When will our first signing be?

200 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: When will our first signing be?

by SCIAG » 09 Jul 2008 20:53

zummerset
Alan Partridge Reading sign M.Centre for £2million.

In typical Coppell/RFC style it's too little too late and won't be used for a year.

Will not play, be ignored, publically refuse to play for the reserves and be shipped off to whence he came. Thats the stuff that drives us bananas and the lack of explanation is hardly helping.

I

If you're talking about Fae, there was explanation. Coppell said he didn't feel Fae was ready to be playing in the Premier League every week yet. Apparently, he hadn't adjusted his style, and was just letting play pass him by when the other team had the ball. Copps said it would be at least a year until he could start starting matches. In the matches I saw of him he was our best player attacking wise, but wasn't tackling. He wasn't needed after we signed Marek either- third choice behind him and Harps.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 10 Jul 2008 08:58

zummerset
Alan Partridge Reading sign M.Centre for £2million.

In typical Coppell/RFC style it's too little too late and won't be used for a year.

Will not play, be ignored, publically refuse to play for the reserves and be shipped off to whence he came. Thats the stuff that drives us bananas and the lack of explanation is hardly helping.

I

You left out the outbreak of malaria.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Jul 2008 09:43

i reckon the 1st new signing(maybe 2) will be on friday with the new kit-maybe one or two out aswell?
or am i being too optimistic? :wink:

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 10 Jul 2008 10:00

brendywendy i reckon the 1st new signing(maybe 2) will be on friday with the new kit-maybe one or two out aswell?
or am i being too optimistic? :wink:

I had an inkling the kit release would coincide with a new signing but my confidence is waning with each passing day :cry:

BBTSA

by BBTSA » 10 Jul 2008 10:02

To be fair if that was the case the new signing would be training with the team now, they wouldn't wait for a kit to be released to announce him.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 10 Jul 2008 10:04

BBTSA To be fair if that was the case the new signing would be training with the team now, they wouldn't wait for a kit to be released to announce him.

I'm pretty sure it's been done before.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jul 2008 10:51

Coppell has outlined his strategy in part in the EP today:

Steve Coppell is scouring the market for hungry young players to lead Reading’s promotion push back to the Premier League.

Royals’ boss has been hugely successful in the past when it comes to unearthing raw talent.

He has landed Dave Kitson from Cambridge United, Kevin Doyle and Shane Long from Cork City and Ibrahima Sonko and Stephen Hunt from Brentford.

All were untested at the highest level, but have shown they can compete in the Premier League.

In contrast, £2.5million club-record signing Emerse Fae and £1.5m recruit Seol Ki-Hyeon flopped and Coppell said: “At this club we have always tried to buy young and hungry players with something to prove and that will remain our mentality for any purchases we make.

“They are hard to find but you have to back your judgement. We have players that we would like to bring to this club, but again we have to go through the process of trying to acquire them.

“We do need to trim our squad because it is unbalanced.

“We have eight centre-halves. With Glen Little going we need a right sider and we have our targets.”

Meanwhile Andre Bikey will miss Reading’s pre-season campaign as he has been called into Cameroon’s Olympic squad.

The powerful defender joins Royals goalkeeper Adam Federici, who is in the Aussie squad for the Beijing games which start on August 6.

Depending on how far they progress the pair could miss as many as four league matches as well as the Carling Cup trip to Dagenham.

BBTSA

by BBTSA » 10 Jul 2008 10:55

Basically Coppell has been found wanting again.

Surely he knew who he wanted at least a month ago, should have had someone by now.

How come other managers manage it. Its not that difficult

Jimmy the Tree

by Jimmy the Tree » 10 Jul 2008 11:12

I would argue that it is that difficult:-

If the player is any good (and I'm assuming that we all want to sign good players!), then his Agent will not take an early offer, but wait as long as possible to see if the big boys come in for him.

What is his attitude like, will he fit in? Not easy to determine until met him a few times etc.

If he is any good then won't have been released on a free etc, so need to approach the owning club, get agreement to speak to him all takes time.

I could go on, but it has been said a million times already.

I am firmly in the RTG camp so we won't agree.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 10 Jul 2008 11:25

I think we will go with what we have got and do our business in January................a somewhat familiar ring about that one !!

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 10 Jul 2008 11:30

Welcome to the RTG club, Jimmy.
New recruits are always welcome.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Jul 2008 11:38

howser I think we will go with what we have got and do our business in January................a somewhat familiar ring about that one !!

where does it say that?

it does say :
With Glen Little going we need a right sider and we have our targets.”

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 10 Jul 2008 11:39

Jimmy the Tree I would argue that it is that difficult:-

If the player is any good (and I'm assuming that we all want to sign good players!), then his Agent will not take an early offer, but wait as long as possible to see if the big boys come in for him.

What is his attitude like, will he fit in? Not easy to determine until met him a few times etc.

If he is any good then won't have been released on a free etc, so need to approach the owning club, get agreement to speak to him all takes time.

I could go on, but it has been said a million times already.

I am firmly in the RTG camp so we won't agree.

Oh, I see...so we're in a queuing system like at Waitrose. We'll just wait our turn then...patiently and then get some scraps. :roll:

We won't buy until we sell...and therefore have a 'budget'.

BBTSA

by BBTSA » 10 Jul 2008 11:39

I believe you have zero football knowledge, brendy

Jimmy the Tree

by Jimmy the Tree » 10 Jul 2008 11:49

Oh, I see...so we're in a queuing system like at Waitrose. We'll just wait our turn then...patiently and then get some scraps.

I would think it is more like selling a house in the Boom times, get your offers in, then play one off against the other to get the best deal. You don't just take the first offer.

We won't buy until we sell...and therefore have a 'budget'.

I think everybody would agree that we will always have a budget, not sure if the right wing problem would come under the 'wait until sell policy' (at least I hope not).

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Jul 2008 11:49

BBTSA I believe you have zero football knowledge, brendy

you may believe what you like-thats your perogative young man.
i do support reading-that has to call at least my judgement into question

do i know you?

also-i know that jimmy hill was instrunemtal in removing the wage cap for english football
thats 1 bit of football knowledge-therefore blowing your "zero" assertion out of the water

i do however wish i knew as much about football as you do.in fact i think i wish i was you

Richi Royal

by Richi Royal » 10 Jul 2008 11:55

Not anytime soon by looks of things

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/articles/2/3524

READING deny they are pricing their players out of the market in a bid to scare off their rivals.

Royals have received at least two official bids from Premier League clubs in the past week for their players, thought to be Nicky Shorey and James Harper, both of which were flatly refused as neither matched their valuation.

Now Royals have hit back at suggestions in the national press that their expectations are unrealistic.

Director or football Nick Hammond told the Chronicle: “We’ve had a couple of offers but nothing we would consider serious or could tempt us.

“We know the numbers involved in the Premier League because we’ve been through the process ourselves. The quotes we were given were very significant and there are players in our squad who will be desirable to other clubs.

“Those who proved they can perform at that level have a certain value. Unless someone is willing to pay that price the player will stay with us, it’s as simple as that.

“All our players are under contract. They were happy and content to sign them at the time. Having said that, Steve has made it clear he wants players who want to be here and to play for the club.

“If someone shows an absolute desire to leave, we will react to it, but no-one is going on the cheap.”

Harper has previously been linked with Middlesbrough but this week it was suggested Bolton’s Gary Megson is also in hot pursuit.

Megson confirmed he has already captured two of his three targets in Fabrice Muamba and Johan Elmander and Harper is rumoured to be the third.

However, it is believed Bolton will not offer more than £3 million for the central midfielder which is short of Reading valuation.

“There has been interest in more than one of our players,” said Hammond. “But there’s a lot of talk and nothing of any real consequence unless a realistic offer is put on the table. We’re not at that stage.”

Meanwhile, Hammond insists Royals are not closing in on any signings of their own, though a shortlist of specific targets has been drawn up.

Dundee United winger Noel Hunt, brother of Reading winger Stephen, Crystal Palace’s Ben Watson, Wolves’ imposing midfielder Seyi Olofinjana and Swansea’s Ferrie Bodde have all been linked with a move to the Madejski Stadium.

Coppell may also look to sign a new forward with intense speculation surrounding the futures of strikers Kevin Doyle, Dave Kitson and Leroy Lita. But contrary to reports there is no interest in Celtic’s Derek Riordan.

Hammond said: “Brian McDermott (chief scout) and I put a number of possibilities to Steve Coppell. At this time he has decided not to pursue any of those.

“He’s happy with the squad and he does not want to move forward with any of the names we have provided.”

But Hammond insisted funds are available: “I have to manage the budget as directed by the chairman and the board and give Steve what he wants.

“The fact he decided to stay was a big bonus for us and we have to give him what he needs to be successful and take us back to the Premier League.

“I am keeping him informed on everything that is going on. There won’t be a deal made in the Championship that he doesn’t know about, or could have been potentially involved in.”

Coppell himself has not ruled out trawling the lower divisions for bargain buys this summer either.

The likes of Kitson, Doyle and Hunt all were all picked up on the cheap and Coppell said: “We’ve always tried to buy 'young and hungry.’ It’s the very nature of this club.

“Sometimes we compromise but our mentality is to sign players with something to prove. They are hard to find but you’ve got to back your judgement.”

And Coppell is not frightened to look abroad either: “In terms of overseas players, the bigger clubs are more attractive. The promoted sides from the Championship will struggle to attract the better players.

“From our point of view this season, we will take players from anywhere who want to play for us. That’s very important.”

Reading are also searching for a new right-winger to replace the departed Glen Little and John Oster.

“The squad is unbalanced,” admitted Coppell. “We’ve got something like seven or eight centre-halves and with Glen Little going I could also do with another right-sider and we have our targets.

“We’re not close to bringing in anyone though we have to be flexible enough to have options if we are exposed in one position.”

l READING’S trip to Alan Pardew’s Charlton Athletic on Saturday, August 23 has been moved to a 12.45pm kick off and will be shown live on Sky Sports.

l STEVE Sidwell is due to complete a £5.5 million move from Chelsea to Aston Villa.

The two clubs agreed a fee yesterday (Wednesday) and the midfielder will sign subject to passing a medical.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Jul 2008 11:57

smoke and mirrors

i hope

who am i kidding-were going into the season with no one else, arent we?

BBTSA says so anyway
Last edited by brendywendy on 10 Jul 2008 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Jul 2008 11:58

what another thoroughly depressing interview. I really am a mug renewing that ST :evil:

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 10 Jul 2008 12:05

Alan Partridge what another thoroughly depressing interview. I really am a mug renewing that ST :evil:

That's crazy talk, it might get you a discount at Waitrose.

200 posts