Time for fans to stand up and be counted

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Time for fans to stand up and be counted

by stealthpapes » 06 May 2014 11:28

Where does the administration thing come from?

Anyway, I felt gutted back when we lost to Burnley immediately after getting relegated. That felt like we would never repeat what we'd done before. We'd settle back to the mid-ranks of the Championship, flirt with relegation some seasons and play-offs the others. Malaise forever seemed to be the prognosis.

Caption: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The run from, well, Liverpool at home in the FA Cup in January 2010 to, I guess, the 2-2 draw at Chelsea in January 2013 is basically my favourite spell as a Reading fan. Great away games, young players making the squad, a sense of teamwork and a young, British manager at the helm, playing good - if a bit simplistic - football.

Now, I'm not the most regular attending Reading fan but I'm struggling to see why this time round is worse than last time. Sure, I don't expect a repeat of the McDermott years but equally, this seasons games that I've watched reminded me of that season before 05-06 where it just seemed to be a shambolic omnimess, where good players were bulked out into a squad with dross such as Lloyd Owusu, Dean Morgan and that streak of piss Brooker.

I'm not optimistic.
I'm not pessimistic.

Whatever happens next, happens and if that's a fraction as much fun to watch as the period I've detailed above then

BRING

IT

ON
Last edited by stealthpapes on 06 May 2014 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

liamobey

by liamobey » 06 May 2014 11:28

maffff Over the bank holiday weekend I stood up, got counted then couldn't stand up anymore.

That deserves a :D

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 May 2014 11:30

Brendy, I spend very little else at the ground these days, don't by the kit and try to blank out the rest of the marketing and hype.

All of that lessons the appeal and the draw of football for many though.

Take a look round and see how the demographic has changed (in some ways for the better) and think about how many of your peers have stopped making the effort to go. In my case there used to be a group of about 15/20 of us who all bought season tickets in the same area having. That's down to about 8 or 9 now. Various reasons for quitting, not just cost, but speaking to other people, and hearing the likes of Big Foot and Mr Angry saying the same, it seems a bit of a trend.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 May 2014 11:39

stealthpapes Where does the administration thing come from?

Now, I'm not the most regular attending Reading fan but I'm struggling to see why this time round is worse than last time.

There have been rumours circulating for months that without the Zingarvich money we have serious issues financially and that's why there are the fears that this time around the impact of relegation and not going back up might be more threatening (that and the notion that our high wage earners are on more than the likes of Doyle and Hunt and nobody is going to be intersted in taking them off our hands at a time when we need to cut costs).

liamobey

by liamobey » 06 May 2014 11:41

I don't go to football because I don't really like Reading fans, to be honest.
I'd prefer to just go in upper west and watch the game quietly with no dinlos, (east) kids running about, (north and south) slagging off every player whenever he touches the ball. (lower west) My modest wage doesn't allow me this privilege and so I'll watch the games on Twitter or TV.
Rarely listen to the games on radio as the bias is cringe worthy. I'm not one to get on refs' backs at all, that area of football politics is obsolete in my mind. Even if it WAS a stonewall pen it WASN'T given so that's the end of the story.
No change for me. I'll be doing the same next season. Probably drive to a few away games and go when a freebie comes up for the homies.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 May 2014 11:42

maffff Over the bank holiday weekend I stood up, got counted then couldn't stand up anymore.

:D :D :D

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 May 2014 11:45

Hoop Blah Brendy, I spend very little else at the ground these days, don't by the kit and try to blank out the rest of the marketing and hype.

Take a look round and see how the demographic has changed (in some ways for the better) and think about how many of your peers have stopped making the effort to go. In my case there used to be a group of about 15/20 of us who all bought season tickets in the same area having. That's down to about 8 or 9 now. Various reasons for quitting, not just cost, but speaking to other people, and hearing the likes of Big Foot and Mr Angry saying the same, it seems a bit of a trend.

this happens constantly though
people grow up and their priorities change
its very tempting to blame events at the club for it, and no doubt those leaving in droves will increase in bad years and increase in good years
luckily we have more youngsters than ever being indoctrinated at the club as we speak, so the supply line is strong

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 06 May 2014 11:55

I like Snowball's idea of going into Administration as soon as the playoffs became unreachable. Was the idea that waving McCarthy out of goal would allow us to concede several times, in order to delay the final whistle long enough to file the relevant paper work?

Sadly I think the FA would have called Shenanigans and sent us into League 2. I think it was Boston Utd that actually tried this and got a double relegation for their trouble...

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 May 2014 12:03

melonhead
Hoop Blah Brendy, I spend very little else at the ground these days, don't by the kit and try to blank out the rest of the marketing and hype.

this happens constantly though
people grow up and their priorities change
its very tempting to blame events at the club for it, and no doubt those leaving in droves will increase in bad years and increase in good years
luckily we have more youngsters than ever being indoctrinated at the club as we speak, so the supply line is strong

Agree, to an extent, and jobs and kids caused a couple to quit at least, but as much as many just drift away I do think the change in how football is these days has increased that trend.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 May 2014 12:06

the audience for modern football is much broader nowadays though, so it probably at least evens out, as is demonstrated by our average gates over the years

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 May 2014 12:13

In the good times yes, but I think my point was that as football becomes more of an expensive leisure activity as opposed to the more tibal hobby and addiction the success elasticity of attendances will probably change for the worse.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 06 May 2014 12:19

sandman Funnily enough though I share many of the same opinions on what is now last season that you do and have agreed with most of what you've posted, especially on Adkins.

Yeah only joking, I enjoy the bantz tbh. Of course you agree with much that I have posted.....who wouldn't?

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 06 May 2014 12:23

stealthpapes Where does the administration thing come from?
Most of the cash is now owed to TSI in the form of loans previously owed to JM.
If TSI allow us to go into administration they will effectively be writing off the £m's owed to them and see their shares worth next to nothing, same with SJM's shares.

I don't see it happening, as long as the club can tick over and no 3rd party is owed any significant sum of money which can not be repaid, even then they might not want to risk losing it all and getting 5p for every £1 owed or whatever.

Before administration we will sell assets and make cut-backs.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 06 May 2014 12:33

Royal Biscuitman Before administration we will sell assets and make cut-backs.

IN for this.

Literally anyone can go, provided Drenthe, Bridge, Guthrie and (regrettably) Pog are top of the list. Be sad to see Obita and AMc go, marginally less sad but still something of a shame to see Pearce and HRK and any other academy graduate leave. Akpan? Gunther? Blackman? Pfffffff, so long.

If we sack off at least 3 of the 'big 4' listed above (and this must include Drenthe) then I might consider renewing, so long as I get a letter of apology from each and every Nobber who has disagreed with my ultimately correct analyses and prophesies (pessimism, as some of you would call it) at various junctures during this awful season. Nothing special needed, just fill out a pro-forma and ping it into my inbox for me to save and post up when we disagree in the future.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 06 May 2014 13:04

lol

fruits

by fruits » 06 May 2014 13:57

Would someone please explain to me, why the lousy Russian still owns the club? He defaulted on the final payment so surely he is out of the equation, I know he owned 51% and failed to pay for the remaining 49%. I can´t believe Sir Mad never allowed for Zigaravich not completing the deal and leaving us in the mire . RFC is like the Titanic, sinking fast. With the history of Russians owning British football clubs, the subsequent actions and inactions of Zigaravich were only too predictable.

If I promise to buy a house, do not complete on time any monies I have paid are lost. End of story.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 06 May 2014 14:02

Fruits wrote: Would someone please explain to me, why the lousy Russian still owns the club? He defaulted on the final payment so surely he is out of the equation, I know he owned 51% and failed to pay for the remaining 49%. I can´t believe Sir Mad never allowed for Zigaravich not completing the deal and leaving us in the mire . RFC is like the Titanic, sinking fast. With the history of Russians owning British football clubs, the subsequent actions and inactions of Zigaravich were only too predictable.

If I promise to buy a house, do not complete on time any monies I have paid are lost. End of story.

Do you get Radio Berks in Spain as this is was how Mick Gooding, Tim Dellor and Adie Williams positioned the failed takeover by Anton Zingarovich after Saturdays game!!

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 06 May 2014 14:02

floyd__streete
Royal Biscuitman Before administration we will sell assets and make cut-backs.

IN for this.

Literally anyone can go
Sadly, I suspect it will be the training ground or the car park/land around the stadium sold as a site for offices.... maybe even the stadium, with the club becoming tenants..... all proceeds used to pay back loans to TSI.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 May 2014 15:54

Schards#2 As things currently stand, next season is likely to be the most challanging the club has faced for over a decade. With an absent owner and the likelyhood of a takeover hugely diminished by todays outcome, there is likely to be a large exodus of players and the ongoing directionless drift that having an owner who doesn't give a toss ensures.

In the circumstances, i'm dissapointed to hear fan after fan announcing that they won't be renewing their season ticket/won't be going to games next season like it's some sort of badge of honour. As fans, we've had a decade of either being in the premiership or challanging for the premiership. It's easy to support a club in these circumstances, it's unlikely to be so easy next year.

So, to quote Delia, come on, lets be havin' you. If your a supporter of this club, give it your support when it needs it most, stand up and be counted and commit yourself to next season. It's going to be tough but Sir John and the club needs your support like never before this century.

Obv's, It's your money and your choice but I would urge you all to stand up and be counted and back the club in its hour of need.

LOL @ "stand up and be counted"

I do what's best for me, not Reading FC. And that's been spending my time and money elsewhere for at least a decade or so.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 06 May 2014 16:02

Green
Schards#2 As things currently stand, next season is likely to be the most challanging the club has faced for over a decade. With an absent owner and the likelyhood of a takeover hugely diminished by todays outcome, there is likely to be a large exodus of players and the ongoing directionless drift that having an owner who doesn't give a toss ensures.

In the circumstances, i'm dissapointed to hear fan after fan announcing that they won't be renewing their season ticket/won't be going to games next season like it's some sort of badge of honour. As fans, we've had a decade of either being in the premiership or challanging for the premiership. It's easy to support a club in these circumstances, it's unlikely to be so easy next year.

So, to quote Delia, come on, lets be havin' you. If your a supporter of this club, give it your support when it needs it most, stand up and be counted and commit yourself to next season. It's going to be tough but Sir John and the club needs your support like never before this century.

Obv's, It's your money and your choice but I would urge you all to stand up and be counted and back the club in its hour of need.

LOL @ "stand up and be counted"

I do what's best for me, not Reading FC. And that's been spending my time and money elsewhere for at least a decade or so.

Fair play to you but, in that case, you're not really my target audience for this post.