Wolves - back from the sofa

196 posts
Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Wolves - back from the sofa

by Schards#2 » 28 Sep 2014 20:57

More creative than I've seen us for several years but, simultaneously extremely shaky at the back.

Not sure where we are going to end up but I'm loving the entertainment value this season.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 28 Sep 2014 21:06

Really enjoyed the peaceful prematch sat outside with a beer in the sun. No shit music. No back the boys twàt.

Was the atmosphere really any worse for the lack of goal music or other aural gimmicks?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Sep 2014 21:08

winchester_royal
CayeneMatt
sandman Just watched the first half back (I am that sad) and still can't for the life of me work out why Adkins decided to bring his mohawked lovechild on.

I sit very close to the bench so hear a lot of what Adkins and Croft say. For the final 10 mins of the 1st half, Adkins was chewing the arse off of Akpan. Literally losing the plot and screaming at him like Ive not seen before. He wasn't pressing, moving, picking up his man and some bad ball control just before HT right under Adkins nose was the final straw.

Agree with him tbh. Akpan wasn't doing a 'holding' job, or breaking up play. He was getting caught up field and losing the ball consistently leaving us totally exposed. Granted Guthrie was utter dogshit in those first 15 mins but the decision to take Akpan off was the right one. Just need more depth in midfield.

Agreed again.

I know Taylor scored but he and Akpan should be no where near the 18 never mind starting.

Williams/Karacan and Mccleary will change dynamics of that team when fit.

Pearce also is on borrowed time.

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 28 Sep 2014 21:09

Royal Rother I enjoyed the game.

We played some splendid stuff in parts and looked a good side. Cut out the individual errors and we'd probably be a Top 6 team. There's plenty enough promise and 33 games left for that development to take place. Muppets writing us off from promotion already are pathetic and obviously exceptionally slow learners.

The fact we have had so many injuries and blooded so many youngsters yet are still in the top half indicate the management and coaching staff are doing a very decent job.

Individual errors can be sorted out, lack of talent can't be and we are not really suffering in the latter IMO.

Every team in every game of football ever played will have had players who failed to play at their best. So what if we had a few today. Get over it - it's sport. It's life.

It was an entertaining game and a point gained.

keep your well thought out opinions to yourself

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Sep 2014 21:13

Enjoyed today. Thought wolves were the best team to visit the Mad Stad so far this season

Didn't think Akpan was having a great game, especially his first touch, but didn't agree with Guthrie coming on though. As has been said we just lost our shape and you realise how slow (mentally and physically) Guthrie is. He should take a lot of the blame for their first goal as he gave the ball away very cheaply.

Thought Obita did ok today, apart from clearly not having a right foot. Didn't get forward as much as normal but their right back did push on a lot.

Spoke to my dad after the game who saw it on TV and isn't a Reading fan. He thought it was very entertaining and reckoned we could do with a right back! Gunter has been utter dross so far this season. Why does he insist on going backwards all the time? Just doesn't appear to have any confidence. Maybe someone else should be given the armband?

Martin41

by Martin41 » 28 Sep 2014 21:17

floyd__streete 15 minutes after half time was excruciating, Wolves could have scored 5 in that period, we were shambolic. Pearce particularly awful.

Passing sluggish and slow throughout. We're very one paced.

Guthrie made Akpan look good. You've been a consistently rotten egg for our club, just f*ck off elsewhere.....it has been awful.

Good to see Blackman is still utter, utter sh*t.

We have been consistently bad defensively since the start of the Adkins regime. His assistant Crosby was allegedly a centre half during his career, so why do we concede so often and so badly?

Very fortunate result.

Do you ever have anything positive to say??? Jesus it's all this is crap that's crap, he's not good enough....blah, blah, blah!!!!

RoyalAuzzie

by RoyalAuzzie » 28 Sep 2014 21:19

Thought a point is what we deserved for that performance. I like the possession based football Adkins is trying to influence on the team. Think Norwood controls that aspect exceptionally well. Can't wait to see Karacan and Williams return, I like the thought of that midfield trio. Glad to finally see we are looking a real threat whenever we enter the oppo's half, especially with such a young squad with so many injuries. We are vulnerable down the flanks and the ball over the top caused us problems aswell. Hopefully a couple of handy additions in Jan will help to ease those frailties. Overall, great entertainment and really do think the future is as bright as it has been in a long time for Reading FC. Concentrate on next game as that is all we can do now.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 28 Sep 2014 21:23

RoyalAuzzie Thought a point is what we deserved for that performance. I like the possession based football Adkins is trying to influence on the team. Think Norwood controls that aspect exceptionally well. Can't wait to see Karacan and Williams return, I like the thought of that midfield trio. Glad to finally see we are looking a real threat whenever we enter the oppo's half, especially with such a young squad with so many injuries. We are vulnerable down the flanks and the ball over the top caused us problems aswell. Hopefully a couple of handy additions in Jan will help to ease those frailties. Overall, great entertainment and really do think the future is as bright as it has been in a long time for Reading FC. Concentrate on next game as that is all we can do now.

A newbie coming on here and talking sense, how dare you.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Sep 2014 21:31

Ian Royal
leon
SCIAG I would suggest that the number of poor performances Guthrie has put in over the past two years could be counted on one person's fingers. And one of the hands wouldn't have much to do.

Or, put it another way, we've had about the same number of bad performances from Guthrie as we have had good ones from Akpan.

Baffled by this comment. When has Guthrie played well?

Frequently. Was an early PotS contender last year.

Was he f uck. He slowed our game down with his insistence that everything went through him, his multiple touches followed by signposted cross field balls and his constant berating of his team mates.

Our form rapidly improved when he got injured and Williams and Akpan formed a decent partnership.

and he had that ridiculous haircut the twat.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 28 Sep 2014 21:42

+1

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 28 Sep 2014 21:49

windermere_royal
RoyalAuzzie Thought a point is what we deserved for that performance. I like the possession based football Adkins is trying to influence on the team. Think Norwood controls that aspect exceptionally well. Can't wait to see Karacan and Williams return, I like the thought of that midfield trio. Glad to finally see we are looking a real threat whenever we enter the oppo's half, especially with such a young squad with so many injuries. We are vulnerable down the flanks and the ball over the top caused us problems aswell. Hopefully a couple of handy additions in Jan will help to ease those frailties. Overall, great entertainment and really do think the future is as bright as it has been in a long time for Reading FC. Concentrate on next game as that is all we can do now.

A newbie coming on here and talking sense, how dare you.

Yeah. Someone tell him to oxf*rd off

@sonkimarsson

by @sonkimarsson » 28 Sep 2014 21:52

My main highlight of the day? The PA being broken meaning no goal music. Maybe the club will realise we don't need it... :?

Anyway, given the position with 5 minutes to go, I'll happily take that point. Now let's batter Leeds.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Sep 2014 21:52

leon
SCIAG
Dick Habbin's hairdo FTR, the only 90 min shift that tattooed Scouse lobster chucker has ever put in for RFC is the first game of the season against Stoke in the Prem.....

I would suggest that the number of poor performances Guthrie has put in over the past two years could be counted on one person's fingers. And one of the hands wouldn't have much to do.

Or, put it another way, we've had about the same number of bad performances from Guthrie as we have had good ones from Akpan.

When we first signed him, although McDermott kept using him out of position.
Once he came back into the side in a midfield three and we went on that great run in January.
When Adkins took over and we started to play some good stuff, despite being all but relegated, in a partnership with Karacan.
At the start of last season when he was the favourite for POTS until about December, launching all our counter attacks with his passing.
When he "returned" from injury at the end of last season and immediately showed up the performances of Akpan/Obita/McAnuff in midfield whilst he'd been injured by outperforming them whilst unable to run.

I turn your question on you and ask when Guthrie has not played well.

(As for our form improving when Guthrie was out of the team, I would suggest the bigger factor was Williams finally finding his feet after a few months of mediocrity/injury, as well as Le Fondre's "January" form)

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 28 Sep 2014 21:54

leon
Ian Royal
leon n.

Frequently. Was an early PotS contender last year.

Was he f uck. He slowed our game down with his insistence that everything went through him, his multiple touches followed by signposted cross field balls and his constant berating of his team mates.

Our form rapidly improved when he got injured and Williams and Akpan formed a decent partnership.

and he had that ridiculous haircut the twat.[/quote]

To be fair he had a fantastic August 2013. Agree with the rest of what you said.

Elm Park

by Elm Park » 28 Sep 2014 21:55

Libertine Actually I found it quite entertaining our comedy defending aside.

People shouldn't forget we are still missing a bunch of players due to injury. When Karacan and Williams return it will give us some steel in the midfield. We need to tighten up in the back. We are doing much better than I expected with all of our young academy players having to play such important roles.

Bottom line was it was some very entertaining football and we look as good with the ball as I have seen us over the past few years.

+1

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Sep 2014 21:55

I believe I've answered already.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 28 Sep 2014 21:58

It was a great game and I was happy with a point in the end. They would have gone equal top with a win or something, so they can't be bad.

I thought we had the better of the first half, and were looking impressive when it was 2-2, so losing would have been a massive waste. Adkins made a massive mistake over Akpan, but at least he seems to have admitted it. Norwood was good, Blackman was surprisingly effect and some of the passing under pressure was excellent - we are definitely moving in the right direction.

Their fans were very quiet - there's usually a bit of noise when the bigger teams come to visit.

Marks /10

Federici 7

Gunter 6
Obita 3
Hector 10
Pearce 5

Akpan 8, as it turned out
Norwood 7
Blackman 8
Taylor 7
Cox 7

Murray 8

Guthrie 5
Kuhl 8
Mackie not sure

And I can't believe people are still falling for things like the original post on here. One-joke comedy internet personas can be a laugh, but not after years and years.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 28 Sep 2014 22:01

SydenhamRoyal
leon n.

Racist.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 Sep 2014 22:02

Obita 3? :shock:

One mistake apart I thought he was very decent with some excellent defending in difficult situations and usual quality dead ball deliveries.

Hector 10? :shock:

Hmm, something odd going on here...
Last edited by Royal Rother on 28 Sep 2014 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

Elm Park

by Elm Park » 28 Sep 2014 22:03

Royal Rother I enjoyed the game.

We played some splendid stuff in parts and looked a good side. Cut out the individual errors and we'd probably be a Top 6 team. There's plenty enough promise and 33 games left for that development to take place. Muppets writing us off from promotion already are pathetic and obviously exceptionally slow learners.

The fact we have had so many injuries and blooded so many youngsters yet are still in the top half indicate the management and coaching staff are doing a very decent job.

Individual errors can be sorted out, lack of talent can't be and we are not really suffering in the latter IMO.

Every team in every game of football ever played will have had players who failed to play at their best. So what if we had a few today. Get over it - it's sport. It's life.

It was an entertaining game and a point gained.

+1

196 posts