New manager poll

139 posts

Who should get the permanent manager gig in the summer?

Noel Hunt
14%
Mark Bowen
3%
Dylan Kerr
8%
Nathan Jones
28%
Graham Murty
7%
Alan Pardew
7%
Some obscure bloke from a low level European league
13%
Ian Royal
21%

Total votes: 76
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New manager poll

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Apr 2023 21:52

Sonewhat similar to the Clarke and Clement approach, though they'd both had longer spells in charge as the main man in a PL hot seat, iirc.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 11 Apr 2023 23:50

Clyde1998
Franconian Royal Who is Karl Robinson? Which team has he managed recently? And why are people all over here an Twatter saying a big no?

Previous Oxford manager - so that's maybe why there's folk on Twitter saying no.

He got them to the play-offs two years in a row (2020 and 2021), narrowly missed out last season following a late dip in form and got sacked in February. They had failed to win in eight at that point (they were tenth before that run), but seemed to do a good job there - especially given there are sides in League One who'll have a much bigger budget than Oxford. Oxford haven't won since they sacked him - three points from five matches - and are now only two points above the relegation zone.

He also got promoted with Milton Keynes in 2015; perhaps under performed with Charlton in League One, but again got sacked after a dip in form which dropped them out of the play-offs.

Might not be the worst shout, regardless of what division we're in next season, tbh.

Thanks for that Clyde

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Apr 2023 07:53

Royal Rother
SCIAG
Royal Rother
Hmm, decent shout that.

Not sure why the guy who is managing Spurs (currently 5th in the Premier League) would leave to take over Reading (22nd in the Championship).

Maybe if we stay up and if he doesn't get the Spurs job permanently and if the next Spurs manager doesn't like him. But if he does well then he probably won't want to drop a division, and if he doesn't do well... why would we want him?

I think there’s a few reasons.

He isn’t going to get the Spurs job.

He isn’t going to get any PL job.

Most managers bring in their own coaches so there’s a very real likelihood he won’t be at Spurs next season.

He’s local.

He’s had a taste of management, seems a well liked and respected young coach, who has worked under some unliveable but to names, and it seems reasonable to think he’d be interested in a local Championship club as a career progression. League 1? Maybe not.

By all accounts he is seen as a future Spurs manager, with the main thing holding him back being that he’s a teammate of several of the senior players. He’s been there since 2018 and has now outlasted three permanent managers. Stellini will probably be gone, but Mason is a club man.

Obviously I don’t actually know what is going on inside his head, maybe he wants a permanent job now and not wait for Kane to retire. But I actually think joining us would harm his long term prospects.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 12 Apr 2023 08:01

Karl Robinson would be awful for us as a club in the position we are in.

If you take purely the football into account, he was regressing at Oxford after an admittedly good start. Play-Off Final, Play-Off Semi, 8th and then not far off relegation before he got the boot. They also had one of the biggest budgets in the league around the good seasons, so it’s not some sort of fairytale.

As a person, he alienated pretty much every other staff member at the club - the bloke is a complete egotistical narcissist. He would routinely ignore the work of the recruitment team at the club, who had an unbelievable track record with the previous manager, and just buy players he’d worked with before on overinflated deals (sound familiar).

To me, he’s a bit of a Nathan Jones with no track record of success, I would be disgusted if we brought him in.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Apr 2023 08:46

Yeah not Karl Robinson, I think we could get someone better no matter where we are playing next season. Or if not, I'd prefer to give someone new a chance like Murty who could develop players.

We just need someone who will fit the ethos of the club going forward in the short to long-term. Hopefully that's going to be developing players from the academy and playing a progressive, more attractive style of play. I wouldn't even be that bothered if that happened to be some no-mark from abroad to be perfectly honest, but understand it wouldn't be popular.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Apr 2023 08:49

TiagoIlori Nathan Jones or Neil Critchley for me. Not sure Jones would take a league one job if we go down though.

Yep same for me

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 12 Apr 2023 11:00

Find it quite odd that people criticise Dai's appointments then come up with really naff suggestions. For example Cowley Bros, have a read of some of the supporters of Huddersfield or Portsmouth, or Nathan Jones at Stoke. Think we need look past the list of out of work managers, they are out of work for a reason. What we dont know is who will apply for it, could be someone under the radar. And please let it not be Parkinson, loved him as a player but his record as a manager is uninspiring to say the least apart from Wrexham which doesnt really count due to his budget.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Apr 2023 12:35

Yeah, don't really get the support for Nathan Jones or the Cowleys and I suspect Ainsworth may go the same way.

Clicked at one club, shit everywhere else.

I think Michael Duff would be a good option but he won't leave Barnsley for us or if I could hand pick a manager, Mark Robins but absolutely zero chance there as well.

I bet the person we eventually get will not be any of the names mentioned on this thread.

Here's an utterly random name plucked from absolutely nowhere: Per Mertesacker

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 12 Apr 2023 12:50

The nearest we could get to the desirable talents of Mark Robbins is Adrian Viveash, his assistant and a former biscuitman himself!

Fezza

by Fezza » 12 Apr 2023 12:55

If we're rebuilding in league 1 I'd happily get Nigel Adkins back to develop a more attractive style without the pressure of his previous reign. I'd rather someone with a positive, extensive, record (who isn't a Tuesday like Jones or Robinson), than a former player with no experience. Ideally someone who has lasted more than two seasons at a club at some point in their career and isn't waiting on a prison sentence like Cannavaro.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Apr 2023 13:03

Eaststandman The nearest we could get to the desirable talents of Mark Robbins is Adrian Viveash, his assistant and a former biscuitman himself!

Wouldn't be against Viveash. I worked with his dad 30 odd years ago at BR.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 12 Apr 2023 13:04

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Apr 2023 13:14

Wilder's about to get sacked by Watford.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 12 Apr 2023 13:16

Bowen to bring back his old mucker, Mark Hughes, and get the band back together as Eddie is still at the club as well

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Apr 2023 13:37

Cooper when forest sack him?

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 12 Apr 2023 13:40

South Coast Royal Cooper when forest sack him?

He wont want a job in League One.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Apr 2023 13:46

From Despair To Where? Wilder's about to get sacked by Watford.

No surprise there. Thought his 'Born team were dogshit when they visited us earlier in the season. Just shows how much more Carrick is getting out of that team.

Needle

by Needle » 12 Apr 2023 13:51

I can't abide Nathan Jones. It would be an absolute tragedy if we appointed him.

From the list in the OP I'd go for Murts. Lots of experience working with young players as well as his caretaker stints, under some pressure, at Rangers. Of course, if Noel keeps us up...

Viveash and Mason mentioned in earlier replies both good shouts.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Apr 2023 13:53

I literally have no idea who I would like as I have no idea which division we will be in - that will dictate who is likely to be available or interested as a rebuild in the Champ will be a lot more appealing to a number of managers than looking to begin one at a lower level. Jones has done very well at this level when he has a small budget - his issue has always been having money to spend.

But I don't know - Jones or Duff if we stay up (and Barnsley don't come up) - if we go down errr - someone who knows how to get out of L1.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 12 Apr 2023 14:06

All the speculation and substantial names being mentioned overlook the elephant in the room, who in their right mind would eagerly pick up the tainted chalice???

139 posts