Out of Contract 2022

1018 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Out of Contract 2022

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Jun 2022 21:40

Just looking at what we have, why not go for this (providing we can afford to keep some)?

Lumley
Holmes Moore McIntyre
Yiadom Tetek new MF New LWB
Ejaria
Joao Puscas/Meite

Meite did well in a 2 man attack when Clement was in charge, arguably his breakthrough, Joao is a menace and Puscas is obviously better in a 2. Of course, that will have to be a really good midfielder alongside Tetek and a solid LWB with some obvious squad players added in but it would leave us with Southwood, Dann and Dorsett to cover the back line which I'm content with.

We'd then need possibly another wing back that can cover both sides, a couple of midfielders and another creative player or two which may be doable.

Given our situation, I don't see why that team above can't survive another season and I don't see why we seemingly NEED to sign some wingers when we've got some really unorthodox wingers in the case of Ejaria for example.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 20 Jun 2022 18:13

JLow Tweeted earlier -
https://twitter.com/jonathanl50/status/ ... 6MZwg&s=19

By the looks of the academy players being back in today, Nelson Abbey, Jeriel Dorsett, Imari Samuels, Rashawn Scott, Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan and Nahum Melvin-Lambert are among the #readingfc youngsters to have agreed new deals. Understand Tyrell Ashcroft is moving on, however

Followed more recently by:

Congratulations, @jeriel_dorsett!

The 20-year-old defender extends his time with #ReadingFC by a further year after a clause in his contract was triggered!

https://t.co/JCfm7yYuKI

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Jun 2022 18:19

morganb JLow Tweeted earlier -

By the looks of the academy players being back in today, Nelson Abbey, Jeriel Dorsett, Imari Samuels, Rashawn Scott, Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan and Nahum Melvin-Lambert are among the #readingfc youngsters to have agreed new deals. Understand Tyrell Ashcroft is moving on, however

The 20-year-old defender extends his time with #ReadingFC by a further year after a clause in his contract was triggered!

Here’s a brief interview he gave.

https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/15 ... gr%5Etweet

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 18:27

Good for Dorsett.

Thought Ashcroft had potential but was miles from the first team, so don't mind that. Good luck to him

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jun 2022 18:50

morganb JLow Tweeted earlier -

Overall good news

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 20:29

Dorsett comes across very well in his interview. Sounds bright, articulate and switched on. Obviously had an excellent loan at Rochdale. Really looking forward to seeing some of him this coming season.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jun 2022 21:16

It might not be the year for Dorsett to be involved seriously considering where we are but, where we can or if we can, I'm looking forward to seeing how he can perform at this level. Maybe another loan spell away might do him well or potentially a good squad role with ourselves.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jun 2022 21:33

YorkshireRoyal99 It might not be the year for Dorsett to be involved seriously considering where we are but, where we can or if we can, I'm looking forward to seeing how he can perform at this level. Maybe another loan spell away might do him well or potentially a good squad role with ourselves.

He should only go on loan if we sign him up for 2 or 3 years. If not, he stays else no point keeping him on.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Jun 2022 08:54

It is absolutely the right time to throw Dorsett in, he needs to be tested and we need to see if he is up to it. We have no expectations going into next season, no points deduction to unsettle us at the start of the season either. While the season is young lets get him in, trust him. If come January we can see he isn't quite ready then sure, get him out on loan lower down the leagues but we have to give him a shot imo.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jun 2022 08:56

Instead of who though? McIntyre moved into midfield and alongside Holmes? I'm not sure if I feel totally comfortable with that personally.

I'd have him as part of our squad, but wouldn't want his development hindered through a lack of game time and another 40+ games lower down the pyramid would likely be better for him than coming into our defence. If he's ready and good enough though, then fair enough lets do it.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Jun 2022 09:00

YorkshireRoyal99 Instead of who though? McIntyre moved into midfield and alongside Holmes? I'm not sure if I feel totally comfortable with that personally.

I'd have him as part of our squad, but wouldn't want his development hindered through a lack of game time and another 40+ games lower down the pyramid would likely be better for him than coming into our defence. If he's ready and good enough though, then fair enough lets do it.

I would personally go three at the back. Holmes, McIntyre and Dorsett. If Dorsett doesn't work out then we can always go to a back 4. Dorsett has a bit of pace, something we desperately need back there.

There is of course understandable concerns regarding him coming in straight away but what if he's fantastic? He could be. We will never know unless he's given the chance.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jun 2022 09:14

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99 Instead of who though? McIntyre moved into midfield and alongside Holmes? I'm not sure if I feel totally comfortable with that personally.

I would personally go three at the back. Holmes, McIntyre and Dorsett. If Dorsett doesn't work out then we can always go to a back 4. Dorsett has a bit of pace, something we desperately need back there.

There is of course understandable concerns regarding him coming in straight away but what if he's fantastic? He could be. We will never know unless he's given the chance.

Yeah true, I've mentioned a back 3 with Moore simply because of a more experienced player who I'd feel more comfortable with and there's no guarantee that we shift him on.

It's a young back 3 but if the quality is there then that will take care of itself in a lot of situations as well. Pre-season is a good opportunity for him to impress given the chance and of course the staff will see him daily in training to know.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jun 2022 09:32

I would imagine Dorsett gets his first start in the League Cup game in early August. Prob on the bench before that depending on who we are able to sign before then.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jun 2022 09:34

Dorsett could be very special - put him in there.

Azeez is the one we need to nail. That is a very talented footballer. Could be sensational this season with a run in the team and free of injuries. Get it done Reading FC.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jun 2022 10:42

I liked the look of Dorsett. Looked pretty tall, good in the air and if he does have a bit of pace he could be a very useful player

Not sure there’s a world of difference between div1 and 2 so ideally not another loan unless he isn’t in the first team squad

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Jun 2022 11:04

NathStPaul It is absolutely the right time to throw Dorsett in, he needs to be tested and we need to see if he is up to it. We have no expectations going into next season, no points deduction to unsettle us at the start of the season either. While the season is young lets get him in, trust him. If come January we can see he isn't quite ready then sure, get him out on loan lower down the leagues but we have to give him a shot imo.

Totally agree. He’s not a complete novice. He’s done well in a full season on loan. Holmes and McIntyre have a couple of Yeats’s experience under their belt.
Now is the time to trust our players, not keep finding reasons not to play them.
I’d be worried if we were thinking we’d be playing Strickland or Holzman every week but Dorsett is significantly ahead of them in terms of development.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Jun 2022 11:06

From what I've read, Dorsett is an old school centre back. Strong, good in the air, just generally good at defending. But he's not great with the ball at his feet and playing out from the back.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Jun 2022 11:19

Would rather our defenders can defend than play 50 yard passes accurately tbh. Hoping we keep things extremely basic at the back next season.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Jun 2022 11:29

+1 re: the love for Dorsett. Well spoken chap. Hope he goes far.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jun 2022 11:31

Nameless
NathStPaul It is absolutely the right time to throw Dorsett in, he needs to be tested and we need to see if he is up to it. We have no expectations going into next season, no points deduction to unsettle us at the start of the season either. While the season is young lets get him in, trust him. If come January we can see he isn't quite ready then sure, get him out on loan lower down the leagues but we have to give him a shot imo.

Totally agree. He’s not a complete novice. He’s done well in a full season on loan. Holmes and McIntyre have a couple of Yeats’s experience under their belt.
Now is the time to trust our players, not keep finding reasons not to play them.
I’d be worried if we were thinking we’d be playing Strickland or Holzman every week but Dorsett is significantly ahead of them in terms of development.

Providing we believe he is capable at this level, I'm happy for that. He was speaking a bit about looking forward to working with the group and the U23's, Hunt etc, so would probably rather him move on loan, preferably to a L1 club, rather than be in the U23's in the week.

If we can use him in our first team squad, not adverse to that though either. Time will tell.

1018 posts