Some of Steve Coppell's decisions mystify me

Fezza

by Fezza » 16 Jan 2008 08:45

I have to say I was rather more worried by our utterly toothless attack. FFS Lita and Long are meant to be able to come in for Doyle and Kitson but neither looked anything like a Premiership player.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 16 Jan 2008 08:46

IMO SC is the best manager we have ever had. I would never want him out even if we went down because of the remarkable job he has done.

But imo this season he has made some mistakes.

Transfers – Should have forced Seol to stay. At least until Jan, Seol would have to play well to get himself another club and give us more balance until J Oster and Little are back. We have not built upon our Championship winning team. If you look at Wigan etc other teams that have come up and stayed up, their best players are the players they have bought because of their Prem status. We seem to have not been able to sign anyone worthy of a regular first team slot since we have been promoted. Also SC is saying how Fae and Cisse need to bed in which is a valid point but the best way they are going to learn is by playing. They couldn’t have done much worse then Bryn (imo he has improved in recent weeks though.) SC cited Drogba as an example of someone who played badly first season but Drogba gained experience in the prem by playing every week and he was better for it in his 2nd season.

Matches – Can anyone think of a game where you thought WOW a SC decision won us that game?

We have won 5 games all season apart from Liverpool all by the odd goal. Rafa had a mare in the Liverpool game apart from that we have not beaten anyone convincingly and have had to rely on late goals. We never look comfortable when we venture away from 4-4-2. Coppell admitted after the Blackburn game the formation didn’t work. The half we played 4-4-2 we won 2-1. And then Coppell tries something similar against Villa, which results in another abject performance.

Players – I think KD and DK link up play is a joy to watch but considering the amount of opportunities he’s had KD should have scored more goals. Leroy didn’t score in 2 league starts and was criticised, KD didn’t scored in 7 and nothing was said. I have gone to so many games this season where I think we are lacking energy in CM days why I cant understand why Coppell has not given Fae or Cisse more of a chance. Murts has looked dodgy; Liam R has shown he can play well in the prem before so at least give him a go in his preferred position. I think both Bikey and DLC have been unlucky to not be given more of a chance. Not playing Alex P was also a big mistake on Sat. What message does it send to the academy when 5 CB’s are unavailable and Alex P (allegedly the closest the 1st team) cant get a game. James Henry played well on loan allegedly interesting other prem teams and cant get on the bench even though we have lost 3 players in his position.

Everyone on this board is very appreciate of what Coppell has done but I think we need to get rid of this attitude of its all right if we loose because we have come so far. We are in the prem league we shouldn’t be here to just make up the numbers.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 16 Jan 2008 08:50

Coppell has made numerous mistakes both tactically & in the transfer market this season.

Even the Coppell fan club can realise that?

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 16 Jan 2008 08:55

West Stand Flash Coppell has made numerous mistakes both tactically & in the transfer market this season.

Er nope. Of course, he has made some mistakes, tactically and elsewhere. The man's not a robot. However, I question whether he's made numerous mistakes in the transfer market. How many of you whingers were party to any of the negotiations? You seem to believe that little old Reading have it in their power to attract whoever they like (not true) and also possess pychic abilities as to how players will fit in (not true). And as the for the notion suggested by some, that letting Seol go was a terrible mistake, I'm willing to bet my house that most of you were shrieking for him to leave last year :roll:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Jan 2008 08:56

BobKnows And as the for the notion suggested by some, that letting Seol go was a terrible mistake, I'm willing to bet my house that most of you were shrieking for him to leave last year :roll:

I'm also willing to bet your house that they also said "as long as he is adequately replaced".

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 16 Jan 2008 08:58

BobKnows
West Stand Flash Coppell has made numerous mistakes both tactically & in the transfer market this season.

Er nope. Of course, he has made some mistakes, tactically and elsewhere. The man's not a robot. However, I question whether he's made numerous mistakes in the transfer market. How many of you whingers were party to any of the negotiations? You seem to believe that little old Reading have it in their power to attract whoever they like (not true) and also possess pychic abilities as to how players will fit in (not true). And as the for the notion suggested by some, that letting Seol go was a terrible mistake, I'm willing to bet my house that most of you were shrieking for him to leave last year :roll:

Can't attract players cause we wont pay the money. In Transfer fee's or wages.

Little old Reading indeed.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 16 Jan 2008 08:59

Seol is setting the Prem alive with his performances at Fulham.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 16 Jan 2008 09:00

West Stand Flash
BobKnows

Can't attract players cause we wont pay the money. In Transfer fee's or wages.

Little old Reading indeed.

But we are willing to pay £25k a week, that attracts a lot of good players, but not the kind that most think we should have, the likes of Defoe, Berbatov, Upson.

We need to raid the Championship IMHO, how about Beattie?

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 16 Jan 2008 09:01

Platypuss
BobKnows And as the for the notion suggested by some, that letting Seol go was a terrible mistake, I'm willing to bet my house that most of you were shrieking for him to leave last year :roll:

I'm also willing to bet your house that they also said "as long as he is adequately replaced".

Really? Well I don't remember a lot of the comments at the time being quite so measured, but I could be wrong ... the facts were that Seol really didn't want to play for us anymore, come transfer time. It is difficult to keep a player under those circumstances. And FFS of course we wanted a good replacement, but I've no doubt they tried to get one. I, for one, don't think, that because Reading aren't going to win the treble this season, that the club is run by morons.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 16 Jan 2008 09:01

Alan Partridge Tonight was almost beyond a joke.

From the 1st minute no one knew where they were supposed to be playing.

I thought we were playing 5-4-1 with wing backs at the start, then Rosenior pushed on and went in midfield and DLC was RB, then all of a sudden Rosenior has pushed inside and Long has gone on the right, then Rosenior goes back to right back and DLC goes back to left back with Shorey going to central midfield, with Cisse going to centre back and Long going up front to form a 4-4-2, then Cox came on on the right with Hunt replacing Shorey in the centre

Following? :wink: :lol:

confusing aint it! God knows how the players knew what they were doing.

Think the team talk was something like 'Adam you are in goal tonight, Bobby you are playing wide left, Harps in the middle, Ivar centre back you're captain tonight, everyone give a round of applause for Ivar *applause* Leroy you are up front. OK?

Rosenior 'Errr what about the rest of us boss?'

Ahh you just go out there and enjoy yourselves, whoever runs in the postiions on the pitch first plays there.

Good luck lads.'

Totally agree with this and I think Coppell is finally losing the plot. Stick to 4-4-2 as its the only system we know we can play and is comfortable with.

Taking Pearce of at half time was a joke as he has been waiting so long for a chance even though at times it showed he had been playing for a team rooted at the bottom of League 1. As for Henry he must be tearing his hair out. The sight of Shorey in midfield and Cox on the wing was enough for him to give up. Lita and Long did nothing to inspire me to think that they can challenge Kitson and Doyle for their places.

All quiet on the transfer front and United to come this Saturday. Lets at least give it a go Coppell and not play a containing game in the first half as I fear a tonking is on the cards!

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 16 Jan 2008 09:03

Be like Arsenal at home. We will never NEVER look to get forward & try to hang on for 0-0 from the first second.

Roll on Saturday :roll:

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Jan 2008 09:04

BobKnows
Platypuss

Really? Well I don't remember a lot of the comments at the time being quite so measured, but I could be wrong ... the facts were that Seol really didn't want to play for us anymore, come transfer time. It is difficult to keep a player under those circumstances. And FFS of course we wanted a good replacement, but I've no doubt they tried to get one. I, for one, don't think, that because Reading aren't going to win the treble this season, that the club is run by morons.

The main issue with Seol leaving was that at first glance, we had adequate cover in Oster and Little. However, both Oster and Little were injured/clearly out for a long time before we sold Seol.

So we sold Seol and were left with no-one at right midfield/wing. Played Fae there for a bit, iirc.

And that's not the only time this season we've been left with square pegs in round holes due to the actions of the club or known changes to the squad (ANC, for example). We've had to shore up in both central defence and centre-back in recent weeks due to one player getting injured and one player getting suspended.

I just find this unacceptable.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 16 Jan 2008 09:05

No one can dispute SC had got the maxmium out of his players. But i think he has stuggling with the "better quality" players. Seol was technically the best player (many of his fellow players stated this) at our club. He had a brilliant first month, then he seemed uninterested. I think SC failed to motivate Seol correctly. He had the potential to be brilliant but SC didnt get the best out of him.

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 16 Jan 2008 09:09

papereyes We've had to shore up in both central defence and centre-back in recent weeks due to one player getting injured and one player getting suspended.

We've got a small squad because we're a small club. These things happen and I honestly don't mind. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking for improvement too, and I would personally like to see Steve Coppell being less conservative (a start for Federici, De La Cruz and a change of position for Cisse? perhaps). However, I saw reason for hope yesterday, and have not yet found myself hysterical, and prone to the use of terms like "shambles" or "embarrassment". I.E. I have not yet turned into a Newcastle fan, thank god.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 16 Jan 2008 09:11

Scarface 5-4-1 at home in a cup match we don't even want to win. Coppell is so fcuking negative it isn't true and he let the fans down again last night.

No doubt it will be the same formation Saturday, so expect another shambolic display.

Thing is, look at the number of goals we've been conceding this season. As many as Derby in the league. What manager wouldn't try to do something about that? I'm not saying SC is untouchable, but this "letting us down" business is a bit much. If we kept on getting spanked 6 or 7, would he be letting us down, then? I'm as frustrated at the situation as anyone (especially the state we have got in with centre-backs), but to suddenly accuse SC of negativity just seems to take fickleness to a whole new level, IMVHO. He had to try something to get us back to a position where we might start picking up points again, and why not try that before the crucial post-FA Cup/difficult January period?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 16 Jan 2008 09:11

It would be very unfair for Fed to start in the next two games IMHO, he should start in a game we can realistically win, not ones that we have little chance of winning, was impressed with his saves last night tho.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 16 Jan 2008 09:16

ive got to say last nights team for me was quite a refreshment to see after some of the recent abject performances, it was just a pity we played a system that even a 5 year old can see was totally wrong. I bet Jenas felt priviledged to be man marked for the first time in his career.

Negatives:

Long playing wing back
Lita
Man marking
Shorey centre mid :shock:
Convey

Positives:

Cisse
Cox
Federici

Cant wait for the Man utd debarcle :wink:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Jan 2008 09:17

4-5-1 in the cup when you're at home?

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tactical genius, in Coppell I trust!

Thanks Christ I sold my ticket for that shower of shit.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 16 Jan 2008 09:18

Royalee 4-5-1 in the cup when you're at home?

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tactical genius, in Coppell I trust!

Thanks Christ I sold my ticket for that shower of shit.

Hahahaha
Well said. Put so well.... (are you WSF in disguise?)

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Jan 2008 09:19

BobKnows
papereyes We've had to shore up in both central defence and centre-back in recent weeks due to one player getting injured and one player getting suspended.

We've got a small squad because we're a small club. These things happen and I honestly don't mind. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking for improvement too, and I would personally like to see Steve Coppell being less conservative (a start for Federici, De La Cruz and a change of position for Cisse? perhaps). However, I saw reason for hope yesterday, and have not yet found myself hysterical, and prone to the use of terms like "shambles" or "embarrassment". I.E. I have not yet turned into a Newcastle fan, thank god.

But there's a difference between small squad and unprepared.

Especially when I swear I heard Coppell blame the ANC for the centreback issue, when its been in the calendars for one, two years.

The good thing is that they are relatively minor issues and can be easily sorted. I just don't like unprepared and think it is something that we shouldn't excuse or apologise for.