Chris Gunter

214 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Chris Gunter

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Sep 2013 19:37

joeroyal So Ian Harte lost his legs due to his age which I assume that is what you are referring to calling him an 87 year old. Well that doesn't make him a terrible defender he just wasn't cutting it at this level anymore.
If he didn't read the game so well he would not of lasted this long so think about what you are saying

Also

1. I never said we couldn't do better than Gunter, there is always someone better. I questioned your term 'terrible defender' used for the guy. How can one be that terrible to play at this level and hold down a number of international caps for wales. Are you going to say getting caps for wales is not achievement

2. I thought we were talking about Günter, not Blackmans and Jobi's game time and a striker turned winger if that's how you see it

Regarding your "getting caps for Wales is not achievement"-I give you as an example Hal Robson-Kanu.
Coming back to Gunter, Spurs saw the potential but fairly quickly ditched him and he had a good combination at Forest with McCleary ,good enough for us to sign both of them to play in the Premier League.
As others have said,a very athletic player going forward but not a clue about defending.
You don't get much for £2 million these days.

My point about Blackman actually being picked so often and Alf playing out of position was in response to your view that if Adkins picked a player that decision is irrefutable when clearly the man makes mistakes.
Unless we can get the Gunter/McCleary partnership working as well as it did at Forest I would prefer to see a proper defender at right-back,i.e Kelly

Sorry vic old chum you wont be seeing that. don't waste your time get out and about its a big world out there[/quote]

Well,well the manager has picked a proper right-back tonight-he must have taken notice of us.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Oct 2013 10:24

Thought he was class yesterday. Starting to prove the doubters wrong. No doubt the homophobes will still try and have a dig, but he's beginning to look the part. Can't be many better right backs in this league.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 20 Oct 2013 10:32

Agreed, he had a very good game yesterday.

As usual, all it took was a bit of motivational booing to encourage a player to pick up his performances.

Works every time.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 20 Oct 2013 10:42

Classic water bottle moment from Gunter yesterday.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Oct 2013 10:48

Not really tested defensively by Donny.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Oct 2013 11:24

True, but looked excellent going forward.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 20 Oct 2013 11:38

Pepe the Horseman True, but looked excellent going forward.

Does anybody think he could cross the ball more? On a number of occasions yesterday he appeared to be in a position to cross the ball but either cut inside or laid it back.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Oct 2013 11:52

Gunter is a good player with a lot of potential. He's good defensively and he's very good going forward. However, he has a big problem with lapses in concentration / casualness that means he'll make two or three dangerous mistakes most weeks. And they really are simple basic errors mostly. Loose passes to the opposition, passes into trouble, tripping over the ball, poor positioning. Making a foul throw yesterday for example.

In his defence he often doesn't get a lot of help from the player infront of him. McCleary, HRK and Obita are not great defensively. Drenthe could be a lot better too. Our fullbacks miss that side of McAnuff and Kebe's game sometimes.

Kelly is a better right back by some way. But he's not as pacey and attacking. It's clear Adkins prefers Gunter's style of attacking full back to Kelly's more reserved nature.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Oct 2013 13:05

Ian Royal Gunter is a good player with a lot of potential. He's good defensively and he's very good going forward. However, he has a big problem with lapses in concentration / casualness that means he'll make two or three dangerous mistakes most weeks. And they really are simple basic errors mostly. Loose passes to the opposition, passes into trouble, tripping over the ball, poor positioning. Making a foul throw yesterday for example.

In his defence he often doesn't get a lot of help from the player infront of him. McCleary, HRK and Obita are not great defensively. Drenthe could be a lot better too. Our fullbacks miss that side of McAnuff and Kebe's game sometimes.

Kelly is a better right back by some way. But he's not as pacey and attacking. It's clear Adkins prefers Gunter's style of attacking full back to Kelly's more reserved nature.

Spot on.

I'd prefer Kelly at RB any day. Wait till we play a half decent team and the holes will be exposed. Kelly gives me confidence at RB, Gunter is fine if we want a bit more attack against a weak team. And if we go up then it's Kelly at RB every time, unless Gunter cuts out his lapses.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 20 Oct 2013 14:07

Agree with the last two posts - I think with Gunter what's also being underplayed is his understanding with McCleary. If GM's playing in front of him he often looks a bit more solid and gets forward far more effectively as they know eachother well from their Forest days. When McCleary's not there, Gunter gets exposed (even more) so again I think it depends on who we're playing and whether we can afford to throw the kitchen sink at teams or whether we have to be more cautious in which case I'd pick Kelly every time.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 20 Oct 2013 14:19

Pepe the Horseman Thought he was class yesterday. Starting to prove the doubters wrong. No doubt the homophobes will still try and have a dig, but he's beginning to look the part. Can't be many better right backs in this league.

Have I missed something?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Oct 2013 14:27

I like Gunter and believe he is improving in leaps and bounds. That having been said, he does have the occasional lapse and I suspect he was the target of Adkins' wrath over the goal we conceded yesterday.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 20 Oct 2013 16:44

Lacoste
Pepe the Horseman Thought he was class yesterday. Starting to prove the doubters wrong. No doubt the homophobes will still try and have a dig, but he's beginning to look the part. Can't be many better right backs in this league.

Have I missed something?

I thought everybody knew

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Oct 2013 16:57

Clearly not.
When did those rumours start ?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 20 Oct 2013 17:19

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 Oct 2013 17:25

Seems football supporters are still unsettled by well-groomed men.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 20 Oct 2013 17:47

Handsome Man
Lacoste

Have I missed something?

I thought everybody knew

How about we all drop it and grow up a bit? Someone's sexuality has no place on a football message board!

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 20 Oct 2013 20:58

Ian Royal Gunter is a good player with a lot of potential. He's good defensively and he's very good going forward. However, he has a big problem with lapses in concentration / casualness that means he'll make two or three dangerous mistakes most weeks. And they really are simple basic errors mostly. Loose passes to the opposition, passes into trouble, tripping over the ball, poor positioning. Making a foul throw yesterday for example.

Gunter is improving all the time and long may it continue, great attitude. Having a marauding fullback to contend with as well as a winger will always cause problems, creates space and takes a game to the opposition.

Haha PS I love the shrewd opportunism to promote Jobi and demote his rival wingers. Very subtle :wink: Its becoming quite predictable now, everyone agreed Jobi played well when he came on. I thought all the wingers who played yesterday put in a shift to help out defensively

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Oct 2013 14:19

RoyalBlue I like Gunter and believe he is improving in leaps and bounds. That having been said, he does have the occasional lapse and I suspect he was the target of Adkins' wrath over the goal we conceded yesterday.

Agreed
And he defo had a lapse for the goal
Seemed to be easier to close down the player who scored and try to stop him shooting than to run towards the goal line, which is what he actually did.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 23 Oct 2013 13:49

Kelly> Gunter

Gunter has had 1 abover average game against Donny rovers, isn't exactly much of a positive

214 posts