Points Deduction Incoming!

776 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Points Deduction Incoming!

by Zip » 17 Nov 2021 20:24

morganb
Zip
morganb Can't see it posted so here's the link to the EFL page where you can find details of the business plan etc.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ju ... -decisions

So, which players that will still be under contract next season count towards the 25 with 3+ starts?

Luke Southwood
Liam Moore
George Puscas
Ovie Ejaria
Lucas Joao
Yakou Meite
Tom McIntyre.

Thanks. The magnificent seven! Guess this will be supplemented by some of the more experienced academy lads, then free agents and loans. Is there any chance that any of the out of contract players will actually renew?

We have Andresson signed up long term. So we should be fine for keepers.
I think both Tetek and Azeez’s contracts expire in the summer. Not sure where we stand with Clarke. I think Yids would stay. Araruna too. We will lose Swift and Laurent. Rafael will be released. Rino who knows. Hopefully Holmes will stay.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Nov 2021 20:26

morganb
Zip
morganb Can't see it posted so here's the link to the EFL page where you can find details of the business plan etc.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ju ... -decisions

So, which players that will still be under contract next season count towards the 25 with 3+ starts?

Luke Southwood
Liam Moore
George Puscas
Ovie Ejaria
Lucas Joao
Yakou Meite
Tom McIntyre.

Thanks. The magnificent seven! Guess this will be supplemented by some of the more experienced academy lads, then free agents and loans. Is there any chance that any of the out of contract players will actually renew?

Expect Holmes will. Possibly Rinomhota.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 17 Nov 2021 20:31

It could have been worse so 6 points doesn’t seem too bad. Hopefully, the owners will ensure that we stick to the plan for 2022/2023.

Just feel relieved and it makes me want to go to more games to “back the boys and make some noise”. :D :D

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 17 Nov 2021 20:39

Staying in the Champ over the next two years, as we steady the ship, should be our only goal. Build from that base and smash the 106 record in 2023/24…

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Nov 2021 20:40

So Moore, who plays like half a player, will cost us the salary of three players.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Nov 2021 21:10

TheLawnMowerMan
Millsy
Zip What this also means is that noone will want to Join us

Corrected for you.

Craig Noone is playing in Australia so I doubt he'll be joining us.

That's why I said that.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 17 Nov 2021 21:20

The flexibility would be in not having to stick to £8.5k per wk, as long as the squad is small enough to allow a few players over that figure.

The issue is not the squad size…it’s the profile of player being signed, I.e. injury-prone. Good example being Joao who is magic on his day but spends half the season in the treatment room.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Nov 2021 21:32

Zip
morganb
Zip
Luke Southwood
Liam Moore
George Puscas
Ovie Ejaria
Lucas Joao
Yakou Meite
Tom McIntyre.

We have Andresson signed up long term. So we should be fine for keepers.
I think both Tetek and Azeez’s contracts expire in the summer. Not sure where we stand with Clarke. I think Yids would stay. Araruna too. We will lose Swift and Laurent. Rafael will be released. Rino who knows. Hopefully Holmes will stay.

I doubt we offer Araruna a new contract unless he starts playing regularly and looking good. In which case I'm not sure we keep Yiadom.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Nov 2021 21:50

Snowflake Royal So Moore, who plays like half a player, will cost us the salary of three players.

I knew that was coming :D :D

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Nov 2021 21:57

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal So Moore, who plays like half a player, will cost us the salary of three players.

I didn’t. Ian’s never completely and utterly one eyed where Liam Moore is concerned. :?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Nov 2021 23:09

Kitsondinho Staying in the Champ over the next two years, as we steady the ship, should be our only goal. Build from that base and smash the 106 record in 2023/24…

No nearer rebuilding the team than when McD was sacked after his second short term stint. Millions of pounds spent for no return since. Now left with a ragbone collection of injury prone Jerkll and Hyde performers, young kids and a revolving door of loanees/free transfers that no one else is willing to take a punt on.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 18 Nov 2021 04:41

Kitsondinho Staying in the Champ over the next two years, as we steady the ship, should be our only goal. Build from that base and smash the 106 record in 2023/24…

:lol:

Awful post

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Nov 2021 07:09

I think this point has been made on Twitter, but the business plan seems to make no allowance for transfer revenue from selling players. In which case, keep Swift for the season and let him go in the summer for free

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Nov 2021 08:12

Zip
Ascotexgunner

I didn’t. Ian’s never completely and utterly one eyed where Liam Moore is concerned. :?

I provide a public service ensuring people don't forget what a monumental waste of money, and a crushing disappointment he is.

:D

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 18 Nov 2021 09:02

Not quite sure of the veracity of the information but read an article recently which had details of premier players on less than £10k per week. Some staggeringly low figures e.g.

Pukki £8k
Curtis Jones £4K
Both Longstaffs at Newcastle are on less than a grand a week :shock:

So, there may be decent players within our limited budget.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 18 Nov 2021 09:12

ayjaydee Not quite sure of the veracity of the information but read an article recently which had details of premier players on less than £10k per week. Some staggeringly low figures e.g.

Pukki £8k
Curtis Jones £4K

I would be shocked if Pukki is on £8k a week, especially when Mitrovic (an equivilent striker at Champ level) is on £100k a week.

Either that or he needs a new agent!

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 18 Nov 2021 09:15

ayjaydee Not quite sure of the veracity of the information but read an article recently which had details of premier players on less than £10k per week. Some staggeringly low figures e.g.

Pukki £8k
Curtis Jones £4K

That's quite surprising as you'd expect Premier League players to be on big bucks.

The trick will be to find players like the examples given who are either:

- going to become free agents in the summer (can they be approached in the January window like Laurent was?) and be willing to join Reading on a reasonable wage

or

- to find a club like Chelsea who are willing to loan us players with no loan fee and still pay the majority of their wages.

I guess a lot of the business will be done towards the back-end of the window as players will likely hold out for better options, though now the club know the rules they have can get their feelers out in plenty of time plus the business done this summer has been excellent given the constraints already in place.

Does the plan mention contract length as this season it was limited to 1 year?

Also, does 'A maximum of 25 “permitted players” (players with 3+ starts in Championship or PL)' mean for any club or just for Reading? If any club I guess we look to the lower leagues/abroad.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 18 Nov 2021 09:18

Pukki £8k
Curtis Jones £4K

There is no way I earn considerably more then a Longstaff :lol:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Nov 2021 09:40

Pukki £8k
Curtis Jones £4K

Pukki's wages seem to be based on info from 2012.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Nov 2021 09:43

morganb

Pukki £8k
Curtis Jones £4K

That's quite surprising as you'd expect Premier League players to be on big bucks.

The trick will be to find players like the examples given who are either:

- going to become free agents in the summer (can they be approached in the January window like Laurent was?) and be willing to join Reading on a reasonable wage

or

- to find a club like Chelsea who are willing to loan us players with no loan fee and still pay the majority of their wages.

I guess a lot of the business will be done towards the back-end of the window as players will likely hold out for better options, though now the club know the rules they have can get their feelers out in plenty of time plus the business done this summer has been excellent given the constraints already in place.

Does the plan mention contract length as this season it was limited to 1 year?

Also, does 'A maximum of 25 “permitted players” (players with 3+ starts in Championship or PL)' mean for any club or just for Reading? If any club I guess we look to the lower leagues/abroad.

Yep recruitment needs to be smart, we also don't appear to be constrained to 1 year deals next season as we are this.

Can someone check my maths a bit here too:

If next years wage budget is 16m - if all 25 players are paid the same that would be an annual salary per player of 640,000GBP.

That equates to a weekly salary of 12.3k - is it me or is that not actually too bad for the Championship? I know the average wage is higher than that but that is skewed by the salaries of recently relegated players, so 12k is probably not far off what most decent Champ players earn.

There will be players out of contract next summer on less than that - seen figures that peg Laurent at about 4k pw for example - so given we will lose at least a couple of high earners, there would be scope to increase his salary in a contract extension to 6 or 8k pw and be within the rules.

Especially when you factor in the likes of Southwood, McIntyre etc are probably earning only a couple of grand a week at the mo.

Now I've based this on the playing staff having a 16m limit but not sure if the coaching staff salaries would need to form part of that total outlay.

776 posts