MATCHWATCH : Watford (a)

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Watford (a)

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Sep 2022 12:32

paultheroyal
tidus_mi2
Elm Park Kid
It helps if you properly read people's posts.

Explain it to me then, because I read it several times before responding and then re-read it again after your response because it looks like he's suggesting the funeral will be on the 12th. I don't get what I've apparently not read correctly.

Struggling to see how you thought i was suggesting funeral is this sunday :lol:

I didn't read the post above yours so I got sort of tunnel-visioned into this reply chain.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Sep 2022 13:59

Posted above that it was the 18th. My error, heard via work it’s Monday 19th

So hopefully next weeks fixtures on ok

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Sep 2022 14:03

Hound Posted above that it was the 18th. My error, heard via work it’s Monday 19th

Think it would be a mistake to postpone next weekend if games are going on in midweek especially given the international break starts after next weekend's fixtures. Either they play both remaining rounds prior to the break or none.

Seems that this weekend's call was taken by the FA who didn't want games as the Queen and Prince William are patrons and as a result it felt it was the correct thing to do. Hard to disagree if that is the case and may explain why rugby and other sports are continuing tomorrow.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Sep 2022 14:18

Stranded
Hound Posted above that it was the 18th. My error, heard via work it’s Monday 19th

Think it would be a mistake to postpone next weekend if games are going on in midweek especially given the international break starts after next weekend's fixtures. Either they play both remaining rounds prior to the break or none.

Seems that this weekend's call was taken by the FA who didn't want games as the Queen and Prince William are patrons and as a result it felt it was the correct thing to do. Hard to disagree if that is the case and may explain why rugby and other sports are continuing tomorrow.

As per an earlier post I think the FA have missed a real trick to show respect/appreciation for the queen by cancelling the games, it isn’t the 1950s any more after all.

Anyway, it’s only this weekend that will be lost fixture wise, there’s no games scheduled next Monday (19th) so all back to normal for everyone on Tuesday and Reading next game is the visit of Sunderland.

For the record have the fixture programmes in Scotland and Northern Ireland been cancelled as well?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Sep 2022 14:42

Games in Scotland are off.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Sep 2022 15:20

Coppells Lost Coat The is a unprecedented decision in modern times.
IMO it would be far greater to celebrate her service with hundreds and thousands applauding across the country at 3pm in the stadiums.
Football is uniting at difficult times and it will send a great message to all mourning how loved she was across the country. Much better tribute than wall to wall documentaries.

Agreed.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 09 Sep 2022 16:24

Sutekh
Franchise FC I absolutely refuse to apologise for something over which I had absolutely no control whatsoever

I have some family members that have done bad things. Would I be apologising for them ?
I don’t think so

However, do I think what happened was acceptable … NO

I think Britain should apologise but only after the Italians have apologised to various peoples for the slavery, invasions and enforced kidnapping endured over countless centuries courtesy of the Roman Empire.

And then Norway, Denmark and Sweden should apologise for the actions of the Vikings.

Next.

Next the Barbary slave pirates that plundered our shores sometimes taking whole village populations.
The Barbary slave trade involved slave markets on the Barbary Coast of North Africa, which included the Ottoman states of Algeria, Tunisia and Tripolitania and the independent sultanate of Morocco, between the 16th and 19th century. The Ottoman states in North Africa were nominally under Ottoman suzerainty.
European slaves were acquired by Barbary pirates in slave raids on ships and by raids on coastal towns from Italy to the Netherlands, Ireland and the southwest of Britain, as far north as Iceland and into the Eastern Mediterranean.

In his 2003 book Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast and Italy, 1500–1800, Ohio State University history professor Robert Davis states that most modern historians minimize the white slave trade. Davis estimates that slave traders from Tunis, Algiers, and Tripoli alone enslaved 1 million to 1.25 million Europeans in North Africa, from the beginning of the 16th century to the middle of the 18th (these numbers do not include the European people who were enslaved by Morocco and by other raiders and traders of the Mediterranean Sea coast).[3][page needed] To extrapolate his numbers, Davis assumes the number of European slaves captured by Barbary pirates remained roughly constant for a 250-year period.
Last edited by karbota on 09 Sep 2022 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Sep 2022 16:50

Pretty unanimous on social media what fans think of the decision to cancel all matches this weekend.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Sep 2022 17:08

They made their decision too quickly to try to look like the Good guys and have ended up looking like muppets

Banning kids grassroots footy especially whilst Cricket, Golf, Rugby etc continue at all levels is just pathetic

And of course the pubs won’t be shutting as a ‘mark of respect’ over the weekend

Anyway; hardly unexpected either

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Sep 2022 19:34

Why is our game being postponed. I mean what does the Queen have to do with The Roy,,,,, oh,

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Sep 2022 20:00

Hound They made their decision too quickly to try to look like the Good guys and have ended up looking like muppets

Banning kids grassroots footy especially whilst Cricket, Golf, Rugby etc continue at all levels is just pathetic

And of course the pubs won’t be shutting as a ‘mark of respect’ over the weekend

That really is utterly ridiculous.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Sep 2022 20:13

Sutekh
Hound They made their decision too quickly to try to look like the Good guys and have ended up looking like muppets

That really is utterly ridiculous.

It’s so they can watch wall to wall morbid analysis for the full ten days
It’s not that I have any problem with the monarchy, far from it, but 24/7 with little respite is a bit overwhelming

Where’s the whelmguage when you need it ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Sep 2022 20:39

Franchise FC Where’s the whelmguage when you need it ?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Sep 2022 08:46

Mr Angry The whole of the football programme will be canned this weekend, so whether it is better for us to be playing Watford tomorrow or not is irrelevant.

"Your hypothetical question about whether now would have a good time to play Watford or not is irrelevant because we are not playing Watford".

You OK?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Sep 2022 08:57

Truly pathetic knee jerk reaction by the football authorities, if one sport is cancelled then all sport should be cancelled. my Saturdays and Sundays normally consist of me on the sofa watching matches and the scores coming in. it feels kind of empty this morning.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Sep 2022 09:54

windermereROYAL Truly pathetic knee jerk reaction by the football authorities, if one sport is cancelled then all sport should be cancelled. my Saturdays and Sundays normally consist of me on the sofa watching matches and the scores coming in. it feels kind of empty this morning.

Agree. Trying to force mourning and misery on people is irritating. Let me get on with my life. If I’m that bothered by it I won’t go to the footy.

Oh but I’ll gladly take a couple of bank holidays over it :wink:

Gloucesterroyal

by Gloucesterroyal » 10 Sep 2022 11:35

The FA are Bafoons. My kid is glued to the xbox playing Minecraft instead of playing for his local side. What does he get out of the postponement Football seems to be the only sport not being played this weekend as the FA are falling over themselves to do the 'right thing', instead of making a reasoned decision. This decision just breeds resentment.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 10 Sep 2022 12:10

Gloucesterroyal The FA are Bafoons. My kid is glued to the xbox playing Minecraft instead of playing for his local side. What does he get out of the postponement Football seems to be the only sport not being played this weekend as the FA are falling over themselves to do the 'right thing', instead of making a reasoned decision. This decision just breeds resentment.

Disgusting. He should be watching BBC One, history is occurring.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Sep 2022 12:30

Hasn’t it already occurred ?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 10 Sep 2022 13:25

Franchise FC Hasn’t it already occurred ?

It occurred and then it started reoccurring and if it stops occurring then it will start occurring again.