How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 22 Sep 2012 18:55

harryroyal
Rev Algenon Stickleback H He performed miracles to get the team up last season, but it might have been better if he hadn't. I just don't think we are anywhere near good enough, and no change of manager will alter that.

What do you mean better if he hadn't. Even if we're not good enough we have the oppurtunity to play in the best league in the world.

Maybe I'm in a minority, but I'd watch us as a decent championship side than watch us go down with about 25 points in the premier league.

The upside is that the parachute money might allow us to build next season, and maybe come back better.

Stuboo

Re: In Brian We Trust.

by Stuboo » 22 Sep 2012 18:56

Brilliant thread. 10/10. I agree that we always start slowly and McD will do brilliantly for us this season.

I don't think he knows his best team at the moment, but he is working it out and when he does it's onwards and upwards for me.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 22 Sep 2012 18:58

Stuboo Brilliant thread. 10/10.

:|

Low standards.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 22 Sep 2012 19:02

Give it time. I can visualise it now as being a place to post about any McD tactical masterstrokes that occur through the season.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 22 Sep 2012 19:06

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
harryroyal
Rev Algenon Stickleback H He performed miracles to get the team up last season, but it might have been better if he hadn't. I just don't think we are anywhere near good enough, and no change of manager will alter that.

What do you mean better if he hadn't. Even if we're not good enough we have the oppurtunity to play in the best league in the world.

Maybe I'm in a minority, but I'd watch us as a decent championship side than watch us go down with about 25 points in the premier league.

The upside is that the parachute money might allow us to build next season, and maybe come back better.

I really don't understand this type of thinking. We are there now but it might be better if we go back down to build a team which is PL ready, instead of building one, by adding to the core of a very solid team we already have, now that we're there? Plus next year's PL teams will receive a huge windfall from the new tv money...

No, I don't want to be a championship side ever again. With all of the new owners with deep pockets in the championship it will be even more difficult to get promoted back to the PL in the future.

We just needed 2-3 more PL calibre players. I don't know whose decision it was not to add those players but whomever made that decision looks to have made a poor one.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 22 Sep 2012 19:38

We can't say we will never be a Championship team again... I expect Liverpool will be a Championship team at some point in the next 3 years

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 22 Sep 2012 19:40

We have since the Coppell era had the "we had the money but we didn't spend it" saga, who knows ?? did we ?? there is certainly question marks about the guys we got in, as far as the amount of new faces go we got several ones in, however, there was very few with a reasonable level Premiership experience, Guthrie and Pog aside. The state of the Premiership at the moment means that unless you have an exceptional Championship winning or promoted side into the premiership, then reasonable investment in proven Premiership players is essential.

A major critisism so far in these early stages of the season is that we are not creating chances, many times last year during our amazing run in, the "back from the games" reports came up with the same remarks we, on many occassions last season "nicked" games with very few shot, let alone ones on target, so in all honesty no one should be surprised at our lack of creativity.

In reality if we continue to perform like we are at the moment time will come when Mcdermotts position will come into question, it has to !! and as was mentioned earlier in this thread, Redknap is just down the road from here, and has said on many occassions that he wants management again. Almost certainly if the worst was to happen then his name would be up there, gut feeling says that these guys don't invest to fail, as was said earlier maybe we achieved too much last season, we are in the top league in europe now and that is where Anton will want us to stay and I just don't think that, if there is no appreciable improvement, he will wait for half the season to be gone before he makes his decision. Not doom mongering just my opinion.

I do have fears for McD's job security particularly with 'arry just down the road, although he would insisit on major investment, a bit of a quandry really ?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Sep 2012 20:02

The answer to this really depends on whether he was offered more money to add to his squad but chose not to use it.

If that was the case then I think his days may be numbered. Madejski won't have forgotten how Coppell keeping faith with the his original players for too long cost us our PL status last time around.

If McDermott did choose not to spend more and our form doesn't turn around, then I can see him being sacked by the end of November to allow a new manager to be appointed and ready for the January transfer window.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 22 Sep 2012 20:04

ManchesterRoyals How long do u give him?

I like him as a manger but how long do you think he will get

Dunno if this is true but ive heard it mentioned on here i think that H Redknapp could be lined up for the job after BM

He should get all season, pretty sure we have spent the least in the transfer market, on a team that for much of the season struggled for consistancy in the Championship

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 22 Sep 2012 20:05

If he manages to turn this debacle around with the players at his disposal then he won't be our manager for long!

Equally if he doesn't turn it around his days may be numbered.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 22 Sep 2012 20:12

RoyalBlue If he manages to turn this debacle around with the players at his disposal then he won't be our manager for long!

and tell me who excactly is resonsible fot the player quality we have here right now? hes already said he is happy with what we have eher already,my take on it is he coulnt see what was so fecking blatanlty obvuious to most of us. he i a great job last year but he will need to treble it this year to keep us up.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 22 Sep 2012 20:13

RoyalBlue The answer to this really depends on whether he was offered more money to add to his squad but chose not to use it.

If that was the case then I think his days may be numbered. Madejski won't have forgotten how Coppell keeping faith with the his original players for too long cost us our PL status last time around.

If McDermott did choose not to spend more and our form doesn't turn around, then I can see him being sacked by the end of November to allow a new manager to be appointed and ready for the January transfer window.

For once im going to agree with u lol

But did he have the money to spend?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 22 Sep 2012 20:20

ManchesterRoyals
RoyalBlue The answer to this really depends on whether he was offered more money to add to his squad but chose not to use it.

To answer that, I reckon 'the ghost'/influence of Madejski lives on. Could be our new owner got bad advice and therefore sufficient funds weren't made available to McDermott. His 'happy with the squad he had got' could well have been that any other affordable (in RFC budget terms) players wouldn't have added anything.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 22 Sep 2012 20:22

RoyalBlue
ManchesterRoyals

To answer that, I reckon 'the ghost'/influence of Madejski lives on. Could be our new owner got bad advice and therefore sufficient funds weren't made available to McDermott. His 'happy with the squad he had got' could well have been that any other affordable (in RFC budget terms) players wouldn't have added anything.

I think ur right

Question is N hammond still at the club?

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 22 Sep 2012 20:23

PMSL at this thread.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 22 Sep 2012 20:29

RoyalBlue If he manages to turn this debacle around with the players at his disposal then he won't be our manager for long!

I know what you are saying, but I'm suprised that you see the bad even in the scenario where we improve and do well. :shock:

Royal Dee

by Royal Dee » 22 Sep 2012 20:30

Madejski said before the sheff wednesday game in pre season that there would be funds available if mcd thought we needed to strenghten. So we lost to a newly promoted championship side straight after and didnt sign anyone :roll: . Also i think The federici situation has been handled very poorly, if you drop someone you should be man enough to stand by your choice and not to hide behind a lie. ...

larry1971

by larry1971 » 22 Sep 2012 20:54

RoyalBlue
ManchesterRoyals

listening to Mcdermott, last year on BBC Radio Berkshire in the weeks following the sale of Mills and Long, he sounded very frustrated that he hardly got a penny of the money received to buy players and certainly seemed to be towing the party line of saying we are having to financialy tighten our belts so I'ed be very surprised if he chose not to spend the money if it was available. We also don't know exactly who Brian may of tried to sign we need to be realstic in that in terms of football we're a small town club with not much history and pretty much unkown outside of England and and strickt wage structure so Brian may of targeted certain players but could not persaued players to sign for the club.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 22 Sep 2012 21:00

This thread is surely the Reading equivalent of the numpties phoning up 606 last week calling for Nigel Adkins and Tony Pullis to be sacked. :lol:

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 22 Sep 2012 21:04

Stuboo This thread is surely the Reading equivalent of the numpties phoning up 606 last week calling for Nigel Adkins and Tony Pullis to be sacked. :lol:

Whos mentioned we want him sacked ?

3209 posts