AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG villa

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Mar 2013 22:25

^from the university of speaking the bloody obvious :wink:

yuomi

by yuomi » 09 Mar 2013 22:38

Arnie_Pie Loyalty to certain players will take us down from the Premiership, which is exactly what happened last time. If we have any hope of survival, Brian really needs to become ruthless and drop certain players and try something new. We have nothing more to lose than where we are now.

/\ This. Fan abuse of players on a personal level is abysmal, and it speaks volumes for the plasticity and lack of imagination of a section of the fanbase. But their criticism is not entirely without merit. As i said previously Legs in particular, and Jobi on occasion (amongst others, i am only singling out these two are as they seem to be the players McD rates as 'indispensable' to the first team and therefore appear to have an immunity to deselection due to poor form) have shown themselves not to be up to the task at hand. This gives rise to the idea that their being consistently selected is either favouritism, which McD insists he does not approve of, or sentimentality. This is dangerous. If we'd fought the Falklands with Spitfires because they did well in WW2 it might have gone very differently. Crude metaphor maybe but it seems the club totally underestimated the gulf in class that accompanies the step up between the Championship and the Prem. Southampton spent millions upgrading their squad and aren't totally clear of the relegation dogfight, how could anyone possibly think we could get away with strengthening so little and expect anything other than what we've got? McD is unapologetic and almost bewilderingly dismissive of the trouble we're in. He refuses to point the finger of blame ay anyone or accept its burden for himself and the board are silent, so who can the fans blame?
Last edited by yuomi on 09 Mar 2013 23:56, edited 2 times in total.

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 09 Mar 2013 22:52

Only thing worse than the performace today was our embarassingly terrible support. The barracking of Ledge (in particular) and McAnuff over the last few months has been disgusting. Then booing the substitutions of Akpan (who I thought had a poor game apart from the assist) and Hunt (as if McD was taking off Messi) was the icing on the cake. The fans have their favourites who can do no wrong, whereas McAnuff (who was our biggest threat) can do no right in some people's eyes. Pearce, for example was terrible I thought today (one great last ditch challenge aside), Hunt and ALF completely anonymous and Akpan wayward on the ball. Then we have people chanting for Guthrie (who I like as a player), who has not done anything of note in a Reading.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 09 Mar 2013 22:56

yuomi
Arnie_Pie Loyalty to certain players will take us down from the Premiership, which is exactly what happened last time. If we have any hope of survival, Brian really needs to become ruthless and drop certain players and try something new. We have nothing more to lose than where we are now.

/\ This. Fan abuse of players on a personal level is abysmal, and it speaks volumes for the plasticity and lack of imagination of a section of the fanbase. But their criticism is not entirely without merit. As i said previously Legs in particular, and Jobi on occasion (amongst others, i am only singling out these two are as they seem to be the players McD rates as 'indnispensable' to the first team and therefore appear to have an immunity to deselection due to poor form) have shown themselves not to be up to the task at hand. This gives rise to the idea that their being consistently selected is either favouritism, which McD insists he does not approve of, or sentimentality. This is dangerous. If we'd fought the Falklands with Spirfires because they did well in WW2 it might have gone very differently. Crude metaphor maybe but it seems the club toally underestimated the gulf in class that accompanies the step up between the Championship and the Prem. Southampton spent millions upgrading their squad and aren't totally clear of the relegation dogfight, how could anyone possibly think we could get away with strengthening so little and expect anything other than what we've got? McD is unapologetic and almost bewildering dismissive of the trouble we're in. He refuses to point the finger of blame or accept its burden himself and the board are silent, so who can the fans blame?

Simply, yes.

This is what I was getting at in part of my last post. They get singled out because they are indispensable, but this is McDs fault. They should be dropped for the good of the team, for the good of RFC. Even if its not permanently but just for one or two games, to prove they are not above the other players. I seem to remember when Ledge was rested for one game this season, it proved a good decision as he was much better when he came back.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Mar 2013 23:23

Just seen the highlights. Looks like the usual mix with 4-4-2, we created a few decent chances - McAnuff and hrk seeming to cause pproblems. But we couldn't finish and defensively we were a shambles. Not pressing the ball or closing down as a team. Looked to me to be Kelly who lost his man for benteke's goal.

Hunt defo offside, Blackman should have headed across goal where someone (Alf? ) was waiting at an open net. Something I've noticed a few takes recently, him begging to bed fed in a great position and instead ignored for a weak opportunity.

Oh and I thought hunt was fouled by Luzon first half for a pen. But realistically that's never going to be given in a million years.

It looks to me that the best thing we could do to help our survival is hire a defensive coach who can drill positioning, tracking and pressing to defence and in particular midfield. Failing that, if McDermott could stop playing 4-sh1ting-4-2, that might also help. For all his good work, his brand of football is terrible and he seems to have a huge blind spot when it comes to the purpose of a central midfield.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 09 Mar 2013 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

royal67

by royal67 » 09 Mar 2013 23:25

Colin Cheeselog
royal67 I thought we looked better for the last 15 miuntes of the game when Guthrie replaced Legs. He's more mobile, get's forward and HE CAN PASS THE BALL.... Yes, Legs was great for us last season but perhaps that was his swansong ? He hasn't performed at this level sufficiently well enough and while Guthrie isn't the team player that he should be (and I suspect he'll be off at the end of the season) he is a genuine Premier league quality player. Football is a results business and people seem to have missed that fact somewhere along the line.......

What has Guthrie done to prove that he is a decent passer or that he's premier league quality? A few sideways passes don't make him Xavi. Had we signed him from an inferior team to us people's perception would be entirely different. In a Reading shirt he has done absolutely nothing and has been shown up by a player signed from Crawley. Does that make Akpan champions league quality?

At least he can complete a pass, Legs hasn't been able to do that with any confidence for some time. Where he was signed from makes no difference, he is either a better player than Legs or he is not. I think that he is. I also think that Akpan is a better player than Legs. Than kind of ruins your theory doesn't it.....?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 09 Mar 2013 23:28

Ian Royal Just seen the highlights. Looks like the usual mix with 4-4-2, we created a few decent chances - McAnuff and hrk seeming to cause pproblems. But we couldn't finish and defensively we were a shambles. Not pressing the ball or closing down as a team. Looked to me to be Kelly who lost his man for benteke's goal.

It looks to me that the best thing we could do to help our survival is hire a defensive coach who can drill positioning, tracking and pressing to defence and in particular midfield. Failing that, if McDermott could stop playing 4-sh1ting-4-2, that might also help. For all his good work, his brand of football is terrible and he seems to have a huge blind spot when it comes to the purpose of a central midfield.

I well remember Alan Pardew giving Martin Allen the boot, maybe BM should grow a pair and get rid of Nigel Gibbs , defensively we are a shambles

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 09 Mar 2013 23:30

And play who instead? Perhaps our saviour Guthrie can do some deadly sideways passing, or Karacan can run around in circles, McLeary can run down some blind alleys or Morrison can demonstrate some terrible positioning?

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 09 Mar 2013 23:31

Ian Royal Something I've noticed a few takes recently, him begging to bed fed in a great position and instead ignored for a weak opportunity.

Dont you mean you noticed me say it on the BFTG Everton thread...

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 09 Mar 2013 23:36

Ian Royal Just seen the highlights. Looks like the usual mix with 4-4-2, we created a few decent chances - McAnuff and hrk seeming to cause pproblems. But we couldn't finish and defensively we were a shambles. Not pressing the ball or closing down as a team. Looked to me to be Kelly who lost his man for benteke's goal.

Hunt defo offside, Blackman should have headed across goal where someone (Alf? ) was waiting at an open net. Something I've noticed a few takes recently, him begging to bed fed in a great position and instead ignored for a weak opportunity.

Oh and I thought hunt was fouled by Luzon first half for a pen. But realistically that's never going to be given in a million years.

was the disallowed goal offside?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Mar 2013 23:36

RoyallyFcuked
Ian Royal Something I've noticed a few takes recently, him begging to bed fed in a great position and instead ignored for a weak opportunity.

I've no idea who you are and have no recollection of ever seeing a post you've made. So no. Who'd have thought two people watching the same games could have a convergent thought.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Mar 2013 23:38

windermere_royal

Hunt defo offside,Blackman should have headed across goal where someone (Alf? ) was waiting at an open net. Something I've noticed a few takes recently, him begging to bed fed in a great position and instead ignored for a weak opportunity.

was the disallowed goal offside?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Mar 2013 23:40

I am a firm believer in supporters being able to - within reason - say what the damn hell they like if they pay good money to watch.

Equally I am at liberty to say that those of you who ironically cheered and jeered at Leigertwood's subsitution having earlier sang the name of Danny Guthrie - who, remember, didn't even want to play for us before Christmas - are an absolute disgrace and I dedicate our impending relegation to you.

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 09 Mar 2013 23:45

floyd__streete I am a firm believer in supporters being able to - within reason - say what the damn hell they like if they pay good money to watch.

Equally I am at liberty to say that those of you who ironically cheered and jeered at Leigertwood's subsitution having earlier sang the name of Danny Guthrie - who, remember, didn't even want to play for us before Christmas - are an absolute disgrace and I dedicate our impending relegation to you.

Well said.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 10 Mar 2013 00:03

Ian Royal
RoyallyFcuked

I've no idea who you are and have no recollection of ever seeing a post you've made. So no. Who'd have thought two people watching the same games could have a convergent thought.

I very much doubt that, Ive replied to stuff youve said before, and you replied to it. So this now makes me even more sure that my accusation is true.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 10 Mar 2013 00:07

MFW when we scored (lolz) only to concede a minute later:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 10 Mar 2013 00:20

Taylor: 6
Harte: 5
Pearce: 6
Mariappa: 6
Kelly: 6

McAnuff: 4
Akpan: 6
Leigertwood: 3
Robson-Kanu: 6

Hunt: 6
ALF: 6

McCleary: 6
Blackman: 6
Guthrie: 6

Piss poor team selection and subs from Brian today - the ease with which Villa managed this win was the writing on the wall that Brian has to go I'm afraid. Tactically naive, failure to react to the pattern of the game, a total lack of confidence in his management by the dissenting voices amongst the squad, the lack of celebration which was palpable by the players' reaction to our first goal and the DIRE football we play. Fair play to Brian for getting us up playing long ball football, but neither he nor the rest of the coaching staff possess the skills to play anything else other than percentage football which will never see us established in the Premiership.

Yes we are down, but now is the perfect opportunity to change our style of football like it should've been when we gave Coppell a chance too many - our squad should be good enough to see us back up if we play to its strengths and we can come back bigger and stronger. Time to write this season off, go back to the drawing board as far as coaching and management go and to push on from there. We'll be back.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 10 Mar 2013 00:39

What makes me laugh is accusations of loyalty at Brian yet fans have decided McAnuff isn't a worthy captain so boo him for only setting up the two goals, and laud Guthrie for coming on and instantly giving the ball away and continuing to do so for 10 crucial minutes.

However I was expecting to read more of the endless abuse of Leigertwood and McAnuff I heard at the stadium and on BBC berks,so its nice to see people being a bit more sensible on here.

Everyone tried today, we got one almighty bit of luck and then absolutely no more. Pogrebnyak is our only prem standard player and it showed. HRK had his usual excellent game so will be poor next one, and Blackman will be player of the season next year...

arthurfondrelli

by arthurfondrelli » 10 Mar 2013 00:43

RFC should auction off the chance to play as a left back for a premier league team, then use the funds to buy one for our Championship campaign

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 10 Mar 2013 01:30

LoyalRoyalFan Clearly people on here have won as many Championship titles as McDermott has. 24,000 people are obviously better managers than McDermott.

Correct subs, good decision by McDermott.

Even the away support. :lol:

225 posts