CONFIMRED - Jaap Stam

490 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: McDermott out - Jaap Stam in....

by Maneki Neko » 29 May 2016 21:36

Uke
Maneki Neko
Uke Jaap Stam could build a better, stronger and more aggressive style of play than we are used to recently.

based on oxf*rd all but ur imagination....

Read the second sentence of my post you selectively quoted again... ;)

No?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 29 May 2016 22:13

Maneki Neko
Uke
Maneki Neko
based on oxf*rd all but ur imagination....

Read the second sentence of my post you selectively quoted again... ;)

No?

Uke Jaap Stam could build a better, stronger and more aggressive style of play than we are used to recently.

It would be like watching the RFC of ten years ago, but on steroids

Just his shot is your short term memory?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... tory.sport

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 May 2016 22:23

Nameless If the manager and the club have a fundamentally different view of how the club should be run then it makes sense to part company at an early stage, and managers don't tend to resign if they can get themselves sacked and compensated.

Perhaps Clarke was severely misaligned. From his BBC Berks interviews came across as a straight talker. As a player was never a quitter. Leaves one wondering what the "owner" is like to deal with. Is there far more than we'll ever know.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 30 May 2016 18:44

Has to be Gary Monk for me .. he has both the experience and knowledge as a player and manager at our level .. young too. Stam, if appointed and successful, will be off as soon as and as for Pantic . meh !

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2016 19:44

Dennis the Butler Has to be Gary Monk for me .. he has both the experience and knowledge as a player and manager at our level .. young too. Stam, if appointed and successful, will be off as soon as and as for Pantic . meh !

When has Monk managed at Championship level?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 May 2016 20:09

Ian Royal
Dennis the Butler Has to be Gary Monk for me .. he has both the experience and knowledge as a player and manager at our level .. young too. Stam, if appointed and successful, will be off as soon as and as for Pantic . meh !

To be fair he hadn't managed in the Premier League and he did alright, at least initially. Swansea was a different kettle of fish for him of course seeing that he'd been there for donkeys years.

He knows the Championship and lower leagues well as a player though, so he knows what it takes to be successful in them.

Having said that, I'm not sure he'd be a good choice for us at the moment, or certainly us for him.

In terms of experience, how much experience have some of our most successful managers ever had? McGhee, Pardew and McDermott all took over without experience of management at the level they were at, or higher, and made a pretty good stab at it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2016 20:14

Hoop Blah
Ian Royal

To be fair he hadn't managed in the Premier League and he did alright, at least initially. Swansea was a different kettle of fish for him of course seeing that he'd been there for donkeys years.

He knows the Championship and lower leagues well as a player though, so he knows what it takes to be successful in them.

Having said that, I'm not sure he'd be a good choice for us at the moment, or certainly us for him.

In terms of experience, how much experience have some of our most successful managers ever had? McGhee, Pardew and McDermott all took over without experience of management at the level they were at, or higher, and made a pretty good stab at it.

Oh, not saying experience is necessarily required (although I'd rather we got it for an external appointment), just questioning Monk's managerial experience at this level.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 30 May 2016 22:23

Lower West
Nameless If the manager and the club have a fundamentally different view of how the club should be run then it makes sense to part company at an early stage, and managers don't tend to resign if they can get themselves sacked and compensated.

Perhaps Clarke was severely misaligned. From his BBC Berks interviews came across as a straight talker. As a player was never a quitter. Leaves one wondering what the "owner" is like to deal with. Is there far more than we'll ever know.

+1

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2016 23:35

Clarke's management certainly was misaligned. Something wasn't connected right in the way he set the team up, most of the time.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 31 May 2016 09:41

Hoop Blah
Ian Royal

monks team was built for him, and as gradual changes were made by him, got worse and worse until he was sacked.
this is a far cry from what he would walk into here.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 May 2016 10:11

Exactly, that's why I don't think he's the right man for us.

After an OK start to his career in pretty favourable circumstances at Swansea I'd say he would probably need a nice stable club for his second job as he needs to build his reputation at this stage.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jun 2016 11:54

What changes did he make that failed exactly? I don't recall him making any big mistakes.. sure his record at that point was 1 win in 15 but he signed some great players. Gylfi, ayew, gomis (he was free..), flapihandski, naughton... maybe there was others but my point is he wasn't shit and had just lost Bony in the January window.. not exactly easy to replace your powerful top goal scorer.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 01 Jun 2016 12:01

I suspect we'll appoint someone that no-one expected ....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Jun 2016 12:02

Monk's going to Leeds so should be available by the time we sack our next manager.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Jun 2016 12:05

NewCorkSeth What changes did he make that failed exactly? I don't recall him making any big mistakes.. sure his record at that point was 1 win in 15 but he signed some great players. Gylfi, ayew, gomis (he was free..), flapihandski, naughton... maybe there was others but my point is he wasn't shit and had just lost Bony in the January window.. not exactly easy to replace your powerful top goal scorer.

brian managed it twice

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jun 2016 12:29

Maneki Neko
NewCorkSeth What changes did he make that failed exactly? I don't recall him making any big mistakes.. sure his record at that point was 1 win in 15 but he signed some great players. Gylfi, ayew, gomis (he was free..), flapihandski, naughton... maybe there was others but my point is he wasn't shit and had just lost Bony in the January window.. not exactly easy to replace your powerful top goal scorer.

brian managed it twice

No he managed us twice..

Who's the other striker he replaced?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Jun 2016 12:43

NewCorkSeth
Maneki Neko

brian managed it twice

No he managed us twice..

You said top goal scorer, we lost Gylfi and he got Long to step up the next season and his goals got us into the play-offs. After we lost Long, while we didn't get a 20 goal player, he made additions that created a team that won the League.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jun 2016 13:37

tidus_mi2
NewCorkSeth
Maneki Neko
brian managed it twice

No he managed us twice..

You said top goal scorer, we lost Gylfi and he got Long to step up the next season and his goals got us into the play-offs. After we lost Long, while we didn't get a 20 goal player, he made additions that created a team that won the League.

Bit of a stretch to say he was solely responsible for Longs improvement.. also Long didn't replace gylfi in the team? They play different positions and as is often pointed out we have never gylfi! And to say he replaced long with multiple players isn't exactly the same either...

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Jun 2016 14:32

NewCorkSeth
tidus_mi2
NewCorkSeth No he managed us twice..

Bit of a stretch to say he was solely responsible for Longs improvement.. also Long didn't replace gylfi in the team? They play different positions and as is often pointed out we have never gylfi! And to say he replaced long with multiple players isn't exactly the same either...

you said it was difficult to replace the clubs top goal scorer.
I just said brian managed it two years in a row.

these are the FACTS

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jun 2016 14:47

Maneki Neko
NewCorkSeth
tidus_mi2 You said top goal scorer, we lost Gylfi and he got Long to step up the next season and his goals got us into the play-offs. After we lost Long, while we didn't get a 20 goal player, he made additions that created a team that won the League.

you said it was difficult to replace the clubs top goal scorer.
I just said brian managed it two years in a row.

these are the FACTS

OK remembering now I have to be more specific on hna..

Shane long was with the club a full 5 seasons making 129 league apps and scoring 23 goals. Brian did not replace gylfi with Shane.. Shane had made 31 apps the season gylfi was our top scorer.. that's not replacing a top scorer it's another player becoming a top scorer...

He also didn't sign either of those players.. my argument was monk made some great sognings but struggled because they lost their arguably best player... andre ayew I think finished Swanseas top goal scorer so monk did in your world replace his top scorer from the season before (gomis) who replaced top scorer from the season before (bony)

And he actually signed both his players...

Going by your criteria every manager every season replaces their top goal scorer as long as a different player scores more goals..

490 posts