8%
Other (please state)
8%

Total votes: 99
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Revised new manager poll

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 May 2023 18:35

Looking at the votes to date O'Shea or Jones would be ok.

Assume the Parky votes are based on this season solely and Wrexham being in the news every day because of the yanks.

Remember its taken him 2.5 years to get a league one squad promoted from a part time league

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 May 2023 18:38

…and a lot of £ backing (for that level)

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 May 2023 18:49

Mid Sussex Royal Looking at the votes to date O'Shea or Jones would be ok.

Assume the Parky votes are based on this season solely and Wrexham being in the news every day because of the yanks.

Remember its taken him 2.5 years to get a league one squad promoted from a part time league

A bit harsh. He took Colchester to there highest ever League position on a tiny budget. First manager to take a 4th tier team to the league cup final beating Arsenal and Villa on the way. Beating Chelsea away in probably the biggest cup upset in modern history. Promotion with Bradford via play offs something Reading have never done.
Sacked by Sunderland when they were 6th halfway through the season. They ended the season outside the playoffs.
Got promoted with Bolton despite a transfer embargo. Granted he failed at Hull and Charlton abut so have a lot of managers.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 May 2023 19:13

AthleticoSpizz …and a lot of £ backing (for that level)

Indeed. Watching 'Welcome to Wrexham' he seemed to be given every single thing he wanted. Every time they got an injury or identified other weaknesses his Hollywood benefactors helped him out at the next transfer window!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 01 May 2023 19:13

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 I'm genuinely not so sure that a manager would last that long if we were to be labouring about in 16th in League One, even with all the changes that we will need to make this summer. I'm still expecting us to be in the play off places really at a minimum, anything less is an underachievement in my opinion, so I doubt anyone would be staying if we were 16th.

Can't keep sacking a manager every year.

Hope for better, but unless you're in serious danger of relegation, give them at least two summer transfer windows and 18 months, preferably 2 years.

I expect us to be a fair bit better than 16th, but we're going to need a lot of work on the squad and be relying on quite a few young players. Our midfield will be entirely new again in all probability.

We should have a three year plan and not panic if year one is a bit of a struggle.

I'm just waiting for the names Pedro Emanuel, retired footballer who is currently manager of Saudi Arabian club Khaleej FC or Wai Hao of
Shandong Taishan. Just the kind of shit thinking Dai has.....just wouldn't be surprised.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 May 2023 19:20

Hound
Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal Bit harsh, could you really see Ince getting draws against Burnley and Luton? And we might have won Luton without the red card.

Yes - both were playing at 50% and had nothing to play for.

Yeah, tbf to Ince (and don’t get me wrong he had to go) he got a draw at Bristol and was a minute and some awful defending from one at promotion chasing PNE

Just don’t think we’ve looked really like winning any of the games under hunt except 15m against Luton (and first half we were piss poor)

We have played teams 1st, 3rd and 6th in the table so perhaps that's not surprising. And I would argue Luton still had everything to play for as they would want the advantage of finishing third going into the playoffs.

As for Ince, you don't tend to win games unless you set out with the intention of actually doing that. One point was hardly an achievement at Bristol and Preston was yet another example of the folly of trying to hold out for a draw when our defence has shown such vulnerabilities.

And don't even get me started on the two points thrown away at home to QPR when Mr Negative decided to go defensive and bring on Scott Dann at 2-0 up but with half an hour still to play!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2023 19:23

Luton were already guaranteed at least 4th. No real advantage to being 3rd rather than 4th, esp with 5/6/7/8th being so close

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 May 2023 20:35

wot no hoddle

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 May 2023 21:53

Millsy wot no hoddle

His heart wasn’t in it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2023 22:30

Hound Luton were already guaranteed at least 4th. No real advantage to being 3rd rather than 4th, esp with 5/6/7/8th being so close

Fact is Hunt had a harder run of games than Ince. Everyone agreed ahead of time. Anything different nowis re-writing hostory to suit a narrative.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 May 2023 06:10

Snowflake Royal
Hound Luton were already guaranteed at least 4th. No real advantage to being 3rd rather than 4th, esp with 5/6/7/8th being so close

Fact is Hunt had a harder run of games than Ince. Everyone agreed ahead of time. Anything different nowis re-writing hostory to suit a narrative.

No one has said otherwise

Still doesn’t change the fact that 3 of the 4 had little to play for and we didn’t beat them.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 May 2023 08:21

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Still doesn’t change the fact that 3 of the 4 had little to play for and we didn’t beat them.

Wigan, Coventry, Luton and Burnley did NOT have little to play for at the time. Think Noel only got it wrong against Wigan but was additionally screwed over by Carroll being an idiot so has done pretty much as well as expected. As usual though the rub of the green just hasn’t turned up for Reading in the last 12 games (or indeed for most of this entire season), particularly with some of the other results clubs have had in the last few weeks.

Issue for the club yet again was the failure to get rid of Ince much earlier when the continual negative team selections and berating of players started.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 May 2023 08:23

Where is all the John O'Shea love coming from? What has he done to show he is the manager to get us up near the top of L1? I feel I may have missed an entire chapter on something he has done

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 May 2023 08:29

Winston Biscuit Where is all the John O'Shea love coming from? What has he done to show he is the manager to get us up near the top of L1? I feel I may have missed an entire chapter on something he has done

Mr Dai likes an ex-Manchester United player. We've had Stam and Ince as managers and O'Shea and Fortune as backroom staff before. Surprised Roy Keane and Steve Bruce aren't being considered too.

Was a bit disappointed that "One of the player's dads" wasn't an option as that's the way we went last time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 May 2023 08:33

Winston Biscuit Where is all the John O'Shea love coming from? What has he done to show he is the manager to get us up near the top of L1? I feel I may have missed an entire chapter on something he has done

People have heard of him. He's from Man Utd so must be good. He's former Reading. Our defending was briefly not awful while he was on the coaching staff.

Absolutely nothing.to do with his managerial ability basically.

Same as Kerr, Murty, Parkinson, Gunnarsson and all the other similar names thrown out.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 May 2023 08:36

Snowflake Royal

People have heard of him. He's from Man Utd so must be good. He's former Reading. Our defending was briefly not awful while he was on the coaching staff.

Absolutely nothing.to do with his managerial ability basically

so no one even knows if the brief upturn in defending was due to him, but are willing to risk our L1 future on it anyway? :lol:

this place is bananas sometimes
Last edited by Winston Biscuit on 02 May 2023 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 May 2023 08:39

morganb Was a bit disappointed that "One of the player's dads" wasn't an option as that's the way we went last time.

Mr Meite & Mr Lumley as joint managers is what we really all want!

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 02 May 2023 08:48

morganb

Mr Dai likes an ex-Manchester United player. We've had Stam and Ince as managers and O'Shea and Fortune as backroom staff before. Surprised Roy Keane and Steve Bruce aren't being considered too.

Was a bit disappointed that "One of the player's dads" wasn't an option as that's the way we went last time.

Steve Bruce Well you know, I'd love the job. You can pay me in kebabs with extra lashings of Chilli sauce with a side of cheesy chips. No salad, I hate lettuce, and you'll have to get rid of that Andy Carroll because I hate him too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 May 2023 08:53

Sutekh
Hound
Snowflake Royal Fact is Hunt had a harder run of games than Ince. Everyone agreed ahead of time. Anything different nowis re-writing hostory to suit a narrative.

Wigan, Coventry, Luton and Burnley did NOT have little to play for at the time. Think Noel only got it wrong against Wigan but was additionally screwed over by Carroll being an idiot so has done pretty much as well as expected. As usual though the rub of the green just hasn’t turned up for Reading in the last 12 games (or indeed for most of this entire season), particularly with some of the other results clubs have had in the last few weeks.

Issue for the club yet again was the failure to get rid of Ince much earlier when the continual negative team selections and berating of players started.

Nah, the issue is we have a set of very average players and have all season

I think we all agree Ince had to leave and should have done earlier but I can’t get on board with blaming it all on him. He actually did a decent job first half of the season

Have sympathy with Hunt over Carroll but Luton were all over us first half. Fair chance they’d have got an equaliser with 11 on the pitch

Hunts had a lot in his favour - 3 home games against teams who did have little riding on the result , positivity, big crowds, everyone wanting him to do well. It’s just not worked out but it’s silly blaming any of those 4 games on Ince

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 02 May 2023 09:27

Scott Parker? Although he would demand a high salary and an open cheque book as that’s all he had before.

256 posts