398 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: HMRC Winding up petition/order

by Sutekh » 27 Jun 2023 21:38

royalstevep68
The Green Programme
Dirk Gently
They started doing them because of the Football Creditors Rule, which said that football debts got higher priority than all other debts, including tax debts - and existed to allow football to function they way it does (without it there'd be no transfers or away tickets sold).

But this screwed over HMRC (and lots of small creditors in the case of Pompey) so as a reaction HMRC instigated a policy of not negotiating or bargaining with football clubs - they just go straight to Winding Up Petitions.

As taxpayers, we should applaud them.

Absolutely..perhaps we should all stand outside our front doors every evening and applaud together

(And report on those unspeakable heretics who choose not to join in)

No, report those absolute gimps who embarrassingly clapped like a bunch of sheep. Cringeworthy. And I’ll bet not one of them genuine and just did it for their 5 seconds of fame on tv.

Nobody actually did that did they?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Jun 2023 15:51

royalstevep68
Dirk Gently
Snowflake Royal HMRC throw them at clubs straight away because they're fed up of being stiffed on tax.

Most clubs who've gone into administration get them.

They started doing them because of the Football Creditors Rule, which said that football debts got higher priority than all other debts, including tax debts - and existed to allow football to function they way it does (without it there'd be no transfers or away tickets sold).

But this screwed over HMRC (and lots of small creditors in the case of Pompey) so as a reaction HMRC instigated a policy of not negotiating or bargaining with football clubs - they just go straight to Winding Up Petitions.

Applaud the hmrc. Are you having a laugh. Run by a bunch of clueless out of touch insensitive imbeciles. Introduced the mess called ir35, and during a pandemic. Ridiculous.

The level of debate these days stoops lower and lower. Social media has much to answer for. Sums up the educational standard achieved. Pathetic.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 28 Jun 2023 23:28

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99
katweslowski The depressing thing is about this (well, one of them) is that if Reading FC were to get into even more trouble and go out of business, it would probably get a 2-3 minute mention on Sky Sports News, probably after the latest rumour around Manchester City.

It sums up football really, both the journalistic material and the way the game works now.

I don't really think that's fair, there was an awful lot of attention around Bury (and Bolton) at the time and, even now, you see Bury and their phoenix clubs mentioned in the news (maybe not national news but certainly regional or less popular news).

If the worst was to be the worst and we were to run into more trouble, we'd likely be one of the main news articles on the BBC (and other more popular news outlets) for a while, similar to Derby from a couple of years ago. Obviously we don't exactly want to be in the news for these reasons though, it's hardly a popularity contest.

Bury only got mentions as Bolton were up the same creek at the same time.

We're a bigger club than Bury were before they were expelled. Had more recent success, and with a bigger fan base, so I would expect we'd get more coverage even if it feels like we wouldn't.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Jun 2023 08:02

Royal_jimmy
Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99
I don't really think that's fair, there was an awful lot of attention around Bury (and Bolton) at the time and, even now, you see Bury and their phoenix clubs mentioned in the news (maybe not national news but certainly regional or less popular news).

If the worst was to be the worst and we were to run into more trouble, we'd likely be one of the main news articles on the BBC (and other more popular news outlets) for a while, similar to Derby from a couple of years ago. Obviously we don't exactly want to be in the news for these reasons though, it's hardly a popularity contest.

Bury only got mentions as Bolton were up the same creek at the same time.

We're a bigger club than Bury were before they were expelled. Had more recent success, and with a bigger fan base, so I would expect we'd get more coverage even if it feels like we wouldn't.

In truth, if it looked like we were in real danger of going bust, it would get a lot of coverage.

At the moment though, it's just speculation, so not much for the (national) press to really report. The complete absence of anything on GetReading etc, is much worse.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jun 2023 08:26

Todays the day we have to respond to all this nonsense isn’t it?

Hopefully it’ll be made public

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jun 2023 08:29

Hound Todays the day we have to respond to all this nonsense isn’t it?

Hopefully it’ll be made public

Today's the day for the non-payment of wages aspect isn't it?

I know they plan to fight any charge but hopefully at least it will come from the perspective of everything has been paid.

Tomorrow is the last day of the agreed decision for the P&S breach so will be interesting* to see if that drops away on Monday.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jun 2023 08:40

Yes hopefully we are a bit clearer today/over the weekend leading into July about what's going on and then what we can or possibly can't do about certain things as well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jun 2023 09:27

Well someone on Twitter claiming that senior staff have only received 60% of wages again this month - no idea a) if true or b) if this includes playing staff. If the latter, then that will be more issues with the EFL.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Jun 2023 09:58

Stranded Well someone on Twitter claiming that senior staff have only received 60% of wages again this month - no idea a) if true or b) if this includes playing staff. If the latter, then that will be more issues with the EFL.

Someone I know who works for the club said he was paid in full and on time, so it wouldn't have affected everyone but if true that some players were again paid not in full there's clearly cash flow challenges.

On Strings

by On Strings » 29 Jun 2023 10:27

Royal_jimmy
Stranded Well someone on Twitter claiming that senior staff have only received 60% of wages again this month - no idea a) if true or b) if this includes playing staff. If the latter, then that will be more issues with the EFL.

Someone I know who works for the club said he was paid in full and on time.

Is your friend "senior staff"...?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Jun 2023 11:02

On Strings
Royal_jimmy

Someone I know who works for the club said he was paid in full and on time.

Is your friend "senior staff"...?
Might be minimum wage in which case it would be illegal and unethical not to pay their full wages

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Jun 2023 11:04

Apparently (also from Twitter) pay day for all Reading staff is the last working day of the month (tomorrow).

Therefore it is true that the staff have not been paid this month.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 29 Jun 2023 11:32

Not paying wages on time should be a hard, zero tolerance ban on ALL new signings for a set period. I would say 3 months from when full payment is made.

On Strings

by On Strings » 29 Jun 2023 11:36

Elm Park Kid Not paying wages on time should be a hard, zero tolerance ban on ALL new signings for a set period. I would say 3 months from when full payment is made.

Better get Walcott and Knibbs in sharpish then :wink:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Jun 2023 11:57

Saw the same tweet, it's some guy with no sort of track record of credibility so I would take it with a massive pinch of salt.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 29 Jun 2023 13:36

Lower West
royalstevep68
Dirk Gently

Applaud the hmrc. Are you having a laugh. Run by a bunch of clueless out of touch insensitive imbeciles. Introduced the mess called ir35, and during a pandemic. Ridiculous.

The level of debate these days stoops lower and lower. Social media has much to answer for. Sums up the educational standard achieved. Pathetic.

You have just resorted to exactly the tactics that you appear to criticise - you’re just using passive aggressive methods in an attempt to show contempt for the post made (see ‘Vision of the Anointed’)

Educational standards have fallen dramatically over recent decades as a result of falling standards in teaching.

Please explain why the comment was ‘pathetic’ - I read it as being clearly an exaggeration for comedic effect and as such less pious and crass than your response….

With all due respect.

HMRC (together with every other Government Agency) is in a bad way post Covid.

Service standards have dropped alarmingly and there are inexplicable delays in everything done; except for the collection of taxes. Sums currently being collected are at record levels.

All government agencies are haemorrhaging money…. Whilst being less effective.

This is not good. This is a bad thing.

If HMRC were ever responsible for putting our Club into administration by pursuing sums owed to them by way of unnecessarily aggressive methods - this would also be a bad thing.

And not a good thing.

And therefore, should such circumstances prevail, I will not be applauding their actions.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jun 2023 14:15

The Green Programme
And therefore, should such circumstances prevail, I will not be applauding their actions.

Not a game. Business is the real deal. Break the rules pay the consequences. I'm sure that RFC are not the only club. Facing an uncertain future on and off the pitch. Sometimes a reset is what's required to focus attention on what really matters and provide an opportunity to rebuild in a sustainable manner. HMRC are only the tip of the iceberg of much deeper rooted financial problems I'd suggest. With our absent owner himself in some considerable mire .

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2023 15:02

The Green Programme
Lower West
royalstevep68

You have just resorted to exactly the tactics that you appear to criticise - you’re just using passive aggressive methods in an attempt to show contempt for the post made (see ‘Vision of the Anointed’)

Educational standards have fallen dramatically over recent decades as a result of falling standards in teaching.

Please explain why the comment was ‘pathetic’ - I read it as being clearly an exaggeration for comedic effect and as such less pious and crass than your response….

With all due respect.

HMRC (together with every other Government Agency) is in a bad way post Covid.

Service standards have dropped alarmingly and there are inexplicable delays in everything done; except for the collection of taxes. Sums currently being collected are at record levels.

All government agencies are haemorrhaging money…. Whilst being less effective.

This is not good. This is a bad thing.

If HMRC were ever responsible for putting our Club into administration by pursuing sums owed to them by way of unnecessarily aggressive methods - this would also be a bad thing.

And not a good thing.

HMRC are acting on behalf of the public to recover money that has not been paid. Good on em. Don't want enforcement action?

Pay the Tax Bill.

HTH.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Jun 2023 15:41

There was a reason I put TGP on ignore.

What utter drivel it spouts.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Jun 2023 15:47

leon There was a reason I put TGP on ignore.

What utter drivel it spouts.

They've only posted 173 times, that's a pretty impressive post > block conversion rate.

398 posts