MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday sponsored by Adrian Popa

123 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday sponsored by Adrian Popa

by Lower West » 09 Feb 2019 17:26

URZZZZ Begs the question were we really doing that bad before?

With a full fit squad. No. Gomes has had the bonus of a transfer window to improve it on a temporary basis. Concern must be that we're still just hanging in the mix. Guess that's the current objective. Just need to win the 6 pointers.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2019 17:28

windermereROYAL Improving and still the whingers moan.

Maintaining 1 point a game (or slightly less depending on how generous you are) isn't an improvement, it's continued borderline relegation form.

For him to have improved us, we need to improve our results, not just people to feel like we might at some point in the future. Unless you're referencing the fact that he's improved us from the total nosedive we took when Clement was sacked. In which case, yeah, but we couldn't have got much worse if we lost every match.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Feb 2019 17:35

These next 3 home games and Ipswich are massive now, I think we can write off next Saturday.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Feb 2019 17:40

That’s a good point. Rotherham have a very difficult run of games over the next couple of months.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2019 17:43

windermereROYAL These next 3 home games and Ipswich are massive now, I think we can write off next Saturday.

This. Anything at Sheffield United is a bonus ball.

Blackburn are one of those tough, well organised but beatable sides haunting mid table that Reading have regularly disappointed against this season. Not going to be easy.

Sounds from the radio that Barrow had a good game today though more defensively than in attack according to Mick.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Feb 2019 17:53

Zip That’s a good point. Rotherham have a very difficult run of games over the next couple of months.

Yep exactly that. Needed to stay in touch with Rotherham and we have

3 points and a few goals would be very welcome in mid week mind you

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Feb 2019 18:20

CountryRoyal I’ll take that. Another clean sheet.

Agreed, me too. I'd say Martinez got it right today. Set up to keep it tight early doors, which is vital in away games. Take the crowd out of it, get to HT 0-0 and give yourself a chance. Good plan in Steve Bruce' home opener.
2nd half was better, we pushed forward more.
Blackett and Baker 2 decent chances in box 2nd half, they had time, but didn't get it on target.
Really missed Oliveira today,
Miazga and Moore immense, again. (A couple years since consecutive clean sheets in league).
Martinez made 2 good saves 1st half, but didn't have to do much else.
Sutekh, yes, Barrow has really improved defensively and that continued today.
On to Blackburn at home on Wed.
People not posting as much? Yep.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 09 Feb 2019 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2019 18:23

Only saw 15 minutes, but Barrow tracked back and tackled well. :shock:

Well played.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Feb 2019 18:30

Denver Royal People not posting as much? Yep.

Fatigue perhaps. A year on. No further forward.

Bristol City 8 wins on the spin. Last time we managed even back to back wins? Some of the players must be low on confidence. Been a long deep rut.
Last edited by Lower West on 09 Feb 2019 18:32, edited 3 times in total.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 09 Feb 2019 18:31

Denver Royal

Agreed, me too. I'd say Martinez got it right today. Set up to keep it tight early doors, which is vital in away games. Take the crowd out of it, get to HT 0-0 and give yourself a chance. Good plan in Steve Bruce' home opener.
Blackett and Baker 2 decent chances in box 2nd half, they had time, but didn't get it on target.
Miazga and Moore immense, again. (A couple years since consecutive clean sheets in league).

Martinez was busy today- plenty of good saves plus set the team up and did the team talk :lol:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Feb 2019 18:39

Royals and Racers
Denver Royal

Martinez was busy today- plenty of good saves plus set the team up and did the team talk :lol:

Ha, you're right, he does a lot of that :wink: Don't recall many saves in 2nd half, but yes he likes to organize everyone, etc. And I'm ok with that, maybe it was something we were lacking. And his footwork has been an upgrade, imo.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Feb 2019 18:46

Denver Royal
Royals and Racers
Denver Royal Agreed, me too. I'd say Martinez got it right today. Set up to keep it tight early doors, which is vital in away games. Take the crowd out of it, get to HT 0-0 and give yourself a chance. Good plan in Steve Bruce' home opener.

Ha, you're right, he does a lot of that :wink: Don't recall many saves in 2nd half, but yes he likes to organize everyone, etc. And I'm ok with that, maybe it was something we were lacking. And his footwork has been an upgrade, imo.

Wednesday didn`t have a on target shot in the 2nd half, we had 8 with 3 on target. but we could easily be talking about last minute agony again .

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 09 Feb 2019 19:53

Zip
Victor Meldrew I would expect McCleary to play through the middle.
Interesting line-up presumably designed to keep the ball and play for a 0-0.
I had thought that this was a game where there would be plenty of goals but we shall see.

Where is multi-million-caps-for-Wales-so-he-must-be-good-and-every-manager-picks-him-as-they-know-better-than-you Gunter?

Jeez. Victor. Your obsession with Gunter is unhealthy.

Just relieved that we have a manager who is not blinkered.
Mind you, if he is injured and Gomes brings him into the side I'll add this manager to the list of those before him who have all been sacked during Gunter's time with us. :wink:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 09 Feb 2019 20:14

URZZZZ As I said weeks ago, we're not going to score goals when our wingers are as uncreative as they are, you can stick Barrow, McCleary, Ejaria, Harriott, whoever there and it'll have the same outcome. An absolutely dreadful game and should have conceded in the last second to a shocking miss. 4 goals in open play now in 9 games, not good enough

Realistically, when do people start questioning Gomes? Obviously no-one is yet, but we're not scoring and we're not really improving after a couple of decent games. Begs the question were we really doing that bad before?

Jesus.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Feb 2019 00:15

For me you just have to question whether Swift should be dropped now. He just doesn't seem to tribute enough. I'm getting frustrated that you can see the talent but he just doesn't seem to be able to unleash it. First double clean sheet since Nov 2017 which is a positive......but going forward there's just not enough.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Feb 2019 08:34

Ascotexgunner For me you just have to question whether Swift should be dropped now. He just doesn't seem to tribute enough. I'm getting frustrated that you can see the talent but he just doesn't seem to be able to unleash it. First double clean sheet since Nov 2017 which is a positive......but going forward there's just not enough.

Screw dropped the donkey should be sold or failing that have his contract terminated or sent to play with the U23s. I’m fed up with him casually marauding about. Get rid.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Feb 2019 08:37

CountryRoyal
Ascotexgunner For me you just have to question whether Swift should be dropped now. He just doesn't seem to tribute enough. I'm getting frustrated that you can see the talent but he just doesn't seem to be able to unleash it. First double clean sheet since Nov 2017 which is a positive......but going forward there's just not enough.

Screw dropped the donkey should be sold or failing that have his contract terminated or sent to play with the U23s. I’m fed up with him casually marauding about. Get rid.

Stop sitting on the wall CR come out and say what you really feel.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Feb 2019 09:57

Platypuss
URZZZZ As I said weeks ago, we're not going to score goals when our wingers are as uncreative as they are, you can stick Barrow, McCleary, Ejaria, Harriott, whoever there and it'll have the same outcome. An absolutely dreadful game and should have conceded in the last second to a shocking miss. 4 goals in open play now in 9 games, not good enough

Realistically, when do people start questioning Gomes? Obviously no-one is yet, but we're not scoring and we're not really improving after a couple of decent games. Begs the question were we really doing that bad before?

Jesus.

I know, right?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Feb 2019 12:59

CountryRoyal

I get the feeling he certainly won't be here next season.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Feb 2019 13:02

Hendo
Platypuss

Jesus.

I know, right?

I wondered if Clement has a son?

123 posts