BFTG Millwall

160 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Millwall

by Sanguine » 17 Sep 2014 11:13

Sat right behind the dugouts for the first time, was amazed at just how much time the managers and coaches on each side spend berating the 4th official. I'm sure I saw him smirk at Holloway a few times, who lost his rag every 5 minutes.

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 17 Sep 2014 11:14

Will agree that Glen Murray didn't play as well as Saturday, but then Fulham were bad. Millwall did a job on him fairly & unfairly and we really didn't give him any support, he needs players to lay off to and flick to, in the second half in particular there was nobody. Still whatever way you look at it he is twice the player Pog is and will end up with twice the amount of goals, his movement is so much better, his running, his talking and he doesn't throw himself to the ground every time a centre half is near

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Sep 2014 11:15

Didnt really have any problems with Murrays performance, yeh the didn't score, but he was targeted and arguably that free'd up Cox to score his goals.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Sep 2014 11:18

Maguire
Snowball They equalised because Feds blundered. That's luck, isn't it?

That's is not "luck", that's a direct result of the ability of the opposition players.

Pardon? So if Feds rolls out a ball to an opposition player who taps it into an open net, that's the opposition's skill?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Sep 2014 11:20

TBM
Snowball I really don't get how Millwall were "unlucky"

Did they have goals disallowed, get a player sent off harshly, have good penalty appeals turned down, hit the woodwork four times?

They equalised because Feds blundered. That's luck, isn't it?

And they lost because

(a) Our strikers were more lethal

(b) Our defence mostly held firm, and when it was breached, Federici excelled as a shot-stopper. That's his job.

They were unlucky in the sense of the stats....for an away side thats dominating the game

What those stats tell me is we had the better strikers 3 on target, 3 goals, and the better keeper.

Their keeper saved ZERO on target shots whereas Federici saved NINE.

So Millwall bossed midfield but only scored one goal that wasn't a pure gift

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Sep 2014 11:22

Snowball
Maguire
Snowball They equalised because Feds blundered. That's luck, isn't it?

That's is not "luck", that's a direct result of the ability of the opposition players.

Pardon? So if Feds rolls out a ball to an opposition player who taps it into an open net, that's the opposition's skill?

It is down to a mistake from one player and the skill of the other player to take the chance presented to him. Not much to do with luck. In you example luck would be where Federici kicks the ball out and it hits another player and falls kindly to the striker to roll the ball into an empty net.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 17 Sep 2014 11:28

teignmouth hoops Will agree that Glen Murray didn't play as well as Saturday, but then Fulham were bad. Millwall did a job on him fairly & unfairly and we really didn't give him any support, he needs players to lay off to and flick to, in the second half in particular there was nobody. Still whatever way you look at it he is twice the player Pog is and will end up with twice the amount of goals, his movement is so much better, his running, his talking and he doesn't throw himself to the ground every time a centre half is near

Moron.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Sep 2014 11:28

SCIAG
Ian Royal SCIAG - I'm a big fan of Stacey, but Edwards has bags of pace which Stacey lacks. I think Edwards is doing a job for now and its a season too soon for Stacey.

It might be too soon for Stacey, but I don't think he lacks pace. He's made to look slow because he has a long stride and a relatively low stride rate, but I reckon he'd beat Fosu in a flat race.

Sorry, I don't see anything lightning quick about him in that clip. The defenders are beaten more by skill than pace there. He's not slow, he's just not particularly quick imo.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Sep 2014 11:29

My original point wa that nobody can cite any specific bad-luck incidents
whereas they got a bit lucky when Feds went AWOl for the fourth goal.

Our "luck" was, on the day, having ruthless strikers 3/3 and a keeper in excellent form who saved 9/10 shots

I never understand why a keeper playing way above par makes the other side unlucky.

That's what he's there for.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Sep 2014 11:32

Snowball
TBM
Snowball I really don't get how Millwall were "unlucky"

Did they have goals disallowed, get a player sent off harshly, have good penalty appeals turned down, hit the woodwork four times?

They equalised because Feds blundered. That's luck, isn't it?

And they lost because

(a) Our strikers were more lethal

(b) Our defence mostly held firm, and when it was breached, Federici excelled as a shot-stopper. That's his job.

They were unlucky in the sense of the stats....for an away side thats dominating the game

What those stats tell me is we had the better strikers 3 on target, 3 goals, and the better keeper.

Their keeper saved ZERO on target shots whereas Federici saved NINE.

So Millwall bossed midfield but only scored one goal that wasn't a pure gift

1 penalty, 1 corner and 1 very good strike

I wouldn't say that meant we had the better strikers....i agree we had the better keeper though, but only cos their keeper didn't have to make a save

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 17 Sep 2014 11:35

I'd say that if we score 3 goals, that's 3 saves he had to make, but didn't.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 Sep 2014 11:37

What happened with Obita in the corner by South/West stand? I assume he took a weak fall as he got up when ref came over, and no punishment to their player?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Sep 2014 11:40

Goal one was from 25-30 yards and the Millwall keeper was poorly positioned. ERROR

Goal 2 was a pen, but Blackman normally does this saunter up and chip after keeper has moved. Should he not stand still.

And he's not at least partially at fault for goal 3?

Compare that to feds who had a stormer as a shot-stopper!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Sep 2014 11:49

Snowball Goal one was from 25-30 yards and the Millwall keeper was poorly positioned. ERROR

Goal 2 was a pen, but Blackman normally does this saunter up and chip after keeper has moved. Should he not stand still.

And he's not at least partially at fault for goal 3?

Compare that to feds who had a stormer as a shot-stopper!

LOL really?

Goal 1 - i agree - he should have saved that
Goal 2 - how many penaltys do you see saved compared to scored in football, how you blame the keeper for that i don't know
Goal 3 - from a yard out its near on impossible to save the shot

Feds should have saved their 1st goal and shouldn't have flapped at their 2nd - he made up for it with the saves he made but if they only had 2 shots on target all game, then we would be slating how bad Feds was last night......fact is, he kept us in the game and Millwall were unlucky that he did.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Sep 2014 11:49

On the good teams win when they play poorly front, can I just add that good teams also don't play poorly regularly. If you find yourself saying this frequently, it's not a good team.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Sep 2014 11:51

Nearly full circle back to Mcdermotts team good team or not argument.

This should be this forums version of Godwins law.

paddyaze

by paddyaze » 17 Sep 2014 11:52

bobby1413 What happened with Obita in the corner by South/West stand? I assume he took a weak fall as he got up when ref came over, and no punishment to their player?

I was pretty close to the incident.

Obita saw the ball out under close attention from Fuller who then gave him a naughty little kick in the ankle.

Obita rightly took offence and turned to square up to Fuller who pushed him away in the chest area.

Obita went down bizarrely holding his face, directly in front of the lino who obviously saw no facial contact and almost laughed at Obita rolling around holding his face.

Strictly I'd say it was a Yellow for Fuller for the kick and a Yellow for Obita falsely trying to get Fuller sent off.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Sep 2014 11:55

ZacNaloen Nearly full circle back to Mcdermotts team good team or not argument.

This should be this forums version of Godwins law.

I was deliberately avoiding referencing that.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 17 Sep 2014 11:55

paddyaze
bobby1413 What happened with Obita in the corner by South/West stand? I assume he took a weak fall as he got up when ref came over, and no punishment to their player?

I was pretty close to the incident.

Obita saw the ball out under close attention from Fuller who then gave him a naughty little kick in the ankle.

Obita rightly took offence and turned to square up to Fuller who pushed him away in the chest area.

Obita went down bizarrely holding his face, directly in front of the lino who obviously saw no facial contact and almost laughed at Obita rolling around holding his face.

Strictly I'd say it was a Yellow for Fuller for the kick and a Yellow for Obita falsely trying to get Fuller sent off.

Gamesmanship is obviously something we've been taught under Adkins - the amount of time we waste now when we're in the lead is nigh on embarassing.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 17 Sep 2014 11:58

Schards#2 By no means the finished article but definately, rapidly heading in the right direction. I don't see what the Adkins h8ers and season ticket refuseniks still have to moan about.

Please allow me to enlighten you

A thoroughly piss poor first season and a bit in charge of a Premiership squad he inherited (one that had earned his predecessor MOTM just a month before) and has only just begun to produce performances a level below that I could face watching.

Am I mightily relieved about this? Yes

Am I mightily relieved that FINALLY we are able to compete with the likes of "Parachute Free" Millwall at the right end of the table? Of course

Would I urge our new owners to slap £2m on the Millwall boardroom table by way of compensation in order to swap managers? Like a shot.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 17 Sep 2014 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

160 posts