Back From The Game - Ipswich Town

202 posts
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back From The Game - Ipswich Town

by Maguire » 29 Sep 2010 00:56

Cummings' booking was fcking brilliant. "Don't panic lads, I've got this one" *smack*

What/when was Mills' first booking? We all missed it.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 29 Sep 2010 00:57

Maguire Cummings' booking was fcking brilliant. "Don't panic lads, I've got this one" *smack*

Same as his second, a blatant block when the ball had run past him.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Sep 2010 01:00

Kitson12
Maguire Cummings' booking was fcking brilliant. "Don't panic lads, I've got this one" *smack*

Same as his second, a blatant block when the ball had run past him.

When? Must have been near the beginning/end of a half, no?

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 29 Sep 2010 01:03

2/3rds of the way through the first half IIRC.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Sep 2010 01:06

Kitson12 2/3rds of the way through the first half IIRC.

Just checked on the BBC - 40:43.

I was at the bar 8)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Sep 2010 01:07

What I liked about this one was the spirit, especially in the last ten

And Ipswich will be knocking on the door this season. Good midfield
VG left back, excellent hold-up striker in Jason Scotland

Federici - 7.5 A bit unsure first half but way better second, and a clean sheet, so...
Cummings - 8.5 - Had an excellent game, I thought. Did lots of good things. If he ever beefs up...
Mills - 5 Looked "wrong" all night, and the second yellow was dumb. NOT a Captain's performance
Pearce - 8 Seemed unflappable. Wanted to win
Harte - 7 - Couple of small mistakes early, done for speed once, but generally good game
Armstrong - 8.5 - GREAT BLOKE and what a player. Inspiration to all. Some great tackles, versatile
Karacan - 9 He takes some smacks. Brave, very hard working against a good midfield.
Kebe - 6 - Quiet game. Didn't look happy, but still OK, and worked well with Cummings. Defender was VERY good
McAnuff - 7 - Only remember a couple of good moments, but not a disaster
Robson-Kanu - 8 - VG first half and OK second, but looks like he can keep improving
Long - 8 - Unsung hero? Got kicked to death. Led the line well

Antonio - 7 - did OK but looked very raw tonight
Church - Well done for the goal, of course, but not enough time on to get a real rating
Hunt - 5 - Doesn't yet have that spark back.

McD - 9 - Miracle man.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 Sep 2010 01:13

Maguire Very even game with nothing between the sides. Decent performances from the lesser names today - Cummings, Armstrong, Karacan, even HRK to an extent. Thought the second sending off threw the game out of its stride a bit and both sides struggled to re-assert themselves in the 10v10 situation. If there was going to be a goal then I thought it'd be a scrappy one and so it proved. Oh well, i'll take it.

PS - Antonio :lol:

Yes I can't believe others thinking he did well
First time I have seen him and well, he tries hard that's about it.

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 29 Sep 2010 01:18

Maguire Very even game with nothing between the sides. Decent performances from the lesser names today - Cummings, Armstrong, Karacan, even HRK to an extent. Thought the second sending off threw the game out of its stride a bit and both sides struggled to re-assert themselves in the 10v10 situation. If there was going to be a goal then I thought it'd be a scrappy one and so it proved. Oh well, i'll take it.

Agree with that.

Snowball Cummings - 8.5 - Had an excellent game, I thought. Did lots of good things. If he ever beefs up...
Pearce - 8 Seemed unflappable. Wanted to win
Kebe - 6 - Quiet game. Didn't look happy, but still OK, and worked well with Cummings. Defender was VERY good
McAnuff - 7 - Only remember a couple of good moments, but not a disaster
Robson-Kanu - 8 - VG first half and OK second, but looks like he can keep improving
Long - 8 - Unsung hero? Got kicked to death. Led the line well

Hunt - 5 - Doesn't yet have that spark back.

McD - 9 - Miracle man.

You're actualy quite a hole. Watching MOTD, blurs your judgement. Football isn't Fifa 2011, you know.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Cummings

by Royal With Cheese » 29 Sep 2010 01:26

Maguire Which one was the number 2 btw? The left back?

Yes. He was awsome. Kebe wasn't fully fit but the number 2 (Peters I think his name is) had him sussed from the outset, never gave him any time on the ball and timed tackles perfectly. Not short of pace either. Preimership bound on that display.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 29 Sep 2010 01:30

Royal With Cheese

Yes. He was awsome. Kebe wasn't fully fit but the number 2 (Peters I think his name is) had him sussed from the outset, never gave him any time on the ball and timed tackles perfectly. Not short of pace either. Preimership bound on that display.

Jamie Peters (Their No.2) was my MOM had Kebe in his pocket. Only 23 so looks like a good prospect

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Sep 2010 09:10

Best game I have seen Pearce have. He was everything that a CB should be. He ran the back 3 last night. I say 3 because there was no point Mills being there. Complete tool for getting sent off.

Karacan had a very solid game as did Armstrong. But I am not convinced about Jobi playing off the striker. Kebe was well marshalled and really did not get into the game. Agree with the comments about the Ipswich left back - MoM performance for me.

The ref? He made a couple of errors but was well supported by his assistants which is why they are there. What else could he do about the bookings? If anything, he maybe should have issued one more yellow to Ipswich. I think it was Norris - their #8 who went clean through the back of one of our players. That aside he was fine.

Who is this Shaun Cummings? Really good performance from him. Harte was wasteful with his set piece deliveries and his first 3 times on the ball gave it away. But he did slot in well at CB after Mills saw red.

Long was excellent. led the line really well, won loads of headers and would have benefitted from having someone alongside him.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 Sep 2010 09:12

Karacan was immense last night.

That was a stunning performance by the lad. He showed superb bravery. I'm very proud of the lad. He set a great example and I think his desire and commitment raised the bar for the whole side last night. They managed to fight and stay in the game with an Ipswich side that was very physical, very fast, very skillful and who were threatening to overrun us. Karacan held our whole side together until Church popped up with the winner.

Ipswich were by far and away the best team we have faced so far this season. There is no doubt that they will be in the mix up. Right now, the mix up looks like it will almost certainly include QPR, Cardiff, Ipswich & Pompey. The other 2 places in the top 6 looks like it could be a fight out between a whole load of teams including Reading, Norwich, Burnley, Swansea, Leeds and a host of others which is difficult to predict at this early stage.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 Sep 2010 09:20

Impressive performances from last night go to:

Ipswich - Peters (Absolutely top class, looked Premiership quality
Ipswich - Townsend (looked very dangerous, strong and fast)
Ipswich - Scotland (not many leave Mills in a heap on the floor, really should have scored)

Reading - Karacan (Brave and gutsy - I saw him limping back to his car at the end of the night)
Reading - Long (Best performance from Long in a while - Lead the line brilliantly)
Reading - Pearce (Won everything at the back)

Flops from last night

Ipswich - Hyam (Stupid sending off, Keane should fine him. It was unnecessary)

Reading - Mills (Didn't deal with Scotland, I thought he was unlucky to get sent off)
Reading - McAnuff (Looked lost playing out of his position in the Sigurdsson role)

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 29 Sep 2010 09:29

On the way back there was actually a witty text on RadioB. Last season short Cummings, this season second Cummings.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Sep 2010 09:34

Terminal Boardom Best game I have seen Pearce have. He was everything that a CB should be. He ran the back 3 last night. I say 3 because there was no point Mills being there. Complete tool for getting sent off.

What happened to 'no more Egodome til the old coot leaves', TB :wink: ?

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 29 Sep 2010 10:02

@ Top Flight. How on earth do you think Mills was unlucky to be sent off? Two cynical challenges, the second was horrendous, when on a yellow you just don't make that kind of STUPID challenge. He deserved to be sent off, and I for one hope McDermott throws the book at him. He needs to look at his performance at Leicester and try and get the idiotic, hot-headed element out of his game. Or he'll be sent off plenty more times this season.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 29 Sep 2010 10:04

Really enjoyable, tight and in some ways 'ugly' game. Very pleased with the result, and for the fact that one of our strikers scored!

Big pluses for me:

Cummings - like a new signing, seeming to improve with every game. Keep it up
Armstrong - like another new signing. Thought he played well in midfield and then effortlessly switched to LB when we went to 10
Hal R-K - not many have mentioned him. He faded a bit but I thoght he looked very good in the first half - pace and power, good skills and seemed able to deliver a ball into the box
Macanuff - not his best game, but well done to him for giving yet another role a try for the team
Karacan - lovely terrier-like performance. never gave up, always a nuisance to Ipswich midfield
Long - shame he didn't get a goal, but maybe he has a future in defence - some excellent clearances from corners and free kicks
Fed - looked solid

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 29 Sep 2010 10:07

Kitson12 @ Top Flight. How on earth do you think Mills was unlucky to be sent off? Two cynical challenges, the second was horrendous, when on a yellow you just don't make that kind of STUPID challenge. He deserved to be sent off, and I for one hope McDermott throws the book at him. He needs to look at his performance at Leicester and try and get the idiotic, hot-headed element out of his game. Or he'll be sent off plenty more times this season.

especially being our captain, does not bode well!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 29 Sep 2010 10:19

Royal With Cheese

RwC - you were there??!

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 29 Sep 2010 10:24

Very watchable game.

+ Thought Karacan was immense.
Cumming's defending was excellent, just wish he'd show a bit more confidence at the other end. Perhaps that will come.
Armstrong - superb. Has got to be first choice left back once Tabb is fit.
Long - tireless battling.

- Mills - needless second yellow. Not what you expect from your captain.
Groundsman - Obviously didn't realize they switched round at kick-off and watered the wrong end at half time!

202 posts