Keep
61%
Fire
39%

Total votes: 243
yappy

Re: New Poll - Adkins

by yappy » 04 Jan 2014 20:38

I'm still backing Nige. Yes I go to games and have been a season ticket holder for over 10 years now. Yes the football isn't great at the moment, but it takes patience to create a good side. Nigel has been let down by Anton, and provided we're at least top half this season, I believe he deserves until the summer at the very least to try and create his own side.

Remember when Coppell took over we were pretty average for a couple of seasons before taking the league by storm! Even if Adkins was to go, who exactly is out there who could do a better job!?

I honestly blame Anton is to blame for what's happening at the moment, and I'm a little stunned that he's not getting more criticism here. He promised to improve the academy, improve the training ground, expand the stadium, talk of a 5 year plan & he's buggering off after a year and a half. Pathetic. I can only hope that the ownership issue gets sorted soon so Adkins can do some business this window.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jan 2014 20:50

Davezk
SHORT AND CURLY I reckon those that want him to stay don't go to games because they clearly have not sat through the dross I have seen this season.

Why does everyone in the media generally say a manager should get at least a whole season before they are sacked? Does nobody go to games?

Because they know something about football, realise success doesn't come overnight, particularly when trying to change a team's playing style and, in our case, see that despite all of the aforementioned we are still in the top half of the table.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 04 Jan 2014 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Jan 2014 20:51

Remember the Rodgers era, look where he is now and where we are. Roll this forward another 18 months and don't rule out Adkins manager of a Premier League team and us languishing in league 1.

I'd understand the calls for Adkins to go if we were bottom 6 but Christ sake we are a point off play offs.

He is trying to adopt a new style of play. We have had moments of promise but I also accept there has been some utter dross, similar to dross served up by McDermott in his last 6 months with us.

Adkins has been let down by the board. As fans we should get behind the manager in what he is trying to achieve here. Let him bring in his players and then judge him.

Careful what you wish for.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 04 Jan 2014 20:56

paultheroyal wrote: Careful what you wish for.

I wish for some attacking flowing football to be played instead of the dross Adkins game plans continue to dish up.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jan 2014 21:00

paultheroyal Remember the Rodgers era, look where he is now and where we are. Roll this forward another 18 months and don't rule out Adkins manager of a Premier League team and us languishing in league 1.

I'd understand the calls for Adkins to go if we were bottom 6 but Christ sake we are a point off play offs.

He is trying to adopt a new style of play. We have had moments of promise but I also accept there has been some utter dross, similar to dross served up by McDermott in his last 6 months with us.

Adkins has been let down by the board. As fans we should get behind the manager in what he is trying to achieve here. Let him bring in his players and then judge him.

Agree with this 100%.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Jan 2014 21:03

The Real Sandhurst Royal
paultheroyal wrote: Careful what you wish for.

I wish for some attacking flowing football to be played instead of the dross Adkins game plans continue to dish up.

I get that, really do and at times (limited I know) it's been there. Adkins has principles and is trying to stick with them using limited resources. He has been stitched up. Time to back him and support him. Don't want us to become a sacking club particularity whilst one point off the play offs!

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 04 Jan 2014 21:14

paultheroyal

Agreed, though I suppose this could equally apply to those who wished for Madejski to sell up a few years ago and those who wanted McDermott out last season?

As someone who wanted McDermott to stay but thinks Adkins was a good appointment, it's certainly interesting to see how people's views have changed over the past 12 months. Those who were impatient last season and accusing the management of letting down the players now seem to be accusing others of perpetuating these views this year and vice versa.

There would just be two more quick points I would make:

1. I only have a little sympathy for Adkins regarding the ownership issues. Yes he might not have had the funds he expected but he's been able to bring in 5 players (including 2 on loan) which Reading managers haven't always had. Ultimately my view is sometimes these things happen and you've just to got to get on with whatever circumstances you have. McDermott always seemed pragmatic enough to be able to make this adjustment over the course of a season.

2. Following on from this, I'm cautious about having excessive faith in the long-term. If the ownership isn't sorted (and it might well be sorted soon) then are things going to get better, or are we just going to lose our best players each transfer window and have to replace them with inferior quality? Some say McDermott got us promoted too quickly in 2012 but I'd argue it actually took us too long (given the ownership situation at the time.) Had we been able to go up in 2010 for instance I think we'd have had a much better chance of surviving with the likes of Gylfi, Long and possibly we could have kept Bertrand too. And for those who say McDermott's teams played poor football I'd say the first half of 2010 is the best I've seen us play in the last 6 years or so - this despite many saying in autumn 2009 that we needed 3 years.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 04 Jan 2014 21:17

I think the problem for many fans right now is that we''re just not creating anything like the number of chances that you'd expect a top half side to create. We're often finishing games strongly, but up until the 80th minute we're lucky to have seen a single shot on target atm. The excitement isn't there, the progress isn't apparent, and quite frankly it's all a bit shit. The fans would be a lot more patient if we were competing in games but just losing out because of the 'transition' element, but that's not the case. We're not making games a contest, we're not giving the fans something to get their teeth into. We don't turn up to desperately dissect performances in the hope of finding minor signs of progress, we turn up to experience the theatre of sport. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but it's the rollercoaster ride of a good football match which keeps people coming back. That's not what we''re getting right now, and while I still firmly believe Adkins should be given the opportunity to mix things up, I do understand those who are frustrated, and certainly wouldnt call them thick.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Jan 2014 21:20

yappy I'm still backing Nige. Yes I go to games and have been a season ticket holder for over 10 years now. Yes the football isn't great at the moment, but it takes patience to create a good side. Nigel has been let down by Anton, and provided we're at least top half this season, I believe he deserves until the summer at the very least to try and create his own side.

Remember when Coppell took over we were pretty average for a couple of seasons before taking the league by storm! Even if Adkins was to go, who exactly is out there who could do a better job!?

I honestly blame Anton is to blame for what's happening at the moment, and I'm a little stunned that he's not getting more criticism here. He promised to improve the academy, improve the training ground, expand the stadium, talk of a 5 year plan & he's buggering off after a year and a half. Pathetic. I can only hope that the ownership issue gets sorted soon so Adkins can do some business this window.
I kind've agree.

The man is a weasel

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 04 Jan 2014 21:29

paultheroyal Remember the Rodgers era, look where he is now and where we are. Roll this forward another 18 months and don't rule out Adkins manager of a Premier League team and us languishing in league 1.

+1

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 Jan 2014 21:32

Keep. Everyone can point fingers at this and that but there are problems in lots of areas at the club and they need to be sorted out. Injuries, ownership, players not producing and yes, tactics. The club needs to take a long look at itself at the top first and decide what they want. If they want premiership football stop buying bargain basement players and invest. Personally I think unless we do a Palace we should forget the premiership for at least another season or two. I dread going back up there, because as it stands it will just be humiliating again.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 04 Jan 2014 21:42

#atkinsout

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 04 Jan 2014 21:51

Spot on buddy

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Jan 2014 21:59

Indeed, and I agree

But his false accusation pointed at BBCB's sports editor today (TD)...indicates that the pressure is starting to tell on the fellah.

He is starting the "grasping at straws" routine....and in view of the hand that he has been dealt in recent weeks...I don't bloody blame him.

Chin up Nigel

KEEP

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 04 Jan 2014 22:29

Keep:

I have been a critic of Adkins but he obviously wants this to work and I believe that he has been let down by the powers that be. If the takeover happens and he gets to build his own side we can judge him then.

I agree with a chap who phoned BBCRB today, we have to stop living in the past and comparing him to previous managers.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jan 2014 22:53

AthleticoSpizz Indeed, and I agree

But his false accusation pointed at BBCB's sports editor today (TD)...indicates that the pressure is starting to tell on the fellah.

He is starting the "grasping at straws" routine....and in view of the hand that he has been dealt in recent weeks...I don't bloody blame him.

Chin up Nigel

KEEP

His accusations weren't that far off the mark. Although Dellor hasn't said that he wants Adkins out, his claims that he supports him are hypocritical to the extreme, given the way that he continuously criticises everything he and the management team do, particularly in relation to the ommission of his favourite player ALF (yeah, great call Tim, he set the world on fire today didn't he). Sadly there are too many sheep who latch onto Dellor's every word and turn against Adkins.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 04 Jan 2014 23:01

I get the feeling the writing is on the Wall for Adkins. Let down by the owners in terms of backing, lumberd by a poorly put together squad with many past their best or simply disinterested. Now facing flack from inpatient moronic supporters who he will never get on side simply as he is not Brian and the very same moronic supporters who were calling for us to evolve our style of play from BM's direct approach when the messiah was himself sacked.

With the question of ownership still not resolved, we enter the transfer window with potentially hands tied. He has had 1 transfer window In which to operate, and supporters think he can build a promotion winning team from that? I can see him walking away leaving us in a position where we will struggle to find a decent replacement and our season could nosedive. I ask all those detractors to be careful for what you wish for. Football is an emotive sport and It is easy to feel angry when we are not playing well, with easiest thing to do is vent your spleen at the manager, however change for the sake of change is unlikely to have the dramatic turnaround we want. IMO It would take ANY manager at least another 12 months and 2 more transfer windows to get us in a position again to challenge. Pardew, Sir Steve and to an extend BM were afforded the time, Adkins should be as well.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Jan 2014 23:01

WTF are you crapping on about now RB?

Nige basically accused Mr Dellor of broadcasting a campaign to get rid of him. Totally unjustified and given recent results...what is Dim Tim meant to do or say?

Congratulate the management and their team on yet another defeat?

The cracks are widening I'm afraid...and despite this, I am in the keep Adkins camp, as is Tim f11cking Dellor.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jan 2014 23:09

RoyalBlue
AthleticoSpizz Indeed, and I agree

Chin up Nigel

KEEP

His accusations weren't that far off the mark. Although Dellor hasn't said that he wants Adkins out, his claims that he supports him are hypocritical to the extreme, given the way that he continuously criticises everything he and the management team do, particularly in relation to the ommission of his favourite player ALF (yeah, great call Tim, he set the world on fire today didn't he). Sadly there are too many sheep who latch onto Dellor's every word and turn against Adkins.

Dreadful PR from Adkins - accusing local radio bloke of running a hate campaign against him, with absolutely no evidence except his own paranoia.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Jan 2014 23:13

paranoia

Thats the word that I was looking for.

178 posts