It's always been sh*t. It's always been sh*****t.....

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: It's always been sh*t. It's always been sh*****t.....

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2012 16:38

given up going after these, but shall give it another go on Sat

poor effort at giving up

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 11 Jan 2012 16:39

I think i recall correctly that Caskey made his debut v Watford and hit the bar with a free kick in the 1st half. It must have been garbage as i do not recall the result, must have been 1995 but i'm not 100% on that.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2012 16:42

i remember that game

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Jan 2012 17:06

I have a vague collection of a game against them at Vicarage Road quite a while back. IIRC it was right near the end of the season and little left to play for. We therefore played a load of the real youngsters including Peter Castle.

Perhaps time has really b*ggered up my memory but I thought these youngsters produced a dazzling display of passing football and good wing play which tore Watford apart and we ended up winning 4-1?

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 11 Jan 2012 17:41

Warfield North Stand ( at Uni, yes Luton. I failed my A Levels!!)....disatation

they'd save so much money shutting those dumps down and let bright kids into good ones for free

Christof

by Christof » 11 Jan 2012 17:43

RoyalBlue I have a vague collection of a game against them at Vicarage Road quite a while back. IIRC it was right near the end of the season and little left to play for. We therefore played a load of the real youngsters including Peter Castle.

Perhaps time has really b*ggered up my memory but I thought these youngsters produced a dazzling display of passing football and good wing play which tore Watford apart and we ended up winning 4-1?

That was the 3-0 game, with Cureton getting the 3rd with an exquisite volley. Sadly, it's been downhill ever since in those games...

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 11 Jan 2012 17:44

RoyalBlue I have a vague collection of a game against them at Vicarage Road quite a while back. IIRC it was right near the end of the season and little left to play for. We therefore played a load of the real youngsters including Peter Castle.

Pretty sure we won 2/3-0 the youngsters coming on and not really doing much.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 11 Jan 2012 18:31

dobcheck I think i recall correctly that Caskey made his debut v Watford and hit the bar with a free kick in the 1st half. It must have been garbage as i do not recall the result, must have been 1995 but i'm not 100% on that.

Ill give you 1 guess what the score was.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 11 Jan 2012 18:34

Wasn't this one of those rare and beautiful moments when Tony Rougier scored?

Under-rated great Royals moments come from Tony Rougier. The Oxford "how are we still getting wet, we're in row BB" comeback at Mad Stad and Gillingham Away, last 10 minute winner. Love the Rouge.

Warfield North Stand

by Warfield North Stand » 11 Jan 2012 18:37

Wax Jacket
Warfield North Stand ( at Uni, yes Luton. I failed my A Levels!!)....disatation

they'd save so much money shutting those dumps down and let bright kids into good ones for free

It was 17 years ago. Get over it!! Luckily I don't have to have A class spelling to earn a very good living thanks..

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2012 20:45

4-0 against Rodger's Watford was pretty decent. But that's it as far as my experience goes.

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 11 Jan 2012 21:14

floyd__streete Reading vs Watford
It's always been sh*t

Can anyone remember many really decent games with a team we seem to play all the time? Can recall a 4-1 tonking at EP, but every time I have seen us play at Vicarage Road the standard of football has always been absolute pigswill; even a 2-2 draw from 2-0 down was garbage because McGhee played a daft 3-5-2 formation which our players found to be a totally alien concept. Can recall a 3-0 win there too where we played a reserve team and Watford still managed to out-inept us. And how many 0-0s have these teams played in recent years?

Terrible choice for a telly game. Terrible game for us to have during this recent patch of poor performances. Two dull family-orientated clubs in the home counties. Release the Doberman.

My first game iirc..... http://www.royals.org/matdoc/040395.html

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 11 Jan 2012 21:31

0-1 would be the result of the season. Dead on 0-0 though.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Jan 2012 22:50

Svlad Cjelli And 3 years ago this week there was a decent 4-0 home win.

Worst result in the history of Reading FC

I had a tenner on Armstrong FG and 3-0 and was on for summat over 2,500 quid
when Leroy (I only score 2 goals a bleedin season) scored to make it 4-0 in the 94th minute)

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 12 Jan 2012 00:53

I think Watford must take the blame for most of this, they have almost always been a shit long ball team. How many half decent players have they had over the last fifty years? Stewart Scullion, Keith Eddy, Nigel Callaghan, John Barnes, Tommy Smith, Ashley Young? Or am I being too harsh? I suppose we could throw in Gunnarsson and MacAnuff.
This weekend will follow a familiar pattern. A few pints in Euston before catching the last available train to watch a dire load of shit.

Edit: Red face for Jeff cause I may have forgotten Tony Currie.
Last edited by Negative_Jeff on 12 Jan 2012 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 12 Jan 2012 03:21

I wonder if Watford fans dread this fixture as much as we do?

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 12 Jan 2012 08:49

The only time I've seen any goals at Vicarage Road, was when we beat them, I think was 3-0, must have been around 2003 :?:

Hence I will be watching this one from the comfort of the pub.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 12 Jan 2012 09:22

Memories surrounding the matches are more memorable. Taking a mate to the 'gym' and him rolling in drunk as a skunk at midnight after a 13 hour workout. Covered in ketchup after someone lobbed a kebab at him and a wife who left a radiant glow of anger directed at me. :oops:

Promotion season and christ what a standard lump ball game. Some bloke with webbed fingers suitable for the Mork salute. Police videoing a group of us out of sheer abject boredom.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Jan 2012 10:38

Negative_Jeff I think Watford must take the blame for most of this, they have almost always been a shit long ball team. How many half decent players have they had over the last fifty years? Stewart Scullion, Keith Eddy, Nigel Callaghan, John Barnes, Tommy Smith, Ashley Young? Or am I being too harsh? I suppose we could throw in Gunnarsson and MacAnuff.
This weekend will follow a familiar pattern. A few pints in Euston before catching the last available train to watch a dire load of shit.

Edit: Red face for Jeff cause I may have forgotten Tony Currie.

I actually recruited Stewart Scullion to work for us as a Driver/Handyman - his wife Rita already worked for us at another site. Great guy, really good sense of humour and significantly improved the standard of our Company five a side team! He'd be really chuffed that you named him first in your list.

BTW, I think Watford have produced some pretty good keepers over the years but that won't necessarily have improved/changed the style of play.

Couldn't we add a couple of our Simod Cup winning team to the list of half decent players - Les Taylor and Neil Smillie?

voyager1

by voyager1 » 12 Jan 2012 11:08

Reading v Watford always gives me pleasure for it was the first match I ever saw at the Madejski. Its where my Royals adventure begun and whilst its away at Watford rather than being at the Madejski this weekend, the meeting between these two teams has a personal significance for me.