Opposition fans back from the game

4486 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by CountryRoyal » 09 Aug 2023 00:09

Twatter Unpopular opinion- Hutch and Cooper are too slow and not good enough in posession #Millwall

Well yeah, that’s why we gave him to you.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Aug 2023 09:27

What's pissed me off most about last night's defeat is why didn't Reading play that team on Saturday!!, their loss to Peterboro cost me 234 quid!!

when you look at the team sheets posted up an hour before kick off and dont recognize a single Reading player from when we last played them in March this should have have been the closest thing to getting a bye into the next round

I've just watched a horror show the like of which I can only remember a couple of times in my 50 odd years of games.

Looking at our line up and the subs used that was 95% of our full strength squad

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 09 Aug 2023 18:37

MouldyRoyal
Can’t believe a Wi-Fi password scored two against us

Possibly funniest line ever on HobNob :lol: :lol: :lol:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Aug 2023 18:42

Gunny Fishcake
MouldyRoyal
Can’t believe a Wi-Fi password scored two against us

Someone needs to put a chant together for him using that

Either that or something similar about a Scrabble score

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 Aug 2023 19:12

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Aug 2023 19:26

Franchise FC
Gunny Fishcake
MouldyRoyal

He shoots from the left
He shoots from the right
Our WiFi password
Will score goals all night

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Aug 2023 19:38

Franchise FC
Gunny Fishcake
MouldyRoyal

Give me an E…..

Oh.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Aug 2023 20:46

CountryRoyal
Franchise FC
Gunny Fishcake

Give me an E…..

Oh.

Ehibhatiomhan you'll never sing that
Ehibhatiomhan you'll never sing that

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Aug 2023 08:50

CountryRoyal
Franchise FC
Gunny Fishcake

Give me an E…..

Oh.

It’s E … H
:wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Aug 2023 09:26

Franchise FC
CountryRoyal
Franchise FC Someone needs to put a chant together for him using that

Give me an E…..

Oh.

It’s E … H
:wink:

Give me an..
E
H
I
B
A
T
I
O
M
H
A
N

Now put them together and what have you got?

193 + two triple word scores

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 10 Aug 2023 10:00

Dirk Gently
Stranded
Dirk Gently
'Greed. And that's the legacy of not having a long-term tradition of mass-support like many other clubs do - and especially those in traditionally industrial areas. All the fancy marketing in the world won't change that.

Quite - tradition of getting mass-support generally comes from a club having been successful 60-100 years ago and being in a town that people didn't really move from - supporting then got handed down from generation to generation.

With us, Reading was a relatively small market town with a club that was just happy existing in the lower reaches of football, with little to no sustained periods of success - we were in Divison 3 (S) or D3 from 1931/32 through to 70/71 and only then left the division through the trapdoor, spending all but 1 year of the rest of the 70s in the 4th division - so really no chance for the club to build up a bigger fanbase both locally and from further afield as clubs who were more successful then (even if less so now) managed to build.

Fanbases can still be built through prolonged success but as that wasn't achieved at the time of our grandfathers or great-grandfathers, any club building a fanbase this century will be seen as plastic - and with so much more option in terms of free time and access to football, these newer fanbases are also much more fragile than those built many decades ago (and even these can be fragile).

Just to add to this, all of the surveys about why people support a club or what made them first come to matches consistently show that for about 70% of people it's related to (mostly) family or (to a lesser extent) friends - "my dad took me", "we've always gone together", "it was my grandad's team" or something along those lines.

You can't replicate that without having large-scale support for at least a generation, and really a lot longer - and this is the sort of core-support that sticks to a club regardless of how they're doing or playing. For everyone else coming to the football is a leisure activity - a choice at the time, competing against lots of other potential things they could do, so a lot less "sticky" and dependable.

I wonder how much our core support changed / grew during the Coppell / McDermot years of sustained, albeit by our own standards, success. And whether we're currently riding on that fan base?

My personal fanship of Reading is because its the family home. Even though I never lived here. Both parents are born and raised Reading. So there was never any real option. Dad took me and the rest is history.

I started going just as Gilkes was coming through, and Parkinson and Caskey days. And have loved it ever since. I love our history with Robin Friday and the Simod Cup and reaching the FA quarters and producing a lot of incredible talent and doing it "the Reading way"

But most of that history is the past 40 years....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Aug 2023 10:17

skipper
Dirk Gently
Stranded
Quite - tradition of getting mass-support generally comes from a club having been successful 60-100 years ago and being in a town that people didn't really move from - supporting then got handed down from generation to generation.

With us, Reading was a relatively small market town with a club that was just happy existing in the lower reaches of football, with little to no sustained periods of success - we were in Divison 3 (S) or D3 from 1931/32 through to 70/71 and only then left the division through the trapdoor, spending all but 1 year of the rest of the 70s in the 4th division - so really no chance for the club to build up a bigger fanbase both locally and from further afield as clubs who were more successful then (even if less so now) managed to build.

Fanbases can still be built through prolonged success but as that wasn't achieved at the time of our grandfathers or great-grandfathers, any club building a fanbase this century will be seen as plastic - and with so much more option in terms of free time and access to football, these newer fanbases are also much more fragile than those built many decades ago (and even these can be fragile).

Just to add to this, all of the surveys about why people support a club or what made them first come to matches consistently show that for about 70% of people it's related to (mostly) family or (to a lesser extent) friends - "my dad took me", "we've always gone together", "it was my grandad's team" or something along those lines.

You can't replicate that without having large-scale support for at least a generation, and really a lot longer - and this is the sort of core-support that sticks to a club regardless of how they're doing or playing. For everyone else coming to the football is a leisure activity - a choice at the time, competing against lots of other potential things they could do, so a lot less "sticky" and dependable.

I wonder how much our core support changed / grew during the Coppell / McDermot years of sustained, albeit by our own standards, success. And whether we're currently riding on that fan base?

My personal fanship of Reading is because its the family home. Even though I never lived here. Both parents are born and raised Reading. So there was never any real option. Dad took me and the rest is history.

I started going just as Gilkes was coming through, and Parkinson and Caskey days. And have loved it ever since. I love our history with Robin Friday and the Simod Cup and reaching the FA quarters and producing a lot of incredible talent and doing it "the Reading way"

It definitely has got bigger as a result of that period and a lot of the teenagers through to late 20s now will be going as they either first went then or their parents went and dragged them a long a few years later - if we don't get success again in a realtively short period of time then the numbers will likely dwindle esp if people move on - for example, my son is turning in to a big football fan but due to him being born here, his club is Eintracht Frankfurt and whilst he knows who Reading are and wants them to do well for Daddy, he'll never be a fan.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Aug 2023 11:39

Stranded
skipper
Dirk Gently

It definitely has got bigger as a result of that period and a lot of the teenagers through to late 20s now will be going as they either first went then or their parents went and dragged them a long a few years later - if we don't get success again in a realtively short period of time then the numbers will likely dwindle esp if people move on - for example, my son is turning in to a big football fan but due to him being born here, his club is Eintracht Frankfurt and whilst he knows who Reading are and wants them to do well for Daddy, he'll never be a fan.

Plastic

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Aug 2023 12:13

leon
Stranded
skipper

Plastic

Fantastic.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Aug 2023 12:27

Stranded
skipper
Dirk Gently

Our granddaughter was born and lives in the USA. She will be a Reading fan, her mum will make sure of that (junior kit on its way out to the States as soon as Fanatics can be arsed to deliver it to me here), although she will probably be allowed an MLS team too.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Aug 2023 12:59

RoyalBlue
Stranded
skipper

Our granddaughter was born and lives in the USA. She will be a Reading fan, her mum will make sure of that (junior kit on its way out to the States as soon as Fanatics can be arsed to deliver it to me here), although she will probably be allowed an MLS team too.

Him being an Eintracht fan makes life easier as well, what with the wife's side of the family being Stoke fans.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Aug 2023 10:15

Just had a quick look on the Reading message board and they are genuinely saying it’s the best they have played in years. Quick and hungry and I would agree with that. A brighter start to the second half from us though.

That said, Reading look decent, very composed on the ball. I can see them pushing for the playoffs.

Reading play some nice football mind, if they can get a bit of penetration up front they'll be a match for anyone in this league. That we had to score for them shows that we're not the only ones struggling up top.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Aug 2023 12:27

paultheroyal
Just had a quick look on the Reading message board and they are genuinely saying it’s the best they have played in years. Quick and hungry and I would agree with that. A brighter start to the second half from us though.

That said, Reading look decent, very composed on the ball. I can see them pushing for the playoffs.

Reading play some nice football mind, if they can get a bit of penetration up front they'll be a match for anyone in this league. That we had to score for them shows that we're not the only ones struggling up top.

That makes a nice change to "they were shit, but we were shitter".

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 16 Aug 2023 14:23

Stranded
RoyalBlue
Stranded

Him being an Eintracht fan makes life easier as well, what with the wife's side of the family being Stoke fans.

Fair play to him. Eintracht are a massive club and what’s more they have a solidly anti fascist fan base and scene, which isn’t something to be scoffed at in Germany, especially at the bigger clubs.

They have the honour of being insulted as Jews by Dynamo Dresden fans.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Aug 2023 19:12

Jeez, Stevenage fans are a bunch of Dingles.

Apparently we're diving cheats and had the ref in or pocket and we think they're local rivals whereas they think we're Mickey Mouse . I think they're missing Barnet and Hitchin Town.

I don't think I've ever considered Stevenage as anything.

4486 posts