Re: Celebrations ruined

by brendywendy » 12 Sep 2011 13:51

probably only the worst since the last watford game

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Sep 2011 13:54

Royal Rother Football plays way too important a part in some people's lives. :|

Why shouldn't it? If you've worked hard all week football is the thing you do at the end of the week an escape from the everyday drudgery of life. Especially in a country that is in a depressing state atm.

Personally I don't get it but I'm not sure why we've got mini Hitlers like you telling people what to think and do.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Sep 2011 13:55

if he wants guaranteed "entertainment", go and watch WWE
RFC just guarantee a football match.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Sep 2011 14:04

sandman
Royal Rother Football plays way too important a part in some people's lives. :|

Why shouldn't it? If you've worked hard all week football is the thing you do at the end of the week an escape from the everyday drudgery of life. Especially in a country that is in a depressing state atm.

Personally I don't get it but I'm not sure why we've got mini Hitlers like you telling people what to think and do.

Why have you quoted my post? Your response doesn't seem to fit my comment.

But I do kinda like the thought that an escape from the drudgery of everyday life involves watching a crap football match that then sends you into a depression that could take the shine off the celebrations of a 50 year marriage.

Some escape.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 12 Sep 2011 14:11

LUX
Barney To the originator of this thread...if you have GENUINELY supported Reading FC for 60+ years then trust me, times have been a lot worse than this.
You clearly do not remember the early 1970s (when we couldn't even get out of the 4th division). You don't remember the early 1980s when some crowds were less than 2000. You don't remember nearly going out of existence with Maxwell.

Yeah it hurt yesterday. Yeah it ruined my weekend. Yeah it's horrible being 2nd bottom of the table. Will I be back against Doncaster...YEP.
And will I be renewing my ST next season (in whatever division we are in)?....YEP.

Point is....you enjoy the good times and roll with the bad times. That is what being a supporter is about.

Good old Norcot common sense, spot on!

I suppose it depends on how you remember the past times.

I was a young lad in the 70's stood on the Tilehurst end amongst a crowd of sometimes 1,700. I was also there when the only room left in the ground was halfway up the floodlights against Southampton. Do I class any of these as bad times, no just part and parcel of supporting my local club and not being lured by the temptation of Liverpool or Man United.

Was Saturday a bad time, yeah of course it was on the day but it didn't go as far as spoiling my Jalfrezi on Saturday night, let alone an anniversary or the thought of, if I were a season ticket holder, throwing them in the Thames.

We have moved on leaps and bounds since the 70's and 80's, they weren't dark days, just days full of memories of my turbulent relationship with RFC. We've come to expect much greater things in recent years but do we really expect to progressively move forward without a hitch?

Ok we seem to have hit that hitch, BM will now be proving his worth as a manager in a far greater way than when on an unbeaten run last year. SJM will be praying that BM can do what he is best at and coach the best out of all of the players at his disposal.
If all goes tits up, SJM will for the first time be diving into his pocket in January to buy his way away from the relegation zone so that he doesn't have to start at the back page of the rich list to read his worth.

Whichever way, Saturday was inexcusable, lack of skill we can understand but lack of desire to play a game of football for Reading FC, none of us will put up with that for long!

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 12 Sep 2011 14:23

60 years and that was the worst performance you can remember? Were you there with 1700 at home to Preston? Those defeats to bogey team Bury in 70's. Even recent years 6-0 Bristol Rovers. 3-0 Wimbledon when we were managed by the clubs best ever manager?
I only go back 30 odd years and I could write a book on the number of rubish performances I've watched by Reading over the years. I will be there Saturday and I will get a season ticket next season what ever league we are in. It's what supporting a team like Reading is all about, you have to suffer the bad times to apreciate the good times even more when they come along.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 12 Sep 2011 14:28

As always, you need to experience the bad times in order to appreciate the good times and to put them into perspective.

If everything was always great it'd be no fun - but supporting a team that has ups and down is character building as well as all part of the experience of being a proper, well-rounded supporter.

So to attach so much significance to just one match is a bit odd, IMHO.

Trainspotter

by Trainspotter » 12 Sep 2011 14:30

The game was absolute shite, but never mind - what aboutthe georgeous dancing girls! More please.

Trainspotter

by Trainspotter » 12 Sep 2011 14:32

I know I spelt 'gorgeous' wrongly! Smart arse!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Sep 2011 14:42

Trainspotter The game was absolute shite, but never mind - what aboutthe georgeous dancing girls! More please.

MMMmmm
wet white tops

stickywhisky

by stickywhisky » 12 Sep 2011 15:29

Yawn, 6 games played - 40 left to play for :roll:

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 12 Sep 2011 15:40

Maguire No idea why all the old boys are leaving this board/the club in their droves but can a mod help them do it all in one thread please.

I'm so annoyed about yesterday I'm never going to watch them again this season and i'll stand by this until at least Friday night

Don't worry, Mags. I'll never leave....

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 12 Sep 2011 15:42

Royal & Ancient Well thank you R.F.C. for ruining our week. Our Golden Wedding anniversary, superb meal out with loads of friends, big home party with even more and then we go on Saturday to one of the worst games that I can remember in all my 60 + years of supporting this Club. And certainly this is my last as I, as well as the Chairman, can no longer afford to support such dross. My shirt will now be used to clean the car and whether I use my S/T again is open to doubt.Angry - you bet I am.
And, I know that some of you will defend him, but if you get such a negative outlook from SJM (I refuse to recognise the 'gongs' ) then this spreads right through the whole Club and now the supporters! Just thank goodness we did not use the expensive hospitality suite.
So if they go down a Division and more in the future as they deserve then I won't be there.
Goodbye!!!!

What a twat :lol:

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 12 Sep 2011 15:47

Muguire
Royal & Ancient Well thank you R.F.C. for ruining our week. Our Golden Wedding anniversary, superb meal out with loads of friends, big home party with even more and then we go on Saturday to one of the worst games that I can remember in all my 60 + years of supporting this Club. And certainly this is my last as I, as well as the Chairman, can no longer afford to support such dross. My shirt will now be used to clean the car and whether I use my S/T again is open to doubt.Angry - you bet I am.
And, I know that some of you will defend him, but if you get such a negative outlook from SJM (I refuse to recognise the 'gongs' ) then this spreads right through the whole Club and now the supporters! Just thank goodness we did not use the expensive hospitality suite.
So if they go down a Division and more in the future as they deserve then I won't be there.
Goodbye!!!!

TBF you could be in your box before the season's out anyway :!:

ALOL

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 12 Sep 2011 15:48

LOLZ

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Sep 2011 17:04

brendywendy if he wants guaranteed "entertainment", go and watch WWE
RFC just guarantee a football match.

More like a football mismatch on Saturday! :(

Svlad Cjelli As always, you need to experience the bad times in order to appreciate the good times and to put them into perspective.

If everything was always great it'd be no fun - but supporting a team that has ups and down is character building as well as all part of the experience of being a proper, well-rounded supporter.

So to attach so much significance to just one match is a bit odd, IMHO.

So you think he completely ignored all of the other poor performances (Leicester being the one exception) so far this season?
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 12 Sep 2011 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 12 Sep 2011 17:05

it got to the stage on Sat where is was so bad it was almost a bit amusing

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Sep 2011 17:31

Difference is that in the 70's in Div 4 the cost was a damned less expensive, if you want to charge top dollar then you need to offer value for money, does anyone here think that £20 to watch football is good value?

under the tin

by under the tin » 12 Sep 2011 18:21

Harpers So Solid Crew Difference is that in the 70's in Div 4 the cost was a damned less expensive, if you want to charge top dollar then you need to offer value for money, does anyone here think that £20 to watch football is good value?

To be fair, I don't think that there is any such thing as a "cheap day out" anymore.
For me, the missus, and two grandkids to spend the day at somewhere like Alton Towers, even ignoring travel costs, the money is eye watering.
(particularly when you consider that all day there consists of about six hours standing in queues, and only about 20 minutes in total spent on the actual rides)

Nah, I don't buy the expensive ticket argument.
For me the 70's was about supporting my local football club, who had players who lived in similar houses to mine, drove similar cars, etc.

I can recall a television advert from years back. I think it was for one of the mobile phone networks.
The opening shot was the proverbial "one man and his dog" (and the man's son), stood at the side of a football pitch, watching a lowly match, with their scarves on.
The next scene cuts to a now fully grown son, in somewhere like Australia, talking to his dad who is stood in a magnificent stadium, with the roar of thousands of fellow supporters as a backdrop, watching the same club as they used to all those years before.
I saw the resonance with how little old Reading have grown, and it cheered me to think that little old Reading would be a big, strong club.

Well, we've certainly become a bigger club than we once were, but we're not a stronger one, despite that.
Today's football experience is about giving money to a football club, not to support it, so it becomes bigger, stronger, and hopefully more successful, but it has become about keeping overpaid footballers in a lifestyle to which they have become accustomed, by paying wages that the football club cannot really afford, subsidised by the sale of the best of those same footballers to rivals.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Sep 2011 18:59

What do you mean when you say we are not "stronger" than before?

What's your measure of strength?

134 posts