did others.

What people find difficult to forgive, is a player who is supposedly the best passer in the team and not young and inexperienced, giving away possession cheaply, with simple straight-forward passes that were awful.

And I've seen him do it in every game I've seen him play. And I didn't see Saints last season.

We'll get there, but we need more emphasis on change of pace and and varying things. And we need to tighten up our movement and decision making. Half of that will definitely come the more we play like this. The other half may do, but probably needs a little emphasis.

I think we'll actually do better against teams that come at us. We were much much more attacking v Chelsea IMO, where we had about half the possession. (Based on the first half of that game anyway)

313 posts