Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Summer Rebuild

by Forbury Lion » 28 Apr 2015 14:57

genome http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-skipper-jem-karacan-9125647

Jem Karacan has spoken emotionally about his contract impasse with Reading and has urged the club to make a decision over his future.
“If they offer me a year and someone else offers me three, what can you do?
As I understand it, the club have an option on Jem for another year they can exercise - Now I don't know when the deadline is to take that option out, but I guess they can bide their time until then and concentrate on the players who will be free to leave and maybe require more negotiating.

As for another club offering a deal, they can't if Reading take up the additional year can they.

Esteban

by Esteban » 28 Apr 2015 16:17

Forbury Lion
genome http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-skipper-jem-karacan-9125647

Jem Karacan has spoken emotionally about his contract impasse with Reading and has urged the club to make a decision over his future.
“If they offer me a year and someone else offers me three, what can you do?
As I understand it, the club have an option on Jem for another year they can exercise - Now I don't know when the deadline is to take that option out, but I guess they can bide their time until then and concentrate on the players who will be free to leave and maybe require more negotiating.

As for another club offering a deal, they can't if Reading take up the additional year can they.

I don't know how the contracts work, but if I were in Karacan's shoes and another club offered me three years, especially after the injuries he's had, I'd be more inclined to accept the three year offer.

To be fair, I can understand why the club have left it late with Karacan, but there's no need to leave it so long to talk to Pearce and Federici.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 28 Apr 2015 16:21

As much as I like Feds and Jem, I reckon the club will let all those out of contract walk away or accept League One contracts in preparation for what might happen next season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2015 16:35

Esteban To be fair, I can understand why the club have left it late with Karacan, but there's no need to leave it so long to talk to Pearce and Federici.

Depends, it may be that the manager has decided he doesn't want them or we know we can't afford them. If that's the case there wouldn't be much point in telling them whilst they're still in the side.

Alternatively it makes more sense that they didn't kick off talks whilst not knowing what the budget was as it all depends on which division we're in. I'd have thought they could've had conversations that presented options depending on where we were but they might've just seen that as a distraction or demotivating factor.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 28 Apr 2015 17:24

How many half assists does Appiah have then snowblower?

Blue & White Soup

by Blue & White Soup » 28 Apr 2015 18:02

Was Edwards any good in the beginning of the season. Didn't manage to actually see him play. Was all very excited about him in pre-season. I suspect its not really any bother that we're ridding of him?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 28 Apr 2015 18:17

RG7Fan
PeterReadingborn59 Someone make an offer for Gunter? Me thinks the season has had an undesirable affect on someone sanity.

Gunter's successful pass rate on Saturday seem to be below 10%, in the second half in five minute spell he crossed the ball over everyone to the opposite corner flag and then moments late found the other corner flag from a through pass for Cox to run on to if he had Bolt's speed. A very strange signing.

I know, as mad as it sounds. The club must have sounds reasons, whatever they are, for taking up the option.

It was his option to take up, after reaching a certain number of appearances.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 28 Apr 2015 18:19

Blue & White Soup Was Edwards any good in the beginning of the season. Didn't manage to actually see him play. Was all very excited about him in pre-season. I suspect its not really any bother that we're ridding of him?

He seemed pretty ineffectual when I saw him. Maybe a decent run in a decent team he might have developed. Seems a shame. Not a particularly good sign of Clarke developing home grown talent.

Still, more importantly: MAXIMUM respect for the avatar of Bobby Convey.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Apr 2015 18:29

Armadillo Roadkill
Blue & White Soup Was Edwards any good in the beginning of the season. Didn't manage to actually see him play. Was all very excited about him in pre-season. I suspect its not really any bother that we're ridding of him?

He seemed pretty ineffectual when I saw him. Maybe a decent run in a decent team he might have developed. Seems a shame. Not a particularly good sign of Clarke developing home grown talent.

Can't have a go at Clarke for this one IMO. We have a number of considerably more promising talents than Edwards waiting in the wings, and he's at the age now where all parties are best served by him going off and forging a career elsewhere.

Don't think he'll be good enough to make it at this level. Physically weak, technically okay but no more, and not particularly pacey given his slight form.

Blue & White Soup

by Blue & White Soup » 28 Apr 2015 18:32

Armadillo Roadkill

Yeah I would have liked to see him develop, he's only young.

And yes Convey :cry: a reminder of the good old days! What a player he was.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Apr 2015 18:32

Not the greatest from what I saw of him but one of quite a few victims of Adkins bottling it with the youth players once the 'superior' first team players came back from injury.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Apr 2015 19:46

Agree with RG7Fan on Gunter's option. And I think it was the club who took the option, not the other way around Zak. Taking an option will mean existing contractual terms will apply (ie he keeps the same wages). This is why Jem's option hasn't been taken. The club want to reduce his wages. It leads to the conclusion that Gunter also isn't one of the big earners at the club and they've potentially had enquiries to buy him.

We must remember we lose a massive amount of cash next year with a reduction in our parachute payments. Therefore the wage bill has to be slashed. I cannot see that Reading will be in the top tier of wage payers in the division next season. Expect new players will have to accept lower wages. With FFP I think the gravy train for players like Pearce and Feds will end, and they won't be able to command the wages they think they can.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Apr 2015 19:51

3points Agree with RG7Fan on Gunter's option. And I think it was the club who took the option, not the other way around Zak. Taking an option will mean existing contractual terms will apply (ie he keeps the same wages). This is why Jem's option hasn't been taken. The club want to reduce his wages. It leads to the conclusion that Gunter also isn't one of the big earners at the club and they've potentially had enquiries to buy him.

We must remember we lose a massive amount of cash next year with a reduction in our parachute payments. Therefore the wage bill has to be slashed. I cannot see that Reading will be in the top tier of wage payers in the division next season. Expect new players will have to accept lower wages. With FFP I think the gravy train for players like Pearce and Feds will end, and they won't be able to command the wages they think they can.

Did we ever really have the benefit of the parachute payments though...haven't they been secured against paying back loans? maybe this year we might actually benefit from the money...

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Apr 2015 20:02

Mid Sussex Royal
3points Agree with RG7Fan on Gunter's option. And I think it was the club who took the option, not the other way around Zak. Taking an option will mean existing contractual terms will apply (ie he keeps the same wages). This is why Jem's option hasn't been taken. The club want to reduce his wages. It leads to the conclusion that Gunter also isn't one of the big earners at the club and they've potentially had enquiries to buy him.

Did we ever really have the benefit of the parachute payments though...haven't they been secured against paying back loans? maybe this year we might actually benefit from the money...

Yes, I believe we did. The loans were an advance against monies that are paid out at the end of the season, whereas wages and other costs need to be paid throughout the year. You just have to look at our accounts to see we have more costs than revenue, including parachute payments. The club will only make about £6m a year from match day revenue in the Championship. Our wage bill is massively with Pog on about £3m a year after taking into account his £4m signing on fee.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Apr 2015 20:15

Turned out to be an average player in a below average squad for pre season.

A long with Taylor, Akpan, Blackman he would be more suited for Barnsley.

Baggie192

by Baggie192 » 28 Apr 2015 21:34

just seen the rotherham score? Please don't give the Scot's clown any money Surely he and Keen must go useless and gutless unless at Wembley. Thatt's why this shouldn't be forgiven As I said before I like Reading, this is undeserved :evil:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Apr 2015 21:42

Baggie192 just seen the rotherham score? Please don't give the Scot's clown any money Surely he and Keen must go useless and gutless unless at Wembley. Thatt's why this shouldn't be forgiven As I said before I like Reading, this is undeserved :evil:

Oh come on this game is meaningless. 20th or 21st. Who really cares?

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 28 Apr 2015 21:55

And there we have the typical apologists response.

Was only a matter of time.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Apr 2015 21:57

Summer rebuild?

Can we bury Clarke under the foundations?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Apr 2015 22:05

winchester_royal
Armadillo Roadkill

Can't have a go at Clarke for this one IMO. We have a number of considerably more promising talents than Edwards waiting in the wings, and he's at the age now where all parties are best served by him going off and forging a career elsewhere.

Don't think he'll be good enough to make it at this level. Physically weak, technically okay but no more, and not particularly pacey given his slight form.

whs. Edwards might have been a better option than Stacey in the short term (not convinced), but he had no long term future at the club and he isn't even getting in the U21 side any more.

1897 posts