To all the boo boys:

139 posts
3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: To all the boo boys:

by 3points » 22 Dec 2013 17:24

2 world wars, 1 world cup How on earth is it Cummings' fault that he is not playing well because his manager isn't given the money to get a proper left back?
Liverpool and Chelsea seem to be doing OK with right footed left backs at the moment.

winchester_royal Indeed, genuine chucking at the idea that Adkins will have been expecting Pearce take the ball down and pass the ball in two swift touches. It should have been cleared, Pearce let it bounce and he paid the price. A typical defener error. Very harsh to blame it on Adkins. He wants the defenders to be comfortable passing it around the back, not to start taking unneccessary risks when the ball is played behind them.
Definitely think Pearce would have done something different under McD, but I hope he'll learn from the mistake. In those conditions the manager / coaches should be making a "safety first" policy very clear.

I think Guthrie started playing better after he got booed yesterday for playing yet another backwards pass to Pearce around about 35 mins into the game. He looked at the North Stand with complete shock on his face but he definitely started trying to play the ball forwards more after that and looked better for it

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Dec 2013 17:34

3points
winchester_royal Indeed, genuine chucking at the idea that Adkins will have been expecting Pearce take the ball down and pass the ball in two swift touches. It should have been cleared, Pearce let it bounce and he paid the price. A typical defener error. Very harsh to blame it on Adkins. He wants the defenders to be comfortable passing it around the back, not to start taking unneccessary risks when the ball is played behind them.
Definitely think Pearce would have done something different under McD, but I hope he'll learn from the mistake. In those conditions the manager / coaches should be making a "safety first" policy very clear.

How long has Pearce been attached to and coached by a professional club? And he still needs a manager/coach to explain to him when he should adopt a "safety first" policy i.e. when facing your own goal, the ball has come over your shoulder and a striker is closing you down quickly. :shock:

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Dec 2013 17:43

RoyalBlue How long has Pearce been attached to and coached by a professional club? And he still needs a manager/coach to explain to him when he should adopt a "safety first" policy i.e. when facing your own goal, the ball has come over your shoulder and a striker is closing you down quickly.

You have to remember most pro footballers don't have two brain cells to rub together. :lol: He can probably only think about one thing at a time, and that's to run to the corner of the penalty box for goal kicks :wink:

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 22 Dec 2013 17:53

Royal Lady I didn't go yesterday and I've hardly been all season since witnessing some of the dross that has been served up since August. However, as I have a ST it doesn't affect the club and I'm not able to "make a point" other than have an empty seat because they've already had my money up front. I wouldn't boo at any point during a game, it's not my style, but I fully understand those who do - it's frustration but I don't see why the players would be shocked by it, unless they think they're so bloody good, they don't realise how rubbish they've been playing. I think some of the players need bringing down a peg or two. They might be very well paid, but they're not earning their money at the moment imo. Whether this is a combination of not being particularly good players anyway, lack of motivation from the manager, unrest due to knowing more than us about what's going on behind the scenes - I don't know. But as always, without the fan, there is no club and there is not the money to pay their over-inflated wages. I've heard of one particular player who enjoys asking people "don't you know who I am?" when he's out and about in Reading. To that matey I'd say, be very careful because very soon, hardly anyone WILL know who you are. Keep your head down, work as hard as you can and try and have more affinity with the club you are playing for - then you might get a bit of kudos. If I were you, I wouldn't be drawing people to my attention when you consider your current lack of ability/popularity with fans.

I'll probably go to the Forest game, but I won't be expecting to see a great game of football unfortunately. What I do want to see is every single player giving his all, not giving up and trying to LOOK like a professional footballer on the pitch. :roll:

Completely agree. I didn't actually boo, but I don't have a problem with other people doing it. Yesterday was just more of the same dross from our lot, pass the ball around the back, pass it to a "wide man" who then walks down towards the opposition half, gets closed down, plays the ball back to the back five and someone hoofs it long. I think most people pay money to watch games of football hoping to see something that actually resembles a team either trying to score or if their too poor to do that prevent the opposition scoring. Until recently our lack of any effective attack hasn't been coupled with shocking defending.

Thing is I'd rather see a team of average players giving it their all and losing than see this current group strolling about (with a few exceptions) looking like if they just pass the ball on to someone or hit a long ball eventually we win the game by default just because we used to be in the Premiership. This team lacks leadership and experience in my opinion and looks disjointed for it.

I really don't think it's a case of young or newer fans booing. There are fans round me who have come for donkeys years who all feel the same about the current "team".

It was a combination of the booing they got and some half-hearted attempts at support from the stands early in the second half that spurred them on. Certain players then actually showed some willingness to get things moving at something other than walking speed.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Dec 2013 17:55

RoyalBlue
How long has Pearce been attached to and coached by a professional club? And he still needs a manager/coach to explain to him when he should adopt a "safety first" policy i.e. when facing your own goal, the ball has come over your shoulder and a striker is closing you down quickly. :shock:

I'm sure he doesn't need it explained to him. The problem is when a manager comes in and complicates everything so much that people become uncertain of what they're required to do and mistakes like yesterday happen because you're being told to go against what you've been taught.
Last edited by sandman on 22 Dec 2013 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Dec 2013 17:57

Cureton's Volley
dizzynewheights The whinging boo boys weren't here ten years ago

Bullshit.

Worst case of self-deprecating booing I heard at the Madstad was on 26/12/03 - Exactly ten years ago on Thursday.

Reading's crowd ironically cheering each pass as Wimbledon dominated possession, singing "you're not fit to wear the hoops", and ironically 'celebrating' Wimbledon's third goal against us in the dying moments.

Far and away the worst example of fvckwittery by our fans ever. If I had lower self esteem I would have been embarrassed

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 22 Dec 2013 18:03

Silver Fox
Cureton's Volley

Bullshit.

Worst case of self-deprecating booing I heard at the Madstad was on 26/12/03 - Exactly ten years ago on Thursday.

Reading's crowd ironically cheering each pass as Wimbledon dominated possession, singing "you're not fit to wear the hoops", and ironically 'celebrating' Wimbledon's third goal against us in the dying moments.

Far and away the worst example of fvckwittery by our fans ever. If I had lower self esteem I would have been embarrassed

That was dire. The team and the reaction...

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 22 Dec 2013 18:23

Cureton's Volley

Bullshit.

Coincidentally my first game! :D :D

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 22 Dec 2013 20:09

St. Brynjar
Cureton's Volley

Bullshit.

And you came back!? :o :wink:

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 23 Dec 2013 07:45

Football is about opinions after all every one who watches thinks they can manage better than their clubs manager.

If people can tell me the fans have been entertained this season watching the team play the slow motion pass is it backwards and sideways style of football with no momentum or tempo then they have been watching a different team play.

We have had one good half of football this season Watford at home the first 45 minutes were outstanding. Find that again the boos will stop!!

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 23 Dec 2013 11:16

It seems that there are certain folk on here that are never happier than when they're complaining about other fans.

And yes, I know that I'm now moaning about fans moaning about fans.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 23 Dec 2013 12:15

wingnut It seems that there are certain folk on here that are never happier than when they're complaining about other fans.

And yes, I know that I'm now moaning about fans moaning about fans.

FYI - I was booing out loud (BOL) while I read your post

Caversham Royal

by Caversham Royal » 23 Dec 2013 14:42

southstand67
Caversham Royal The Le Fondre chants straight after the penalty miss were poor. I'm more thinking about the rather patronising & superior tone of these 'if you boo you're obviously not a real fan' threads. The penalty miss was embarrassing though...

But what does booing achieve Cav? Just demoralises the side doesn't it? If our support was louder it wouldn't be so bad, but that boo at half time was louder than any of our support throughout the game!

I haven't said booing achieves anything, just that folk starting these "I'm a far better, more grown up fan than you because..." threads every time there is any of that during a game achieves just as little. Having had a nose through a lot of the comments since Saturday, it seems a few others think similar.

Blue Hooped Moose
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Blue Hooped Moose » 23 Dec 2013 15:07

Get in the game Jones!!

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 23 Dec 2013 16:19

Cureton's Volley
St. Brynjar
Cureton's Volley

Bullshit.

And you came back!? :o :wink:

I did. I had no idea what a good/bad performance looked like so I came away with a grin saying 'it was only 3-0!'. It took me about 11 Reading games to see my first win haha

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 24 Dec 2013 15:17

Folk can boo players if they want to. I can boo my own child at the nativity if I so wish.

Not sure what effect I'd be looking to achieve, though.

Always interesting to hear fans condemn the mercenary nature of football players and then with the next hilariously fickle breath jeer the same players they are demanding loyalty from.

Who are they sticking around for? The fans? The fans turn on players in a heartbeat. Take the money and run, footballers.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 24 Dec 2013 15:22

Extended-Phenotype Folk can boo players if they want to. I can boo my own child at the nativity if I so wish.

Great comparison mate.
Identical situations.
Well played.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 24 Dec 2013 16:03

Extended-Phenotype Folk can boo players if they want to. I can boo my own child at the nativity if I so wish.

Always interesting to hear fans condemn the mercenary nature of football players and then with the next hilariously fickle breath jeer the same players they are demanding loyalty from.

Who are they sticking around for? The fans? The fans turn on players in a heartbeat. Take the money and run, footballers.

'Greed. Fans pay a lot of money and put in a lot of hours to watch football, and (within reason) are entitled to do whatever they want, but that doesn't mean that booing the team everytime things aren't going well is the right course of action. Call me old fashioned, but as 'supporters' I do believe our role is to turn up and support the players rather than rocking up and expecting to be entertained and having a hissy fit when that doesn't happen. Getting on the players backs will only lead to lower confidence levels, more mistakes, and worse performances..which will in turn lead to more booing and the diabolic loop continues.

Reading fans aren't alone in this though. It seems to be a problem that is rife in modern football. For example some Southampton fans booed their team off after the 3-2 defeat to Spurs on Sunday. Daft on so many levels.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 24 Dec 2013 16:06

winchester_royal

'Greed. Fans pay a lot of money and put in a lot of hours to watch football, and (within reason) are entitled to do whatever they want, but that doesn't mean that booing the team everytime things aren't going well is the right course of action. Call me old fashioned, but as 'supporters' I do believe our role is to turn up and support the players rather than rocking up and expecting to be entertained and having a hissy fit when that doesn't happen. Getting on the players backs will only lead to lower confidence levels, more mistakes, and worse performances..which will in turn lead to more booing and the diabolic loop continues.

Reading fans aren't alone in this though. It seems to be a problem that is rife in modern football. For example some Southampton fans booed their team off after the 3-2 defeat to Spurs on Sunday. Daft on so many levels.

There's a difference between booing one poor performance on the back of 10 good performances and booing a poor performance on the back of many poor performances.

The ''You can't expect it to be quality entertainment every week' argument does not apply.
I've seen about 45 mins of high quality entertainment all season.
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 24 Dec 2013 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo

by Jimbo » 24 Dec 2013 16:08

It wasn't so much the booing that was tragic, it was the Adam LeFondre chant started by the East (closely followed by those fecking sheep in the North) straight after Sharp missed his penalty.

This is an experienced Championship goal scorer who has expressed a desire to stay with us, who we will need next season. Good job convincing him to stay everyone. You mongs.

Yes, he had a poor game, but please remind me what goldenballs LeFondre did for us when he actually came on?

You can throw any stats you want at me, but IMHO Sharp is the better Championship striker.

139 posts