How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

2058 posts
howser
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How impressed are you with BMcD's return to the club?

by howser » 06 Feb 2016 18:44

[quote="AirRaidSiren"]Brian one trick pony McDermott the manager who was sought after after his sacking from here, sarcasm intended, now back with us to show the faithful what a fabulous manager he is.

The faithful will say:

'It's not his team'
'Give him a chance'
'It's the players fault'
'It's the owners fault'
And the classic 'he won us the title before, don't you remember?'

Yes i do. Thank you.

He will never ever be that lucky again.

The owners really must take time on the next manager after Brian is shown the door, hopefully that will be sooner than later[/quote]

wow you are taking a chance putting that on here!! (mind you I do agree with you)

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 06 Feb 2016 18:49

howser
AirRaidSiren Brian one trick pony McDermott the manager who was sought after after his sacking from here, sarcasm intended, now back with us to show the faithful what a fabulous manager he is.

The faithful will say:

'It's not his team'
'Give him a chance'
'It's the players fault'
'It's the owners fault'

Yes i do. Thank you.

The owners really must take time on the next manager after Brian is shown the door, hopefully that will be sooner than later

wow you are taking a chance putting that on here!! (mind you I do agree with you)

I just think we were going in the right direction until the Fulham incident with Clarke, a good squad that were playing with confidence and ACTUALLY looking decent. We are back to shit again with shitty signings brought in. Brian has proved nothing and never will again.

It is that obvious.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Feb 2016 18:51

:shock:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Feb 2016 20:06

AirRaidSiren
howser
AirRaidSiren Brian one trick pony McDermott the manager who was sought after after his sacking from here, sarcasm intended, now back with us to show the faithful what a fabulous manager he is.

The faithful will say:

'It's not his team'
'Give him a chance'
'It's the players fault'
'It's the owners fault'

Yes i do. Thank you.

The owners really must take time on the next manager after Brian is shown the door, hopefully that will be sooner than later

I just think we were going in the right direction until the Fulham incident with Clarke, a good squad that were playing with confidence and ACTUALLY looking decent. We are back to shit again with shitty signings brought in. Brian has proved nothing and never will again.

It is that obvious.

Having seen how the owners got involved in the last transfer window I'm beginning to think that there was a very good reason why Clarke went to speak to Fulham and it wasn't just salary. Maybe he got there and found out that their owners also wanted to get too involved.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 06 Feb 2016 20:38

RoyalBlue
AirRaidSiren
howser

It is that obvious.

Having seen how the owners got involved in the last transfer window I'm beginning to think that there was a very good reason why Clarke went to speak to Fulham and it wasn't just salary. Maybe he got there and found out that their owners also wanted to get too involved.

Well, that certainly hasn't put our messiah Brian off, has it?

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 06 Feb 2016 21:11

Impressed:
Outing Sa for some money.
Getting much more out of Vydra.
Picking Cooper over Hector.
Signing Kermogant.
Keeping Williams.
Getting rid of "the ego's" (we know who he meant).
Improvement in Al Habsi.

Not impressed:
Results so far.

Verdict: We are a work in progress and IBWHF

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Feb 2016 21:23

AirRaidSiren
RoyalBlue
AirRaidSiren

It is that obvious.

Well, that certainly hasn't put our messiah Brian off, has it?

No, because he's a 'yes man', happy to take the money and not rock the boat.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 06 Feb 2016 22:07

Lol at the concept of not rocking the boat being a negative thing. The boat rockers at my place of work are almost all ubertwats who've whinged themselves into not being taken seriously.

You've got to play the game.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 06 Feb 2016 22:29

He needs to try something different in midfield. Is it any coincidence we've been pretty poor since Williams and Norwood joined in the Adkins era? Just not a good pairing. The times we've looked best this season we had Tish and Quinn in midfield as well. Norwood is generally poor when the oppo plays a 5 in midfield formation, like wolves did today.

He needs to look at Leicester at the moment. Two midfielders who protect the back four and keep play moving quickly. We looked like we were playing more direct in Brian's first couple of games, but we are now backing to playing everything through Norwood, which clearly isn't working.

prfoster

by prfoster » 07 Feb 2016 02:40

underwhelmed , he should not of got the job again, already showing signs of reverting back to old boring style and using his fav players such as HRK and GM , this is not only not a good sign but bums on seats already starting to show dissatisfaction. young coach with bright ideas is way forward , need to move him on and start season with younger team on board. trust me it stinks

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Feb 2016 10:46

I know I'm going to get shouted down for this, but I think the current style of play is still representative of Adkins and Clarke, and not McDermott's old style. I actually think we would be better at the moment bypassing Norwood, and getting Vydra and Rakells running the channels with Williams and the wide players hitting the box. What we are doing now just isn't working. Vydra needs to keep hold of the ball a bit, try to turn his man and shoot rather than constantly trying a little lay off and go.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Feb 2016 14:59

Not particularly. There was a glimmer of hope for the playoffs when he came back. as has been said this IS the season to be promoted... Boro, Burnley & Hull are my picks to go up. When you see that Villa, Sunderland and west brom could be on the way down its going to be a bloody strong division again next year.

'We move on'. Keep saying it Brian. The players, owners and fans (customers :wink: ) may well do unless this league form picks up. Two years with one of the poorest fl records (seen the stats somewhere for 2015) League 1 may at some point become a reality.

It's a results business. He needs to turn this slide around and find this 'tick' he is looking for and fast.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Feb 2016 18:10

IIRC Blackburn at home was Brian's first game in charge and if so our goals return in the league under him is:
Played 9
Goals scored 6

Regardless of anything else such as these not being his players etc. that is not good and not very exciting.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 07 Feb 2016 18:45

Like it or lump it I would think we are stuck with him, even if we went down it would be shrouded in the "we move on" and " we look to bounce back next season". The owners/ board etc... now do not speek to the fans or the media about what is going on. I think it's fair to say that all the player movement in the summer that was heralded with excitement, has hardly broke the bank, was mosty on the back of the Hector money I guess.

We seem to be in limbo and all the "it isn't his squad", "he is finding his best formation" etc.....well being here for nearly 2 months and without doubt having a pretty good idea of what our strengths and weeknesses of the squad were, before he was identified as the best candidate for the job, the overall performances, effort and emotion within the team still looks pretty non-existant. So it would look like we are going for another squad overhaul in the summer, if the construction budget allows it of course ? and if their development plans fail what is the position of the Thais ? stay or just run for it ?

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 07 Feb 2016 19:07

Some of the quotes on here make me chuckle. Hoof ball, one trick pony, playing his favorites etc ,etc. What on earth are you watching ? As many posters have commented, we are almost overplaying at present with everything going through Norwood. It's completely different to how we played when we last won the league where we'd go direct in to Noel Hunt and then play of him in the final third.
My guess is that a lot has gone on behind the scenes in the last 6 months and that we'll be more effective side next year. There will be a reason Clarke went to speak to Fulham and a reason Brian's appointment was delayed. Maybe something along the following lines ?
- Owners commit genuine summer investment but think that signing as many attacking players as possible is the way out of the Championship.
- September fools us as with some fantastic performances. But, sides have set up against us as if we're there for the taking only to get a big shock. Mick M admitted as much after the Ipswich game.
- Steve Clarke (who was deemed a defence minded manager at WBA) recognises he has a problem. He wants to adjust accordingly but has owner interference in terms of playing their own summer acquisitions. This leads to him speaking to Fulham.
- Brian is offered the job but also recognises the same issues. He is eventually appointed only after the owners accept that maybe he knows more about the type of player required to compete in this league than they do.

My expectation now is that he will pick sides that are based as much as possible around players who will be here next year. I would expect Cooper to play regularly as well as the likes of Tshibola and Evans. I'd then expect the owners to have another go next year (last year of parachute money) but with a mix shift towards proven performers in the championship. I'd also expect to see far more spend on proper defenders (keeper included) versus forwards / wingers / no 10's etc.
I may be completely wrong in all of the above but what I am sure about is that you can't pass judgment on BM until next season based on all that has gone on in recent times.

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 07 Feb 2016 19:51

My guess is that Donut was never going to set the world alight but steady the team to mid table obscurity. That leaves the owners to concentrate on what's important to them IE building things and making money. Although I heard a rumour the stadium expansion is still floating around and deffo in their thoughts going forward : which might negate my theory before I've even finished typing :lol: :(

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 07 Feb 2016 22:47

RoyalBlue
AirRaidSiren
howser

It is that obvious.

SC spoke to Fulham because the club allowed them to approach him. There was a lot of rubbish on Sky and BBC at the time which was untrue. If the club had made a sensible statement like Barsnley did last week (about Lee Johnson being approached by Bristol City) we may not be in this mess ..

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Feb 2016 23:15

3points I know I'm going to get shouted down for this, but I think the current style of play is still representative of Adkins and Clarke, and not McDermott's old style. I actually think we would be better at the moment bypassing Norwood, and getting Vydra and Rakells running the channels with Williams and the wide players hitting the box. What we are doing now just isn't working. Vydra needs to keep hold of the ball a bit, try to turn his man and shoot rather than constantly trying a little lay off and go.

It's a fair point. I was watching yesterday and thinking if only Norwood could get the ball forward quicker. With the players we have we should be more direct. And no, Team Board Spazmoids I'm not suggesting "hoofball" I'm talking playing direct, pressing football. Like we did in 05/06 and 11/12.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 08 Feb 2016 11:10

leon
3points I know I'm going to get shouted down for this, but I think the current style of play is still representative of Adkins and Clarke, and not McDermott's old style. I actually think we would be better at the moment bypassing Norwood, and getting Vydra and Rakells running the channels with Williams and the wide players hitting the box. What we are doing now just isn't working. Vydra needs to keep hold of the ball a bit, try to turn his man and shoot rather than constantly trying a little lay off and go.

It's a fair point. I was watching yesterday and thinking if only Norwood could get the ball forward quicker. With the players we have we should be more direct. And no, Team Board Spazmoids I'm not suggesting "hoofball" I'm talking playing direct, pressing football. Like we did in 05/06 and 11/12.

Agreed, Leon.
When Brian came back I was looking forward to the end of incessant sideways passing in our own half and a return to quick forward movement and decent wing play. It's been disappointing that we're still stuck with the boring stuff that Adkins and Clarke tried and failed with.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 08 Feb 2016 11:16

Longhorn1970
RoyalBlue
AirRaidSiren

It is that obvious.

SC spoke to Fulham because the club allowed them to approach him. There was a lot of rubbish on Sky and BBC at the time which was untrue. If the club had made a sensible statement like Barsnley did last week (about Lee Johnson being approached by Bristol City) we may not be in this mess ..

:?:
What you mean the recently appointed Bristol City manager, Lee Johnson, as poached from Barnsley?

2058 posts