If you could attend 1 game you missed...

scumbag

Re: If you could attend 1 game you missed...

by scumbag » 23 Feb 2022 21:54

Kidderminster 2022

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Feb 2022 22:25

tmesis Reading 4 Plymouth 3 in 85/86. 0-3 down with 25 minutes left.

Just a few weeks before I started going.

Yep this game for me or the Friday night game v Tranmere when Friday scored that goal.

The Faith Healer

by The Faith Healer » 23 Feb 2022 22:44

Ark Royal Reading 6 Barnsley 2 in 69/70 season. Les Chappell's headed goal and the move preceding it was described as a thing of beauty. Also missed Reading 6 Barrow 3 from that season.

I was there for both of those! Chappell's flying header was pretty spectacular - IIRC from about 8 yds out max, but body horizontal meeting a hard low cross from the right - Cumming?

Fluff

by Fluff » 23 Feb 2022 22:58

Green Something of a leftfield choice, but simply because it's something that doesn't happen very often I was sorry to miss the abandoned league cup clash against Bury in 1995. Heavy rain at half time forced the abandonment of the fixture, with the Royals 2-0 down at the time.

Maybe I'm just a miserable old sod but I think I'd have enjoyed watched the away fans getting soaked from the comfort of the dry South Bank, and enjoying a reprieve at the mercy of the weather gods (and of course more time in the pub post match)

I was working in the New Inn that night, the away fans weren't to happy.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 23 Feb 2022 23:20

Port Vale away, last game of the 78/79 title winning season. I had to work and missed out on a proper 70’s away day with a dozen lads in the back of a furniture van laden with beer. Made worse by having to listen to boys tell their tales for the next week or so.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 23 Feb 2022 23:20

First game in the Prem v Boro
Played cricket instead

And Brentford as others have said. Had to listen on the radio. Was unbearable

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 24 Feb 2022 06:30

oldebiscuit Port Vale away, last game of the 78/79 title winning season. I had to work and missed out on a proper 70’s away day with a dozen lads in the back of a furniture van laden with beer. Made worse by having to listen to boys tell their tales for the next week or so.

That was some game!
Pitch invasion at the end by some very disgruntled Vale Fans, who in turn were faced by a barrage of stones/bricks etc. from the crumbling terrace by celebrating Reading fans and to top it off it snowed!

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 24 Feb 2022 07:10

Leicester in 2006 is probably the only huge game in the last 20 years I didn’t make.

Aside from that, I regret not being able to do any of the away games in 06/07 when we were more than competing in the Premier League. Stupid Uni.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 24 Feb 2022 07:53

Blackpool away on Saturday…I have tickets, but Putin seems to want the game postponed! :shock:

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 24 Feb 2022 07:56

bcubed First game in the Prem v Boro
Played cricket instead

And Brentford as others have said. Had to listen on the radio. Was unbearable

Agreed! It was SO tense!! I had to listen on my Dad’s radio, via my phone line at Uni in Portsmouth. My parent’s put their landline phone to the speakers, so I could hear the game!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Feb 2022 08:30

Fluff
Green Something of a leftfield choice, but simply because it's something that doesn't happen very often I was sorry to miss the abandoned league cup clash against Bury in 1995. Heavy rain at half time forced the abandonment of the fixture, with the Royals 2-0 down at the time.

Maybe I'm just a miserable old sod but I think I'd have enjoyed watched the away fans getting soaked from the comfort of the dry South Bank, and enjoying a reprieve at the mercy of the weather gods (and of course more time in the pub post match)

I was working in the New Inn that night, the away fans weren't to happy.

Only problem Green was the heavens opened about 20 minutes before kickoff therefore everyone who was on their way into the ground was soaked. Including me.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Feb 2022 10:11

Zip
tmesis Reading 4 Plymouth 3 in 85/86. 0-3 down with 25 minutes left.

Just a few weeks before I started going.

Yep this game for me or the Friday night game v Tranmere when Friday scored that goal.

I don’t remember that being a Friday night game … just checked, it was a Wednesday

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 24 Feb 2022 10:17

Couldn't get a ticket for West Ham (a) in 11/12, but that was on BBC from what I remember so not too bad.

Fortunate to have been at all the other big games over the last 20 years or so. So looking back a bit further, maybe the Tranmere play off game in 95, or going back further the Simod Cup win at Wembley in 88 (I was not quite 5 at the time though).

In terms of uneventful games, I only got to go to one match with my Grandpa - I was mascot for my first Reading game: Leyton Orient (h) in October 1990, which was the last game Grandpa went to before he died, so would have been nice to have been able to go to games with him. I look back on it as something of a "passing of the baton" though at least.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 24 Feb 2022 11:19

My biggest regret was missing the Watneys Cup game v Manchester United; my Father wouldn't take me saying it wasn't a real Cup competition, and that when we drew them in hte Cup (he meant FA Cup of course) he would take me.........26 Years later, when we finally drew Man United in the FA Cup, I took him to the game......

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 24 Feb 2022 11:21

Forest 3 Reading 4 in April 2011.

I was at many of the other games mentioned (Friday's goal. Plymouth 4-3 comeback, the home matches v McGoo's Wolves, Leicester away, all the Liverpool wins, all the 106 matches, Saints away) but for some reason I missed this one and it was simply a cracking match to watch.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 24 Feb 2022 11:28

WestYorksRoyal Derby 2006. Had tickets but came down with a really bad bout of flu and could barely get out of bed for the day.

Yeah, that game for me too. Remember looking at the fixtures in the programme at the Watford game and thinking that this could be the game when we win promotion. IIRC tried to get tickets but wasn't able to, seeing the queue for tickets at the ticket office after that Watford game and deciding to try later...

Still not seen us win promotion or the title. Thought about going to the hotel bar after the Palace game in 2012 when we won the title after it was suggested by a friend but being disappointed and thinking the title had gone gave it a miss. :(

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 24 Feb 2022 11:34

Kitsondinho Blackpool away on Saturday…I have tickets, but Putin seems to want the game postponed! :shock:

Putin doesn’t mind if the game goes ahead

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Feb 2022 11:49

Mr Optimist
From Despair To Where? Exeter (a) in 93/94.

The 6-4 game? Hate to rub it in but I was there. Also went to an opening season game there a couple of seasons earlier when we won 3-1 in the tv interference kit and Craig Maskell looked the business. It was baking hot and it was just a cracking away day. Didn’t take too long afterwards for that early season optimism bubble to be burst though!

My choice would be the Friday goal game against Rochdale as it was just before my time, or Brentford 2002, as I was and still am living 250 miles away and our son was due to be born around the time and couldn’t risk being that far away from home and potentially, most likely, incapacitated through drink!

That Exeter game was something else and I thought we were going to score at least 10.
My daughter was a season-ticket holder in those days and was 6 months pregnant so too much excitement would not have been good for her and after going to the ladies (her, not me) we then snucked into the edge of the stands for the later part of the game.

After that match she made it to the Bournemouth home game (a must for us) that we won 3-0 and even to the big Stockport game in December but for that one we managed to get moved to the stands from the Tilehurst End.
21 days later her daughter was born and the RFC dynasty continued but sadly ended a few years ago when daughter and both grand-daughters fell out of love with the game.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Feb 2022 11:56

Dirk Gently Forest 3 Reading 4 in April 2011.

I was at many of the other games mentioned (Friday's goal. Plymouth 4-3 comeback, the home matches v McGoo's Wolves, Leicester away, all the Liverpool wins, all the 106 matches, Saints away) but for some reason I missed this one and it was simply a cracking match to watch.

That was an amazing game.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 24 Feb 2022 12:34

Newport away 85 I had tickets for the darts at the Fulcrum theatre in Slough. On the plus side I did see John Lowe hit the first TV 9 darter. But would rather have seen us set the record.