Rodgers is still the right man

437 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rodgers is still the right man

by Uke » 23 Jul 2010 09:44

Ideal rhroyal, we live in a society where blowing your own trumpet has now become something which will take you places.
Just look at how it works. There are now celebrities that are known for no other reason than being celebrities.
If you have a big mouth and can brag about your own supposed achievements people seem easily taken in by this.
About 10-15 years ago the opposite was the case, this was frowned upon and people would chuckle about "americans and their big mouths".
Nowadays it's not so.
Anyone who just big-ups themself on any occasion seem to be the people that get respect. I am just dumbfounded by this, if you have NOTHING to add to ANY situation, have NO education or credentials, you can still brag your way forward. What the hell happened to society??

Spray-tan, excercise, bleached teeth and a big mouth seems to trump education, brains and ability to converse on advanced topics. WTF?
Should you manage to get on big brother or paradise hotel, you are set for life.

Rant over.

All things being equal you'd still give the job to the one with the biggest tits though

yappy

by yappy » 23 Jul 2010 09:46

MmmMonsterMunch "Starting to turn the corner?" Does he mean the corner that leads to League 1 then?! That is the shittest football I have seen at the Mad Stad for quite some time & I hope never to have to see it again. Sideways passing with no cutting edge or wingplay whatsoever. If that is total football you can keep it.

Agreed 100%. In his last two games we were torn apart by Palace at home, followed by a spineless draw with Scunthorpe, also at home. What evidence is there that we were turning a corner? We had won only one game at home in his entire spell! Even in the first game after he'd left, I thought we looked twice the side.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 23 Jul 2010 09:50

Looking at the cringyworthy comments coming out of Swansea now it makes me appreciate how much he was annoying me with all his chat. I basically just avoided the OS.

From the point of view of the players, who were with him almost everyday, having to listen to his delusions of worldclassness, I am not surprised they played better for BMcD from day one.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jul 2010 09:53

Ideal Oh yeah, and the following is in the news:
"So far training has been different class,'' explained Tate. "It's been really enjoyable and a lot different to last season.

"Everything is a lot shorter and sharper with more football fitness, which is what we need.

So, he's cut down fitness in favour of more ballplay, and sessions are shorter. Does this sound familiar?

I look forward to Swansea being unfit and rooted to the foot of the table.

Excluding the word 'fitness' from your bolding makes your point a bit weak !

Football players need to be football fit. They don;t need to be body builder fit, or marathon runner fit. Making the fitness relevant to football seems pretty sensible.

The alleged issue here was they reduced the fitness work and focused on the technical side too much. You need to be fit to play football !

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 23 Jul 2010 10:04

Sun Tzu
Ideal Oh yeah, and the following is in the news:
"So far training has been different class,'' explained Tate. "It's been really enjoyable and a lot different to last season.

"Everything is a lot shorter and sharper with more football fitness, which is what we need.

So, he's cut down fitness in favour of more ballplay, and sessions are shorter. Does this sound familiar?

I look forward to Swansea being unfit and rooted to the foot of the table.

Excluding the word 'fitness' from your bolding makes your point a bit weak !

Football players need to be football fit. They don;t need to be body builder fit, or marathon runner fit. Making the fitness relevant to football seems pretty sensible.

The alleged issue here was they reduced the fitness work and focused on the technical side too much. You need to be fit to play football !

I see both your points!

Yes hes not saying Swans have cut down on fitness, but reading between the lines (or just reading th bold!) "football fitness" does imply less fitness.

Certainly BR is implementing his tried but not trusted methods in an identical manner.

When we play them lets defend deep for 45 mins then stick on 5 forwards :-)

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 23 Jul 2010 10:44

Reading chronicle

The 37-year-old Northern Irishman and former Watford boss said: "Twelve months ago I was supposedly the up-and-coming top young British manager. Nothing has changed for me in that sense.

"Reading was a very short period of my career. I have learnt from the experience and it will make me a better manager for Swansea

I'm not arrogant enough to think there will never be a question mark over me.

"But I became a manager of a Championship club at 35 and I did that because I was pretty good at it."

Rodgers spent 10 years with Reading before joining Chelsea's backroom staff.

A stint at Watford, when he kept them up, was then followed by a return to Berkshire.

"When it comes to my spell at Reading, I suppose my heart took me back to a club and a place I knew well," he explained.

"But it was probably the wrong time to do what I was looking to do there.

"People will have seen here at Swansea that it takes longer to coach players to win games by playing good football.

"It takes longer than six months, especially if that isn't how the club have played before.

"I know, having spoken to Roberto, there were times in the early stages here when it didn't work. It took time.

"So, for me, 21 games wasn't long enough. The sad thing for me is that we were starting to turn the corner when I left

what a load of tosh most arrogant man in football

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 23 Jul 2010 12:43

I agree with everything BR said to be honest.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 23 Jul 2010 13:23

yappy
MmmMonsterMunch "Starting to turn the corner?" Does he mean the corner that leads to League 1 then?! That is the shittest football I have seen at the Mad Stad for quite some time & I hope never to have to see it again. Sideways passing with no cutting edge or wingplay whatsoever. If that is total football you can keep it.

Agreed 100%. In his last two games we were torn apart by Palace at home, followed by a spineless draw with Scunthorpe, also at home. What evidence is there that we were turning a corner? We had won only one game at home in his entire spell! Even in the first game after he'd left, I thought we looked twice the side.

Look at the first 7 games, the second 7 games, and the third 7 games. See if you can spot any difference.

"Spineless draw with Scunthorpe" - we battered them but golden boy Sigurdsson couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. Should've won 4-0.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 23 Jul 2010 13:51

You can slice and dice the figures many ways

seven, seven, seven would give us 6 points, 4 points then 11 points and kind of looks good, but the last two games were a defeat and a draw

My stats say

He achieved 21 points over 21 games, an average of a point a game

His first 10 games compared with next 11 gives 10 points for the first 10 games and 11 points for the second 11 games, both of which were an average of a point a game

his last 4 games were LWLD, again an average of a point a game

So I don't see this improvement, I see a WDW blip around game 14

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 23 Jul 2010 14:15

Although I agree Rodgers probably did his best and there's no reason to hate the bloke, the facts are he was probably going to take us down. It's total delusion to think we're about to turn the corner, infact I seem to remember him saying that constantly through his 21 games in charge. Christ the bloke was still talking about making the play-offs weeks before he was sacked.

21 games may not be long enough, but in that time he very rarely played Jay Tabb and Matt Mills, plus he signed Shaun Cummings, so for me that's 3 huge mangerial mistakes. Added to that there was the obsurd courting of Tommy Smith.

Positives were the signings of Bertrand, McAnuff and Rasiak.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 23 Jul 2010 14:19

yappy

Bristol City away, were you there? Unorganised defence gave away a soft (but debatable) penalty and we were lucky to claw it back in the dying seconds to scrape a draw

Swansea at home wasn't much better and as for Plymouth away....

...that said, it's all fairly irrelevant now as McDermonti has done a superb job with us (THUS FAR and long may it continue)

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 23 Jul 2010 15:01

Big Foot
yappy

Bristol City away, were you there? Unorganised defence gave away a soft (but debatable) penalty and we were lucky to claw it back in the dying seconds to scrape a draw

...that said, it's all fairly irrelevant now as McDermonti has done a superb job with us (THUS FAR and long may it continue)

As those were the 3 games immediately after Rodgers left, it would further suggest that we had not turned the corner as you wouldn't expect the incoming manager to be able to fix all the problems immediately.

yappy

by yappy » 23 Jul 2010 15:20

Look at the first 7 games, the second 7 games, and the third 7 games. See if you can spot any difference.

"Spineless draw with Scunthorpe" - we battered them but golden boy Sigurdsson couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. Should've won 4-0.

The way I see it 1 point in two home games against Scunthorpe and Crystal Palace was not 'turning a corner.' You say we 'should have' won 4-0, but isn't that the point? How many games under Rodgers did we create more than enough chances but had no cutting edge? You can point out these stats, but as weybridgewanderer has shown, there are plenty of stats to suggest otherwise.

As for the Bristol City game, yes I was there, and I think we were incredibly unlucky not to have done more there. We showed alot more grit and determination in that game than we had previously. How many games did we knick a late equaliser under Rodgers? I was at University in Bristol at the time, and my Bristol City mates thought we battered them, and they were very fortunate with the penalty. You can talk about a shaky defence, but remember this was Rodgers defence, once McDermott was able to bring in his own players we looked a completely different side.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 23 Jul 2010 15:38

WoodleyRoyal "People will have seen here at Swansea that it takes longer to coach players to win games by playing good football.

"It takes longer than six months, especially if that isn't how the club have played before.

How long did it take BMcD to get the team playing good football? Some of the stuff we played in the second half of the season was simply sublime. The demolitions of Peterbrough, Derby and Preston spring to mind as well as that amazing first 45 minutes against Villa. palace away was also a brilliant performance let alone the two games against the bin dippers. I am sure that there will be other Nobbers who can point to other excellent performances in the second half of the season.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 23 Jul 2010 18:28

yappy ' You say we 'should have' won 4-0, but isn't that the point? How many games under Rodgers did we create more than enough chances but had no cutting edge?

Is that not the players' fault rather than the manager's? We drew with Scunthorpe because our players couldn't put the ball in the back of the net. It wasn't "insipid", it was dreadful finishing.

yappy

by yappy » 24 Jul 2010 11:28

Maguire
yappy ' You say we 'should have' won 4-0, but isn't that the point? How many games under Rodgers did we create more than enough chances but had no cutting edge?

Is that not the players' fault rather than the manager's? We drew with Scunthorpe because our players couldn't put the ball in the back of the net. It wasn't "insipid", it was dreadful finishing.

But then McDermott got those same players firing in goals from all cylinders. Scunthorpe wasn't exactly a one-off, Leicester at home was one of the most infuriating games I've ever seen us play. Whether it was a case of doing something different in training, or motivation, I don't know. I'm not saying its entirely the managers fault, but you do have the ask the question why these players couldn't hit a barn door under Rodgers, yet scored for fun under McDermott.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jul 2010 12:02

One off poor performance from players is either from the manager getting his tactics totally wrong for a game or the players having an off day.

Frequent poor performances from the players is either the manager being incapable of doing the very basics of his job or the players simply not being good enough. If those same players then put in vastly improved performances under a different manager it pretty much spells out to all but the most blinkered or stupid exactly where the problem was.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 24 Jul 2010 14:34

Ian Royal One off poor performance from players is either from the manager getting his tactics totally wrong for a game or the players having an off day.

Frequent poor performances from the players is either the manager being incapable of doing the very basics of his job or the players simply not being good enough. If those same players then put in vastly improved performances under a different manager it pretty much spells out to all but the most blinkered or stupid exactly where the problem was.

You don't understand the difference between playing poorly and creating nothing and being poor in front of goal, or anything much about the game to be fair. McDermott's done very well getting players like Kebe to play, but let's not forget Rodgers' predecessor still couldn't get anything out of him and to call most of our performances insipid under Rodgers is utter toss - we played some excellent football at times, but were missing the investment needed up top and were robbed of Noel Hunt.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 24 Jul 2010 14:40

Royalee
Ian Royal One off poor performance from players is either from the manager getting his tactics totally wrong for a game or the players having an off day.

You don't understand the difference between playing poorly and creating nothing and being poor in front of goal, or anything much about the game to be fair. McDermott's done very well getting players like Kebe to play, but let's not forget Rodgers' predecessor still couldn't get anything out of him and to call most of our performances insipid under Rodgers is utter toss - we played some excellent football at times, but were missing the investment needed up top and were robbed of Noel Hunt.

Remind me how much Rodgers spent on strikers?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 24 Jul 2010 14:57

Couple of hundred grand on Rasiak who was top scorer when he was sacked.

437 posts