Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Norwood to Brighton

by Maneki Neko » 04 Aug 2016 10:18

SCIAG
Maneki Neko
Given the number of talented midfielders we have about the place
:lol:

OK yeah, we're not Barcelona, but it's definitely our strongest position. Williams, Quinn and Swift are "proven" at this level and Evans and VDB seem to also be seen as "first-team" midfielders.

We've got one proven goalkeeper, one right back, one left back, one proven centre back + two we're very unsure of, three senior wingers, and four strikers we're very unsure of.

ok. I can certainly agree that its the area least requiring players currently. but its still the case that we have probably just sold our best two

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 04 Aug 2016 10:36

Silver Fox Always thought he was decent but not great, we'll cope without him

Massive LOLz @ him mind you for moving to Brighton

Bigger club. More money. Better stadium. Better place.

Yeah. LOL.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Aug 2016 10:44

Real Madrid of the south m8

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Aug 2016 11:00

Think this is another indication that Stam is going for the pressing game which I am all for and at long last players with ball at feet running with it with quick passing, none of this long cross field ball nonsense slowing the game down.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 04 Aug 2016 11:13

Brighton have sold 80,000 tickets for their season opener. Mental. Huge club.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 04 Aug 2016 11:47

Do we know, roughly, what the fee is?

wiggso

by wiggso » 04 Aug 2016 11:50

TBM Do we know, roughly, what the fee is?

£1mil in instalments apparently

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 04 Aug 2016 11:54

http://www.transfermarkt.com/oliver-norwood/transfers/spieler/73547/transfer_id/1559106

This website values Norwood at €2,000,000.
It's a bit speculative and doesn't give the exact transfer fee. It is very up-to-date, though. It's already listing ON as a B&HA player.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 04 Aug 2016 12:06

Cracking stadium though.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Aug 2016 12:14

I think it would take an idiot not to see Brighton are a better prospect than Reading at this moment in time, I don't blame him for moving. (Besides, I don't think he's a great loss.) However, their fans are still funny to behold.

I don't think they'll go up this season though, it's an extremely strong division this year. Newcastle, Norwich and Derby* for me.

*just have a feeling they'll finally not bottle it under Pearson.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 04 Aug 2016 13:31

So the only two of our players that I really liked have gone (no, not Kanu, Tish).
It doesn't feel as bad as when Neil Webb, Osborn or Gylfi left but surely we could have built a side around these two?

I agree with Brendy that as soon as a player who is any good leaves the reaction is often "well he wasn't that good"-my take on Norwood is that our managers were not capable of getting the best out of him and he will probably be better with better players around him.He looked good at the Euros.
I also agree with the earlier poster who pointed out that Bridcutt is available and would be a very useful addition.

Danny Williams and Quinn are fair Championship players but the remaining "talent" as they were referred to earlier are very much unknown and unproven and neither Williams nor Quinn have very good fitness records.

As others have said on other topics this is surely a survival/consolidation season and those good old Premier League days feel like a distant memory and way beyond our reach again at the moment.

This is not the sort of news that we wanted IMHO ahead of our first game of the season in a couple of days' time.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Aug 2016 13:40

BR2 So the only two of our players that I really liked have gone (no, not Kanu, Tish).
It doesn't feel as bad as when Neil Webb, Osborn or Gylfi left but surely we could have built a side around these two?

I agree with Brendy that as soon as a player who is any good leaves the reaction is often "well he wasn't that good"-my take on Norwood is that our managers were not capable of getting the best out of him and he will probably be better with better players around him.He looked good at the Euros.
I also agree with the earlier poster who pointed out that Bridcutt is available and would be a very useful addition.

Danny Williams and Quinn are fair Championship players but the remaining "talent" as they were referred to earlier are very much unknown and unproven and neither Williams nor Quinn have very good fitness records.

As others have said on other topics this is surely a survival/consolidation season and those good old Premier League days feel like a distant memory and way beyond our reach again at the moment.

This is not the sort of news that we wanted IMHO ahead of our first game of the season in a couple of days' time.

Alright calm down Mr. Doom and Gloom.

People aren't meh Norwood left because they are bitter. They are meh because Norwood left because he's nothing special. Those creaming themselves over him just need to remember that the last 2 years have been a sack of shite.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 04 Aug 2016 14:11

I've seen nothing to suggest that this year will be any better.

Got a horrible feeling that we may lose Quinn in this window too.

Brosef Stalin
Hob Nob Regular

by Brosef Stalin » 04 Aug 2016 14:28

CountryRoyal
BR2 So the only two of our players that I really liked have gone (no, not Kanu, Tish).

I had a look at the first page of Strongest XI thread and OH was listed in most peoples teams tbf

People aren't meh Norwood left because they are bitter. They are meh because Norwood left because he's nothing special. Those creaming themselves over him just need to remember that the last 2 years have been a sack of shite.

I had a look at the first page of Strongest XI thread and OH was listed in most people's teams

obvs relative assessment before any of you thick pcunts wade in...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Aug 2016 14:47

Brosef Stalin
CountryRoyal

I had a look at the first page of Strongest XI thread and OH was listed in most peoples teams tbf

I had a look at the first page of Strongest XI thread and OH was listed in most people's teams

obvs relative assessment before any of you thick pcunts wade in...

I can't speak for every one but I don't give a shit that he's gone and I've always said I don't think his style of play suits ours.

What do I win?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 04 Aug 2016 15:00

Royal Ginger I've seen nothing to suggest that this year will be any better.

Got a horrible feeling that we may lose Quinn in this window too.

Now that, would oxf*rd me off

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Aug 2016 15:02

paultheroyal Think this is another indication that Stam is going for the pressing game which I am all for and at long last players with ball at feet running with it with quick passing, none of this long cross field ball nonsense slowing the game down.

it wasn't the long crossfield balls slowing us down tbf
it was the shorter sideways/backwards stuff

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 Aug 2016 15:02

I'm not that sad he's gone. I wish him all the best and have absolutely no bad feeling over it. I don't really rate him that highly, but think he does have something to offer in the right team and the right circumstances. I don't believe he did all that much whilst at Reading other than a few great great goals, but week in week out, I was mainly frustrated. Wasted crosses, free kicks, overly ambitious play, just not that great.

There's quite a few other players I would be upset to lose. Don't really get why some are so disappointed he's gone.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 04 Aug 2016 15:16

Tbf At this stage last season Tish was in the "unproven" (still is to some degree) category you're bemoaning above whilst Norwood was hardly a lock in for a starting berth given how Clarke had used him sporadically at the end of the previous season and sidelined him for the bigger cup games. Also would anyone really have predicted the impact (albeit short term)Blackman would have had before last season started?

I think it's a case of accepting this is where we are right now and embracing the fact that we'll have new favourites to enjoy watching each season....................................................Before we sell them to our rivals :wink:

142 posts