BFTG Bournemouth - sponsored by no midfield

216 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Bournemouth - sponsored by no midfield

by Hoop Blah » 07 Dec 2013 20:51

howser All in all these reports give a pretty dismal account of our efforts today, lack lustre, no urgency, lack of effot etc.........all pretty synonymous with situations at clubs where there is a lot of behind the scenes disruption and uncertainty. As was said on this thread earlier TSI or AZ have to come out and say what the hell is going on, I guess that Anton was not in attendance again today ?

Adkins can only work with the players he is permitted, or finance permits, that he can bring in, I don't think that many on this site saw too much hope of bouncing back to the prem at the first attempt we were hopelessly outclassed last season and the squad is generally the same one. This has been going on long enough now, so do we get a statement from the above mentioned TSI or do we draw our own conclusions when the amount of activity, or more likely lack of it is concluded on Jan 31st ?

I agree with a lot of this and would add that, in Zingaravich's absence, Madejski's apathy towards Adkins and the new regime is possibly undermining what's going on. There is also a significant number of fans who haven't 'bought in' to life after McDermott and the loss of the Reading Way (and I don't just mean a few wind up posts on here).

I think these factors are t helping Adkins bed in all he wants to do and there clearly seems to be something holding us back at the moment, be that Adkins tinkering, some questionable selections, the injury list or just players adapting to the new system.

Today was a pretty unacceptable performance from players who should do a lot better than the insipid dross we sat through today.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 07 Dec 2013 20:57

Can't be bothered to find the post, but I remember a Saints fan sayin this'll happen with Adkis before it gets good.

Lets a least wait for Moyes to be sacked before we boot him.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 07 Dec 2013 20:58

Royal Ginger Can't be bothered to find the post, but I remember a Saints fan sayin this'll happen with Adkis before it gets good.

Lets a least wait for Moyes to be sacked before we boot him.

2 weeks then? :wink:

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 07 Dec 2013 21:01

Royal Rother
3points With Adkins, he changes the formation three or four times even within a game. No wonder the players lack confidence - they don't know what they need to do from one half to the next.

Do you think he's doing things differently now to when he was at Scunthorpe and Southampton?

There seems to be a myth that Adkins is about playing better football. But I do not remember Southampton playing better football than us when we played them in the championship--nor Scunthorpe. People often say we overachieved getting promoted; but Southampton were no better than us. If Adkins is associated with playing smarter football, how is it that Southampton improved in quality immediately Pochettino took over?

Listening to countless interviews with Adkins, I am starting to doubt that he has any particularly high intelligence as a coach. He talks simplistically, ramblingly, and in half-strung-together clichés. Coppell and McDermott were sages on the ear by comparison. If Adkins talks on the training pitch or in the dressing room the way he does to the media, then I doubt the ideas being passed to the players are anything much above bog-standard managerspeak. That is not to say Adkins cannot still do well and get promotion, but if so, it will be more in the Paul Jewell/Owen Coyle style than the Martinez/di Matteo.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 07 Dec 2013 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 07 Dec 2013 21:02

MmmMonsterMunch
AirRaidSiren
MmmMonsterMunch For the most part they absolutely did if you consider his entire tenure. It only went tits up once we went up. Even then, we started relatively brightly & didn't quite catch the breaks. I'll agree though that the 2nd part of the season wasn't great but they were all mentally shot to fcuk by then.

FTR - I'm not pro/anti NA or McD just calling it as I see it. I don't think the players are fully committed to the new regime / style of play / whatever you call it.

Er...No. For the most part? Shorey never did. There was a behind-the-scene 'fall out' with Guthrie. Just two examples that not ALL players gave 100%, did HRK? No. Pogrebnyak??? Really?? No.

Shorey, Pog & Guthrie were only signed for the PL season so you're wrong I'm afraid.

Looking at your first post again, I don't recall you mentioning any league we were in when you mentioned that under McDermott, at least all the players gave 100% commitment?

You're wrong. No point trying to avoid the answer I gave you, that ALL the players I mentioned gave 100% commitment to Brian or the club, when in fact, they didn't. Clearly.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Dec 2013 21:03

So annoyed tonight with the lack of commitment (unforgivable) and the casual way we attempted to stroll through the game seemingly believing that it would just come right because we were 5th and they were 19th.
I feared the worst when on BBCRB before the game they thought it would be an easy 3 points.

Long balls to Sharp-why?
Did Nigel forget to tell the players that Pog wasn't playing?

Would somebody PLEASE explain what Kanu does so well to be selected so often?
Does he have some hold over the manager?

Will Gunter one day tackle a player?

Does Nigel actually think that keeping the ball gives us points?

As Adie said,he couldn't believe that Gorkss thought we played well.
What planet are some of these players on?

Worst of all we had 2 shots on target v Charlton and now just 2 again today and that playing at home against teams in the bottom 6.
Never mind folks, Nigel implied that Akpan would be in the side next Saturday with Guthrie being suspended.

Not a great day for those of us loyal Royals living in Bournemouth.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 07 Dec 2013 21:04

For your benefit Air Raid:

For the most part they absolutely did if you consider his entire tenure.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 07 Dec 2013 21:06

First game of the season for me, plastic........yeah, yeah.

WTF was that? :shock:

If Adkins can't get the 18 players that were named in that squad playing at the 80% they should need to rise to against a team like Bournemouth then he really needs a much better coaching staff.

I understand the sentiment of resting players when you have some tougher games coming up but it defeats the object when you lose the supposedly easier games. For god sake put out the strongest side to win a game!

Love the possession football Nigel but can we play like a side that are 2-0 up once we actually are 2-0 up? If only we had an in form big target man that our array of wingers could have aimed for today!

Team selection wrong
Tactics wrong

:|

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 07 Dec 2013 21:07

Sanguine
3points Really poor - and Guthrie was at the heart of it all. Enough said. I expect to be shot down in flames, but I think Guthrie is the problem with the team. Plays too deep, plays his team mates into problem positions, can't tackle but worst of all, kills all attacking momentum by constantly going sideways or backwards. In this league teams find it easy to defend if they are all facing the opposition. You need to get them turned. But our slow passing approach just allows teams to get numbers behind the ball and we then don't have a play maker to break teams down. Possession is good, if you do something with it. Will be interesting to see what happens next week as he's suspended I think now. for a game.

Our inability to even get any benefit from a throw in just about sums it all up for me.

Utterly wrong.

You're advocating two flat banks of four. Exactly the sort of football that will get us relegated, nevermind playoffs. It's only a slow passing approach because every time our playmaker gets the ball, he looks at two static wingers, a midfield partner picking his nose, and two strikers waiting for a hoof upfield. Drenthe spent more time in 20 minutes playing in the channels and between attack and midfield, than the rest of the attacking 6 did in the whole game.

When Guthrie has options he always gets rid of it very quickly. If he has no-one to pass to, what do you expect him to do with it?

A player who has been out for a while (especially with a big rep) is always welcome back when the team are not performing and this sometimes happens. Was that his first assist and has he been on the scoresheet this season

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Dec 2013 21:07

Pedestrian, predictable, toothless.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 07 Dec 2013 21:15

facaldaqui
Royal Rother
3points With Adkins, he changes the formation three or four times even within a game. No wonder the players lack confidence - they don't know what they need to do from one half to the next.

Do you think he's doing things differently now to when he was at Scunthorpe and Southampton?

There seems to be a myth that Adkins is about playing better football. But I do not remember Southampton playing better football than us when we played them in the championship--nor Scunthorpe. People often say we overachieved getting promoted; but Southampton were no better than us. If Adkins is associated with playing smarter football, how is it that Southampton improved in quality immediately Pochettino took over?

Listening to countless interviews with Adkins, I am starting to doubt that he has any particularly high intelligence as a coach. He talks simplistically, ramblingly, and in half-strung-together clichés. Coppell and McDermott were sages on the ear by comparison. If Adkins talks on the training pitch or in the dressing room the way he does to the media, then I doubt the ideas being passed to the players are anything much above bog-standard managerspeak. That is not to say Adkins cannot still do well and get promotion, but if so, it will be more in the Paul Jewell/Owen Coyle style than the Martinez/di Matteo.

Good post.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 07 Dec 2013 21:16

MmmMonsterMunch For your benefit Air Raid:

For the most part they absolutely did if you consider his entire tenure.

:roll:

Anyway, most of your posts I agree with.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 07 Dec 2013 21:17

howser All in all these reports give a pretty dismal account of our efforts today, lack lustre, no urgency, lack of effot etc.........all pretty synonymous with situations at clubs where there is a lot of behind the scenes disruption and uncertainty. As was said on this thread earlier TSI or AZ have to come out and say what the hell is going on, I guess that Anton was not in attendance again today ??

:lol: Not a chance we'll see Anton ever again. Complete and utter charlatan.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 07 Dec 2013 21:30

facaldaqui
Royal Rother

*Inserts clapping gif*

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 07 Dec 2013 21:33

[quote="facaldaqui"][quote="Royal Rother"][quote="3points"]With Adkins, he changes the formation three or four times even within a game. No wonder the players lack confidence - they don't know what they need to do from one half to the next.[/quote]

Do you think he's doing things differently now to when he was at Scunthorpe and Southampton?[/quote]

Listening to countless interviews with Adkins, I am starting to doubt that he has any particularly high intelligence as a coach. He talks simplistically, ramblingly, and in half-strung-together clichés. Coppell and McDermott were sages on the ear by comparison. If Adkins talks on the training pitch or in the dressing room the way he does to the media, then I doubt the ideas being passed to the players are anything much above bog-standard managerspeak. That is not to say Adkins cannot still do well and get promotion, but if so, it will be more in the Paul Jewell/Owen Coyle style than the Martinez/di Matteo.[/quote]

Could not agree with more with this assessment of Adkins. I don't know where this notion that he is a 'thinker' when it comes to football comes from. As the above poster says he talks in rambling cliches and,frankly, comes across as a bit of a dimwit to me. The kind of person who gets promoted in an organisation because he can convince a few gullible people in an interview (I've worked for several people like this in the past and to be honest I don't blame them but rather the foolishness of those who recruited them) but turns out to be two dimensional in practice...oh, hang on.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 07 Dec 2013 21:55

Jesus Christ. Calm down. We lost and played shite, it happened under Coppell, Rogers, Brian and it'll happen under Adkins too. This season hasn't gone as well as we'd have hoped and yet we're still 6th in a play-off place. And some of you are calling for his head.

I bet the people criticising Adkins for constantly changing tactics are the same people who criticised McDermott for having no plan B. Personally I think Adkins should be doing better with the squad he has, and I don't think he's improved on Brian significantly at all, but he's right when he says 'goals change games'. It happened against Wednesday and it happened today, we were very unfortunate to concede given our dominance, especially two in quick succession. Yes yes the defence should be better and we should create more chances but we were controlling both games until a sucker punch. It's very easy to see that we're losing games we should win and ultimately crucify the manager when the players and luck decide what happens on the pitch.

Fortunately results went our way today and we didn't lose too much ground on those above us, but we'll need to make up for it with a few more Forest-esque results if we want to see progress.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Dec 2013 21:55

WestRoyal Utterly wrong.

You're advocating two flat banks of four. Exactly the sort of football that will get us relegated, nevermind playoffs. It's only a slow passing approach because every time our playmaker gets the ball, he looks at two static wingers, a midfield partner picking his nose, and two strikers waiting for a hoof upfield. Drenthe spent more time in 20 minutes playing in the channels and between attack and midfield, than the rest of the attacking 6 did in the whole game.

When Guthrie has options he always gets rid of it very quickly. If he has no-one to pass to, what do you expect him to do with it?

Never said anything about formation.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 07 Dec 2013 21:56

Guthrie been our best player this season. Terrible today though.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Dec 2013 21:58

Terrible Tuesday too

Player of the season?

A long way to go yet

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 07 Dec 2013 22:01

Drenthe looked fatter than he did before the injury. In no shape to start a game.

216 posts