Wolves - back from the sofa

196 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Wolves - back from the sofa

by sandman » 28 Sep 2014 18:46

Fitting that the game was on a Sunday because we defended like a park side in the second half.

Feds - Not much chance for any of the goals. Not many saves to make otherwise. 6

Gunter - Woeful again, It's not a crime to get close to your man or at least attempt to stop crosses coming in Christopher. 4
Pearce - Not his best game, poor decision for first goal. 5
Hector - Some good and some bad. Needs to stop giving away silly fouls. 5
Obita - Silly mistake for the second goal but largely untroubled other than that. First major error he's made at LB but I'm sure he'll learn from it. 5

Blackman - Tries to do too much sometimes. Could have done better in front of goal a couple of times. 6
Norwood - First time I've seen him and very impressed. Comfortable on the ball and has that quality where he looks like he has lots of time even when he hasn't. Basically, everything Guthrie is built up to be but isn't. 7
Akpan - Did a good job doing the dirty work, couple of poor passes, unlucky to be taken off. 6
Taylor - Good finish but fairly anonymous otherwise. Needs to help Obita a more if he's going to play on the wing. 6

Murray - Lead the line well. 6
Cox - Nice pass for the second. Improving. 6

Guthrie - Awful. Should have definitely been off for two yellows and possibly a straight red for his tackle on Henry just after he came on. 4
Kuhl - Couple of nice touches. 5.5
Mackie - Added some energy. 6
Last edited by sandman on 28 Sep 2014 20:00, edited 3 times in total.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 28 Sep 2014 18:49

Considering that Wolves had only conceded 3 goals all season prior to today, we must be doing something right. If we can sort out the howlers that cost us the 3 points today, then we could be quite a good team.

Entertaining game, and to be honest, I'd have taken a point at the start, it's just disappointing the way we gave them the goals.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Sep 2014 18:53

TBM
Royalcop First time I've seen Norwood play and thought he was excellent, just needs a destroyer alongside him (not Guthrie).

Williams or Karacan

Williams AND karacan

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 Sep 2014 18:56

handbags_harris Interesting how most people have given Gunter higher marks than Obita today, I thought over the course of the whole game Sako gave Gunter an absolutely torrid time. Obita, critical errors aside, looked assured and comfortable, almost untroubled, which is so typical of him. Barely anything gets past him and yet our oxf*rd fans still want him playing higher up the pitch despite witnessing a potential top-4 left back in the making. Compare to his right side compatriot who is a gutless, walking error waiting to happen.

Very very disappointed that he allowed the cross to come in - Pearce should obviously have done better but the goal was more Gunter's fault than his IMO. Terrible defending from him.

(The one unfortunate aberration aside I though Obita was a contender for MOTM.)

Oh and I also really liked the look of Kuhl when he came on. Neat and constructive. Someone said he looked like a schoolboy running around. Christ we have some tossers in our ranks.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Sep 2014 19:02

SCIAG
Dick Habbin's hairdo FTR, the only 90 min shift that tattooed Scouse lobster chucker has ever put in for RFC is the first game of the season against Stoke in the Prem.....

I would suggest that the number of poor performances Guthrie has put in over the past two years could be counted on one person's fingers. And one of the hands wouldn't have much to do.

Or, put it another way, we've had about the same number of bad performances from Guthrie as we have had good ones from Akpan.

Absolute nonsense

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 28 Sep 2014 19:04

Considering that Wolves had only conceded 3 goals all season prior to today, we must be doing something right.
Yep, and they had also only scored eight. So we must be doing something wrong?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Sep 2014 19:18

Pandoras Box
Considering that Wolves had only conceded 3 goals all season prior to today, we must be doing something right.

Makes sense then that the game would be a draw. Right?

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 28 Sep 2014 19:25

Blackman is the new Rougier

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Sep 2014 19:42

Pandoras Box

2 out of the 3 goals they scored came from defensive oxf*rd ups so yeah.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Sep 2014 19:49

Just watched the first half back (I am that sad) and still can't for the life of me work out why Adkins decided to bring his mohawked lovechild on.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Sep 2014 19:57

Akpan I thought was having a fairly decent game. Work rate was good, most of his passing was good and he was even reading the game pretty well, but his first touch was woeful as usual. However he did not deserve to be sent off and we lost all shape in the second half without a defensively minded central midfielder out there. If Adkins felt he needed to take Akpan off then he should have brought Kuhl on.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 28 Sep 2014 20:00

sandman Just watched the first half back (I am that sad) and still can't for the life of me work out why Adkins decided to bring his mohawked lovechild on.

I sit very close to the bench so hear a lot of what Adkins and Croft say. For the final 10 mins of the 1st half, Adkins was chewing the arse off of Akpan. Literally losing the plot and screaming at him like Ive not seen before. He wasn't pressing, moving, picking up his man and some bad ball control just before HT right under Adkins nose was the final straw.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 28 Sep 2014 20:01

Another captain's performance from Gunter!!

Thought Wolves deserved it overall, and a deflected strike gave us our lifeline.

I thought Adkins had finally turned a corner in making sensible and worthwhile substitutions, evidently not.

Akpan was poor again, however does not take a genius to see we leaked 3 goals after he came off! Be interesting to see how NA makes Guthrie and Norwood work

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Sep 2014 20:06

Royal Rother
handbags_harris Interesting how most people have given Gunter higher marks than Obita today, I thought over the course of the whole game Sako gave Gunter an absolutely torrid time. Obita, critical errors aside, looked assured and comfortable, almost untroubled, which is so typical of him. Barely anything gets past him and yet our oxf*rd fans still want him playing higher up the pitch despite witnessing a potential top-4 left back in the making. Compare to his right side compatriot who is a gutless, walking error waiting to happen.

Very very disappointed that he allowed the cross to come in - Pearce should obviously have done better but the goal was more Gunter's fault than his IMO. Terrible defending from him.

(The one unfortunate aberration aside I though Obita was a contender for MOTM.)

Oh and I also really liked the look of Kuhl when he came on. Neat and constructive. Someone said he looked like a schoolboy running around. Christ we have some tossers in our ranks.

I thought for the first goal, Guthrie partial fault for losing the ball, Gunter partial fault for letting Sako get the better of him (again), Pearce for losing his man, Obita for not coming tight to the Wolves player when he escaped Pearce's attention. Honours pretty much even.

Might need another viewing or two though.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Sep 2014 20:10

CayeneMatt
sandman Just watched the first half back (I am that sad) and still can't for the life of me work out why Adkins decided to bring his mohawked lovechild on.

I sit very close to the bench so hear a lot of what Adkins and Croft say. For the final 10 mins of the 1st half, Adkins was chewing the arse off of Akpan. Literally losing the plot and screaming at him like Ive not seen before. He wasn't pressing, moving, picking up his man and some bad ball control just before HT right under Adkins nose was the final straw.

Good for him. Perhaps he should do what Coppell used to do and sit in the stands during the first half because anyone with a view from that angle high in the stand could tell him that the defensive shape with Akpan was perfect and was mentioned several times on commentary.

Watching him now, on the TV and just after the Taylor equaliser he starts telling everyone to stay calm. Which is a bit of a cheek considering he was the one who created the panic through his poor half time decision.
Last edited by sandman on 28 Sep 2014 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Sep 2014 20:16

SCIAG
Dick Habbin's hairdo FTR, the only 90 min shift that tattooed Scouse lobster chucker has ever put in for RFC is the first game of the season against Stoke in the Prem.....

I would suggest that the number of poor performances Guthrie has put in over the past two years could be counted on one person's fingers. And one of the hands wouldn't have much to do.

Or, put it another way, we've had about the same number of bad performances from Guthrie as we have had good ones from Akpan.

Baffled by this comment. When has Guthrie played well?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Sep 2014 20:18

leon
SCIAG

Frequently. Was an early PotS contender last year.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 28 Sep 2014 20:22

Royal Ginger
Basingstoke Royal Obita isn't a defender. He should be on the wing and we should sign a proper left back.

New left back and experienced centre back needed urgently.

Keep that knee jerkin' son. He was our player of the season playing left back last year. He was crap today, but that's one game.

It's not just about his performance today and I don't blame him. He is wasted at left back and you can see he wants to get forward but can't. When he does you get quality into the box like the cross he put in for Murray to score on his debut.

He is playing out of position and doing a reasonable job but if we had a proper left back to play there he could play left wing and be much more effective.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Sep 2014 20:30

leon
SCIAG

Ian Royal Frequently. Was an early PotS contender last year.

One, maybe two, months at the start of a season does not equal "frequently" in a two year spell at a club.
Last edited by sandman on 28 Sep 2014 20:59, edited 2 times in total.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Sep 2014 20:41

CayeneMatt

Agree with him tbh. Akpan wasn't doing a 'holding' job, or breaking up play. He was getting caught up field and losing the ball consistently leaving us totally exposed. Granted Guthrie was utter dogshit in those first 15 mins but the decision to take Akpan off was the right one. Just need more depth in midfield.

196 posts