Relegation

1865 posts
under the tin

Re: Relegation

by under the tin » 26 Aug 2021 09:04

Once upon a time . But also , the manager has to play to a method and pattern that gets the best out of the players at his disposal . Here I think Paunovic struggles , he seems to believe in a certain pattern of play and expect the players to be able to play to it , they keep proving that they can’t , but he fails to change the pattern .

When I was reading this bit, my mind was cast back to a certain B. Rodgers....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Aug 2021 12:06

under the tin
Once upon a time . But also , the manager has to play to a method and pattern that gets the best out of the players at his disposal . Here I think Paunovic struggles , he seems to believe in a certain pattern of play and expect the players to be able to play to it , they keep proving that they can’t , but he fails to change the pattern .

Jaap Stam

Jose Gomes.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Aug 2021 12:41

under the tin

Yep, but quite apart from that, a team needs to be able to change and adapt systems to match those which other temas are playing. having just one system is like playing rock/paper/scissors and playing rock every single time.

This inablity to adapt from a single system was Steve Coppell's failing in 2007/08.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Aug 2021 12:48

Dirk Gently
under the tin

Yep, but quite apart from that, a team needs to be able to change and adapt systems to match those which other temas are playing. having just one system is like playing rock/paper/scissors and playing rock every single time.

This inablity to adapt from a single system was Steve Coppell's failing in 2007/08.

Pretty sure it was actually making som shit signings and having your best players stop performing.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Aug 2021 13:30

Snowflake Royal
Dirk Gently
under the tin

Pretty sure it was actually making som shit signings and having your best players stop performing.

Wally Downes pleased with him to change the system and put 5 in midfield for the Fulham home match and play for a draw but he wouldn't, saying "We play 4-4-2...". Not losing that single match would have kept us up.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Aug 2021 16:58

Donny Ironside
Hendo
Donny Ironside
I know it does not mean he did not do it, and he may well be a thick racist, but as a footballer he is a role model.

Chelsea captain. CL winner. PL winner. One of the best 5 defenders the league has seen.

As a person maybe not but you cannot doubt his quality as a footballer.

Agreed, if you wanted someone to come in and be a role model for defenders based on football ability only, you'd be hard pressed to find someone better than Terry.

+1

Basically my point. Hence my saying I would not mind him as a manager at all.

Yeah as somebody to look upto as a person, might not be all that. But he would

1) Sort the oxf*rd out of our defence
2) Know enough people in the game to be able to get us some loans
3) Motivate our players. Imagine being a young player in the Academy or under 23s and having him as a manager, somebody you watched lead England out to World Cups and win CL's with Chelsea. They would be chomping at the bit to work with him.
4) He would be hungry and eager to manage a team and prove he can cut it.

If we judge people or vilify things on things they may have done and then basically tell them we do not want them as a club, we would have a very slim oxf*rd choice of managers to choose from.

I’m not sure why you’re phrasing this as a hypothetical and not a known.

We recently had one of the best defenders to play in this country in recent years as our manager. It didn’t sort our defence out. Lots of young players talked about it being good to have him around (although frankly I very much doubt the likes of McIntyre and Holmes can sincerely remember Stam leaving United in 2001 or were following his progress at Lazio in 2004…) but he ultimately only really bought through a couple of young players.

Knowing people in the game isn’t really an obstacle for us. The club has had plenty of good loans in recent years - Ejaria from Liverpool, Baker from Chelsea, Martinez from Arsenal, etc.

Derby have a recent England captain as their manager - and unlike Terry, he’s an actual Champions League winner rather than someone who just watched Ryan Bertrand win. How much more motivated do you think that has made them? What about Arteta at Arsenal? Pirlo at Juventus? Campbell at Southend? The Neville brothers? Lampard at Chelsea? Solskjaer?

Hungry and eager manager - probably applies more to managers who aren’t established multi-millionaires with successful media careers. And you know what - most of them haven’t been convicted of racism by the FA.

Maybe Terry turns out to be the next Cruyff. Fine. But there’s really no reason to think he will be and a very good reason to think he won’t be.

(And off topic, but for me the top 5 centre backs in Premier League history would be Ferdinand, Kompany, Van Dijk, Carvalho, and Adams, with Terry alongside the likes of Campbell and Vidic in the group below)

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 26 Aug 2021 17:02

SCIAG
Donny Ironside
Hendo
Agreed, if you wanted someone to come in and be a role model for defenders based on football ability only, you'd be hard pressed to find someone better than Terry.

+1

Basically my point. Hence my saying I would not mind him as a manager at all.

Yeah as somebody to look upto as a person, might not be all that. But he would

1) Sort the oxf*rd out of our defence
2) Know enough people in the game to be able to get us some loans
3) Motivate our players. Imagine being a young player in the Academy or under 23s and having him as a manager, somebody you watched lead England out to World Cups and win CL's with Chelsea. They would be chomping at the bit to work with him.
4) He would be hungry and eager to manage a team and prove he can cut it.

If we judge people or vilify things on things they may have done and then basically tell them we do not want them as a club, we would have a very slim oxf*rd choice of managers to choose from.

I’m not sure why you’re phrasing this as a hypothetical and not a known.

We recently had one of the best defenders to play in this country in recent years as our manager. It didn’t sort our defence out. Lots of young players talked about it being good to have him around (although frankly I very much doubt the likes of McIntyre and Holmes can sincerely remember Stam leaving United in 2001 or were following his progress at Lazio in 2004…) but he ultimately only really bought through a couple of young players.

Knowing people in the game isn’t really an obstacle for us. The club has had plenty of good loans in recent years - Ejaria from Liverpool, Baker from Chelsea, Martinez from Arsenal, etc.

Derby have a recent England captain as their manager - and unlike Terry, he’s an actual Champions League winner rather than someone who just watched Ryan Bertrand win. How much more motivated do you think that has made them? What about Arteta at Arsenal? Pirlo at Juventus? Campbell at Southend? The Neville brothers? Lampard at Chelsea? Solskjaer?

Hungry and eager manager - probably applies more to managers who aren’t established multi-millionaires with successful media careers. And you know what - most of them haven’t been convicted of racism by the FA.

Maybe Terry turns out to be the next Cruyff. Fine. But there’s really no reason to think he will be and a very good reason to think he won’t be.

(And off topic, but for me the top 5 centre backs in Premier League history would be Ferdinand, Kompany, Van Dijk, Carvalho, and Adams, with Terry alongside the likes of Campbell and Vidic in the group below)

Sorry, I was going to reply but to not have Vidic in the top 5 Premier League CBs of all time, and to have Carvalho and arguably VVD over him is absolute oxf*rd madness and laughable

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Aug 2021 18:09

Have we worked out which wind up merchant Donny is btw?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 Aug 2021 19:13

Snowflake Royal Have we worked out which wind up merchant Donny is btw?

Believe it is DD's burner account.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 27 Aug 2021 11:00

:?:

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 28 Aug 2021 16:53

Paunovic is guiding us down

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 28 Aug 2021 17:04

1 win out of 5 in a reasonably decent start opposition-wise. Pauno has to be under pressure now. He’s far from convincing

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2021 17:20

Play like that against Fulham and its going to be 6/7/8

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Aug 2021 17:26

Snowflake Royal Play like that against QPR and its going to be 6/7/8

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2021 17:35

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Play like that against QPR and its going to be 6/7/8

God, hadn't let myself notice QPR flying high.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Aug 2021 17:36

I've only been saying it for 4 years

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 28 Aug 2021 17:58

Simmops I've only been saying it for 4 years

Saying what?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Aug 2021 18:36

SouthDownsRoyal

Saying what?

We're going down

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 28 Aug 2021 18:40

Simmops
SouthDownsRoyal

Saying what?

We're going down

So you were wrong three years a row m9?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Aug 2021 18:43

Notts Royal 1 win out of 5 in a reasonably decent start opposition-wise. Pauno has to be under pressure now. He’s far from convincing

Of the teams we have played 2 have 10 points from 5 and sit in the top 6.

Coventry have won 3 and sit 7th.

So whilst on paper an easy start 3 of our opponents are early pace setters - admittedly partly suetonius beating us.

1865 posts