Ince & Ince appreciation thread.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ince & Ince appreciation thread.

by Royal_jimmy » 06 Apr 2023 22:22

For anyone with a grudge against Ince as a manager including me let's just get behind him and hope for the best.

We have to win tomorrow to make the best game easier.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Apr 2023 22:22

tmesis At the moment I suspect the people shouting loudest about their dissatisfaction are the ones who didn't want him in in the first place.

Exactly this.

Very few if any of us were too excited about his appointment and so as soon as our embargoed hit squad has a bad run against top teams people have a field day. Add to that the 6 point deduction and now people are laughing.

And we, like all fans, are a fickle bunch with memories as long as the last few games. And mitigations - no matter how valid - are never taken into account.

The whole purpose of this thread was to see beyond all that in advance. It wasn't an Ince In thread, it wasn't an Ince out thread. Here it is again:

Millsy NOT an in/out thread. Football’s a funny old game and we don’t know how things will pan out. But however things may turn out, while we are still calm and not bound by predictable knee jerk worthless emotions (positive or negative, depending) can we just show our honest appreciation for this hard working genuine dad and son team because:

Reading FC’s first black manager.

Straight talking, decent, thoroughly likeable chap.

Years out of management, written off (harshly) as a failure, but the balls to get straight back in at the deep end and try again - given a frosty reception of disappointment by fans expecting someone ‘better’ (I’ll hold my hands up to that).

Baptism of fire coming into the worst possible circumstances and succeeding by sorting out the Paunomess and keeping us up.

Being dealt an awful hand this season having to rebuild a broken team with loans and freebies.

Tom despite the difficulties at Stoke absolutely working his butt off here tirelessly on the pitch to turn things around for the club and almost a legend already.

For me a formidable father and son team, giving their absolute all it seems not to let each other or the club down. (also Reading’s first father&son? I don’t know)

A massive vote of appreciation from me while I’m still level headed enough to do so!

Dear Inces, Years down the line if you’re looking at this having won us the PL title you’ll know the appreciation is real not some meaningless fragile reactionary praise. And likewise if you’re looking at this having been sacked for taking us down, again you’ll see through the horrible negativity of fans caught up with the emotion of the circumstances and see the same. Good luck guys, keep it up!

I know at some point I'll lose my head too and let the inner chimp take over and I'll be calling for Ince's head, be it this season or next. But while I have an ounce of a frontal lobe left I'll continue to give appreciation where it's due.

Whatever happens, Paul can hold his head up high for what he's done here so far. Whether he stays or goes I wish him well.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Apr 2023 18:36

AthleticoSpizz As we stay-up, we have a lot to be thankful for to the Ince’s for.

Like Pauno before him, his hand has been dealt like a foot.

….and yes, it’s shit or bust now Paul, how I wish we could end this season with some of the squad choices that we had available at the start and intermediate stage of it….we don’t now.

Pointless whingeing fellow posters, we are where we are now…we were ‘quick off of the blocks’ but in reality, it was never going to be sustainable with biffs, cast-offs, local lads and oap’s.

Cut the guy some slack, couldn’t give a shit how turgid it is to watch…seen plenty worse under Rodgers and even the early Coppell, just get us over the line Paul

Thank you

But that's what most Championship teams are made up of.

The challenge was pre-season and Ince/Bowen did extremely well to put together the squad they did. It should have been a match for half this division and indeed it was. Then Sunderland played us off the park , Ince made an early tactical change but they continued to play us off the park and ended up winning 3-0.

Before that he was adjusting tactics mid game to pretty good success but for some reason it spooked him and we haven't really been the same since.

The same thing happened to Coppell in his relegation season. We lost 7-4 at Pompey which we just about recovered from but then shipped 5 at Spurs and we went into our shell for the rest of that season.

It's still in our hands but he's made it so much more difficult for himself. The likes of Watford and WBA are out of our reach according to Ince and yet Rotherham and Huddersfield don't seem to think so.

The injuries are biting again but imagine if as many on here have suggested, those "kids" that make up the current bench had been given a bit more game time then perhaps he'd have a bit more confidence to use them when we really need to rather than "running the same players into the ground every week" .

We're where we are partly because the club has been mismanaged for several seasons but also because Ince has mismanaged what he's had at his disposal for a lot of this season.

Even in the previous shite seasons , there has at least been a breakthrough player to cheer on. (Azeez, Richards, Olise etc ).

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Apr 2023 18:53

Yeah I've never really liked Ince's comments about the bigger teams, that's who you want to be playing against, you want to be playing against better opposition, that's the whole point. I get what he says, we shouldn't be competing with clubs who can spend £20m on players, yeah that's correct, over the course of a season we shouldn't but for a game we can. Of course it's tough because they have better quality players, but they play in the same division as us for a reason and those games are as worth as much as every other game ultimately.

In terms of academy breakthroughs, I'm not sure who it was ever going to be? Plenty of promising players in the U23's but I'm not sure how many are ready for the step up. I'm sure there is a reason they aren't being used as often as previously. Although I do think, with a limited amount of attacking/creative options, we may have seen someone like Camara, Scott, Kelvin E maybe make a mark on the team somewhere, even if it was just a few decent games like what Olise had at the tail-end of Bowen's reign.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Apr 2023 20:06

Vision
AthleticoSpizz As we stay-up, we have a lot to be thankful for to the Ince’s for.

Like Pauno before him, his hand has been dealt like a foot.

….and yes, it’s shit or bust now Paul, how I wish we could end this season with some of the squad choices that we had available at the start and intermediate stage of it….we don’t now.

Pointless whingeing fellow posters, we are where we are now…we were ‘quick off of the blocks’ but in reality, it was never going to be sustainable with biffs, cast-offs, local lads and oap’s.

Cut the guy some slack, couldn’t give a shit how turgid it is to watch…seen plenty worse under Rodgers and even the early Coppell, just get us over the line Paul

Thank you

But that's what most Championship teams are made up of.

The challenge was pre-season and Ince/Bowen did extremely well to put together the squad they did. It should have been a match for half this division and indeed it was. Then Sunderland played us off the park , Ince made an early tactical change but they continued to play us off the park and ended up winning 3-0.

Before that he was adjusting tactics mid game to pretty good success but for some reason it spooked him and we haven't really been the same since.

The same thing happened to Coppell in his relegation season. We lost 7-4 at Pompey which we just about recovered from but then shipped 5 at Spurs and we went into our shell for the rest of that season.

It's still in our hands but he's made it so much more difficult for himself. The likes of Watford and WBA are out of our reach according to Ince and yet Rotherham and Huddersfield don't seem to think so.

The injuries are biting again but imagine if as many on here have suggested, those "kids" that make up the current bench had been given a bit more game time then perhaps he'd have a bit more confidence to use them when we really need to rather than "running the same players into the ground every week" .

We're where we are partly because the club has been mismanaged for several seasons but also because Ince has mismanaged what he's had at his disposal for a lot of this season.

Even in the previous shite seasons , there has at least been a breakthrough player to cheer on. (Azeez, Richards, Olise etc ).

That's some hard truth there.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Apr 2023 20:26

I don't know why - but I just feel like when we actually get down to squeaky-bum time that we're going to come out firing. Like, we'll smash the last 3-4 games to stay up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Apr 2023 20:27

I'd guess drugs as the explanation

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Apr 2023 20:32

The sooner Pince fecks off the better

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Apr 2023 21:06

Royal_jimmy The sooner Pince fecks off the better
lol, you stated that you were in the “Pince In” camp barely a day ago.
Bit of the DD’s there Jimmy?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Apr 2023 11:56

AthleticoSpizz

Sounds like a contradiction but I do want Ince to go, in the summer a managerial change is necessary. Just need to get behind him and hope for the best outcome for us.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Apr 2023 10:56

Royal_jimmy
AthleticoSpizz

Sounds like a contradiction but I do want Ince to go, in the summer a managerial change is necessary. Just need to get behind him and hope for the best outcome for us.

Get rid now. He’s dragging us down with his tactics and his attitude.

biff

by biff » 09 Apr 2023 11:30

AthleticoSpizz it was never going to be sustainable with biffs

Words to live by.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Apr 2023 11:33

Elm Park Kid I don't know why - but I just feel like when we actually get down to squeaky-bum time that we're going to come out firing. Like, we'll smash the last 3-4 games to stay up.

Sharing the same feeling….

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Apr 2023 12:52

biff
AthleticoSpizz it was never going to be sustainable with a biff manager

Words to live by.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 09 Apr 2023 15:40

I saw some stuff on Twitter today claiming that PInce is our worse every manager. I just don't know how people can come to that conclusion.

Clarke, Stam, Gomes and Pauno all saw the club flirting with relegation. And none of them were operating under transfer embargos, business plans and points deductions. None of them had had to completely rebuild the squad over a summer whilst not being able to spend a penny on fees, and restricted by agents payments.

I'm sure that 99% of people on here agreed before the season started that avoiding relegation would be a difficult task. That if PInce achieved that, he would deserve another season with a proper transfer window . . . . Then, we signed a few 'bigger' names than we expected, had a good start to the season and expectations got ahead of where they should be.

It seems to me that the average fan seriously underestimates how hard it is for a new squad to 'gell' together and play well in their first season - no matter how good the individual are. Look at Chelsea at the moment, a group of amazing talent and they're pretty awful. Obviously people blame the manager(s) there as well, but it's also a case of a new team needing time. People blame us looking poor on the tactics or PInce's 'attitude', but could it not just be the case that barely had the same 11 players out on the pitch more than a handful of times.

We've done worse than I'd hope we would - and it's been disappointing that we've seem to have gotten worse as the seasons has gone on. PInce deserves criticism, absolutely no doubt. Maybe it is the case that he's not up for a job like this. But . . . . I just don't understand how anyone who has followed football for any amount of time can be so short-sighted or fickle about their assessment. I have seen us play far, worse in recent years, at least we don't look like we're going to collapse at any second.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 09 Apr 2023 16:26

Elm Park Kid I saw some stuff on Twitter today claiming that PInce is our worse every manager. I just don't know how people can come to that conclusion.

Clarke, Stam, Gomes and Pauno all saw the club flirting with relegation. And none of them were operating under transfer embargos, business plans and points deductions. None of them had had to completely rebuild the squad over a summer whilst not being able to spend a penny on fees, and restricted by agents payments.

I'm sure that 99% of people on here agreed before the season started that avoiding relegation would be a difficult task. That if PInce achieved that, he would deserve another season with a proper transfer window . . . . Then, we signed a few 'bigger' names than we expected, had a good start to the season and expectations got ahead of where they should be.

It seems to me that the average fan seriously underestimates how hard it is for a new squad to 'gell' together and play well in their first season - no matter how good the individual are. Look at Chelsea at the moment, a group of amazing talent and they're pretty awful. Obviously people blame the manager(s) there as well, but it's also a case of a new team needing time. People blame us looking poor on the tactics or PInce's 'attitude', but could it not just be the case that barely had the same 11 players out on the pitch more than a handful of times.

We've done worse than I'd hope we would - and it's been disappointing that we've seem to have gotten worse as the seasons has gone on. PInce deserves criticism, absolutely no doubt. Maybe it is the case that he's not up for a job like this. But . . . . I just don't understand how anyone who has followed football for any amount of time can be so short-sighted or fickle about their assessment. I have seen us play far, worse in recent years, at least we don't look like we're going to collapse at any second.

The Twatter Twits are idiots with barely a braincell to rub between them. They moan about every little thing, even the players doing a Easter Egg hunt with local kids.

MR.CYNICAL

by MR.CYNICAL » 09 Apr 2023 18:25

Surprised you've seen far worse than this, not sure I have, never seen us set up so negative, square pegs in round holes, we play with no tempo or urgency and have a shocking away record

MR.CYNICAL

by MR.CYNICAL » 09 Apr 2023 18:41

And it's all down to Ince. Not surprised he's been named as worse manager

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Apr 2023 19:32

Have you already forgotten Rodgers? Christ I was soooo bored, I even bought the matchday programme to read DURING the game.

MR.CYNICAL

by MR.CYNICAL » 09 Apr 2023 20:10

Admittedly the Rodgers era was bad, but at least we got rid of him before it was too late, we didn't stick with him like we have with Ince