How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by Royal Lady » 28 Oct 2012 09:10

I love McD for all he has done at this club, but really, questions have to be asked now about his purchasing the likes of McCleary, Gunter and Guthrie - none get a regular first team start and in the case of Guthrie it looks like his days are numbered. Why did he buy these players if he didn't intend on bringing them into the team? It was obvious from last season that the players we already had here would struggle in the Prem, so new blood was needed, so I don't buy all this "they're here as back up" malarkey. If BM is not playing them because he doesn't think they're good enough, why did he spend the money on them in the first place? That's my worry. And his interview after the game with Dellor bordered on being "Rodgers-esque" I'm afraid - deluded came to mind. :cry:

I really, really hope he can turn this around and November will be make or break for him - if he doesn't start getting wins next month, I fear he'll be gone before Xmas and I'm afraid I really couldn't blame AZ or BZ in the slightest. :cry:

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 28 Oct 2012 09:16

Royal Lady I love McD for all he has done at this club, but really, questions have to be asked now about his purchasing the likes of McCleary, Gunter and Guthrie - none get a regular first team start and in the case of Guthrie it looks like his days are numbered. Why did he buy these players if he didn't intend on bringing them into the team? It was obvious from last season that the players we already had here would struggle in the Prem, so new blood was needed, so I don't buy all this "they're here as back up" malarkey. If BM is not playing them because he doesn't think they're good enough, why did he spend the money on them in the first place? That's my worry. And his interview after the game with Dellor bordered on being "Rodgers-esque" I'm afraid - deluded came to mind. :cry:

I really, really hope he can turn this around and November will be make or break for him - if he doesn't start getting wins next month, I fear he'll be gone before Xmas and I'm afraid I really couldn't blame AZ or BZ in the slightest. :cry:

+1

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 28 Oct 2012 09:32

Royal Lady I love McD for all he has done at this club, but really, questions have to be asked now about his purchasing the likes of McCleary, Gunter and Guthrie - none get a regular first team start and in the case of Guthrie it looks like his days are numbered. Why did he buy these players if he didn't intend on bringing them into the team? It was obvious from last season that the players we already had here would struggle in the Prem, so new blood was needed, so I don't buy all this "they're here as back up" malarkey. If BM is not playing them because he doesn't think they're good enough, why did he spend the money on them in the first place? That's my worry. And his interview after the game with Dellor bordered on being "Rodgers-esque" I'm afraid - deluded came to mind. :cry:

Royal Lady,if only your political post were as sensible as this,you have summed everything up and anyone that do not agree with you are deluded

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Oct 2012 09:33

:D Praise indeed! :wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Oct 2012 10:05

Nine games is an extremely long time to go without a win in the PL. Therefore I suspect that one, other or both managers of the teams with a home kit of blue and white hoops may lose their job after next week's fixture at Loftus Road.

No-one on here knows how much money McDermott was given for the transfer market over the summer but it is clear he was given a reasonable amount and it is increasingly beginning to look like he didn't do a particularly good job with that which he was given.

It was abundantly clear (and even more clear now) that we desperately needed to add real quality in the centre of midfield. McDermott signed Guthrie, a creative, passing player but then seemed to want him to adapt to the longer more direct Reading style of football. That's a bit like spending a good amount of money on a decent screwdriver and then trying to use it as a hammer! A similar thing seems to be happening with Pog. He is a great player but is not being used enough to his strengths i.e. balls into his feet!

Other signings now appear to be acting as backups for players we already had, rather than taking us to an even higher level. I like Cummings and think he will develop into a really good player but question whether he is yet ready to be first choice in a PL team. Yet he is now preferred to Gunter a summer signing. McCleary is another who clearly isn't felt to be head and shoulders above what we already had.

Fact is the team that came up was not good enough to be able to compete in today's PL and that is now becoming increasingly clear. So whose fault is it that it was strengthened sufficiently? The answer to that should be a key factor in determining whether McDermott keeps his job or not.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Oct 2012 10:19

Get rid of McDermott and we will go down. I told you all when he first came in and you lot were calling him McDonut and saying he was the cheap option, the latter not entirely unjustified tbf, that he could surprise you and guess what? He did many times over. With him in charge we may go down but without him we'll definitely go down.
Last edited by sandman on 28 Oct 2012 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Oct 2012 10:21

So no McDermott out campaign yet then :lol:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 28 Oct 2012 10:22

Sadly, it looks like we have barely improved since last season and what was good enough to win the Championship last year isn't good enough at this level. Pog is the only addition that added to the starting 11 and, after flirting with a different style, we've reverted to the tactics and the team of last year and it comprehensively won't be good enough.

In recent weeks, we've been comprehensively outplayed by WBA, Swansea and Fulham, none of whom are likely to finish in the top 8. If nothing changes, we will go down by a significant margin.

If the club wants to spend and grow then McDermott is not the man as his tactical nous is being found wanting and his transfer moves have failed. If we are still buying into the brick by brick approach, then he shouldn't go as he gets more out of this squad than most could and they clearly play for him, but we have to accept we will almost certainly be relegated but think of it as an evolution from Championship team to yo-yo club. Not sure too many fans will be prepared to think that long term.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 28 Oct 2012 10:24

Without wishing to be morbid, Brian is 20/1 to be next Prem manager to go, given that it is a real possibility should we lose at QPR, and QPR are evens to win that, that is a staggeringly generous price.

runtyroyal

by runtyroyal » 28 Oct 2012 10:28

i don't think sacking Brian will do the trick. We're already bought in 6 players in the summer, none of whom have really made that much of an impression. Buying more players will only disrupt the squad even more.

Still think we have enough about us to survive. We have a massive run of games in November, i would say we need at least 9 points from, if we're still bottom 3 after november then we can start to really worry!

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 28 Oct 2012 10:32

Royal Lady was spot on about McDermotts signings, Pog aside,none of them were prem ready and if the money that we are lead to believe he was given then he missed the boat.Whether its Hammond holding him back I don't know but Anton will not let this go on much longer judging by the look of his face yesterday.How many players since he has been manager are first team ready to go players?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 28 Oct 2012 10:33

If the club are going to fire McDermott then it will be essential that they have his replacement already signed up to step in. If not, we will very definitely go down.

runtyroyal i don't think sacking Brian will do the trick. We're already bought in 6 players in the summer, none of whom have really made that much of an impression. Buying more players will only disrupt the squad even more.

Still think we have enough about us to survive. We have a massive run of games in November, i would say we need at least 9 points from, if we're still bottom 3 after november then we can start to really worry!

F*ck off newbie! :wink: And welcome.

But whose fault might it be that the players that have been brought in haven't made much of an impression? I suspect our owners might put that down to the manager who chose and signed them.

themadstad

by themadstad » 28 Oct 2012 11:24

This subject is an interesting one. I think because we have no idea how Anton works. Though Madejski still has a 49% share of the club.

Now we don't know what was provided in terms of funds this summer. I have a feeling that, Brian was asked to provide a list of players to Anton and he'd get them, type of approach was used. Brian did refer to this after promotion and so did Anton. Anton said there's a list we'll work on it.

Anton personally involved in Pog purchase, Brian went to Guthrie on his honeymoon too.

If this was the approach and I wouldn't be surprised if it was as Anton said he trusts Brian, then he might be at risk. If we look back after promotion Brian said a few things about the chat he had with Anton. He said that he was the man he wanted to manage, Brian said he was getting on and wanted to manage in Prem which Anton said yes, we'll have a real good go next season. Brian said he wanted it now, he said that if he got the players he wanted he'd get us up. He got his players, he got us up. The trust then is built and again this summer Brian knew who he wanted.

He has claimed he's happy with who he's got and got them all. Did we bring in that extra quality though, we aren't talking wholesale changes, more supplements of quality to the squad and you don't need to even jizz silly money.

Brian is under pressure though there's no doubt about it and he's a nice guy, the expectation is certainly higher after the takeover.
Last edited by themadstad on 28 Oct 2012 11:26, edited 2 times in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Oct 2012 11:24

Incredibly you can still get 22/1 on him to be the next manager to go

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 28 Oct 2012 11:52

This will be a really difficult decision for AZ, but the reality is that football is a results business and we are not getting any at the moment, maybe we need to bring in a bona fida defense coach, due to our inability to keep a lead, thats one option, is there time for that now we are heading for a third of the season nearly gone ? also of course that is the question if we were to ditch the present management team ?

But I think there will be a wind of change with the new TSI owners, they are not as close and "in touch" with Reading, as a town, that Sir JM was, and as such are more likely to be more factual and brutal than we have become used to over the past 20+ years, a lot of the clubs historical "faith in the group that got us here" will change, yes BMcd has been a fantastic Madejski choice, but AZ will be a different animal where that is concerned I expect. It was mentioned on this thread earlier that if McD went we would need a replacement quickly, I would be very surprised if a replacement wasn't named almost immediately.

With the certain out of work managers already mentioned, 'arry and Curbishly as prime examples, these guys have historicaly never worked well with someone in the "director fo football" position so would we be looking at a complete change at the top with Hammond also being chopped ??

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 28 Oct 2012 11:54

Pepe the Horseman Incredibly you can still get 22/1 on him to be the next manager to go

Where?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 28 Oct 2012 11:54

Pepe the Horseman Incredibly you can still get 22/1 on him to be the next manager to go

I think the bookies may have overlooked the change in ownership although, based on past records, Hughes should probably be the favourite for the push.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 28 Oct 2012 11:56

Royalee

Where?

You're not asking for McDermott are you? He could be thinking of an additional insurance policy! :wink:

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 28 Oct 2012 11:57

McDermott's managerial position on the assumption of a poor November, will be the perfect acid test to the type of guy Anton is.

For me if McDermott is sacked then Anton has visions of staying in the division. He's sees this as a solution to a problem. You normally associate 'rich' owners with the ones who like to sack. This could indicate potential money was there but McDermott was happy to run with his early purchases.

If McDermott isn't sacked then it shows that Anton is a down to earth owner that has a longer term strategy in place. He can accept relegation and look to bounce back immediately. Have a stronger squad in place before we get promoted and rebuild in the summer again.

Just to add though as Zingarevich only owns 51% why are we expecting him to put all the money in. Madejeski is still a major shareholder that should 'technically be aiding with the finances. Once Zingarevich buys the whole lot then we might see a bigger investment.

If we get to January and somehow we are only a couple points of safety and remain reluctant to purchase; then I can start to believe little money is there!
Last edited by Royal91 on 28 Oct 2012 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 28 Oct 2012 11:59

Schards#2 In recent weeks, we've been comprehensively outplayed by...Fulham

???

3209 posts