Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 173
Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 16 Aug 2007 19:07

Sebastian
Rich@Eaststand If you are chasing a game and bring on a right winger to try and get you a goal it might be an idea to get the ball out wide and play it to his feet so he can try to create something.

To have a go at Seol for yesterdays result is just stupid.

I don't think anyone is blaming him for the result - all I said was that he was brought on to chase the game, and didn't actually achieve any of that.

He was brought on to chase the game and then wasn't given the ball - maybe that is why he didn't achieve it?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Aug 2007 19:16

Thinking about it, Seol is what he is... He didn't suddenly start playing the way he plays and Steve Coppell must realise this.

Therefore, as Seol keeps getting picked he must be performing to a level expected of him. Fact is, that level isn't good enough to keep a fit Glen Little out of the side and may not be enough to keep him ahead of John Oster.

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 17 Aug 2007 13:30

Sebastian
Rich@Eaststand
Sebastian
Rich@Eaststand If you are chasing a game and bring on a right winger to try and get you a goal it might be an idea to get the ball out wide and play it to his feet so he can try to create something.

I don't think anyone is blaming him for the result - all I said was that he was brought on to chase the game, and didn't actually achieve any of that.

He was brought on to chase the game and then wasn't given the ball - maybe that is why he didn't achieve it?

And let's think why no one passed to him - most probably because the team thinks he's as shit and lazy as most of us do.

:roll:

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 17 Aug 2007 13:37

Seol looked a player absolutely bereft of confidence on Wednesday night. I don't know how to get him playing the way we all want him to so I'll just give him my full support and hope he gets over whatever it is holding him back.

Let's hope he rinses a couple of Everton's full backs tomorrow!

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 17 Aug 2007 13:47

Sebastian
Rich@Eaststand
Sebastian
Rich@Eaststand
Sebastian

And let's think why no one passed to him - most probably because the team thinks he's as shit and lazy as most of us do.

We disagree, brilliant - I admire your untainted support, I really do - but the seemingly vast vast majority (70%) think the bloke's useless and lazy. I'm not saying we're right and you're wrong - but we do have a right to our opinion, just as you have a right to yours.

Pointless little smileys and emoticons achieve nothing - debate the point at hand.

Why do you think that no one passed to Seol against Chelsea? And if people did pass to Seol why did he manage to achieve oxf*rd all? If it's because we were under the cosh - as people have admitted he has zero talent tracking back - so a bad sub by Coppell. As we were going forward towards the end - and he's a so-called 'flair' player, or whatever, why did he do absolutely nothing of note in the time he was on the pitch - especially as we play down the wings?

It's about as pointless as saying that players don't give him the ball because they think he is lazy and shit isn't it?

My support isn't untainted. He is very much a confidence player and does blow hot and cold which is frustrating but I think that given the right service that he would be a threat for us. If you are going to bring him on you have to give him the ball to his feet in the final 3rd of the pitch. On Wednesday we just continued to hit aimless long balls towards the area which Chelsea dealt with easily which makes bringing him on seem pointless.

I don't know why you seem surprised that he isn't full of confidence when people get on his back before he touches the ball.

He can be frustrating but get him playing with a little confidence and he is one of the most talented players we have got and the only one who can score a goal out of nothing.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Aug 2007 14:46

Sebastian My point about lazy and shit was admittedly a bit glib - but was pointing towards a larger point on which I should have expanded (which I now have done).

I agree with you that when he's playing well, and pumping balls into the box, he's one of our greatest assets - but he hasn't done that in a very very long time - since he got moved from the wing to CF actually. At the time I thought it was just because he wasn't happy in the new position and needed to adjust - but he didn't get much better there - and when he moved back out to the right, he didn't improve at all.

Maybe that's Coppells fault, maybe something just isn't working for the bloke - but it really was pointless him being on the pitch on Wednesday.

You say we were just pumping balls into the box - you're right, and that concerned me because we usually play so well down the wings - especially when chasing a game. Just something seemed to say to me that the players didn't really want to use him - and Murty was certainly getting frustrated at him. I could well have been misreading the situation, though.

Its not Coppells fault........ Seol is responsible for his own performances....

Coppell likes to keep things fresh on the flanks and always changes and substitutes the wingers game by game......

If we had more options or Little was fit, I doubt Seol would be involved at all!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Aug 2007 14:52

Rich@Eaststand
Sebastian
Rich@Eaststand
Sebastian
Rich@Eaststand
Sebastian

We disagree, brilliant - I admire your untainted support, I really do - but the seemingly vast vast majority (70%) think the bloke's useless and lazy. I'm not saying we're right and you're wrong - but we do have a right to our opinion, just as you have a right to yours.

Pointless little smileys and emoticons achieve nothing - debate the point at hand.

Why do you think that no one passed to Seol against Chelsea? And if people did pass to Seol why did he manage to achieve oxf*rd all? If it's because we were under the cosh - as people have admitted he has zero talent tracking back - so a bad sub by Coppell. As we were going forward towards the end - and he's a so-called 'flair' player, or whatever, why did he do absolutely nothing of note in the time he was on the pitch - especially as we play down the wings?

It's about as pointless as saying that players don't give him the ball because they think he is lazy and shit isn't it?

My support isn't untainted. He is very much a confidence player and does blow hot and cold which is frustrating but I think that given the right service that he would be a threat for us. If you are going to bring him on you have to give him the ball to his feet in the final 3rd of the pitch. On Wednesday we just continued to hit aimless long balls towards the area which Chelsea dealt with easily which makes bringing him on seem pointless.

I don't know why you seem surprised that he isn't full of confidence when people get on his back before he touches the ball.

He can be frustrating but get him playing with a little confidence and he is one of the most talented players we have got and the only one who can score a goal out of nothing.

Its not always so easy to give Seol the ball in the final third to his feet, especially when you are playing a team like Chelsea. Its not about his teammates bringing Seol in to the game and if he's not performing his teammates are to blame. Seol has to make himself available, he has to put himself about.

In this division we are not going to be in the position where we have plenty of possession and we can just spray the ball out to Seol with him advanced up the pitch in the final 3rd to receive it.

Seol has to be good all over the pitch...... He has to work hard everywhere down the flanks.

The Premier League is too high a level for Seol. That is the simple truth. There is only about 6 or 7 teams that we can play against where Seol could have a good game. He is not cut out for matches where we're not going to dominate.

Seol needs to be part of a top 6 Championship side, who regularly dominate matches and are able to control the game so much so that they can give Seol the ball in the final 3rd and it doesn't matter when Seol does nothing else for the team.

He was mildly influential whilst playing for Wolves in that way.... But even the Wolves fans found him frustrating. Seol's level is Championship unfortunately, but he can do a job against some of the weaker Prem sides. That means there are about 15 teams that Seol shouldn't be playing against.

I don't think Seol would be happy with just 10 games a season so he may as well go.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Aug 2007 14:56

If you analyse which of the games Seol played well in last season, they are all against the lesser sides where we had plenty of possession and were able to impose ourselves and play an offensive game. In those matches Seol could receive the ball high up the pitch and pull a few strings.

Off the top of my head those games were against:

Middlesboro
West Ham
Sheffield United
Charlton
Fulham

These are the lesser sides in the Prem.

In other matches where we are less dominant and imposing, Seol simply isn't gonna be much use to us...... He can't help us in tough matches where you have to dig in and grind out results.

Everton is tough opposition........... I doubt Seol could have a good game against Everton. I think we should start with Oster.

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 17 Aug 2007 14:59

Sebastian I'm not saying it's Coppell's fault - I'm just struggling to work out why someone - who looked like one of the most talented platers we'd had at the club - suddenly died off and has achieved none of that early form.

I think it's all down to confidence - He came into the club full of confidence and made a flying start. Then he got moved to a position where he wasn't completely happy and it started to disappear until he lost his place.

He did win his place back due to injury but the crowd had started to turn and the criticism of him turned from the odd moan to half the crowd getting on at him before he has made a mistake.

It's a catch 22 - He needs to put in good performances to win the crowd back but when ever he tries anything and it doesn't come off he gets slaughtered.

I'd love for everyone to get behind him for a few games as I'm sure that it would be beneficial but this is the real world and that just isn't going to happen so Coppell is going to have to work a miracle and help him win the crowd back.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Aug 2007 15:01

Sebastian
sheshnu Seol looked a player absolutely bereft of confidence on Wednesday night. I don't know how to get him playing the way we all want him to so I'll just give him my full support and hope he gets over whatever it is holding him back.

Let's hope he rinses a couple of Everton's full backs tomorrow!

I absolutely agree with you - I go into every game wanting every player to do well - and have never booed one of our players - doesn't stop me thinking they're a pile of steaming useless shit after the game though.

If he plays well tomorrow I'll come on here and hold my hands up - but there's a time when you just have to admit to yourself that it doesn't look like it's going to happen. He came storming into the side - absolutely brilliantly - but then died, and has never looked the same since. Now, a year later, maybe it's time to look at different options.

or it could be that all the grief, pressure and criticism is totally destroying the lads confidence
i want him to do well
and will try roaring him on if he gets on tommorrow.
the booing clearly hasnt worked

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 17 Aug 2007 15:05

Top Flight Its not always so easy to give Seol the ball in the final third to his feet, especially when you are playing a team like Chelsea. Its not about his teammates bringing Seol in to the game and if he's not performing his teammates are to blame. Seol has to make himself available, he has to put himself about.

In this division we are not going to be in the position where we have plenty of possession and we can just spray the ball out to Seol with him advanced up the pitch in the final 3rd to receive it.

I think the problem is that Seol is that he is what he is. It would be interesting to go back in time and see how he would of done in the 1st half against Chelsea when we had our tails up. I don't know if the outcome would of been different but I think that Seol would of taken one of the chances that Oster missed.

I think your point about the teams he played well against is spot on - He is great when we can get our tails up and attack but weakens the team when we have to roll our sleeves up and battle.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 18 Aug 2007 17:48

Good performance by Seol today but, predictably, the first thing he did wrong (cross into the north stand early in the second half) people are screaming at him to be subbed.

The same people watch passes going astry from every other player without uttering a sound.

I genuinely feel sorry for the guy, I don't think there's anything he can do to change these morons blinkered opinions.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 18 Aug 2007 18:02

Schards#2 Good performance by Seol today but, predictably, the first thing he did wrong (cross into the north stand early in the second half) people are screaming at him to be subbed.

The same people watch passes going astry from every other player without uttering a sound.

I genuinely feel sorry for the guy, I don't think there's anything he can do to change these morons blinkered opinions.

totally agree, I made a point of watching his game closely today, while he didn`t really get involved too much due to lack of service in the first half what he did do he did well, basically a faultless performance.
however in the 2nd half he made a couple of minor mistakes and as you say the brainless tits all around me were on his back, it really defies befief,

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Aug 2007 18:04

The welsh moron behind me yelled to him "You should be getting headers Seol" when he quite clearly had just won a header. You couldn't make it up. :roll:

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 18 Aug 2007 18:06

Royal Lady The welsh moron behind me yelled to him "You should be getting headers Seol" when he quite clearly had just won a header. You couldn't make it up. :roll:

Did you just make that up?

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 18 Aug 2007 18:32

Had an average game today, his final one in a Reading shirt.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Aug 2007 20:02

I was hoping that against one of the weaker left-backs today would be his day.
I agree with the "average" rating but this was probably one of his better games.
For me he just doesn't do enough and seeing him sustain an injury made me think that the club has 2 weeks to buy another right-winger.
BTW I think he got much more applause by hobbling off injured than he would have got if just substituted.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Aug 2007 20:24

Victor Meldrew I was hoping that against one of the weaker left-backs today would be his day.
I agree with the "average" rating but this was probably one of his better games.
For me he just doesn't do enough and seeing him sustain an injury made me think that the club has 2 weeks to buy another right-winger.
BTW I think he got much more applause by hobbling off injured than he would have got if just substituted.
a good performance by the Seol Man today.

Got many a decent cross in, had to deal with Murtz going off and DLC coming on, made plenty of tackles and chased back.

Unlucky to get injured...deserved the plaudits today.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Aug 2007 20:54

Seol seemed more up for it today. But he didn't create too much and his final ball was actually poorer than usual I thought today, to be fair he must be feeling the pressure to perform a bit.

We're just not the same down the right without Little and as things don't sound too promising on his injuries, I agree we need to find another winger pretty sharpish.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Aug 2007 23:43

I thought he was much better today, and from my place in the North Stand didn't hear a single negative peep out of anyone about him all game.