Out of Contract 2022

1018 posts
Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Out of Contract 2022

by Coppells Lost Coat » 31 May 2022 13:43

Hendo
Coppells Lost Coat We went through 3 1st team keepers (plus Hein) last season all highly thought of at the time they started for us all of them had clangers...... that points me to a different issue in my eyes.
If he is being told he isn't first choice and needs to leave to find that then fair enough as he clearly wants to be a number 1.
If he is shown the door because they think he not good enough then that leaves a bitter taste.

Surely, for a keeper, being told you're not first choice is the same as being told you're not good enough, especially when you're approaching mid-20s with the experience that Southwood has?

Not exactly, you can have 2 keepers fighting it out to be number 1. I think we have got a good history of having 2 very good keepers on the books at the same time.
But if the club are saying there is no chance he is going to be number 1 then he should go, which is disappointing. We showed faith in him to replace Rafa and he looked good, then he had a spell where he looked shakey (being polite) and we threw him in the bin while his confidence is shot to bits. While the team around him kept there places even though week in week out they were performing worse IMO.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 May 2022 13:55

Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99
John Smith I still think he's been treated very harshly - Hein was possibly worse, the defence in front of him conceded the most goals in the entire football league in his first year as a first team pro. I can definitely see this one developing into a Jake Cooper situation in a couple of years.

I would be open to selling any of our squad, though, if a fee is involved.

Maybe a bit of sentiment behind it with him being an academy prospect and graduate, but other than half a dozen games where Rafael lost his place, he hasn't been all that impressive overall. Decent enough, maybe deserved another chance but a move elsewhere may be better for all concerned.

Hopefully a buy back option prevents it from being a Jake Cooper situation and we can get a good deal for him wherever he moves.

Thought he looked very solid until the Derby game. That missed cross destroyed his confidence and it was all down hill from there.

It was the Hull and Derby games for me. Threw one in the net to drop 2 points v Hull and then got found out on the crosses v Derby.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 31 May 2022 14:11

Lower West
Next season there'll be no room for passengers. Southwood as good as he is has reached a level. If he had grown a few inches taller would be a different matter altogether.

But his replacements and Rafa showed to be no better and we continued to have gk handling issues which highlights that the issue wasn't dealt with by replacing the keeper.
I agree no space for passengers but Southwood was most probably the most committed to the club I have seen in recent years. Took multiple knocks to the face and hits for the team and must of been a bit of inspiration for some players. Need more players like that next season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 May 2022 14:22

Hendo
Coppells Lost Coat We went through 3 1st team keepers (plus Hein) last season all highly thought of at the time they started for us all of them had clangers...... that points me to a different issue in my eyes.
If he is being told he isn't first choice and needs to leave to find that then fair enough as he clearly wants to be a number 1.
If he is shown the door because they think he not good enough then that leaves a bitter taste.

Surely, for a keeper, being told you're not first choice is the same as being told you're not good enough, especially when you're approaching mid-20s with the experience that Southwood has?

Not necessarily, Reading just can’t afford to have a rookie keeper at the moment. The club really need experience and a keeper who can communicate, organise and command the box right from the off, he could stay and be a no2 again but not sure that’d be the best for him so think the club have made a decision that should help the player more in the long run and also might bring a little bit of money in (esp. if there’s a decent sell on clause).

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2022 14:42

Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99
John Smith I still think he's been treated very harshly - Hein was possibly worse, the defence in front of him conceded the most goals in the entire football league in his first year as a first team pro. I can definitely see this one developing into a Jake Cooper situation in a couple of years.

I would be open to selling any of our squad, though, if a fee is involved.

Maybe a bit of sentiment behind it with him being an academy prospect and graduate, but other than half a dozen games where Rafael lost his place, he hasn't been all that impressive overall. Decent enough, maybe deserved another chance but a move elsewhere may be better for all concerned.

Hopefully a buy back option prevents it from being a Jake Cooper situation and we can get a good deal for him wherever he moves.

Thought he looked very solid until the Derby game. That missed cross destroyed his confidence and it was all down hill from there.

It depends on what metrics are used to judge a goalkeeper. We all naturally use mistakes as tangible evidence to judge how good, or not good, a goalkeeper is, whereas our coaching staff will be using expected shots, positioning techniques etc that contribute to his general goalkeeping ability as an indication as to how good he is.

He wasn't fancied by 2 managers, he only got his chance because of Rafael's injury but did well when given, then it all started to fall backwards after it became apparent he earned the number 1 spot. Again, some sentiment to move on an academy graduate who was decent for us, but a move may be best for all parties.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 31 May 2022 15:02

I absolutely believe that his downturn in form is entirely down to the mistake against Derby, disastrous as it was.

Up to that point he’d seemed to be perfectly adequate.

Without that mistake the whole picture could/would have been significantly different fir LS and the club in general

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 May 2022 15:34

He is about to enter the last year of his deal, so I guess part of this boils down to are we going to offer him a new deal and would he accept. If the answer to either of those questions is no, then best to let him leave now and save his wage etc.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 May 2022 18:01

Stranded
John Smith
Pepe the Horseman Not out of contract, but Southwood has apparently been told to find a new club.

He's been treated appallingly since the turn of the year.

Maybe an opportunity at Wycombe, given David Stockdale's age/performance in the playoff final?

He was just not rated as good enough to be #1. Last thing VP did was replace him with Hein. Hein gets injured and instead of backing Southwood, Ince signs another keeper.

He's not quite Champ standard at the mo, may well be in a couple of years but probably needs a move to a decent L1 club.

I think he is just about there. But not if continually and horribly exposed.

If he's not going to be first choice, and that's certainly a risk for us, it's best for him in particular and us for him to move on.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing higher in the table than us in 2 - 3 seasons though.

With Andresson and CBC we still have the junior back up covered. Got to find a good 1st choice though, and our recent record signing keepers is poor, albeit mostly young loanees.

Virginia - dire
Hein - ok ish
Nyland - poor

Even going back further it's not great.

Cabral (first season)
Martinez
Al Habsi

Vs

Bond
Walker
Jaakkola
Mannone

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 May 2022 19:18

The problem with Southwood leaving is that irs another hole to fill.
I can’t recall any pre season where we had so few under contract.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 31 May 2022 20:09

YorkshireRoyal99 It depends on what metrics are used to judge a goalkeeper. We all naturally use mistakes as tangible evidence to judge how good, or not good, a goalkeeper is, whereas our coaching staff will be using expected shots, positioning techniques etc that contribute to his general goalkeeping ability as an indication as to how good he is.

He wasn't fancied by 2 managers, he only got his chance because of Rafael's injury but did well when given, then it all started to fall backwards after it became apparent he earned the number 1 spot. Again, some sentiment to move on an academy graduate who was decent for us, but a move may be best for all parties.

You definitely can't rely on stats in isolation. Simon Shepperd was, after all, a very good shot-stopper.

If Southwood goes, I'd see that as a failing on the part of our coaching staff. This was his first run in the team, and he did look assured for quite a while. He certainly has the makings of a decent keeper.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 May 2022 20:29

Zip The problem with Southwood leaving is that irs another hole to fill.

Think it's clear Ince didn't see him as first choice, in which case it's more a case of we had an overabundence of 2nd choice options and needed a new keeper anyway.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 May 2022 20:32

Snowflake Royal

Think it's clear Ince didn't see him as first choice, in which case it's more a case of we had an overabundence of 2nd choice options and needed a new keeper anyway.

Assuming Ince considers either CBC or Andresson good enough as back up.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 May 2022 20:34

tmesis
YorkshireRoyal99 It depends on what metrics are used to judge a goalkeeper. We all naturally use mistakes as tangible evidence to judge how good, or not good, a goalkeeper is, whereas our coaching staff will be using expected shots, positioning techniques etc that contribute to his general goalkeeping ability as an indication as to how good he is.

You definitely can't rely on stats in isolation. Simon Shepperd was, after all, a very good shot-stopper.

If Southwood goes, I'd see that as a failing on the part of our coaching staff. This was his first run in the team, and he did look assured for quite a while. He certainly has the makings of a decent keeper.

Yep he started off very well in goal. Then made a couple of errors which unfortunately proved costly. I like him and think he is capable of playing regularly at this level.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2022 08:31

Zip
Snowflake Royal

Assuming Ince considers either CBC or Andresson good enough as back up.

I would say our situation this summer means he'll have to and at least Andresson has 1st team experience.

We have 25 permitted players allowable in the squad - Southwood would be one - if we aren't going to play him or extend him then it makese sense for all parties to move on now, even on a free. We will definitely be signing a 1st choice keeper and wouldn't surprise me if one gets announced very shortly - keepers don't tend to get injured too often but if they do, if we don't have Southwood at the club we would have dispensation to sign one on an emergency loan - so it is one area where you can take a slight risk and have a promising back-up knowing you have that safety net.

It would appear to be a gamble we are taking i.e. experienced or highly rated #1 with young back up (and use emergency loan if needed) v Experienced and Southwood.

Give us more space to have "decent" outfield options.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jun 2022 08:39

Certainly how far he dropped after the hull and Derby clangers was a worry. Don’t think the coaches fancied him really

Shame as would have been a nice story for him to have become number 1 but sadly think this might be the right call

I think he’s just a bit too small as well. Good luck to him though, has the raw ability to be a very good keeper

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 Jun 2022 08:43

He will go on to have a decent career as a pro, not everyone can play Premier League football, especially goalkeepers. There is absolutely no shame in playing League 1 or 2 football and if anything it will give Southwood the chance to stand out.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jun 2022 09:01

Any news on any contracts at all for these players out of contract? You'd imagine that in the next week or so the one's who want to sign would be signing on the dotted line.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 01 Jun 2022 09:02

All valid points and could be a storm in a tea cup if we sign a recognised stopper soon. But until we do, its going to look silly to be letting him go.
Best thing for Luke is to get back between the sticks.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2022 09:03

NathStPaul He will go on to have a decent career as a pro, not everyone can play Premier League football, especially goalkeepers. There is absolutely no shame in playing League 1 or 2 football and if anything it will give Southwood the chance to stand out.

Not at all - the rumours that Accrington and Swindon are interested probably shows that mid-table L1 or top L2 is probably is level at the moment - it's still young in goalie terms so could easily work his way back up with a few years experience in the tank.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jun 2022 09:12

Providing we can get a decent deal for him, that is the important thing. I'm not sure what price we would be looking for, maybe something around £500k-ish? Likely less given the reported clubs interested, but if we can a decent sell on % or buy back price on him, that would represent a good deal.

1018 posts