Back from the sofa - Brentford (H)

165 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Back from the sofa - Brentford (H)

by Sutekh » 28 Dec 2015 19:42

bobby1413 Corners

I had noticed this and I know others have before. Stat on BBCRB is 150+ corners with zero goals.

It's actually a lot more than that, believe the last goal Reading managed to score direct from a corner in the league was at Fulham last January, so that 's almost 12 moths ago and i would suggest in the rehion of 200 corners.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 28 Dec 2015 19:45

IIRC it's been a problem since Adkins first Champ season

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Dec 2015 19:46

andrew1957 I am not sure i get the negativity about Liburd. He came on for a few minutes and did not look out of place. He did not do anything particularly good or bad but then nor has Sa most games I have seen. I rather doubt Sa would have done any better.

Sa's record as a footballer, even with us, says very different. Prior to the game many people (including Charles Watts) were questioning whether Liburd should even be on the bench, so were staggered when he was brought on in preference to Sa. I don't like criticising youngsters, particularly when it's the manager's fault, but Liburd did nothing. We would have been better keeping Piazon on, who I thought played pretty well today and is a player who can create and score goals.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 28 Dec 2015 19:54

SCIAG
RoyallyFcuked Whether HRK did ok or not, he is not a lone striker. He's the only player still here that was in the first team when Brian was last here so clearly he's already his favourite. Brian and his favourites, nothing new there.

No, Gunter, McCleary and Blackman were all in the first team squad when Brian was last here. None of the four were in the first eleven.

True that's my bad, but I was thinking of the promotion season, that's what I meant to say. HRK must be a reminder of the good times to McD, whereas the other 3 could be a reminder of when it all went wrong in the PL season.

Actually, Gunter was our first choice right back when McD was last here.
Last edited by RoyallyFcuked on 28 Dec 2015 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 28 Dec 2015 19:55

On the plus side Hector is suspended. Hopefully we will appeal and fail and it will be lengthened to 20 games :wishfulthinking:

mambo3

by mambo3 » 28 Dec 2015 19:56

genome
blueroyals Blackman - 12 goals in 24 apps this season, position: winger
Sa - 5 goals in 18 apps, position: bench
Vydra - 36 goals in 83 apps while at Watford, position: bench
Samuel - 3 goals in 10 apps, position: out on loan

HRK - zero goals, position: striker.

Absolutely shite team selection

Blackman - 1 goal in his last 12
Sa - not scored since October
Vydra - 2 goals in 14 apps
Samuel - 3 goals in 10 is not that great, and not even at this level

Samuel scored today ?

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 28 Dec 2015 19:57

Chris Gunter is without doubt the most ineffective right back in the Championship.

Time and time again he is given the ball by Williams, advances 2 metres, turns back inside and gives it back to him. He brings nothing to the table.

I am starting to hate him.

Can't cross, can't head, can't tackle, never beats his man, ever.

Explain to me how you bring a kid on in front of an experienced centre forward? My friend's son calls McDermot a tactical retard, and I am beginning to see why.

Corners......... what is that about? The last time we scored from a corner was against Bradford in the cup.

Their fans, shocking!

Why don't our players shoot?

How did Vydra miss an open goal. ( I'm a Vydra fan by the way )

Apart from that all good.

Relegation battle coming up.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Dec 2015 19:58

RoyallyFcuked
SCIAG
RoyallyFcuked Whether HRK did ok or not, he is not a lone striker. He's the only player still here that was in the first team when Brian was last here so clearly he's already his favourite. Brian and his favourites, nothing new there.

No, Gunter, McCleary and Blackman were all in the first team squad when Brian was last here. None of the four were in the first eleven.

True that's my bad, but I was thinking of the promotion season, that's what I meant to say. HRK must be a reminder of the good times to McD, whereas the other 3 could be a reminder of when it all went wrong in the PL season.

Actually, Gunter was our first choice right back when McD was last here.

McDermott signed Kelly to replace Gunts cos he ws shite in the prem.

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 28 Dec 2015 20:06

Chelsea/Royal Chris Gunter is without doubt the most ineffective right back in the Championship.

Time and time again he is given the ball by Williams, advances 2 metres, turns back inside and gives it back to him. He brings nothing to the table.

Explain to me how you bring a kid on in front of an experienced centre forward? My friend's son calls McDermot a tactical retard, and I am beginning to see why.

Corners......... what is that about? The last time we scored from a corner was against Bradford in the cup.

Their fans, shocking!

Why don't our players shoot?

How did Vydra miss an open goal. ( I'm a Vydra fan by the way )

Apart from that all good.

Relegation battle coming up.

Agree with most of that except the relegation battle I to am a Vydra fan really hope he comes good just needs something to go in

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 28 Dec 2015 20:10

Pepe the Horseman McDermott signed Kelly to replace Gunts cos he ws shite in the prem.

That is true but Gunter still played the most games at right back that season, therefore was first choice overall.

Kelly also played left back with Gunter at right back because Harte was shite in the Prem.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 28 Dec 2015 20:15

The positives Mcleary, williams and Norwood
Negatives
Hector awful
No left back ( which may have stopped their goals)
John Terrible.. Lots of fancy Dan. No end product
HRK?
Blackman. Why is he not in the middle

So many issues for Brian to sort out.
Personally I would shift all the loaners out. I reckon it's mid season mediocrity at best this year. Let Brian start from scratch and build a team who want to play for the club and get rid of the over paid mercenaries

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Dec 2015 20:16

Tough day at the office for Quinn. Brentford did their homework and just flooded that side, especially in the first half. They knew Quinn wouldn't get much support.

Ola John looked oxf*rd after about 20 minutes. Just isn't fit enough to play Championship football. Got injured because he was tired.

I like and dislike Williams in equal amounts. His energy and effort is top rate, but his quality is poor. He has no vision, can't spot a pass an definitely cannot execute a through ball. Takes too many touches which is where Tish looked real quality earlier in the season. One touch and plays good, simple pass.

Thought Gmac had his best game of the season when he came on. Gunter was better than of late but agree with the earlier comment that he's probably the worst right back in the league now.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 28 Dec 2015 20:16

I thought Brentford were excellent. Their second goal was the best for me - the first was a bit speculative - the second was outstanding.

Michael Hector is a very silly boy.

Williams was fantastic. McShane too. Quinn did a superb job filling in out of position and can't be faulted - but his real value will come when he can play in his usual position.

The problem seems to me that no one is prepared to apply the final killer touch - it gets a bit too intricate and over complicated. Something needs to change, and fast.

Oh, and obviously, if you can't score once in 151 corners then you're going to struggle.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Dec 2015 20:19

Chelsea/Royal Chris Gunter is without doubt the most ineffective right back in the Championship.

A few times in the second half today Gunter received the ball only to find we had literally no right winger in front of him and two Brentford players. What is he supposed to do in that situation?

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 28 Dec 2015 20:23

genome

A few times in the second half today Gunter received the ball only to find we had literally no right winger in front of him and two Brentford players. What is he supposed to do in that situation?

What about all the other times?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Dec 2015 20:23

Armadillo Roadkill Oh, and obviously, if you can't score once in 151 corners then you're going to struggle.
lol, might as well just give it to their goalie....more chance of him mis kicking/fumbling it in.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 28 Dec 2015 20:24

Armadillo Roadkill I thought Brentford were excellent. Their second goal was the best for me - the first was a bit speculative - the second was outstanding.

Michael Hector is a very silly boy.

Williams was fantastic. McShane too. Quinn did a superb job filling in out of position and can't be faulted - but his real value will come when he can play in his usual position.

The problem seems to me that no one is prepared to apply the final killer touch - it gets a bit too intricate and over complicated. Something needs to change, and fast.

Oh, and obviously, if you can't score once in 151 corners then you're going to struggle.

Brentford excellent LOL!!
Lucky win for me.
They score with their only two attempts.
Time wasting.
Cynical fouls
The only reason they scored was because we didnt have a left back

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Dec 2015 20:28

Left back

Strange how this lack of LB is still an issue. The keys L and B on my keyboard are worn from typing it out so much.

Quinn ok at LB but we need decent LB cover so he can play in the middle.

Strikers

As for strikers I remember some years back saying we needed to get strikers and some argued that our problem was our service. If it was the case then then it CERTAINLY is the case now. We have Blackman who was banging goals in for fun before the rot set in, Vydra who is a proven class goalscorer, Sa who was a dream until we turned rubbish, and we have options on loan currently. A new striker is not the answer here. If we can't get them scoring the problem lies elsewhere. Stunned that BBC Berks were even suggesting this post-match.

Keeper

Bond wasn't at fault for the goals today but let's face it he's generally a liability and at the very best doesn't inspire anyone at all with confidence. A good day for him is making less than three bad decisions/errors in a game. Him and Al Habsi BOTH in goal may be half as effective as Feds at his worst.

January window

1) Beg/borrow/steal a new GK,
2) DON'T bother with a striker,
3) Get decent CB and LB cover.

Then we'll be ok.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Dec 2015 20:31

RoyallyFcuked
Pepe the Horseman McDermott signed Kelly to replace Gunts cos he ws shite in the prem.

That is true but Gunter still played the most games at right back that season, therefore was first choice overall.

Kelly also played left back with Gunter at right back because Harte was shite in the Prem.

Gunter didn't play a single league minute under McDermott once we signed Kelly, and missed out on the bench more often that not in those final 7 matches. Before we signed Kelly, he played 13 matches to Cummings' 9, so it's not like he was a firm first choice McDermott will have a lot of faith in.

Kelly only switched to left back when Adkins came in.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 28 Dec 2015 20:33

SCIAG
RoyallyFcuked

Gunter didn't play a single league minute under McDermott once we signed Kelly, and missed out on the bench more often that not in those final 7 matches. Before we signed Kelly, he played 13 matches to Cummings' 9, so it's not like he was a firm first choice McDermott will have a lot of faith in.

Kelly only switched to left back when Adkins came in.

Ok ok, if you look back I never actually said Gunter would be a first choice for McD anyway, the opposite in fact.

Although seeing as we don't really have any other right back he may not have much choice.
Last edited by RoyallyFcuked on 28 Dec 2015 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

165 posts